EVGA

How to change the default boot display when running multiple monitors on 780ti Classified?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
jskibb
  • Total Posts : 27
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/07/04 15:11:24 (permalink)
I was wondering if there was a way to change the default port used during boot on my eVGA 780ti Classified? I am running 3 different displays. My primary is a Samsung monitor that is plugged into the display-port (it has to be in this port because its a 4k monitor) and I have another monitor which is plugged into the DVI port and then a TV that is plugged into the HDMI port. The computer will post to the display-port if it's the only monitor that is connected but I would really prefer it to default to that port since I always have the others connected too.

I am guessing this is something within the BIOS. If so, does anyone know of a modified BIOS that has this?

Thanks!

EDIT:

I CANNOT move the cables of the primary monitor. It uses the display-port because its a 4k monitor and requires a display-port to run at 4k with 60hz. This cannot be changed. I want the computer to post to the video cards display-port. Not the HDMI or DVI's.
post edited by jskibb - 2014/07/05 04:26:51

34 Replies Related Threads

Hillguy
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1320
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: How to change the default boot display when running multiple monitors on 780ti Classif 2014/07/04 15:50:25 (permalink)
    Just open the nvidia control panel , go to Control Multiple Displays , right click on the one you wish to make primary and just tick it off .

Hope this helps  

eVGA RTX 3090 Kingpin Hydrocopper | eVGA X299 Dark | Intel i9 10980XE | Heatkiller IV CPU Block | 32 GB GSkill Trident Z 3200  | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo | Dual Corsair AX1200i PSU's | Dual Koolance RP-1000 Pumps | Dual Koolance EHX-1320 4x120mm Rads | W10 | Asus PB278Q | Acer 20" | Razer Death Stalker | Razer Death Adder | Thermaltake Armor+
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: How to change the default boot display when running multiple monitors on 780ti Classif 2014/07/04 16:20:47 (permalink)
    Move the cables..... Once you are in Windows, set the default main screen you want. Simply unplug the cable from the one that is currently booting, and move that cable to the one you want the boot screen and bios to appear on. Take the cable that is now free and move it to the other monitor that used to have the boot screen.

Once complete, go into Windows, and configure the monitors and main display in the control panel.

Think simple. Don't make things complicated ;-)

P. S., if the computer is completely shut down when you do this, it won't know you disconnected any displays. If you are trying to get a specific display to show, and changing the cable won't work, try shuffling monitors.
    post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2014/07/04 16:23:44
    jskibb
    Re: How to change the default boot display when running multiple monitors on 780ti Classif 2014/07/05 04:22:18 (permalink)
    Hillguy
    Just open the nvidia control panel , go to Control Multiple Displays , right click on the one you wish to make primary and just tick it off .

Hope this helps  

As I stated, I want it for the primary boot display. Not what windows considers the primary when windows loads. Setting any drivers or settings in windows doesn't affect any post from the computer at boot time.
    jskibb
    Re: How to change the default boot display when running multiple monitors on 780ti Classif 2014/07/05 04:24:44 (permalink)
    Scarlet-Tech
    Move the cables..... Once you are in Windows, set the default main screen you want. Simply unplug the cable from the one that is currently booting, and move that cable to the one you want the boot screen and bios to appear on. Take the cable that is now free and move it to the other monitor that used to have the boot screen.

Once complete, go into Windows, and configure the monitors and main display in the control panel.

P. S., if the computer is completely shut down when you do this, it won't know you disconnected any displays. If you are trying to get a specific display to show, and changing the cable won't work, try shuffling monitors.

I guess you didn't get what I wrote. I CANNOT move the cables of the primary monitor. It uses the display-port because its a 4k monitor and requires a display-port to run at 4k with 60hz. This cannot be changed. I want the computer to post to the video cards display-port. Not the HDMI or DVI's.
    post edited by jskibb - 2014/07/05 04:32:54
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: How to change the default boot display when running multiple monitors on 780ti Classif 2014/07/05 04:40:41 (permalink)
    Try disconnecting any other monitor, except the one you want to display. Do a full system boot, and let it adapt to that connection. Shutdown and reconnect, and see if it stays on the display port. If not, then it sounds like someone from a higher tech background will have to advise, or your secondary/tertiary monitor will always be the boot display.
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: How to change the default boot display when running multiple monitors on 780ti Classif 2014/07/05 09:07:00 (permalink)
    jskibb
    Scarlet-Tech

I guess you didn't get what I wrote. I CANNOT move the cables of the primary monitor. It uses the display-port because its a 4k monitor and requires a display-port to run at 4k with 60hz. This cannot be changed. I want the computer to post to the video cards display-port. Not the HDMI or DVI's.

As far as I know, the display port initialzation order is DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort. You can't change the order of the boot initialization of the ports on the GPU. Since this is all occurring prior to the OS and drivers being loaded, no amount of fiddling with them will make any difference. The same with your motherboard BIOS it doesn't set GPU display port initialization order. This would have to be a change made to the GPU hardware/firmware.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

jskibb
    Re: How to change the default boot display when running multiple monitors on 780ti Classif 2014/07/05 13:57:38 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
    jskibb
    Scarlet-Tech

As far as I know, the display port initialzation order is DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort. You can't change the order of the boot initialization of the ports on the GPU. Since this is all occurring prior to the OS and drivers being loaded, no amount of fiddling with them will make any difference. The same with your motherboard BIOS it doesn't set GPU display port initialization order. This would have to be a change made to the GPU hardware/firmware.

I figured that is probably the case. It's not a big deal or anything. I was just hoping it was possible but I don't think it is without a modified BIOS/Firmware. Unfortunately, doing that myself is beyond my abilities. :(
    polishpaul
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: How to change the default boot display when running multiple monitors on 780ti Classif 2015/07/15 16:33:23 (permalink)
    I'm having the same problem. I had my card replaced under warranty and now it boots on my other (vertical) monitor which is a pain in the neck. There MUST be a way to undo this!
    adhee01
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: How to change the default boot display when running multiple monitors on 780ti Classif 2015/10/27 03:24:07 (permalink)
    Same problem!!! FIX THIS SOLUTION EVGA/NVIDIA !!!
    SavageThor
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re: How to change the default boot display when running multiple monitors on 780ti Classif 2016/01/28 07:44:26 (permalink)
    Try using display port to HDMI and dvi adapter cables. Then plug the main moniters in to DP1 and the adapter cables in to DP2 and DP3. That way the GPU sees all 3 moniters on DP and dvi and HDMI empty.
    EVGA_James
    EVGA Product Manager
    • Total Posts : 1026
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: How to change the default boot display when running multiple monitors on 780ti Classif 2016/01/28 13:32:07 (permalink)
    Unfortunately the boot order is indeed DVI > HDMI > Displayport if you have more than 1 display connected to the video card. 

SavageThor
    Re: How to change the default boot display when running multiple monitors on 780ti Classif 2016/01/29 16:36:03 (permalink)
    I thought the 700s had 3 display port plugs but I'm wrong this does however work on my 980 Ti sli setup very well.
    adhee01
    Re: How to change the default boot display when running multiple monitors on 780ti Classif 2016/01/31 10:35:49 (permalink)
    Understand, but I use G-sync monitor that works with g-sync, and g-sync only works on DP. Secondary display is my HDTV on HDMI.
    Solution for Evga GTX 980 ???
    DVI (2x)-HDMI-Displayport
    post edited by adhee01 - 2016/01/31 10:38:28
    BrandonS
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 678
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: How to change the default boot display when running multiple monitors on 780ti Classif 2016/01/31 12:14:31 (permalink)
    As James stated earlier, there is no way to change the default port. It will always be DVI > HDMI > Displayport, and there is no way to modify this in the BIOS. 
    SavageThor
    Re: How to change the default boot display when running multiple monitors on 780ti Classif 2016/01/31 13:36:32 (permalink)
    The only way to boot up on display port is to leave the DVI and HDMI empty on the back of the GPU. The 980 has 3 Display ports. And if you connect all 3 moniters up to display port with a display port to HDMI adapter and a displayport to DVI adapter. the main monitor on display port 1. Then the main gsync moniters will be displaying the bios.
    adhee01
    Re: How to change the default boot display when running multiple monitors on 780ti Classif 2016/01/31 14:59:58 (permalink)
    http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=04G-P4-2986-KR
    This card has got only one DP that i have 2x :(

Solution? :)
    SavageThor
    Re: How to change the default boot display when running multiple monitors on 780ti Classif 2016/01/31 16:04:58 (permalink)
    There is nothing you can do.
    NuTech39
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: How to change the default boot display when running multiple monitors on 780ti Classif 2016/04/14 21:27:41 (permalink)
    SavageThor
    The only way to boot up on display port is to leave the DVI and HDMI empty on the back of the GPU. The 980 has 3 Display ports. And if you connect all 3 moniters up to display port with a display port to HDMI adapter and a displayport to DVI adapter. the main monitor on display port 1. Then the main gsync moniters will be displaying the bios.

I have a GTX970, Primary display is HDMI and secondary vertical is DVI. I am having this same problem so I purchased a DVI to DP adapter thinking since the boot order was DVI>HDMI>DP then by hooking up my DVI monitor to a DP port would make my HDMI first in the boot order to get to bios on my main display. This didn't work. My vertical monitor is still booting first even thought it is connected to a DP port.
    NuTech39
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: How to change the default boot display when running multiple monitors on 780ti Classif 2016/04/14 21:45:41 (permalink)
    I solved my problem. I had initially connected my DVI connector to the DVI-I port on the video card, I switched it to the DVI-D port and now my HDMI monitor (Primary) boots first.
    RocknRobert13
    Re: How to change the default boot display when running multiple monitors on 780ti Classif 2017/12/29 11:34:52 (permalink)
    the_Scarlet_one

NOTE: You can not do this when you have 4K TV connected because the DVI does not support sound but only video....!  If you hook up the  DVI to TV then no audio on that HDMI port...!!!
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: How to change the default boot display when running multiple monitors on 780ti Classif 2017/12/29 11:41:09 (permalink)
    RocknRobert13
    the_Scarlet_one

NOTE: You can not do this when you have 4K TV connected because the DVI does not support sound but only video....!  If you hook up the  DVI to TV then no audio on that HDMI port...!!!

Well, yeah.. use display port to hdmi adapters or use hdmi adapters. You obviously can’t use a port that doesn’t support audio and expect it to give you audio.
    RocknRobert13
    Re: How to change the default boot display when running multiple monitors on 780ti Classif 2017/12/29 12:04:32 (permalink)
    jskibb
    HeavyHemi
    jskibb
    Scarlet-Tech

I figured that is probably the case. It's not a big deal or anything. I was just hoping it was possible but I don't think it is without a modified BIOS/Firmware. Unfortunately, doing that myself is beyond my abilities. :(

Initialization order in first place seems to be HDMI and not DVI...!
    Ecaesyer
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re: How to change the default boot display when running multiple monitors on 780ti Classif 2018/01/01 19:10:37 (permalink)
    RocknRobert13
    the_Scarlet_one

Are you kidding  ?
    RocknRobert13
    Re: How to change the default boot display when running multiple monitors on 780ti Classif 2018/01/01 21:25:51 (permalink)
    I was just trying to explain the solution of swapping my monitor cables will not work because I do not have a DVI connection on TV and do not want to use an HDMI adapter either.
    dforrest1
    Re: How to change the default boot display when running multiple monitors on 780ti Classif 2018/02/05 03:52:15 (permalink)
    NuTech39
    I solved my problem. I had initially connected my DVI connector to the DVI-I port on the video card, I switched it to the DVI-D port and now my HDMI monitor (Primary) boots first.

This does not work for me.
    mamutarka
    Re: How to change the default boot display when running multiple monitors on 780ti Classif 2018/03/11 04:53:07 (permalink)
    I have my monitor connected via DVI, and my TV connected via HDMI. However when the PC starts up the BIOS defaults to the TV, then Windows log-in appears back on the monitor.

Weird thing is that it worked normally and out of nowhere switched like this. I did nothing.

Any way to solve this?

(evga 1070ti)
    psb962
    Re: How to change the default boot display when running multiple monitors on 780ti Classif 2018/12/09 20:56:41 (permalink)
    I just upgraded to a 1070. I'm running my primary monitor off the displayport and the secondary off the DVI. It always boots to DVI (which from the above I understand is the priority of the card) but the main monitor doesn't start at all - unless I restart the PC, in which case it comes on after the other monitor.

Starting my PC, then restarting it, every time, to get both monitors working, gets old. Why would my 1070 start the monitor on the displayport ONLY on a restart?

Now here's the kicker - if i unplug my secondary monitor (DVI) and start with just the primary connected (displayport) it works fine, but there is a distinct pause in the bot -almost like it's restarting of own accord - before the monitor lights up.

Notes: 
    • New drivers clean install
    • Firmware tool run and firmware updated
    • Windows 10 has correct settings for primary and secondary monitors
    • NVCP has multimonitor setup correctly, same as windows
    • All cables new and tight
    • Cannot swap cables among monitors
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49165
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: How to change the default boot display when running multiple monitors on 780ti Classif 2018/12/10 14:44:58 (permalink)
    psb962
    I just upgraded to a 1070. I'm running my primary monitor off the displayport and the secondary off the DVI. It always boots to DVI (which from the above I understand is the priority of the card) but the main monitor doesn't start at all - unless I restart the PC, in which case it comes on after the other monitor.

Starting my PC, then restarting it, every time, to get both monitors working, gets old. Why would my 1070 start the monitor on the displayport ONLY on a restart?

Now here's the kicker - if i unplug my secondary monitor (DVI) and start with just the primary connected (displayport) it works fine, but there is a distinct pause in the bot -almost like it's restarting of own accord - before the monitor lights up.

Notes: 
    • New drivers clean install
    • Firmware tool run and firmware updated
    • Windows 10 has correct settings for primary and secondary monitors
    • NVCP has multimonitor setup correctly, same as windows
    • All cables new and tight
    • Cannot swap cables among monitors

Maybe it has something to do with windows fast startup... https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

Make sure it's disabled.
    psb962
    Re: How to change the default boot display when running multiple monitors on 780ti Classif 2018/12/10 14:59:45 (permalink)
    Sajin

Maybe it has something to do with windows fast startup... 

Make sure it's disabled.

You are a star - I turn off Fast Start, and now it starts properly. Thanks!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile