Hot!EVGA X570 FTW WiFi - Onboard NIC not working

Author
RiffyDivine
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 183
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2023/03/13 08:44:37 (permalink)
So I am playing around with proxmox and hosting on the machine using this board. It was working fine till I really hosed up my proxmox install to the point the board was reporting the processor was dead but I fixed all that now. But it did involve reflashing the bios by booting into the second bios and then flipping the switch back to the main bios and reflashing. Since then the onboard nic doesn't work under either bios. I am currently using a card I picked up to get it back online but I was wondering if anyone had any idea what I did or how to get it working again? Right now when I plug a cable into it either port lights up and no OS I installed sees it or even lists it as being there. I think I may have messed it up during the reflash but not sure how, and yes it is set to on in the bios. 

14 Replies Related Threads

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102319
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: EVGA X570 FTW WiFi - Onboard NIC not working 2023/03/13 08:55:56 (permalink)
    Have you tried reinstalling the ethernet drivers?

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

RiffyDivine
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EVGA X570 FTW WiFi - Onboard NIC not working 2023/03/13 09:19:05 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    Have you tried reinstalling the ethernet drivers?

It's a debian based system. But I did have it recheck for hardware and only the card I added came up after I grepped the output. 
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: EVGA X570 FTW WiFi - Onboard NIC not working 2023/03/13 09:41:12 (permalink)
    OK, sorry kind of basic - but I'll ask

is the NIC on in BIOS?

Fast Boot Off in BIOS?

CSM off ?

did you save default BIOS settings --> before you flashed BIOS - no idea why, but it can make a difference in how the "bios populates"

have you tried a True cold boot? ---> unplug PC & anything connected to PC with a wall plug.  Then hold start button 20-30 sec. to discharge capacitors, plug in & reboot

Going back to the unchanged BIOS -- it should only take a "cold" reboot, after changing BIOS switch -- odd for the NIC chip on MB to be missing on second BIOS if you only flashed 1 BIOS

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

RiffyDivine
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EVGA X570 FTW WiFi - Onboard NIC not working 2023/03/13 10:34:28 (permalink)
    Cool GTX

is the NIC on in BIOS?

Fast Boot Off in BIOS?

CSM off ?

did you save default BIOS settings --> before you flashed BIOS - no idea why, but it can make a difference in how the "bios populates"

have you tried a True cold boot? ---> unplug PC & anything connected to PC with a wall plug.  Then hold start button 20-30 sec. to discharge capacitors, plug in & reboot

Going back to the unchanged BIOS -- it should only take a "cold" reboot, after changing BIOS switch -- odd for the NIC chip on MB to be missing on second BIOS if you only flashed 1 BIOS

Yes
    Yes
    Yes

No, I manually re-set it back up after the flash.
    Yes, a few times with no change. I am not 100% sure it is the bios but give that both bios do not report the nic once the system is up makes me worry and I am not sure how I could have killed the nic. But yeah the second bios is still the stock one that came with the board and bios one is the updated one.
    RiffyDivine
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EVGA X570 FTW WiFi - Onboard NIC not working 2023/06/08 10:47:37 (permalink)
    Cool GTX

is the NIC on in BIOS?

Fast Boot Off in BIOS?

CSM off ?

Sorry to dig this back up but I am again trying to fix this and just to say I asked. Where in the bios do I turn the nic on or off? I just want to be 100% sure I didn't overlook something. 
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10103
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: EVGA X570 FTW WiFi - Onboard NIC not working 2023/06/08 11:54:37 (permalink)
    Windows update is also not showing anything?

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EVGA X570 FTW WiFi - Onboard NIC not working 2023/06/08 15:04:44 (permalink)
    RiffyDivine

Sorry to dig this back up but I am again trying to fix this and just to say I asked. Where in the bios do I turn the nic on or off? I just want to be 100% sure I didn't overlook something. 

found this for the Dark BIOS & NIC ... FTW might be the same?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RiffyDivine
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EVGA X570 FTW WiFi - Onboard NIC not working 2023/06/09 05:18:59 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    RiffyDivine

found this for the Dark BIOS & NIC ... FTW might be the same?

Yes, thank you. It was indeed already active when I went in there. 

Hoggle
    Windows update is also not showing anything?

It's not a windows based OS.
    RiffyDivine
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EVGA X570 FTW WiFi - Onboard NIC not working 2023/06/16 05:03:49 (permalink)
    So, I got my replacement board from EVGA and got it all installed. The network card still doesn't work. At this point I got my tools out and tested the cable, the switch and everything backwards to the wall. Everything is good and I got no idea why the network card still acts like it is offline. 
    _Gir_
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 332
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: EVGA X570 FTW WiFi - Onboard NIC not working 2023/06/16 08:17:13 (permalink)
    RiffyDivine
    The network card still doesn't work.

What OS are you using to test the network card?
    RiffyDivine
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EVGA X570 FTW WiFi - Onboard NIC not working 2023/06/16 08:21:23 (permalink)
    _Gir_
    RiffyDivine
    The network card still doesn't work.

What OS are you using to test the network card?

Proxmox, debian, arch, well linux. I don't have a self booting os of anything else. 
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: EVGA X570 FTW WiFi - Onboard NIC not working 2023/06/16 10:56:27 (permalink)
    Does the WIFI work?

Might want to try flashing your BIOS again? 

Step 1 - load & save default BIOS settings
       Step 2 - Flash BIOS

If it is still not working you might want to contact EVGA support directly
    Contact Tech Support

RiffyDivine
    Superclocked Member
    Re: EVGA X570 FTW WiFi - Onboard NIC not working 2023/06/16 11:27:20 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Does the WIFI work?

Might want to try flashing your BIOS again? 

Step 1 - load & save default BIOS settings
       Step 2 - Flash BIOS

If it is still not working you might want to contact EVGA support directly
    Contact Tech Support

Yes the wifi is active but doesn't like being bridged as most wifi's dislike. I can flash to 1.09 again and try again but it doesn't seem to be doing anything why I try. Already reached out them and they sent me an RMA but now I am thinking maybe it's not the physical hardware but something more. I am going to try something weird and set it to boot from the network first in the hope it kicks the card into turning on. 
    _Gir_
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 332
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: EVGA X570 FTW WiFi - Onboard NIC not working 2023/06/17 11:54:10 (permalink)
    RiffyDivine...
    It was working fine till I really hosed up my proxmox install to the point the board was reporting the processor was dead but I fixed all that now. But it did involve reflashing the bios by booting into the second bios and then flipping the switch back to the main bios and reflashing. Since then the onboard nic doesn't work under either bios. ...

Can you expand on the proxmox issue?  It's not very often to come across an OS incident that messed up the BIOS. 

Also do you have another processor you can try in the board? 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile