EVGA

GTX 970 ACX 2.0 running hot in Far Cry 4? (80c)

Author
Puremin0rez
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/11/26 00:59:44 (permalink)
I was checking out the temperatures for my computer since I've just built it and when playing Far Cry 4, the temps hover between 75c and 82c.

Of course this is on the Ultra setting so I expect some heat - but is 80c excessive? When does throttling occur?

7 Replies Related Threads

Slider6996
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 669
    Re: GTX 970 ACX 2.0 running hot in Far Cry 4? (80c) 2014/11/26 04:58:24 (permalink)
    well since acx fans provide better cooling in my exp, i personaly think something is wonky because i run a 980 classy acx and my temps never go over 60C with a pretty high OC and on max settings. Heck even my 780 before upgrading i was on far cry 4 and temps were 65-68.  Might be dumb question but did u try switching to full screen and turning vsync on? I know it sounds dumb lol. And to ask the obvious question...do u have ur fan profile on aggresive or silent in precision? Im heading out for work but maybe someone else can chime in but try that and see what happens. 

Reason i ask about the vsync is when running Heaven i have it off and noticed strangely my temps are higher, when vsync is on there lower, not by much but def a difference but ya. 

Dell s2716dg Gsync 144hz Main gaming monitor
    Asus 60 Mhz 2nd Monitor
    Intel i7-7820X OC 4.7 Ghz
    Custom Water loop 
    Evga 1080ti hydro copper 
    GSkill Trident RBG 16gb Ram
    X299 MSI x299 M7 ACK Motherboard
    Sound Blaster Z Soundcard 
    Steel Series Artic 7 Headset
    Razer Chroma Keyboard
    Evga 750 Watt PSU
    Corex71 Full Tower Case 
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: GTX 970 ACX 2.0 running hot in Far Cry 4? (80c) 2014/11/26 05:08:23 (permalink)
    Yes, Vsync on will lower the temperature. Sometimes significantly.

What is your room temperature? Which computer case are you using? How many computer case fans do you have ane which way are they pointing? If you pull the side panel off your computer case and point a room fan blowing towards your open computer case, does the graphics card temperature lower significantly? If so, your computer case has airflow issues.
    dave851
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1696
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: GTX 970 ACX 2.0 running hot in Far Cry 4? (80c) 2014/11/26 05:10:19 (permalink)
    The default fan profile will let the card get up to around 80*C and try to keep it from going much higher. If you have not changed the temp target with something like afterburner/precision then the throttling will start once you start to get past 80*C. That being said 80* is not harmful, if it was getting over 90* I would start to worry a little more. If you want lower temps you can download something like afterburner or precision to set up a custom fan profile, it will be louder but cooler. 

Also ACX coolers are more dependent on case airflow then a blower type cooler that exhausts heat out of the back of the case. So if you have poor airflow in the case then the temps can be easily 5-10*C higher. If you told us the case then we might have some suggestions on lowering the temps with an additional fan or different placements. Also poor wire management can actually impede airflow if there's a lot of clutter near any front intake fans, would have to be a good amount of cable however. 

EDIT: Vsync can lower temps because it will cause the video card to "take a break" if it has enough frames already rendered. In simple terms the video card will only do as much work as it needs to in order for the fps to match your monitors refresh rate, so if you refresh rate is only 60hz, then its not going to try and get up to 120 fps. Less work = less heat
    post edited by dave851 - 2014/11/26 05:13:39
    Puremin0rez
    Re: GTX 970 ACX 2.0 running hot in Far Cry 4? (80c) 2014/11/26 05:20:02 (permalink)
    Slider6996
    well since acx fans provide better cooling in my exp, i personaly think something is wonky because i run a 980 classy acx and my temps never go over 60C with a pretty high OC and on max settings. Heck even my 780 before upgrading i was on far cry 4 and temps were 65-68.  Might be dumb question but did u try switching to full screen and turning vsync on? I know it sounds dumb lol. And to ask the obvious question...do u have ur fan profile on aggresive or silent in precision? Im heading out for work but maybe someone else can chime in but try that and see what happens. 

Reason i ask about the vsync is when running Heaven i have it off and noticed strangely my temps are higher, when vsync is on there lower, not by much but def a difference but ya. 

I am using Full Screen and VSync is on. Game runs most of the time at 60 fps (besides the horrible stutter far cry 4 is suffering from right now when driving around)

I'm not using precision or anything, just 100% stock fan profiles and clocks. I should note that the fan speed is only at around 40-50% when its around 78c which is a little odd; I guess EVGA chose to go the silent route.

ty_ger07
    Yes, Vsync on will lower the temperature. Sometimes significantly.

What is your room temperature? Which computer case are you using? How many computer case fans do you have ane which way are they pointing? If you pull the side panel off your computer case and point a room fan blowing towards your open computer case, does the graphics card temperature lower significantly? If so, your computer case has airflow issues.

Admittingly the room temperature is pretty warm, with it being winter time and me being located in a basement near our internal heating furnace it gets pretty toasty down here.

I am using the Corsair 200R and I'm using the fans that came with it, one in the front and one in the back.

I'm not too concerned with lowering the temperatures honestly if they're not "bad", I just want to know if its okay to be running at these temps while playing a graphically demanding game and if I'll be hitting a thermal throttle of any kind anywhere near 80c temps.

dave851
    The default fan profile will let the card get up to around 80*C and try to keep it from going much higher. If you have not changed the temp target with something like afterburner/precision then the throttling will start once you start to get past 80*C. That being said 80* is not harmful, if it was getting over 90* I would start to worry a little more. If you want lower temps you can download something like afterburner or precision to set up a custom fan profile, it will be louder but cooler. 

Also ACX coolers are more dependent on case airflow then a blower type cooler that exhausts heat out of the back of the case. So if you have poor airflow in the case then the temps can be easily 5-10*C higher. If you told us the case then we might have some suggestions on lowering the temps with an additional fan or different placements. Also poor wire management can actually impede airflow if there's a lot of clutter near any front intake fans, would have to be a good amount of cable however. 

EDIT: Vsync can lower temps because it will cause the video card to "take a break" if it has enough frames already rendered. In simple terms the video card will only do as much work as it needs to in order for the fps to match your monitors refresh rate, so if you refresh rate is only 60hz, then its not going to try and get up to 120 fps. Less work = less heat

That makes sense - It doesn't get any higher than 82c. Is 80c the thermal throttle limit or is it a dynamic thing that doesn't really have a set temperature?

I don't think I'm anywhere close to 90c, let alone 85c. I've tried pushing the card to its limits with furmark and unigine valley and it stayed at or slightly below 80.

As said above in this post, I have a fan at the front and fan at the (upper) back. (Standard configuration I think?)

I've done actually very well with cable management and there are hardly any wires and everything is tucked behind the motherboard tray using the provided cable management holes.

Thanks for providing feedback everyone. Just wanted to make sure temps slightly above 80 wasn't going to impede on my gaming performance or the life of my card.
    dave851
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1696
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: GTX 970 ACX 2.0 running hot in Far Cry 4? (80c) 2014/11/26 05:30:35 (permalink)
    Puremin0rez

That makes sense - It doesn't get any higher than 82c. Is 80c the thermal throttle limit or is it a dynamic thing that doesn't really have a set temperature?

Once you start to get past 80* it will start to under clock the card to reduce the heat it generates. This can affect gaming because once the card starts to lower it clock speed fps can suffer. You can raise this temperature with software as well as define a fan profile to keep the temps in check so the card will not under clock itself under heavy loads. 

The case you have doesn't exactly have the best airflow, if you added a fan on the lower section on the side panel you could most likely bring down the temps.
    Puremin0rez
    Re: GTX 970 ACX 2.0 running hot in Far Cry 4? (80c) 2014/11/26 06:13:07 (permalink)
    dave851
    Once you start to get past 80* it will start to under clock the card to reduce the heat it generates. This can affect gaming because once the card starts to lower it clock speed fps can suffer. You can raise this temperature with software as well as define a fan profile to keep the temps in check so the card will not under clock itself under heavy loads. 

The case you have doesn't exactly have the best airflow, if you added a fan on the lower section on the side panel you could most likely bring down the temps.

Thanks! I'll go ahead and set up a slightly more aggressive fan profile, since it seems a little silly that at 80c the fans are only running around half speed. Noise doesn't bother me much with some good headphones.
    travisscenes
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: GTX 970 ACX 2.0 running hot in Far Cry 4? (80c) 2014/12/18 08:27:20 (permalink)
    I have two gtx 970 ftw in sli in a micro atx case. When I 1st bought the card I was hitting temps of 87 degrees on the top card under 100% load for only 15 min. Needless to say I was very worried, I thought maybe there was something wrong with the card so I switched the placement of the 2 cards. Again the one on top hitting 87 degrees, next step I did was adjust my fan curves. I have the fans spinning 100% at 70 degrees and now the top card hits a max of 70 degrees but it is loud... Like really loud. So loud that I plan on watercooling them as soon as ek comes out with the watercblocks. I am going to try to add some fans under the 2 cards to blow air up from the bottom of the case but not sure if that will help because of how close they are.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile