EVGA

Helpful ReplyIMPORTANT suggestion to remove CLICKING FAN NOISE PROBLEM

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
juan1103
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: IMPORTANT suggestion to remove CLICKING FAN NOISE PROBLEM 2019/04/05 00:36:18 (permalink)
but anyway my fans make noise when turning on the pc .. I have an ftw3 2080
juan1103
Re: IMPORTANT suggestion to remove CLICKING FAN NOISE PROBLEM 2019/04/05 00:42:29 (permalink)
Hi. I have an ftw3 2080 and I have contacted evga eu and they have told me that there is no solution for now, unlike what you say in forums and videos. Every time I turn on the pc the fans make the noise. Each one of the fans make the noise.
juan1103
Re: IMPORTANT suggestion to remove CLICKING FAN NOISE PROBLEM 2019/04/05 00:44:18 (permalink)
Anyway I have the vents to work over 20% always but when I turn on the pc the 3 fans of my 2080 ftw3 make the noise.
JacobB
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 522
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: IMPORTANT suggestion to remove CLICKING FAN NOISE PROBLEM 2019/04/05 11:42:29 (permalink)
AlgernonX
Dear Admin, please pass this IMPORTANT recommendation to the software (or firmware) development team. I have an RTX 2080 Ultra, which I bought because of the promise of much more silent fans. Before buying it, I read various users complaining that they can often hear a clicking noise from the fans. I thought it'd be some unlucky users who got a slightly faulty fan. BUT I have the same problem (it's very annoying) and the reason is not faulty fans. Fans are turning off when the GPU temperature is below 55 degrees Celsius. That's a great feature, but the problem is that the software checks for the temperature very frequently and turns off the fans immediately once the temperature drops below 55 degrees. It just so happens that with a room temperature of about 22 degrees, during standard (non gaming) tasks my card's GPU seems to oscillate almost always between 54 and 55 degrees. So what happens is that the software turns off the fans at 54 degrees, half a second later the temperature is 55 degrees, fans turn on, then again half a second later the temperature is 54 degrees, fans turn off. And this creates a really annoying clicking noise, PLUS i wonder how long the fan engine life will be when you constantly turn the fans on and off.

Late to this post, but in Precision X1, you can turn on Temperature Hysteresis and set it to 5 Celsius. You also would be able to adjust the hardware polling period to allow for it to check for updates every 5 seconds (5,000 ms) from the default value of 1 second (1,000 ms).

When setting Temperature Hysteresis on, it greatly minimizes unwanted, and frequent fan speed fluctuations. This is most useful when the temperature is fluctuating above and under step points. 

For example, we will use the following stepped fan curve:
40% for temperatures lower than 60C
100% for temperatures higher than 60C

Without hysteresis once the temperature reaches 60 Celsius, (changes from 59 to 60), the fan speed changes to 100%. Then GPU then quickly cools down to 59C due to the increased fan speed, causing the fan speed to immediately change to 40%. So the temperatures would fluctuate between curve points, causing the fans to rapidly change between 100% and 40%.
If you were to set hysteresis to 5 Celsius, the fan will speed up to 100%, and when temperatures change from 59C to 60C, the software will set the temperature to not change until it is back to 5 Celsius under the 60C step. Precision X1 will no longer allow the fan speed to decrease while the temperature is higher than 55 Celsius.

Hope this helps out! :)

-Jacob B.
juan1103
Re: IMPORTANT suggestion to remove CLICKING FAN NOISE PROBLEM 2019/04/05 15:01:47 (permalink)
mr_scary
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 426
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: IMPORTANT suggestion to remove CLICKING FAN NOISE PROBLEM 2019/04/05 18:58:07 (permalink)
I would check that your card is not at High Idle clock speed.
when I boot my PC my idle clock is 1230MHZ which my card runs in the 55c range causing the fans spin ON, and OFF.
I have to toggle my main display power OFF/ON to get the clocks to idle correct.
which in turn drops my temps back to 30s

High Idle Clocks RTX 2080

juan1103
Re: IMPORTANT suggestion to remove CLICKING FAN NOISE PROBLEM 2019/04/06 01:37:32 (permalink)
How do I solve that? The thing is that when I put the fans to 0 in x1 and then I put them to 20 for example manually, one by one they make the noise.
JacobB
SSC Member
Re: IMPORTANT suggestion to remove CLICKING FAN NOISE PROBLEM 2019/04/06 10:10:17 (permalink)
juan1103

The fans should make noise when turning on the PC as by default, they should ramp up to 100% for a brief second before slowly spinning down. This should also be true with your case fans. This is sort of a protection feature for the system as it starts to POST.

-Jacob B.
juan1103
Re: IMPORTANT suggestion to remove CLICKING FAN NOISE PROBLEM 2019/04/06 10:26:47 (permalink)
its not normal sound. Its the clicking sound!!!! 
JacobB
SSC Member
Re: IMPORTANT suggestion to remove CLICKING FAN NOISE PROBLEM 2019/04/06 10:35:59 (permalink)
juan1103

Clicking is also normal due to how the bearings that are used in the fans are designed. Since these are Hydro-Dynamic bearings, they rely on movement to be lubricated. When the fans sit idle, the fluid stays stagnant. Upon the fans starting to spin, the fluid quickly starts to lubricate the bearing, but you will hear a faint clicking noise for a brief moment. There should not be a concern about this.

-Jacob B.
lukeman3000
  • Total Posts : 22
Re: IMPORTANT suggestion to remove CLICKING FAN NOISE PROBLEM 2019/04/08 21:27:57 (permalink)
EVGATech_JacobB
juan1103

Clicking is also normal due to how the bearings that are used in the fans are designed. Since these are Hydro-Dynamic bearings, they rely on movement to be lubricated. When the fans sit idle, the fluid stays stagnant. Upon the fans starting to spin, the fluid quickly starts to lubricate the bearing, but you will hear a faint clicking noise for a brief moment. There should not be a concern about this.

-Jacob B.

I'm no engineer but I'm pretty sure that the noise heard in this video is not the result of bearings losing lubrication quickly and multiple times over the span of a few seconds, but rather, the fans hitting a sagging wire at start up, and after they're spinning quickly enough, the wire doesn't interact with the fan blades in the same way that it does at slower speeds, so the noise is reduced/eliminated.

https://youtu.be/38EnxbsB1Hg
Taki_38
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: IMPORTANT suggestion to remove CLICKING FAN NOISE PROBLEM 2019/05/20 12:05:53 (permalink)
Hello all,
I bought a new EVGA RTX2070 and I had same issue with the clicking noise every each second. It drives me crazy and I was confused why so many reviews about it told that it is a quiet card.
Even people who changed it by RMA had the issue again and again. So I searched for not an Hardware issue but a software issue.
Different NVIDIA power management settings did not the trick.
Idle temp was 55 degrees and as said in this thread it is kind of high for idle temp even if EVGA has reputation to not be especially cold. it was not due to the case because I had 970 and 1070 and never had this kind of issue.
After some night digging, it appears that my monitor was set to 144 hz and in this mode GPU has automatically 7000 Mhz Memory and 1095 Mhz Core in Precision X1.
Setting to 120 Hz, I have now 405 Mhz Memory and 200 Mhz Core (same as 60 Hz). Idle temp is now 40 degrees in a 20 degrees room with default curve (so no fan) and seems perfect to me.
This issue is now fixed and I am glad !
Maybe 144 hz is a defect but to me 120 Hz is acceptable.
I hope it can help people ! :)
Now I can watch last episode of Game of Thrones and enjoy it !!
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31005
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: IMPORTANT suggestion to remove CLICKING FAN NOISE PROBLEM 2019/05/20 13:30:31 (permalink)
Taki_38
Hello all,

This issue is now fixed and I am glad !
Maybe 144 hz is a defect but to me 120 Hz is acceptable.
I hope it can help people ! :)
Now I can watch last episode of Game of Thrones and enjoy it !!

Why do my GPU clocks remain high when my system is idle?
FAQ ID # 59708

Talks about what you learned & much more

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Taki_38
Re: IMPORTANT suggestion to remove CLICKING FAN NOISE PROBLEM 2019/05/21 00:19:10 (permalink)
Oh my god, google has not be my best friend for this time ! :)
Thank you for your post ;)
randomnut
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: IMPORTANT suggestion to remove CLICKING FAN NOISE PROBLEM 2019/05/23 06:56:54 (permalink)
I have a 2080 XC Ultra and this noise is driving me absolutely MAD. Especially after the card has been used, like after a gaming session, and the card hovers around the temp the fans want to turn off.

CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, CLICK, CLICK until it settles down.

PLEASE, EVGA, just release a bios that allows us to permantly have the fans spinning at a low speed. I don't want to have to set a fan curve and have precision running all the time.

MSI have the option in the gaming app to disable the feature that turns the fans off and saves it to the card so you don't need the app running. EVGA please do something similar.

You have chosen fans which are far far far too noisy, please help do something about it.
Copyright
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: IMPORTANT suggestion to remove CLICKING FAN NOISE PROBLEM 2019/09/18 08:43:54 (permalink)
EVGA,

I am on my 2nd card and same noise.  Constant throttle.  X1 has been buggy for me and upon reboot no matter how many times I save etc it wont keep the fan setting to NOT stop.  I will NEVER buy another EVGA video card again if I can't get this resolved.  I have had many other video cards with total stop fans and NEVER had any of them make this noise.  I have had many other hydro dynamic bearings since the freakin Panaflo fans and NEVER heard this type of noise.  My buddies MSI is DEAD silent when his fans kick on and off.  You guys don't seem willing to offer a better solution than just using X1 to band aid the problem.  I am just super disappointed as I am one of the guys who frequents SilentPcReview because I do NOT like noise.  We just need the fan to where its spinning VERY VERY VERY slowly at idle so when it ramps up its not creating the click noise.  There should be a one button click option for this or bios update.  

Regards,

I very loyal customer for many years..
DeadlyMercury
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 422
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: IMPORTANT suggestion to remove CLICKING FAN NOISE PROBLEM 2019/09/18 09:08:40 (permalink)
lukeman3000
I'm no engineer but I'm pretty sure that the noise heard in this video is not the result of bearings losing lubrication quickly and multiple times over the span of a few seconds, but rather, the fans hitting a sagging wire at start up, and after they're spinning quickly enough, the wire doesn't interact with the fan blades in the same way that it does at slower speeds, so the noise is reduced/eliminated.

https://youtu.be/38EnxbsB1Hg

No, it is either bearing or some electric noise. It is not wire or something like that. I have hybrid with same issue (fan start clicking idle sometimes, it has 9% RPM set, but can't maintain it so it stops and starts again and again) - same sound, but I am 100% sure that there is no wires anywhere near fan blades.
I don't mind if fan click one time at start - but it is doing it all the time :)
post edited by DeadlyMercury - 2019/09/18 09:11:15

"An original idea. That can't be too hard. The library must be full of them."
Stephen Fry
damiengu
Re: IMPORTANT suggestion to remove CLICKING FAN NOISE PROBLEM 2019/09/19 22:52:18 (permalink)
Mine sounds just like this and I understand why some people think it isn't the wire as if you turn the fan it doesn't touch... However just as the fan spins up it very slightly fluctuates, just enough to rub against the fan cable for a fraction of a second and make this noise.  I know that's my situation as if I press the cable in and flatten it a bit carefully the noise goes away... only to return again later after the cable has returned to it's normal position.

This is my second 2080 Ti Black Edition with exactly the same behavior.  EVGA are claiming it's normal for your PC to sound like a Gateway era PC with a big noisy mechanical hard drive simply because they don't want to admit it's a design fault and have to deal with thousands of potential returns.  I've never heard anything like this on any of my previous cards including my EVGA 680, 980 or 1080Ti... or any other card I've ever owned.

Unable to link or attach video...

post edited by damiengu - 2019/09/19 23:07:13
wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5679
  • Ribbons : 40
Re: IMPORTANT suggestion to remove CLICKING FAN NOISE PROBLEM 2019/09/19 23:06:55 (permalink)
damiengu
Mine sounds just like this (video attached) and I understand why some people think it isn't the wire as if you turn the fan it doesn't touch... However just as the fan spins up it very slightly fluctuates, just enough to rub against the fan cable for a fraction of a second and make this noise.  I know that's my situation as if I press the cable in and flatten it a bit carefully the noise goes away... only to return again later after the cable has returned to it's normal position.

This is my second 2080 Ti Black Edition with exactly the same behavior.  EVGA are claiming it's normal for your PC to sound like a Gateway era PC with a big noisy mechanical hard drive simply because they don't want to admit it's a design fault and have to deal with thousands of potential returns.  I've never heard anything like this on any of my previous cards including my EVGA 680, 980 or 1080Ti... or any other card I've ever owned.

If you can move the cable in, then why cant you tape it down, wire tie it away, zip tie it etc....?? Your video is not attached cause you don't have enough posts to do that yet in the forums.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
 Help Our Vets From K-2!
[link=https://strongholdfreedom
damiengu
Re: IMPORTANT suggestion to remove CLICKING FAN NOISE PROBLEM 2019/09/19 23:08:53 (permalink)
wmmills
If you can move the cable in, then why cant you tape it down, wire tie it away, zip tie it etc....?? Your video is not attached cause you don't have enough posts to do that yet in the forums.

It's not a case of moving it in it's a case of flattening it further against the heatsink.  Any ziptie or tape would add thickness that would negate the small amount needed to move it.  Super glue might be the only option but:

a. It might void my warranty
b. It might not stay stuck given it's hot constantly expanding/contracting metal
c. A $1000 graphics card should just work without homemade hacks
wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5679
  • Ribbons : 40
Re: IMPORTANT suggestion to remove CLICKING FAN NOISE PROBLEM 2019/09/19 23:34:10 (permalink)
damiengu
wmmills

It's not a case of moving it in it's a case of flattening it further against the heatsink.  Any ziptie or tape would add thickness that would negate the small amount needed to move it.  Super glue might be the only option but:

a. It might void my warranty
b. It might not stay stuck given it's hot constantly expanding/contracting metal
c. A $1000 graphics card should just work without homemade hacks

Don't do super glue, it WILL ruin your warranty. Anything permanent like that will. C..... I couldn't agree more, but reality is that we run across these little things from time to time and have to do a little cleanup or simple mod. If you want to RMA for the wire im sure you certainly can, but if its a good card lottery-wise then remember you will lose that card and be given a different one. Imo, I wouldn't and I would have had the card apart after day 1 testing anyway for proper , better, TIM application, lapping, cleaning and polishing. You can take it apart too, no warranty voiding unless you break something, to do this quick fix and go about enjoying your life.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
 Help Our Vets From K-2!
[link=https://strongholdfreedom
DeadlyMercury
iCX Member
Re: IMPORTANT suggestion to remove CLICKING FAN NOISE PROBLEM 2019/09/20 01:54:42 (permalink)
damiengu
Mine sounds just like this and I understand why some people think it isn't the wire as if you turn the fan it doesn't touch... However just as the fan spins up it very slightly fluctuates, just enough to rub against the fan cable for a fraction of a second and make this noise.  I know that's my situation as if I press the cable in and flatten it a bit carefully the noise goes away... only to return again later after the cable has returned to it's normal position.

First of all - it can't hit a cable with a single blade. Second - noise comes not when fan already spinning - but when fan just start turning, blade has very low speed to hit a wire with such sound.
And also where is no cable under fan in my case (hybrid) - it is hidden inside vrm radiator. So blade can't hit cable because in that case it should hit radiator first.

Stephen Fry
johnpombrio
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: IMPORTANT suggestion to remove CLICKING FAN NOISE PROBLEM 2020/02/03 18:29:49 (permalink)
OK folks, I got the problem to consistently repeat while I was watching the fans. The clicking is indeed a noise that is created when the fan starts from a full stop. EVERY ONE OF THE FANS DOES THIS. So it is NOT a fan hitting a wire or the case. It is not due to the fans being horizontal or vertical. It simply is the kind of bearing EVGA uses that makes the fan initially run "backwards" for a few milliseconds when starting up and makes the click when the fan starts to spin the other way for normal operation. If you have a really quiet computer, this is definitely noticeable and happens a lot.

There is really only one solution that I have found. KEEP THE FANS RUNNING ALL THE TIME. At 25-30% RPM, they are dead quiet and you will never notice them. This is not that simple to do tho, heh. In Precision X1 version 1.0.2.0, I tried MANY different settings that did not work. Hint, make sure to hit APPLY and SAVE after making a change. Hysteresis? Nope. 1 to 20C and still they idle and start, idle and start. Fan speed update period 1-10,000ms? Idle and start. Setting the fans to 30% in the FAN SPEED section? Idle and start. Some other tries with no luck. Enough of this!

THE SOLUTION IS TO HAVE THE FAN CURVE CONTROL BOX CHECKED and have the fan curves on a sort of halfway between aggressive and quiet for normally quiet operation. This solution only works if Precision X1 is running in the background, however. Click on the boxes in settings that say "Start with OS", "Start minimized", "apply previous setting on load", and  uncheck "load splash screen" (hit Apply and Save after these changes, heh). If you have Precision X1 running in its normal size, just use the minimize button up on top to shove it into the notification area. A small price to pay.

For my custom fan curve settings: On FIRST FAN ONLY 27% fan speed to 60C,  the next box goes to 55% at 70 and 75% at 76C. This is the fan of the GPU chip and gets the hottest. The other two fans, 27% to 60, 45% at 70 and 55% at 76. If you are heavily overclocked, by all means, make these more aggressive.

This is the solution to the clicking. It would be nice to have the fans idle more as I use this as a PLEX server so it is on 24/7 but I can live with fans running as long as they are quiet. I would also like not to have the X1 program running all the time as it uses CPU cycles.

Playing a game, I have my headphones on and let the fans rev up as I won't hear them.

edit restored from Spam filter by Cool GTX
post edited by Cool GTX - 2020/02/04 13:31:07

Attached Image(s)

johnpombrio
Re: IMPORTANT suggestion to remove CLICKING FAN NOISE PROBLEM 2020/02/04 08:51:35 (permalink)
Double post
post edited by johnpombrio - 2020/02/04 22:05:37
johnpombrio
Re: IMPORTANT suggestion to remove CLICKING FAN NOISE PROBLEM 2020/02/04 08:53:48 (permalink)
Double post

post edited by johnpombrio - 2020/02/04 22:06:43
DeadlyMercury
iCX Member
Re: IMPORTANT suggestion to remove CLICKING FAN NOISE PROBLEM 2020/02/04 09:04:01 (permalink)
or you can just add "turn on" step. For example default curve is slowly rising from 0% to 20% in 40-50C area - that means it will clicks at 45C. Because rpm will be like 10% here and fans cant turn that slowly, so it will just turn on and off and click every time.
Instead of this default curve you can get a step like: <45C - 0%, 45C = 20% - so fan will turn on at 45C and continue spin and follow your curve.
Also you can add hysteresis so if your temperature fluctuate near 45C - it will not turn fan on when gpu reaches 45C and turn it off when gpu temp is 44C again and again: if you set your hysteresis to 2C - fan will turn on at 47C and turn of at 43C.

Stephen Fry
Andreassantonio
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: IMPORTANT suggestion to remove CLICKING FAN NOISE PROBLEM 2020/05/28 11:12:43 (permalink)
Hi! Someone tried to flash the BIOS from another card? For example, according to the parameters of the ports and frequencies, the BIOS from MSI RTX 2080 Super (Gaming X Trio) is suitable. But whether everything will work is not known. Sorry for bad english.
Andreassantonio
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: IMPORTANT suggestion to remove CLICKING FAN NOISE PROBLEM 2020/10/19 11:26:45 (permalink)
I SOLVED THE PROBLEM WITH THE NOISE OF FANS! I will give an example for my RTX 2080 Super XC Ultra. Now I'll tell you in more detail. The original EVGA bios (I tried all versions from different EVGA cards) have some kind of fan error. The essence of the error is that when the temperature drops to about 55 degrees and the load on the video card is small, the fans are constantly turned on and off in the range of 54-56 degrees. This sound is annoying when playing undemanding games, because the start-stop occurs constantly and makes sounds. The problem was solved with the BIOS firmware from Palit RTX 2080 Super GameRock! I tried bios from gigabyte, but the problem is that only one fan is working, and the second fan is constantly spinning at low speeds, so it did not fit. So if you are worried about constant continuous rustling at low card loads, palit's bios solves that problem! But of course the sound of the very start of the fans will not go anywhere, but at least it will not occur at short intervals! I think that with the rest of the RTX20XX cards, you can pick up a bios from a similar palit. Also you can  flash the BIOS from KFA2 if you do not want fan-stop function, in idle time they will spin at 1100 rpm, or reference Nvidia Bios with idle time spin at 1500 rpm.
I must say right away that the frequencies of other bios are slightly lower, so you will lose from 1 to 3% of performance.
P.S. Sorry for bad English.
post edited by Andreassantonio - 2020/10/20 07:42:25
Womble560
  • Total Posts : 53
Re: IMPORTANT suggestion to remove CLICKING FAN NOISE PROBLEM 2020/10/31 02:45:36 (permalink)
Hi. I had the same problem with my Evga Geforce RTX 2060 Super XC Ultra Gaming turning on and off every few seconds. I read someone changed his Power setting in Nvidia Control Panel. Go to Manage 3d settings and under Power Management mode change it to ADAPTIVE. So i tried this and it works for me. Fans only come on now when gaming and not just when browsing emails etc. Hope this helps. 
Vektast
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: IMPORTANT suggestion to remove CLICKING FAN NOISE PROBLEM 2021/10/08 13:46:27 (permalink)
What the hell is going on with my 3060?
youtube.com/watch?v=DTXJn3lfyp4
post edited by Vektast - 2021/10/08 14:17:07
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile