EVGA

GTX 970 running warmer than normal in just WoW

Author
superspots
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/08/31 18:56:19 (permalink)
So have had this card since November of last year and have had zero issues. Fantastic piece of hardware. Run WoW on Ultra everyday, raids, dungeons, whatever. Run near Ultra in far more demanding games like AC Unity, Far Cry 4, and to a lesser extent Burnout Paradise also with no issues. Currently now when I fire up wow and Precision X the temps rise to the mid 60's (C of course) and the fan will run at about 50% or so on the automatic fan curve. It's only been doing this for about 6-8 weeks. If I don't run Precision X during raid it will climb to the danger zone temp and the screens go black and I can't recover w/o doing a cold boot.  Anyone have any ideas beyond basic stuff?

Yes I keep it very clean. 
No crashes. 
No changes in FPS.
Tried running on much lower settings but barely any change.
All drivers up to date.
Has done this both before and after update to Windows 10.

10 Replies Related Threads

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: GTX 970 running warmer than normal in just WoW 2015/08/31 21:55:41 (permalink)

How about redoing the TIM on the card?

Caution: Must put card back together without damaging it to avoid problems with warranty. (Sorry, but had to put in a disclaimer type notice)       =)

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    superspots
    Re: GTX 970 running warmer than normal in just WoW 2015/09/01 19:41:44 (permalink)
    XrayMan

How about redoing the TIM on the card?

Caution: Must put card back together without damaging it to avoid problems with warranty. (Sorry, but had to put in a disclaimer type notice)       =)

Hmmm maybe but its isolated to 1 game.
    bsmegreg
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1604
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: GTX 970 running warmer than normal in just WoW 2015/09/02 00:16:37 (permalink)
    Did you change anything about the game or other software on you PC? It's probably something silly that you will figure out in a few days by trying diffrient things.

superspots
    Re: GTX 970 running warmer than normal in just WoW 2015/09/02 10:40:06 (permalink)
    Nope no changes in quite a while, other than the upgrade to Windows 10 but it was doing this before that.

superspots
    Re: GTX 970 running warmer than normal in just WoW 2015/09/19 09:20:38 (permalink)
    Update: So I throttled foreground max FPS to 60 and that made a significant difference however I shouldn't have to do that. Bandaid fix for now though.
    jasonkresge
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 157
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: GTX 970 running warmer than normal in just WoW 2015/09/19 13:12:09 (permalink)
    superspots
    Update: So I throttled foreground max FPS to 60 and that made a significant difference however I shouldn't have to do that. Bandaid fix for now though.

If your refresh rate is 60hz, use VSYNC instead of foreground max. You'll get similar performance, but no tearing.

There's a lot of misconceptions about input lag and VSYNC. VSYNC without triple buffering has 1 frame of lag at most. WoW is one of the games that lets you disable triple buffering (it's off by default). Again, this is just a further bandaid solution, but potentially a better bandaid than the one that you were employing.

If other, more demanding games are not causing this issue, I have no idea what could be wrong. I don't use Precision X. Is there any chance that you set a custom profile for that game only? What if you disable all profiles/overclocking and run the game stock, like a clean slate?

Only other conclusion that I can come to is that, perhaps you're CPU limited in other games, thus not pushing your GPU. But in WoW, with uncapped FPS and ultra settings, your GPU is maxed. Still, can't think of a situation where WoW wouldn't be CPU limited but those other games would be (except BO Paradise, that's an older game). But if this is the case, try to run the other games in a way that Precision X is showing 100% GPU usage, and push it hard. See if you get the same problem. If it's not just one game, then we can more likely start pointing at the card.
    barky
    Re: GTX 970 running warmer than normal in just WoW 2015/09/20 07:55:25 (permalink)
    this source contradicts jasonkresge's claim. I'm not sure how good this source is, or it's testing methodologies. 6 frames is significant for fps. 
    edit: argh. I still can't post links. the website domain is display lag dot com
    jasonkresge
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 157
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: GTX 970 running warmer than normal in just WoW 2015/09/20 22:53:34 (permalink)
    barky
    this source contradicts jasonkresge's claim. I'm not sure how good this source is, or it's testing methodologies. 6 frames is significant for fps. 
    edit: argh. I still can't post links. the website domain is display lag dot com

I'm familiar with input lag. The website that you reference compares input lag between specific monitors. You'll need to find a specific article that contradicts what I'm saying (you can post links after 10 posts). All monitors (and HDTVs) have some degree of input lag. VSYNC and VSYNC + Triple Buffering will add to this. But the difference between VSYNC on and off is <1 frame (when NOT using triple buffering).

So, how does this work? When not using adaptive sync technologies (G-Sync, FreeSync), the monitor pulls from the GPU's frame buffer at every refresh (typical is 60hz, so 60 times per second). The GPU will draw a frame to the framebuffer, and then a second one to the back buffer (double buffering). With VSYNC off, the backbuffer frame is sent to the frame buffer as soon as it's complete. This means that it can be sent even while the monitor is drawing the previous screen (this leads to tearing). With VSYNC enabled, the backbuffer does not send the frame to the frame buffer until AFTER the monitor has drawn the prior complete frame.

So in most cases, input lag from this process at 60hz is 16.67ms (or, 1 frame), because that's how long it takes the monitor to draw the frame. With VSYNC off, you get your input registering on the next frame. With VSYNC on but triple buffering off, it might register on the second frame (33.33ms input lag, or, 1 additional frame). So, VSYNC adds UP TO 1 additional frame of input lag (which becomes less noticeable at higher framerates).

Generally, one frame is not noticeable. But, if you have a poorly configured monitor/HDTV, you may already be several frames behind. If you're at your cutoff point, that additional frame becomes noticeable.
    barky
    Re: GTX 970 running warmer than normal in just WoW 2015/09/21 06:40:48 (permalink)
    interesting. Thank you for the response!
    Clickalot
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 320
    Re: GTX 970 running warmer than normal in just WoW 2015/09/21 08:32:19 (permalink)
    WoW raids are actually quite extensive on your pc no matter what really, you got hundreds of animations going on a thousands of effects. With ultra quality it can get a bit odd on my 970 as well, although I usually set my rpm a bit higher whilst playing games like that.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile