EVGA

Guys... I love evga.. but can we acknowledge theres big problems with the 3000 series?

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
talon951
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1026
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: Guys... I love evga.. but can we acknowledge theres big problems with the 3000 series? 2021/12/26 16:01:47 (permalink)
It'll be interesting to see how the 3090ti does if it actually gets released. If the 450w reference PL rumor is correct, what will the PL of the FTW3 be? 500? 550?

Also wondering how feasible air cooling will be for the 40 series if the PL goes up again. Really are approaching the need for water cooling for the high end cards.
jaredbyoung
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 465
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Guys... I love evga.. but can we acknowledge theres big problems with the 3000 series? 2021/12/26 16:17:55 (permalink)
talon951
It'll be interesting to see how the 3090ti does if it actually gets released. If the 450w reference PL rumor is correct, what will the PL of the FTW3 be? 500? 550?

Also wondering how feasible air cooling will be for the 40 series if the PL goes up again. Really are approaching the need for water cooling for the high end cards.

A couple more generations with power requirements increasing like this and we're all going to need to get 30A or 50A ran to our computer rooms and run 2000W+ PSUs
Michapolys
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 199
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Guys... I love evga.. but can we acknowledge theres big problems with the 3000 series? 2021/12/26 16:37:06 (permalink)
jaredbyoung
talon951

A couple more generations with power requirements increasing like this and we're all going to need to get 30A or 50A ran to our computer rooms and run 2000W+ PSUs

... and all that with the worldwide energy crisis and efficiency increases going on and such.

Again I should note that this in not anyone's fault in particular, just a combination of things going on with GPUs themselves being the last wheel.
phroze
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 799
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Guys... I love evga.. but can we acknowledge theres big problems with the 3000 series? 2021/12/26 17:07:03 (permalink)
Beasthunt
Considering I've been in a que system for over a year I'd say there is a huge problem.

Yeah, let's go join the queue over at ASUS or MSI. Maybe even Gigabyte. Wait........ they don't have one? 

Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Mobo: Asrock X570 Taichi
CPU: Ryzen 5900x
GPU: EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
RAM: Crucial Ballistix OC to 3800 16 18 18 1:1
PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 1600w
Cooling: Custom hardline loop: optimus blocks, primochill stuff, lian li stuff, HW Labs 60mm radiators, custom stuff
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21174
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: Guys... I love evga.. but can we acknowledge theres big problems with the 3000 series? 2021/12/26 17:14:52 (permalink)
Michapolys
... and all that with the worldwide energy crisis and efficiency increases going on and such.

Again I should note that this in not anyone's fault in particular, just a combination of things going on with GPUs themselves being the last wheel.

People buy them. It's everyone's fault.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Kaxdo
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Guys... I love evga.. but can we acknowledge theres big problems with the 3000 series? 2021/12/27 00:24:24 (permalink)
Just ordered a 3070Ti FTW for a fair price and I hope that it lasts longer than I can read here.

I wanted to Step-Up to a 3080 FTW3, but now I'm not so sure anymore. Do 3080 FTW's have more problems than 3070Ti? Do they run hotter and louder? 
And I mean... in the end we are using it for gaming, and that is a lifelong stress-test for any GPU. Happy that I chose a EVGA Card, because I've only heared good stuff about the community and service/support. :)

K :)
j3zzr
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 146
Re: Guys... I love evga.. but can we acknowledge theres big problems with the 3000 series? 2021/12/27 04:09:35 (permalink)
Aggreed. Imo, they push so much power in these 3000 series the design can not handle it. It does not need so much power. Users have to undervolt or set fan speed to 100% just to make their cards work how they should. I hear people say these card rock yolo yeah boiii 420 watts of power ofcourse u need to do those things because these cards are beastz.
Thats just silly imo. Other brands perform the same or better with less watts, smaller and more silent coolers and they even do that with 10c celcius less heat.
post edited by radjezz - 2021/12/27 04:12:40
LLLEFTERIS
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 268
Re: Guys... I love evga.. but can we acknowledge theres big problems with the 3000 series? 2021/12/27 04:29:39 (permalink)
I am more bothered by the warranty than the hardware failures. I have an EVGA power supply with another 6 year warranty and I want to sell it but the one who will get it will not have a warranty at all.

In all the companies in the world the guarantee follows the object here the guarantee follows the original owner, big wrong.

There is no reason to buy something from EVGA again.

Greek souvlaki

I do not know English I translate with Google .... Sorry.

nomoss
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1559
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Guys... I love evga.. but can we acknowledge theres big problems with the 3000 series? 2021/12/27 06:26:33 (permalink)
LLLEFTERISIn all the companies in the world the guarantee follows the object here the guarantee follows the original owner, big wrong.

Warranties that follow the product are quite rare.  Maybe it an EU thing but it's almost unheard of in the US.  

Associates code:  9OYA1P1FRHQ3SGN
Imgur    modsrigs:  Chemical X   RedWing   Utonium   TY for the +1s! 

LLLEFTERIS
iCX Member
Re: Guys... I love evga.. but can we acknowledge theres big problems with the 3000 series? 2021/12/27 06:57:50 (permalink)
nomoss
LLLEFTERISIn all the companies in the world the guarantee follows the object here the guarantee follows the original owner, big wrong.

Warranties that follow the product are quite rare.  Maybe it an EU thing but it's almost unheard of in the US.  

That is, if you buy a power supply that has a ten-year warranty and for some reason you want to sell after a month, you say I have a ten-year warranty, you who buy it do not have at all.

Maybe that's why used in America are so cheap because they lose their warranty.

Yes, in Europe I sell you my TV, I give you the proof of purchase, you have a normal all rest of the guarantee. I have gotten a lot of used things and I never had a problem because the receipt was not in my name.

Greek souvlaki

j3zzr
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 146
Re: Guys... I love evga.. but can we acknowledge theres big problems with the 3000 series? 2021/12/27 06:59:24 (permalink)
Yes in EU thats common and bound by EU law. Cant really blame EVGA for that one as US law is different.
DXChase
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 167
Re: Guys... I love evga.. but can we acknowledge theres big problems with the 3000 series? 2021/12/27 07:15:12 (permalink)
I can agree that these cards run a little too hot. I've been having a problem lately that i cant keep my side panel on my PC because the EVGA 3070ti i have is just generating too much heat (my case is a full size with multiple fans btw) that blows into the case cause me to have immediate blue screen errors when im playing games. I thought maybe its my pc or something else, but after research and all,  its just the card being hot, and i dont think i should have to replace like thermal paste or anything in it yet.

Fennario
  • Total Posts : 46
Re: Guys... I love evga.. but can we acknowledge theres big problems with the 3000 series? 2021/12/27 10:00:39 (permalink)
LLLEFTERIS
I am more bothered by the warranty than the hardware failures. I have an EVGA power supply with another 6 year warranty and I want to sell it but the one who will get it will not have a warranty at all.

In all the companies in the world the guarantee follows the object here the guarantee follows the original owner, big wrong.

Subject to proof of purchase, EVGA has transferable warranty for secondary owners.

Subject to the terms and conditions of this Limited Warranty, the Transferable Limited Warranty is available to second-hand purchasers with a valid proof of purchase of the transaction between the current owner and the previous owner.* A second-hand purchaser is defined as someone who purchases an EVGA product from an unauthorized reseller. The limited warranty on any Product which was originally shipped from EVGA or an Authorized Reseller as a demo or prize is not transferable to second-hand purchasers and is not covered by the Transferable Limited Warranty.
Products shipped from EVGA as warranty replacements will be subject to this Transferable Limited Warranty, provided that the original Product was shipped from EVGA on or after July 1, 2011 and has a qualifying Transferable Limited Warranty suffix. Warranty replacements retain the limited warranty characteristics of the original Product, which will be used to determine the original purchase date and/or ship date.
The length of the Transferable Limited Warranty is determined by Product according to the suffix associated with each Product's identification number as set forth below and will be measured beginning from the Product's original date of shipment from an EVGA online store, EVGA's official eBay store, or EVGA's official Amazon Marketplace store:
  • 3 Year Transferable Limited Warranty Product Suffixes: -A1, -A2, -A3, -A4, -AR, -AX, -CR, -CX, -DX, -FR, -FX, -SG, -SX, -KR, -K1, -K2, -K3, -K4, -K5, -KB, -KA, -KF, -KH, -KL, -KM
  • 2 Year Transferable Limited Warranty Product Suffixes: -LA, -LE, -LR, -L1, -LX, -T1, -T2, -TR, -TX
Products described by the following suffixes are not covered by the Transferable Limited Warranty: -B1, -BR, -BX, -DR, -RX, -R2, -RB, -RL
*For more warranty information about original and second-hand purchases, please see our FAQ here.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: Guys... I love evga.. but can we acknowledge theres big problems with the 3000 series? 2021/12/27 14:06:09 (permalink)
Fennario
LLLEFTERIS

Spoiler

Subject to proof of purchase, EVGA has transferable warranty for secondary owners.

Subject to the terms and conditions of this Limited Warranty, the Transferable Limited Warranty is available to second-hand purchasers with a valid proof of purchase of the transaction between the current owner and the previous owner.* A second-hand purchaser is defined as someone who purchases an EVGA product from an unauthorized reseller. The limited warranty on any Product which was originally shipped from EVGA or an Authorized Reseller as a demo or prize is not transferable to second-hand purchasers and is not covered by the Transferable Limited Warranty.
Products shipped from EVGA as warranty replacements will be subject to this Transferable Limited Warranty, provided that the original Product was shipped from EVGA on or after July 1, 2011 and has a qualifying Transferable Limited Warranty suffix. Warranty replacements retain the limited warranty characteristics of the original Product, which will be used to determine the original purchase date and/or ship date.
The length of the Transferable Limited Warranty is determined by Product according to the suffix associated with each Product's identification number as set forth below and will be measured beginning from the Product's original date of shipment from an EVGA online store, EVGA's official eBay store, or EVGA's official Amazon Marketplace store:
  • 3 Year Transferable Limited Warranty Product Suffixes: -A1, -A2, -A3, -A4, -AR, -AX, -CR, -CX, -DX, -FR, -FX, -SG, -SX, -KR, -K1, -K2, -K3, -K4, -K5, -KB, -KA, -KF, -KH, -KL, -KM
  • 2 Year Transferable Limited Warranty Product Suffixes: -LA, -LE, -LR, -L1, -LX, -T1, -T2, -TR, -TX
Products described by the following suffixes are not covered by the Transferable Limited Warranty: -B1, -BR, -BX, -DR, -RX, -R2, -RB, -RL
*For more warranty information about original and second-hand purchases, please see our FAQ here.
close

when talking about power supply warranties, refer to the power supply specific section of the warranty pages for the best information: https://www.evga.com/warranty/power-supplies/

There is a lot more detail in the specific sections 
bavor
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 994
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: Guys... I love evga.. but can we acknowledge theres big problems with the 3000 series? 2021/12/28 11:42:40 (permalink)
transdogmifier
I'm gonna go with "no" on this one.

Yes, we have heard it time and time again in your reply to every single thread where someone has an issue with their EVGA RTX 3000 series card.  You believe that your same size of one working card represents every RTX 3000 series card EVGA has ever made and every single person who had an issue with an EVGA RTX 3000 series card is an idiot or uses a cheap power supply or daisy chains their power cables.  Even though people have repeated the problem in multiple PCs with different 1000+ watt name braind 80+ gold or better power rating power supplies with individual cables to each 8 pin connector. 

bavor
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 994
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: Guys... I love evga.. but can we acknowledge theres big problems with the 3000 series? 2021/12/28 11:55:25 (permalink)
bilalkhan22
 Look guys I love evga as much as the next guy... Usually solid products, great CS..... But the amount of issues there seems to be with the 3000 series cards (80 and 90) seems a little high, no? Go to the Asus, MSI, gigabyte subs, and there are nowhere near as many issues posted whereas here it seems to be non-stop "3090 red lights" "fan issues" "RMA in progress" "3080 black screen" etc. Even I'm sitting here waiting for my xc3 3080 to go bad lol.Has evga said anything about the seemingly high failure rate and issues the cards are having

I think that EVGA and other manufacturers didn't have a lot fo time to finalize their designs for RTX 3000 series cards between the tiem Nvidia finalized info and the release date.  So some things were rushed and last minute changes were made.  Unfortunately that has affected EVGA more than other manufacturers this time around.

Some people say that the cards are problem free and its the end user.  However the problems are mostly similar issues experienced by a wide number of users using adequate hardware and repeatable in multiple PCs.

My own experience with the EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 was multiple RMAs then EVGA offered a refund after they couldn't send me a card that would work in any of the three PCs I have here.  All three cards had the same exact problem.  When playing any DX11 game or running any DX11 based graphics benchmark, the screen would turn black and the fans on the cards would spin at what sounded like 100% speed.  In addition to that, the cards were drawing 85-96+ watts through the PCIEx16 slot on the 12v rail when the spec id 75 watts on all voltage rails.

The first 3090 Kingpin hybrid I received had a dead 120mm fan on the radiator.  I replaced the fan with another 120mm PWM fan from my EVGA RTX 2080 Super hybrid after support told me they don't stock spare 120mm fans.  Then the pump on the 3090 Kingpin Hybrid died within a few hours of use and the LCD display displayed an "Overheating" message.  I also had issues with the waterblocks on the 3090 Kingpin Hydro Copper and Hydro Copper kit leaking and one of them couldn't be fixed.  The problems was worse when I used chilled coolant.  The threaded area on the block was damaged during assembly at the factory and it couldn't be tightened enough to stop the leak.

nosomo
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 174
Re: Guys... I love evga.. but can we acknowledge theres big problems with the 3000 series? 2021/12/28 16:56:14 (permalink)
bilalkhan22
 Look guys I love evga as much as the next guy... Usually solid products, great CS..... But the amount of issues there seems to be with the 3000 series cards (80 and 90) seems a little high, no? Go to the Asus, MSI, gigabyte subs, and there are nowhere near as many issues posted whereas here it seems to be non-stop "3090 red lights" "fan issues" "RMA in progress" "3080 black screen" etc. Even I'm sitting here waiting for my xc3 3080 to go bad lol.Has evga said anything about the seemingly high failure rate and issues the cards are having

Unless you're doing something to your card that could harm it, why on earth are you waiting for it to go bad?  EVGA is the best company in the industry for customer service.  I've been a customer for over 15 years and wish they made more products.   Every product has the possibility of failing --- look at the mess that people dealing with gigabyte went through.   That fiasco has ruled them out for me until something magical happens to their company to compel me to even consider them.   I'll stick with EVGA because I know that if I ever have an issue, they've got my back.   They stand behind their products 100%.  Not sure what else you could ask for. 

LLLEFTERIS
iCX Member
Re: Guys... I love evga.. but can we acknowledge theres big problems with the 3000 series? 2021/12/30 04:26:52 (permalink)
A graphics card without proof why it was lost and the store has closed for everand to give new proof, the card is without a statement to EVGA.

I guess is out of warranty right?

On the EVGA site based on SN that it still has a 500+ day warranty.

Greek souvlaki

redteamgo
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 798
Re: Guys... I love evga.. but can we acknowledge theres big problems with the 3000 series? 2021/12/30 06:30:47 (permalink)
nomoss

not sure that is really true. anecdotally, every tangible, "capital" purchase I've made in the past 7-8 years has a transferable, full warranty at minimum.  just to rattle off some in no particular order: kitchen appliances, 4wd truck, impact windows parts and labor, parts & labor on HVAC motor replacement, concrete tile roof, etc.  each thing of course has a warranty duration but the full warranty exists and is transferable.

also, warranty law in the EU is very different than in the US.  here is a pretty good read if you can't sleep 

https://www.consumerrepor...20of%20a%20replacement

CPU:     Intel 12900K EK 1700 Quantum Mag Acetel
GPU:     EVGA 3090 KPHC
MB:      EVGA Z690 Dark
PSU:     EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P+
Memory:  G.SKILL Z5 6600mhz XMP3
NVME:    Samsung 980 Pro Gen 4 1TB, Gen 3 970 1TB
Cooling: MO-RA3 420 P/P 8x200mm Noctua HS PWM, Dual D5
Case:    Fractal Design Define 7

MOD Rigs!!!
gdtyrael
  • Total Posts : 19
Re: Guys... I love evga.. but can we acknowledge theres big problems with the 3000 series? 2021/12/30 06:50:51 (permalink)
I love EVGA, the only thing I think needs work, because it constantly has problems, is Precision X1. Many people had to RMA their gpus when they tried to flash their vbios because Precision X1 screwed up the process and bricked the cards. Even today, I tried to flash my card this month and got an error, after many many updates later, it still has problems.
post edited by gdtyrael - 2021/12/30 06:52:46
nomoss
FTW Member
Re: Guys... I love evga.. but can we acknowledge theres big problems with the 3000 series? 2021/12/30 07:12:00 (permalink)
I was referring to warranties on consumer electronics not gas stoves, trucks and roofs lol.  

There's a reason why they all come with that tiny sheet of paper with a limited warranty printed in 2 size font written in legalese.  And it's not to protect you.   Example - https://www.playstation.c.../legal/warranties/ps5/
There's a reason why they all want you to register your product within a short window, too.  If you want to preserve the warranty rights for the person who purchases the product from you - don't register the product and be sure to save the receipt.  But not registering the product may mean you don't get access to software, promotional items, or the chance to purchase extended warranty.

donta1979
Primarch
  • Total Posts : 15887
  • Ribbons : 72
Re: Guys... I love evga.. but can we acknowledge theres big problems with the 3000 series? 2021/12/30 10:45:02 (permalink)
Well I was on a 3070 Ultra for 272 day, no issues. Been on my 3080 FTW3 Ultra LHR now for over a month. Made sure I had the proper power supply for the 30 series as older designs to super cheap psu's that have not been upgraded for the spikes are known to kill the cards.  Believe that is where a lot of the issues stem from. See it all the time, older psu's over two years old, older psu quality models that sat on shelves to put into machines eating cards before they critically fail due to the spikes to just killing the cards in general as they did not get upgraded to handle the massive voltage spikes of boost clocks. Last week alone I saw that happen not just with EVGA but multiple brands including a very nice white ASUS 3080 TI model an old bequiet power pro 11. Including some older quality Seasonics, to even some older corsairs. If that tells you anything. Going to get a 30 series card? Be sure you have one of the latest quality psu's up for the task or it will probably come to bite you.

Tech changes, remember when one of the new motherboards came out and the old psu's didn't play nice with them and caused issues? Same thing stuff is always moving forward. Those saying during games 450w on an air cooler, you do know this one particular game due to bad coding bypassed all safety features of the card's firmware and software as it sent the cards into a state worse than benching/folding/mining/rendering, stuff is going to get hot and under that kind of load with all the safeties bypassed bad stuff will happen especially if you do not keep it colder. Its sort of why say Quadro's exist to miners who take these gaming cards always undervolt and underclock them, or you have enthusiast who go overboard to keep them cool be it for gaming or someone who works and plays on thier cards. Like me I never let any part of my card hit or go above 70c. That is the other issue, bad coding in games that sends cards into overdrive it was not just nvidia it was doing it to, it was also AMD's latest and greatest.

post edited by donta1979 - 2021/12/30 10:55:58

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
My Build
Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
redteamgo
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 798
Re: Guys... I love evga.. but can we acknowledge theres big problems with the 3000 series? 2021/12/30 13:38:03 (permalink)
nomoss
I was referring to warranties on consumer electronics not gas stoves, trucks and roofs lol.  

i gotcha my bad lol

CPU:     Intel 12900K EK 1700 Quantum Mag Acetel
GPU:     EVGA 3090 KPHC
MB:      EVGA Z690 Dark
PSU:     EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P+
Memory:  G.SKILL Z5 6600mhz XMP3
NVME:    Samsung 980 Pro Gen 4 1TB, Gen 3 970 1TB
Cooling: MO-RA3 420 P/P 8x200mm Noctua HS PWM, Dual D5
Case:    Fractal Design Define 7

MOD Rigs!!!
nosomo
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 174
Re: Guys... I love evga.. but can we acknowledge theres big problems with the 3000 series? 2021/12/30 13:47:43 (permalink)
nomoss

Warranties are warranties.  They're all part of the same law.  Most devices today contain electronic components, there's nothing special about their warranty. 

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Guys... I love evga.. but can we acknowledge theres big problems with the 3000 series? 2021/12/30 14:23:16 (permalink)
donta1979
Well I was on a 3070 Ultra for 272 day, no issues. Been on my 3080 FTW3 Ultra LHR now for over a month. Made sure I had the proper power supply for the 30 series as older designs to super cheap psu's that have not been upgraded for the spikes are known to kill the cards.  Believe that is where a lot of the issues stem from. See it all the time, older psu's over two years old, older psu quality models that sat on shelves to put into machines eating cards before they critically fail due to the spikes to just killing the cards in general as they did not get upgraded to handle the massive voltage spikes of boost clocks. Last week alone I saw that happen not just with EVGA but multiple brands including a very nice white ASUS 3080 TI model an old bequiet power pro 11. Including some older quality Seasonics, to even some older corsairs. If that tells you anything. Going to get a 30 series card? Be sure you have one of the latest quality psu's up for the task or it will probably come to bite you.

That line of thinking us pretty conclusively debunked. For any example with a PSU you think is suspect, is an example with a PSU you would approve of.

I think the real problem is that the card can pull power spikes. NVIDIA's power monitoring is average-based, which allows big short-term spikes which exceed the VRM"s capability. And, to add insult to injury, the VRM hardware-based protection is set too high to protect the VRM; probably because it was kicking in too often.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

nomoss
FTW Member
Re: Guys... I love evga.. but can we acknowledge theres big problems with the 3000 series? 2021/12/30 14:37:40 (permalink)
nosomo
nomoss

Warranties are warranties.  They're all part of the same law.  Most devices today contain electronic components, there's nothing special about their warranty. 

Written warranties are written to exclude implied coverage.  There is a reason why a car warranty is 3 years, a roof warranty is 10, and a game console is 1 year.  And, again, it's not to protect the consumer.

donta1979
Primarch
  • Total Posts : 15887
  • Ribbons : 72
Re: Guys... I love evga.. but can we acknowledge theres big problems with the 3000 series? 2021/12/30 17:52:13 (permalink)
ty_ger07

That line of thinking us pretty conclusively debunked. For any example with a PSU you think is suspect, is an example with a PSU you would approve of.

I think the real problem is that the card can pull power spikes. NVIDIA's power monitoring is average-based, which allows big short-term spikes which exceed the VRM"s capability. And, to add insult to injury, the VRM hardware-based protection is set too high to protect the VRM; probably because it was kicking in too often.

It's not a matter of what I think that is irrelevant, even EVGA had to do RMA exchanges with some of their older psu's that were apparently still on the market due to them lacking the upgrades for the spikes killing 30 series cards so I would not call it debunked. Been seeing a lot of 30 series gpu's cooked the past two to three weeks on older PSU's even the older quality units as people have finally gotten their hands on 30 series cards. 

Most games were these gpu's that even do have a quality psu unit on normally involved DX12 with all the bells and whistles if not done right all the protections are removed/bypassed via the games code for DX12 basically the cards stay in overdrive. With protections removed both hardware/software before I retired, I saw the results of DX12 done wrong. When the only solution is to lower your graphics settings and lock your FPS to 60... Yeah there is a problem and it's not the cards.

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
My Build
Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Guys... I love evga.. but can we acknowledge theres big problems with the 3000 series? 2021/12/30 18:51:16 (permalink)
donta1979
even EVGA had to do RMA exchanges with some of their older psu's that were apparently still on the market due to them lacking the upgrades for the spikes killing 30 series cards so I would not call it debunked.

That is not true. You are placing the cart in front of the horse.

kraade
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2369
Re: Guys... I love evga.. but can we acknowledge theres big problems with the 3000 series? 2021/12/30 19:27:53 (permalink)
I feel the ones that gripe the most are the ones who don't understand the curve of diminishing returns, the closer you are to the edge the faster they get out of control, "If only my 2, 2 6+2 pcie 3080 would pull 490 watts , I know my card would be so much better", But did not want to pay for the FTW3...and also trying to determine failure rate being posted on the highest number of cards produced in the wild is complete folly. EVGA has the best customer service , period. When the first reviews came out the 3080 FTW3 was 380w stock target , they were also 200 points above most cards out there and could easily put on 1k points with a quick slide job in afterburner.  You know why the are not ****ing on the PNY forum, there is no one there and nobody cares. and not for nothing: how are manufacturers able design a card to perform against those who would put in in a horribly bad case.
wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5679
  • Ribbons : 40
Re: Guys... I love evga.. but can we acknowledge theres big problems with the 3000 series? 2021/12/30 20:42:25 (permalink)
ty_ger07
donta1979

i gotta agree here....psu's are most likely not the problem unless youre using a very low end, beat up ,old unit, lower wattage etc... The CM im using while large was new when i put it in, i took out the CM V-1000 cause i used it the whole time with my Sandy rig, but it had been sitting in its box since they were released, like 8 or 9 years at least. I had the killawatt hooked up and only saw roughly 850 watts pulled from the wall max with my current setup, but i do run the gpu cool, no higher than 72c, and drastically change my settings depending on the game/workload. I havent had any hiccups yet, although i am going to be taking this card apart for the Hybrid kit and have a bunch of new EK/Noctua 3000 rpm fans to put in etc... so well see how things end up. Just need the time to do it all.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
 Help Our Vets From K-2!
[link=https://strongholdfreedom
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile