EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102393
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 85
2024/04/20 07:30:42 (permalink)
Warning: Strong language

EK is Imploding: Not Paying Employees, Partners, & Suppliers

https://youtu.be/b73xG1HlFhY?si=qAuO6wkpBxEURtus

Normally Gamers Nexus tries to censor it's own swearing/cursing but they missed at least one word in this video. Don't watch the video if you are offended by this type of language. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

10 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31019
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: EK is Imploding: Not Paying Employees, Partners, & Suppliers 2024/04/20 10:08:43 (permalink)
    dang, not good

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Grey_Beard
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2233
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: EK is Imploding: Not Paying Employees, Partners, & Suppliers 2024/04/20 11:33:42 (permalink)
    Definitely not a good situation. Seems the water cooling and PC building industry is going through some changes. Not sure if it’s for the better.

Flybye
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1170
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: EK is Imploding: Not Paying Employees, Partners, & Suppliers 2024/04/21 08:11:47 (permalink)
    I hope there is a good reason in that video.

Gaming thing
    i9-12900KF @ 5.20GHz
    EVGA: Z690 Classified - RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra - Supernova 1200w P3 - DG-75
    32GBs Corsair Dominator DDR5 @ 6800 - Seagate: .5TB, 1TB M.2s, HD 4TB
    Sony CRT 24" GDM-FW900 16:10 - DangerDen (RIP) Goodies: 2x120mm Rad & D5 + Primochill stuff
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18937
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: EK is Imploding: Not Paying Employees, Partners, & Suppliers 2024/04/21 08:36:35 (permalink)

Just watched it. That's a shocker, I always assumed EK were very reputable. Never had any issues dealing with them for years now. Then again, I was a regular customer of FrozenGPU for years, and boy did that place ever take a turn for the worse. Amazing how the wrong person in the driver's seat can completely ruin a company so quickly and destroy years of goodwill almost overnight. Hope EK sort it out, their products are great imho.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102393
    • Ribbons : 85
    Re: EK is Imploding: Not Paying Employees, Partners, & Suppliers 2024/04/21 12:04:27 (permalink)
    Proper planning, logistics, customer service, and internal communication can solve the issues they are having. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

a213m
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 879
    • Ribbons : 20
    Re: EK is Imploding: Not Paying Employees, Partners, & Suppliers 2024/04/22 15:46:26 (permalink)
    Not related to current situation, but here's somewhat EK-related story that happened to me a while ago.

Last year I upgraded to a Raptor Lake platform and bought an LGA 1700 waterblock from EK's website. It was shipped by DHL and they applied import duties and fees. DHL allows customers to pay in advance, pay at delivery, or clear the package yourself. I chose the latter, since it's a bit cheaper and I've done that before so I thought everything would go smoothly.

After getting necessary paperwork from DHL, I headed to the nearest Customs office. Upon arrival I presented the paperwork to an agent who first asked me how long I have been in Canada, which is weird. The last time I imported a motheboard monoblock, the agent only asked me if the item being imported was for personal or business use, and stamped the documents and I was out in less than 5 minutes.

This time the agent was either very suspicious or very clueless. After explaining I was building a custom water-cooled PC, he got more confused. He asked why I need water inside my computer; what is so special about my computer that it needs this part I was importing; who is EK; where is Slovenia; why didn't I buy it locally; why am building a PC, when I could've bought one from BestBuy; and so on. I answered every question accurately, I explained how water is used to carry heat away from the CPU, and how I've been building PCs since long time ago, and this wasn't my first water-cooled system, and that I've never bought a prebuilt desktop system ever in my life. In the end he was more confused, he said he never heard of EK, never heard of water being needed inside computers, and never heard of people building their own PCs.

Ok, I don't expect everyone to be an expert in PC building or custom water-cooling loops, but at least people of my age or younger should be aware of such things. It's not like 2003 anymore, when people used aquarium pumps and car radiators. As of 2023 water-cooling has become mainstream, even stores that never sold PC components before now carry AIOs. The agent who was interrogating me was probably about my age or younger, so he should've had some knowledge of modern technologies. The way he was interrogating me (and it felt like interrogation, customs officers are equipped with guns, just like police officers), and this agent armed with gun in police-like uniform was asking so many questions as if I was importing something illegal or prohibited.

In the end he let me pay the duties and getting documents stamped, but the way he was interrogating me he was either very suspicious or very clueless, and I left the office exhausted and stressed.

My free and open source SDR-DDR5 SPD reader/writer with write protection capabilities

New: 13900K, Z790 HERO, 2x32GB 6800C32, 4090, 2TB SN850, AX1600i
    Old: 10980XE, X299SE2, 8x8GB 4000C15, 4090, 2TB SN850, AX1600i
    Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18937
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: EK is Imploding: Not Paying Employees, Partners, & Suppliers 2024/04/22 16:22:33 (permalink)
    a213m
    *snip*
    In the end he let me pay the duties and getting documents stamped, but the way he was interrogating me he was either very suspicious or very clueless, and I left the office exhausted and stressed.

I'd say clueless. Very. I'm also guessing very new at the job and way too eager.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31019
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: EK is Imploding: Not Paying Employees, Partners, & Suppliers 2024/04/23 09:14:29 (permalink)
    a213m
    Not related to current situation, but here's somewhat EK-related story that happened to me a while ago.

Last year I upgraded to a Raptor Lake platform and bought an LGA 1700 waterblock from EK's website. It was shipped by DHL and they applied import duties and fees. DHL allows customers to pay in advance, pay at delivery, or clear the package yourself. I chose the latter, since it's a bit cheaper and I've done that before so I thought everything would go smoothly.

After getting necessary paperwork from DHL, I headed to the nearest Customs office. Upon arrival I presented the paperwork to an agent who first asked me how long I have been in Canada, which is weird. The last time I imported a motheboard monoblock, the agent only asked me if the item being imported was for personal or business use, and stamped the documents and I was out in less than 5 minutes.

This time the agent was either very suspicious or very clueless. After explaining I was building a custom water-cooled PC, he got more confused. He asked why I need water inside my computer; what is so special about my computer that it needs this part I was importing; who is EK; where is Slovenia; why didn't I buy it locally; why am building a PC, when I could've bought one from BestBuy; and so on. I answered every question accurately, I explained how water is used to carry heat away from the CPU, and how I've been building PCs since long time ago, and this wasn't my first water-cooled system, and that I've never bought a prebuilt desktop system ever in my life. In the end he was more confused, he said he never heard of EK, never heard of water being needed inside computers, and never heard of people building their own PCs.

Ok, I don't expect everyone to be an expert in PC building or custom water-cooling loops, but at least people of my age or younger should be aware of such things. It's not like 2003 anymore, when people used aquarium pumps and car radiators. As of 2023 water-cooling has become mainstream, even stores that never sold PC components before now carry AIOs. The agent who was interrogating me was probably about my age or younger, so he should've had some knowledge of modern technologies. The way he was interrogating me (and it felt like interrogation, customs officers are equipped with guns, just like police officers), and this agent armed with gun in police-like uniform was asking so many questions as if I was importing something illegal or prohibited.

you must have hesitated as you wondered why he wanted to know "X" ..... that sets off their radar.  They look at how you respond as much or more than what you respond.

I know someone who had an issue getting into Canada & ended up with a full vehicle search & passengers (driver +1) were separated & questioned.  All because as the driver was thinking what the hell does that have to do with anything / why would they ask that .... boarder agent "thinks" someone trying to be evasive or ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Flybye
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1170
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: EK is Imploding: Not Paying Employees, Partners, & Suppliers 2024/04/23 16:18:17 (permalink)
    The moment the agent would have asked why I need water in my computer, I would have exploded with excitement to show a million water cooled PC pics and videos.

Gaming thing
    i9-12900KF @ 5.20GHz
    EVGA: Z690 Classified - RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra - Supernova 1200w P3 - DG-75
    32GBs Corsair Dominator DDR5 @ 6800 - Seagate: .5TB, 1TB M.2s, HD 4TB
    Sony CRT 24" GDM-FW900 16:10 - DangerDen (RIP) Goodies: 2x120mm Rad & D5 + Primochill stuff
    a213m
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 879
    • Ribbons : 20
    Re: EK is Imploding: Not Paying Employees, Partners, & Suppliers 2024/04/23 23:34:25 (permalink)
    EK's response (tldr version): 

Dear Community,
    We sincerely apologize.
    We are committed to fulfilling our financial obligations and regaining your trust.
    We are dedicated to making things right and fostering a more responsible company culture.

https://www.ekwb.com/news/ek-issues-official-statement-acknowledging-past-issues-plans-corrective-actions/

My free and open source SDR-DDR5 SPD reader/writer with write protection capabilities

New: 13900K, Z790 HERO, 2x32GB 6800C32, 4090, 2TB SN850, AX1600i
    Old: 10980XE, X299SE2, 8x8GB 4000C15, 4090, 2TB SN850, AX1600i
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile