EVGA

AnsweredStep up sales tax

Author
PaulFromAZ
  • Total Posts : 18
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/11/29 13:48:25 (permalink)
I purchased a FTW3 3070 from newegg a couple weeks ago for $609.99 I immediately registered it and went through the steps to find out the final charge to step up to the FTW3 3080 which is $809.99
I noticed that the sales tax was on the DIFFERENCE of the cards which is $200, but when I check again on the price this week I noticed the sales tax went up to the TOTAL price of the 3080...thats about a $50 difference, what's up EVGA? does anyone have any info on this change? It would make sense to only pay the sales tax on the difference of cards...plz help, this is the only thing that is stopping me from stepping up, thx
arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6916
  • Ribbons : 76
Re: Step up sales tax 2020/11/29 13:58:05 (permalink)
Per https://www.evga.com/support/stepup/ 

"Sales tax is required for orders shipping into states where EVGA has or may have nexus for state tax purposes under applicable laws. Additionally, sales tax may be required under various state laws, which are in effect at the time of purchase. If required, you will be charged the applicable sales tax according to your area's tax rate. The sales tax is calculated based on the price of the new product you wish to Step-Up to."

Thank your state legislators for their tax structure. 
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: Step up sales tax 2020/11/29 15:24:20 (permalink)
You would need to contact support. When you get to step two, there will be a final verification of all prices and the totals may change, but contacting support would get you an answer quicker.
EVGATech_PeterN
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 144
Re: Step up sales tax 2020/11/29 15:50:16 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby Cool GTX 2020/11/30 10:57:57
Hi PaulFromAZ,

EVGA did update the Step Up system for the sales to be charged on MSRP of the product.  It is correct, if the sales tax was based on the full price of the new GPU.

Regards,
Peter N

Like our service? Please provide feedback for us at the link . 
MonnieRock
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 128
Re: Step up sales tax 2020/11/30 10:43:51 (permalink)
EVGATech_PeterN
Hi PaulFromAZ,

EVGA did update the Step Up system for the sales to be charged on MSRP of the product.  It is correct, if the sales tax was based on the full price of the new GPU.

Regards,
Peter N

If the transaction is $200, how are you taxing $809.99?

http://www.heatware.com/u/105144

Rack Rig: Rosewill RSV-L4000 | Koolance  ERM-3K3UC | Xeon E5-1680v2 @ 4.9ghz  | Asus Rampage IV Black Edition | 64GB 2133mhz | EVGA TitanX Hydrocopper SLI | 970 Evo Plus nvme | Seasonic 1000w PSU | Win10 Pro 2004 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind Rudders | Obutto R3volution | HP Reverb
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21174
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: Step up sales tax 2020/11/30 10:55:03 (permalink)
MonnieRock
EVGATech_PeterN
Hi PaulFromAZ,

Regards,
Peter N

It is kind of silly, huh?
You paid sales tax on the full price of the first card, you stepped up to the second card paying for the difference in price between the two, and then you pay sales tax for the full price of the second card too?  It's probably some legal stupidity which they are afraid to fight.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

maytheus
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 109
Re: Step up sales tax 2020/11/30 10:55:22 (permalink)
MonnieRock
EVGATech_PeterN
Hi PaulFromAZ,

Regards,
Peter N

Because "sales tax" is actually "sales and use tax".  You used the $610 item and paid tax on it.  You will now use a new $810 item and pay tax on that.  Before you bring up vehicles, they have specific legislated exemptions for trade-ins.  Consumer electronics do not have such exemptions.  

CPU: Intel i9 10900k
MB: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ~ PSU: eVGA 1000W T2 Titanium
RAM: 4x8GB G.Skill TridentZ Neo F4-3600C16D-16GTZN CL16-16-16-36
Video Card: eVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL w/ Lian Li Unifan Case Fans
SSDs/HDDs: Sabrent Rocket 500gb PCI 4 NVMe SSD, Sabrent Rocket 2TB PCI 4 NVMe SSD
Display: LG 34GP83A-B 34" Ultrawide Curved QHD 1440p Monitor @ 144hz
Mouse: Logitech G900 ~ Mouse Mat: Gamers Nexus Mouse Mat
Keyboard: Logitech G910 ~ Sound: Schitt Hel External DAC w/ Sennhesier HD6XX Headset and Modmic
Watercooling: EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock; EK GPU Block; Heatkiller Tube Res; EK Rads (PE360 and XE360)
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Step up sales tax 2020/11/30 11:00:47 (permalink)
maytheus
MonnieRock
EVGATech_PeterN
Hi PaulFromAZ,

Regards,
Peter N

Because "sales tax" is actually "sales and use tax".  You used the $610 item and paid tax on it.  You will now use a new $810 item and pay tax on that.  Before you bring up vehicles, they have specific legislated exemptions for trade-ins.  Consumer electronics do not have such exemptions.  

Ok, fine.
Does EVGA pay sales tax for buying the card back from him through the step-up process?  If not, EVGA should foot his sales tax bill.  Legally, maybe EVGA does have to ensure that the full sales tax is paid each time, but its EVGA's choice who should foot the bill, right?  EVGA is the one who forwards the sales tax to the applicable state.  It's EVGA's choice where those funds come from.
These laws are silly.  When EVGA sells the card it received from step-up as a B-stock item, the buyer has to pay sales tax for it again.  How many times does the same card create revenue for a state?

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31005
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Step up sales tax 2020/11/30 11:02:44 (permalink)
Step-UP

Your "buying the New GPU" @ Retail +Tax

EVGA is offering you the "value you Paid" (less tax & shipping) as a Promotional Discount on the NEW GPU purchase (Trade in value)

EVGA Step-Up

(Excerpt)

"Sales tax is required for orders shipping into states where EVGA has or may have nexus for state tax purposes under applicable laws. Additionally, sales tax may be required under various state laws, which are in effect at the time of purchase. If required, you will be charged the applicable sales tax according to your area's tax rate. The sales tax is calculated based on the price of the new product you wish to Step-Up to."

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

maytheus
Superclocked Member
Re: Step up sales tax 2020/11/30 11:11:29 (permalink)
ty_ger07
maytheus
MonnieRock
EVGATech_PeterN
Hi PaulFromAZ,

Regards,
Peter N

Ok, fine.
Does EVGA pay sales tax for buying the card back from him through the step-up process?  If not, EVGA should foot his sales tax bill.  Legally, maybe EVGA does have to ensure that the full sales tax is paid each time, but its EVGA's choice who should foot the bill, right?  EVGA is the one who forwards the sales tax to the applicable state.  It's EVGA's choice where those funds come from.
These laws are silly.  When EVGA sells the card it received from step-up as a B-stock item, the buyer has to pay sales tax for it again.  How many times does the same card create revenue for a state?

Don't shoot the messenger or EVGA.  It's your benevolent overlords that make the rules.  They also decide which animals are more equal than others (see vehicle sales).  

EVGA is required to collect the sales tax on each item they sell at the price it sells at (trade ins are not taken into account in this equation).  If and when they resell the OP's 3070, they'll collect sales tax on that as well from whomever purchases it.  It is similar to when I take my Xbox into Gamestop to trade in one the new model.  I still pay sales tax on the $500 the new model costs.  I just get a credit toward the purchase.

SSDs/HDDs: Sabrent Rocket 500gb PCI 4 NVMe SSD, Sabrent Rocket 2TB PCI 4 NVMe SSD
Keyboard: Logitech G910 ~ Sound: Schitt Hel External DAC w/ Sennhesier HD6XX Headset and Modmic
Watercooling: EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock; EK GPU Block; Heatkiller Tube Res; EK Rads (PE360 and XE360)
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Step up sales tax 2020/11/30 11:17:02 (permalink)
maytheus

Don't shoot the messenger or EVGA.  It's your benevolent overlords that make the rules.  They also decide which animals are more equal than others (see vehicle sales).  

EVGA is required to collect the sales tax on each item they sell at the price it sells at (trade ins are not taken into account in this equation).  If and when they resell the OP's 3070, they'll collect sales tax on that as well from whomever purchases it.  It is similar to when I take my Xbox into Gamestop to trade in one the new model.  I still pay sales tax on the $500 the new model costs.  I just get a credit toward the purchase.

Does EVGA pay sales tax for buying the step-up card back from the user?

dragomirc
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 760
Re: Step up sales tax 2020/11/30 11:20:54 (permalink)
Greedy & corrupted politicians, never enough money from working people.

That is shame, on 2 products they steal 3 full taxes.
Bradypan
  • Total Posts : 58
Re: Step up sales tax 2020/11/30 11:27:42 (permalink)
ty_ger07
maytheus

They would if the user were a business.  In general, private individuals don't have to collect sales tax on behalf of the government, but businesses that sell used goods do have to collect tax.  Of course, most people would just do this as a private individual, although not sure if that would be legal.  It would essentially be an employee stealing or being "gifted" the GPU by the business and then doing this double transaction of selling and then buying another card with company money.
maytheus
Superclocked Member
Re: Step up sales tax 2020/11/30 11:44:16 (permalink)
Bradypan
ty_ger07
maytheus

They would if the user were a business.  In general, private individuals don't have to collect sales tax on behalf of the government, but businesses that sell used goods do have to collect tax.  Of course, most people would just do this as a private individual, although not sure if that would be legal.  It would essentially be an employee stealing or being "gifted" the GPU by the business and then doing this double transaction of selling and then buying another card with company money.

Fun fact.  Here in Texas for years we didn't pay sales tax on Amazon purchases (or any online for that matter).  Legally, Texas residents were required to remit sales/use tax to the state for online purchases that did not collect it.  Of course the state never pursued it from the citizens but we were still technically supposed to do it.  Texas did go after Amazon though and got something like $250 million from them and from then on we were charged sales tax.

Blackziel
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: Step up sales tax 2021/06/03 10:37:59 (permalink)
i have a question . for example on amazon there are professional and normal accounts  so you can buy without tax when buying from EU. is here an option available ? i cant really test it since there are no products for me to click to add to cart or something like that.
thanks in advance
FiremanX703
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 102
Re: Step up sales tax 2021/06/05 11:09:36 (permalink)
Not surprised, most companies are trying to take advantage of the demand...
Gr3yGhost
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 230
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Step up sales tax 2021/06/05 13:01:33 (permalink)
maytheus
Bradypan
ty_ger07
maytheus

Fun fact.  Here in Texas for years we didn't pay sales tax on Amazon purchases (or any online for that matter).  Legally, Texas residents were required to remit sales/use tax to the state for online purchases that did not collect it.  Of course the state never pursued it from the citizens but we were still technically supposed to do it.  Texas did go after Amazon though and got something like $250 million from them and from then on we were charged sales tax.

It was essentially not a requirement for Amazon to charge taxes to customers who are buying products where Amazon did not have a physical presence at. Not that Amazon has 2 or 3 warehouses in Texas... All Texans now pay taxes on Amazon purchases. 

This actually was a federal tax law for a while - online purchases were tax free unless the entity exists in a place where the purchaser resides. 

daisie345
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Step up sales tax 2023/02/06 00:44:30 (permalink)
To get a quicker answer, it's recommended that you reach out to support. During the second step of the process, a final verification of all prices will be conducted and the totals may be adjusted. Contacting support would provide you with the information you need.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: Step up sales tax 2023/02/06 02:00:59 (permalink)
daisie345
To get a quicker answer, it's recommended that you reach out to support. During the second step of the process, a final verification of all prices will be conducted and the totals may be adjusted. Contacting support would provide you with the information you need.

Welcome to the forums. This topic isn’t really under discussion as step up doesn’t exist anymore. Both thread you commented on haven’t been active in almost a year and a half.
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Step up sales tax 2023/02/06 04:26:24 (permalink)
Gr3yGhost
This actually was a federal tax law for a while - online purchases were tax free unless the entity exists in a place where the purchaser resides. 

A tax law for the retailer, maybe. For the consumer, it wasn't tax free. The consumer was required to report and pay use tax to their state. Now, since consumers weren't doing that, the retailers are made to ensure tax is collected.

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: Step up sales tax 2023/02/06 08:47:26 (permalink)
maytheus
Bradypan
ty_ger07
maytheus

This was true for a number of states until relatively recently. Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon are the only states that do not collect this as they do not have state sales taxes.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

B0baganoosh
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2366
  • Ribbons : 39
Re: Step up sales tax 2023/02/06 13:02:39 (permalink)
HeavyHemi

This was true for a number of states until relatively recently. Montana, New Hampshire, and Oregon are the only states that do not collect this as they do not have state sales taxes.

Live Free or Die*

(*exceptions do apply, but NH still doesn't pay sales tax for most goods or have a state income tax)

6Q6CPFHPBPCU691 is a discount code anyone can use.

i9 13900k - EVGA Z690 Classy - Nvidia RTX 4090 FE - G.Skill 32GB DDR5-6000  - WD SN850 2TB NVMe Gen4 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 12 1200W - Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 Pro. MO-RA3 420 Pro. Dark Palimpsest MODS RIGS post for build notes.
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile