EVGA

Displays no longer detecting in HDMI and DVI ports - 1080 Ti Kingpin

Author
avengerx
  • Total Posts : 26
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2022/11/13 22:37:26 (permalink)
Today, for the second time, my 2nd display, that was on DVI-D port, was disconnected out of nowhere when I was launching a game (fallout 4) and never came back. Not even detected, and anything I plug in DVI-D _or_ HDMI port is not detected. Only DP plugs work.

My main display is in a DP connection. The graphics card got 3x miniDP + 1x HDMI + 1x DVI-D. When it "disconnected", it briefly turned off and back on the main display as well. All windows that were in 2nd display moved in to main display's desktop. The monitors connected via DVI/HDMI detects they were connected somewhere, but complain about no signal and go power saving (pretty much as it does when we choose not to extend/mirror screens).

The monitors are not listed in Display Settings or nvidia's Control Panel. No sound plays when I plug/unplug them (like it usually does when new devices are dis/connected).

The previous time this happened, I was busy and just tried a few plug back and forths and reboots, and let system run with a single display for a couple months, until a recent driver update "magically" detected the displays when it re-connects the card during install. It worked for about one month, until today. :(

The displays don't show anymore in windows display properties, or nvidia control panel. Here's a list of what I tried so far:
- updated the drivers (there was an available update at the time the problem happened)
- plugged another small screen I have to the HDMI port. It worked a few days ago while the other DVI display was on. Not anymore
- removed DP cable from main display and connected it via HDMI (the working DP monitor doesn't detect in the HDMI port!)
- moved DP cable from one port to another (works, the three DP are still working it seems)
- shutdown/reboot
- turned off by completely cutting off power (PSU switch) and waited some minutes
- reseated the GPU - switched to 2nd BIOS (GPU has 3 switchable bioses)
- checked GPU temps and voltages (all good -- and this GPU has a lot of sensors!)
- powered computer on with only the DVI display plugged (no video at all, booted to windows, I plugged DP display to see anything)
- powered computer on with only the HDMI display plugged (no video at all, booted to windows, I plugged DP display to see anything)
- clicked "detect" in windows' Display Settings, under "Multiple displays" section.

Any ideas? The card still works fine for games and all -- provided I stick to the single DP monitor.

5 Replies Related Threads

avengerx
    Re: Displays no longer detecting in HDMI and DVI ports - 1080 Ti Kingpin 2022/11/15 23:32:51 (permalink)
    Well, I figured I wouldn't receive any answer here -- at least not too soon.

Anyways, what I've done so far to circumvent the issue was to downgrade the drivers for 472.12 (thanks to Greybear from nvidia forums) and plug an old MSI GTX 670 I had sitting around to drive the additional screens. Hardly a fix, but I had a few side advantages from a couple issues I've been living with for some time now:

1. Now the GPU can actually idle while I'm not gaming (see any nvidia drivers' release notes, they state that GPUs will stay busy (https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3017/~/gpu-runs-at-a-high-performance-level%28full-clock-speeds%29-in-multi-display-modes -- although they claim 600+ series don't have this limitation, they do run "much busier" when multi-display is employed); from 1500MHz idle, my kingpin now idle at 139MHz; the 670 GPU idles at 324MHz, although I still read same-ish reading of 130Watts pull from my computer from my UPS display, while not gaming.
    2. My DELL S2721DGF monitor refused to work with GSync (well, it's crappy "compatible" but better than nothing, I guess?) if I had more than 2 screens plugged to my Kingpin 1080 Ti.l Now that I have one ([link=mailto:DisplayPort@165Hz]DisplayPort@165Hz[/link]) to Kingpin, other (DVI@110Hz passthru) to the MSI 670 and a tiny 720p VGA to the onboard graphics (that was just so that I don't need a VGA-HDMI adapter), I can enjoy that GSync even with three screens running.

Now I'll have to live with outdated display drivers. Still need to check if I can still run fresh games like Overwatch 2. :S

I should eventually tear the GPU apart to renew thermal pads, they're all melting down. In the past I needed to disassemble it to fix pumped out thermal paste (this seems to be a recurring issue in Kingpin 1080 Tis).

Well, and last, too bad there won't be a 4090 Kingpin card. That could have been my next purchase as I am nearing the end of life of my hardware. :)
    post edited by avengerx - 2022/11/15 23:34:37
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Displays no longer detecting in HDMI and DVI ports - 1080 Ti Kingpin 2022/11/16 07:01:34 (permalink)
    OS details ?

Nvidia driver Details ? (before you installed 472.12)

Did you run Nvidia driver "Perform a Clean Install"

Have you run DDU to cleanup old drivers?

Nvidia Control Panel, is "power management mode" - set to adaptive?

Could be a GPU failure on those ports that stopped working .... did you buy the extended warranty?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

avengerx
    Re: Displays no longer detecting in HDMI and DVI ports - 1080 Ti Kingpin 2022/11/16 20:09:55 (permalink)
    Hi, thanks for your follow-up!

Cool GTX
    OS details ?

Windows 10, 21H2 

Cool GTX
    Nvidia driver Details ? (before you installed 472.12)

I was just going with latest geforce experience gave me. The last I went was 526.86. Guess I'm going to skip 526.98 onwards since now I got GTX 670 as secondary card and latest driver supporting it was 472.12. There's a "newer" driver for GTX 670, but it doesn't support the 1080, so I need the latest that supported both GPUs.

Cool GTX
    Did you run Nvidia driver "Perform a Clean Install"

Yes. When I rolled back to 45x.xx (stock OS drivers) the configs corrupted then I needed to wipe configs. Since then I installed drivers checking this mark.

Cool GTX
    Have you run DDU to cleanup old drivers?

No, I skipped running DDU. I understand what's at stake here, that left overs might have been left, etc. But as I said, the DVI or HDMI connectors don't work even if they are the only connected devices at boot time (from complete shutdown). For that matter, I also switched the BIOS, and it still didn't work on those ports.

Cool GTX
    Nvidia Control Panel, is "power management mode" - set to adaptive?

No, it is default, "Optimal power". For specific heavy games I select "Prefer maximum performance".

Cool GTX
    Could be a GPU failure on those ports that stopped working .... did you buy the extended warranty?

Yes, I really think it is an issue in the board. The screens once returned to work, then out of a sudden, right in a spike of GPU usage (loading a game) they poofed away, so probably heat spike cut something loose in there.
    I was hoping to get hints on where should I look in the GPU for the DVI/HDMI related components.
    No, I didn't buy extended warranty, the GPU is past due its warranty, EVGA already turned me down.

As soon as I find the thermal pads I bought some time ago I'll take the GPU apart and replace them along with new grease. The stock thermal pad is all melting down. There's probably some hotspots around the padded parts.
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10103
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Displays no longer detecting in HDMI and DVI ports - 1080 Ti Kingpin 2022/11/16 23:49:15 (permalink)
    Have you looked for monitor firmware and tried hooking the computer to a TV monitor to see if gives a display? Trying a display port and HDMI probably rules out a bad cable or bad port.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

avengerx
    Re: Displays no longer detecting in HDMI and DVI ports - 1080 Ti Kingpin 2022/11/17 13:13:08 (permalink)
    Hoggle
    Have you looked for monitor firmware and tried hooking the computer to a TV monitor to see if gives a display? Trying a display port and HDMI probably rules out a bad cable or bad port.

I'm using both DVI and HDMI screens on the second GPU I installed. Actually, the HDMI one is a VGA>HDMI dongle. I tested it in the 2nd GPU and works, but I'm now using it in the onboard port (which is a "native" VGA one), the DVI must go to the GTX 670 although my onboard graphics has a DVI port, because the screen is a QNIX QX2710LED, it uses a "passthru board", i.e., there's no OSD, no fancy effects whatsoever, just power, brightness +/- and volume controls. Brightness just controls backlight, and audio I never used, but it has a P2 audio jack in its back.

Fun fact: this old QNIX monitor got a fix from the very latest NVidia drivers, that is, 526.98. See release notes section 3.1 (driver link with link to release notes: https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/194380/en-us/). This is interesting cause that's a 2011 or before monitor! My panel was impressively overclockable to 120Hz with some occasional green lines flashing here and then, and I have been working with it at 110Hz for I-dont-know-how-many-years. I'd say 10 years alone running everyday at 110Hz; I got the panel around 2011. Perfect pixel (no dead ones), very acceptable bleeding, 1440p, the very only thing that beast misses is gsync! Well, and it's bound to die because it has no displayport connectivity and it's not "any dongle" that could drive that for the reasons said above.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile