EVGA

GeForce GTX 960 fan control driving me insane

Author
robinparmar
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/11/06 08:46:56 (permalink)
I am a simple person who just wants the fan to stop powering on and off. When in my bios the fan is not on. When in Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) it cycles most annoyingly.

So I downloaded the EVGA software. Click on "curve". Drew a profile so that the fan is at 0% below a temperature of 40 C. For good measure I put in a hysteresis of 2 degrees.

Go back to main interface and click "Apply". GPU temperature is 29 C.

No difference at all.

Motherboard is Asus PRIME Z270-A.

Help!

13 Replies Related Threads

robinparmar
    Re: GeForce GTX 960 fan control driving me insane 2017/11/06 08:48:46 (permalink)
    Also tried toggling "AUTO" on. Not even sure what this means. Surely with a custom fan curve we are not operating automatically but manually?
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31001
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: GeForce GTX 960 fan control driving me insane 2017/11/06 09:34:05 (permalink)
    Welcome to the Forums robinparmar

New or existing build or recent upgrade ?

Which version of XOC are you attempting to use ?

Which Nvidia Driver ?

How is Nvidia control panel set ?  stock or did you customize ?

K-boost On ?

Which 960 do you have ?

On/ off cycling I would increase hysteresis to 5.  The Temp must come down 5 C before fan goes off

What is your curve ? basic curve is temp in C +10 = fan %  ---> 50C = 60% fan speed

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: GeForce GTX 960 fan control driving me insane 2017/11/06 19:59:39 (permalink)
    Sounds like a piece of software is causing the fan to kick on/off when inside windows since you don't have the problem while idling inside the bios.

Do #1 listed here to see if it helps get rid of the issue.
    robinparmar
    Re: GeForce GTX 960 fan control driving me insane 2017/11/07 10:38:53 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply.

Cool GTX
    New or existing build or recent upgrade ?

Which version of XOC are you attempting to use ?

Which Nvidia Driver ?

How is Nvidia control panel set ?  stock or did you customize ?

This is a new computer with everything built and installed in the last few days. New install of Windows from ISO. Everything stock, since I wouldn't know how to customise. The same video card did not exhibit these symptoms in my previous (seven year old) machine.

Version of XOC is the latest one. Can't tell what since the rather obtuse interface doesn't say.

NVIDIA driver 388.13

Cool GTX
    K-boost On ?

Which 960 do you have ?

On/ off cycling I would increase hysteresis to 5.  The Temp must come down 5 C before fan goes off

What is your curve ? basic curve is temp in C +10 = fan %  ---> 50C = 60% fan speed

I have no idea what "K-boost" is or where to find it.

GeForce GTX 960 with 4 GB RAM. Not sure what you mean by which one.

The temperature is not changing so hysteresis is not the issue. Changed it to 5 anyway.

I set a curve so the fan is OFF until a higher temperature. Since normally I don't need the GPU and don't want to hear the fan. Tweaking can come later.
    Rocketman1703
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: GeForce GTX 960 fan control driving me insane 2017/11/20 14:05:16 (permalink)
    I have had similar problems.
    Do you always have the XOC running in the background? I've found that if i don't, my GPU fan will never turn on. You can simply press the downsize button and it will start running in the background. 
    If this isn't the answer to your problem, please tell us.

~Regards, Rocketman.
    robinparmar
    Re: GeForce GTX 960 fan control driving me insane 2017/11/20 14:27:31 (permalink)
    No, XOC is not running in the background. When it does, it doesn't change this behaviour.

Task manager shows the following:
    three "NVIDIA Container"
    two "NVIDIA Container (32 bit)"
    "NVIDIA nTune Command"
    "NVIDIA Performance Service"
    "NVIDIA Update Centre Service"
    "NVIDIA Web Helper Service (32 bit)"

But I can end all these tasks with no change to the fan. Every now and then it spins up.

In the time since I first posted this thread, it does seem like the fan doesn't spin as much, or maybe I am more used to it.
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: GeForce GTX 960 fan control driving me insane 2017/11/20 15:16:53 (permalink)
    Been a while, but NVIDIA nTune Command and NVIDIA Performance Service is part of NVIDIA System Tools..Did you install that trash?..Look in Control Panel -> Programs and Features and see if NVIDIA Performance and NVIDIA System Monitor is there..Get rid of them if they are.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

robinparmar
    Re: GeForce GTX 960 fan control driving me insane 2017/11/20 19:41:41 (permalink)
    Well, I installed "that trash" because I thought it might help with the problem. But if they're not necessary, OK.

I have uninstalled the two items you mentioned and rebooted. Fan still cycling away.

I appreciate any and all help, however. if those apps do nothing, I'd definitely rather not have them around.
    post edited by robinparmar - 2017/11/20 20:42:03
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: GeForce GTX 960 fan control driving me insane 2017/11/20 21:40:44 (permalink)
    NVIDIA System Tools/nTune has a long history of causing problems and conflicting with other software, so yeah, need to lose that so it's out of the way, it's bad juju..One more thing it installs though that I forgot about (until I installed it here) is 'NVIDIA Drivers' (not NVIDIA Graphics Driver) you need to uninstall too.

After you get rid of everything NVIDIA System Tools installed, I'd run DDU in Safe Mode to uninstall the NVIDIA Graphics Driver..Then install the NVIDIA Graphics Driver again..Probly should uninstall Precision XOC and delete the leftover files/folder in the Program Files (x86) folder and reboot and install it again too..Start clean..Roll from there.

Attached Image(s)

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

robinparmar
    Re: GeForce GTX 960 fan control driving me insane 2017/11/21 05:31:04 (permalink)
    Well, removing all the driver software worked and the GPU fan is off. Of course this left me with nothing but the Microsoft Basic Display Driver, so no openGL support, etc. Next step was to grab the NVIDIA Graphics Driver installer once again, perform a custom install, and select ONLY the actual Graphics Driver component.

This does seem to be better! It seems now the fan only comes on if the GPU is doing something. It still cycles in a strange way, but that I can live with. 90% of the time I am not taxing the GPU and want it quite for those periods.

Definitely the NVIDIA software itself was to blame, and not anything else installed on the system.

Thanks so much for your help! I did not know about DDU.
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: GeForce GTX 960 fan control driving me insane 2017/11/21 19:25:13 (permalink)
    That's cool, and you're welcome.

In case you don't know, something else that might help is that when you open the Fan Curve Editor in Precision (or Afterburner) you can double-click in a blank area of the editor to change the curve to steppings (and vice-versa)..You can remove setpoints by clicking to highlight them, then press the keyboard Del key..You can add setpoints by clicking on the line..Highlight and drag the setpoints where you want them or use the keyboard left/right/up/down arrows to move them more precisely..You already know about Temperature Hysteresis and the Fan Speed Update Period.

A lot of fan setpoints close together (temperature-wise) can cause unwanted fan speed fluctuations..I use only three setpoints, myself.

You can use MSI Afterburner if you prefer, it works pretty much identical to Precision..Your card features dB Inverter which turns the fan off when GPU temperature is below 60C, unless it's overridden by fan control software such as Precision or Afterburner when Automatic Fan Control is enabled in the Fan tab of the Settings (gear icon, bottom-right)..More here on fan control..It's also normal for the fan to twitch slightly when off, should you notice that, as stated here.

The 'AUTO' button on the main Precision screen toggles the fan speed from automatic to manual control and back again..When it's not lit (manual mode), the fan will remain at a fixed speed and will cause throttling/overheating of the card if it's fixed to low.

Whew!..OK..That's all..Good luck.

robinparmar
    Re: GeForce GTX 960 fan control driving me insane 2017/11/22 03:38:27 (permalink)
    After removing all unnecessary software I do not have XOC installed. Are you suggesting that I should go back now and reinstall such a utility?

In safe mode it *seems* like the fan is OK. But as soon as the graphics drivers are operational, even with no changes to any settings, it cycles the fan. And of course I need some graphics drivers apart from the generic, so as to use GL etc. (Which I require both for work and gaming.)
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: GeForce GTX 960 fan control driving me insane 2017/11/22 04:38:29 (permalink)
    I would uninstall Precision, delete the leftovers which contain the old .cfg files, then reinstall it after rebooting, yes..Then set up your fan curve.

It would help if you made a signature that lists your hardware and OS..That way people don't have to search through your posts to find out..Go to 'User Control Panel' (top-right of this page), then 'Edit Profile -> Signature and Comment'..Whatever you put there will be stickied at the bottom of all your posts.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile