EVGA

Helpful Reply3090 (Kingpin & others!) - Get that backside VRAM cool!

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 25 of 44
Author
Clovis559
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 563
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: 3090 (Kingpin) - Get that backside VRAM cool! Also: Thermal Pad size (backplate side)? 2021/04/29 09:18:46 (permalink)
Nisco3000
This seems to be on topic here.

NVIDIA, this is NOT ok! (Linus Tech Tips)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToTWaZtGOj8

I want one of those cameras!
LordSyrion
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 106
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: 3090 (Kingpin & others!) - Get that backside VRAM cool! 2021/04/29 10:19:58 (permalink)
That active cooling backplate for the them I hear is pretty nice, but $150.
Clovis559
SSC Member
Re: 3090 (Kingpin & others!) - Get that backside VRAM cool! 2021/04/29 10:21:40 (permalink)
LordSyrion
That active cooling backplate for the them I hear is pretty nice, but $150.

There isn't one yet for the Kingpin. There is the Mp5works, and there is the make your own.
I just got Nisco3000's pun 
Dabadger84
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3426
  • Ribbons : 10
Re: 3090 (Kingpin) - Get that backside VRAM cool! Also: Thermal Pad size (backplate side)? 2021/04/29 11:06:50 (permalink)
pcgamerv2
Dabadger84
Either way, overall I'd say it's a good purchase for those worried about memory temperatures etc, because that is a pretty gigantic difference, even with the backplate side cooling mods, this is (compared to running the AIO with the backplate pads/paste/heatsinks) :

GPU: -3.4C
GPU2: -5.6C
GPU Hot Spot wasn't available yet when I last ran the PR ST on the card with the AIO
Mem1: -9C
Mem2: -12.7C
Mem3: -9.6C
Mem Junction Temp: -10C
PWR1: -5.1C
PWR2: -2.1C
PWR3: -10.2C
PWR4: +4.1C --- So the two hotter VRMs are running cooler now, 
PWR5: +3.9C --- but the 2 formerly coolest ones are now hotter

Those results are pretty good for dropping memory temps which is exactly what I am after.

BTW did we decipher what all the ICX temps actually mean? Here's my understanding based on turning backplate fans on/off so please correct

GPU: GPU Temp
GPU 2: Rear GPU Temp
MEM1: Rear VRAM
MEM2: Rear VRAM
MEM3: Front VRAM
PWR1-5: All the front voltage regulators

Honestly I'm not sure anymore.  I think I previously guessed that based on the drop I saw on Memory 3 going from stock card with no changes to how it was before & after the block, is on the backplate side of the card for sure.  Not positive on the other two, and not even sure on that one.
The VRM/PWR numbers I think is from both VRMs & possibly the Memory VRM as well, because 2 of them are running hotter now vs with the regular heatsinks (which do a better job on 4 & 5).

Who knows, maybe the layout in eVGA Precision of where the sensor numbers are is semi accurate afterall.

Considering I started out at these temps pre-mods, I'd say the block is definitely a very nice upgrade, especially for memory temps, when done in combination with the backplate pads/cooling (left is bone stock, right is JUST doing heatsinks on the backplate near the VRAM/GPU die backside, no added pads or anything, and those heatsinks were just thermal taped on):

That's running Cyberpunk 2077 for about an hour, with everything maxed out, including RTX etc on Psycho, with DLSS on Quality, at 5120 x 1440 - I haven't run the game on the new setup yet, but I have a feeling the temps are going to be around about what I saw in Port Royal Stress test, maybe slightly warmer, so that means from stock Kingpin AIO no backplate mods to now we've seen (and keep in mind, the stock numbers there are with no memory OC & a core OC/undervolt as indicated, whereas the "now" numbers are at 2160MHz @ 1068mV with a +1000 Memory offset) :

GPU: -4.6C
GPU2: -8.6C
Mem1: -27.3C
Mem2: -26.8C
Mem3: -12.7C
Mem Junct Temp: -12C
PWR1: -7.9C
PWR2: -7.5C
PWR3: -18.5C
PWR4: -0.2C
PWR5: -1.1C

So for anyone holding out for dear life waiting on a KP HC to be sold from the factory with the block installed, it's definitely worth it imo when you're already dropping $2k on just the card.

Edited to remove wrong informations.
post edited by Dabadger84 - 2021/05/08 15:53:10

ModRigs: https://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=42891  
Specs:
5950x @ 4.7GHz 1.3V - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero - eVGA 1200W P2 - 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal Silver @ 3800 CL14
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC w/ Core: 2850MHz @ 1000mV, Mem: +1500MHz - Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Super-Ultrawide 240Hz Monitor

pcgamerv2
  • Total Posts : 45
Re: 3090 (Kingpin) - Get that backside VRAM cool! Also: Thermal Pad size (backplate side)? 2021/04/29 17:12:27 (permalink)
Ah man can't wait for all my parts to come in so I can finish my water cooled build. Those temps look very promising. My goal is to have completely silent build regardless of the overclocks (external MO-RA3 420 in a different room) and it will be my first water cooling pc in a decade. The block finally came in today as it was held up by customs and OH MY you weren't kidding when you said this thing is heavy! The acrylic thickness is freaking 12mm!! It's like a bullet proof glass mounted to thick slab of copper. 

I was reading the instructions and according to EVGA your flow is the recommended one. They say the other way is also acceptable so you're probably not missing much. The incorrect ones are hilarious.

Dabadger84
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: 3090 (Kingpin) - Get that backside VRAM cool! Also: Thermal Pad size (backplate side)? 2021/04/29 17:14:04 (permalink)
@Mech9t5 used your Rewards Code to register my HC block because yours is the first one I found, enjoy da free $2 in eVGA Buckarinos - uploaded invoice already 

I do wonder how much of a premium they'll charge for the HC Kingpin.  Guessing a similar gap to the other HCs, since the Kingpin's default cooler is pretty high end (compared to others, the copper heatsinks on the AIOed Kingpin are much, much better at cooling the VRMs than the other Hybrid cards in my experience).

Specs:
5950x @ 4.7GHz 1.3V - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero - eVGA 1200W P2 - 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal Silver @ 3800 CL14
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC w/ Core: 2850MHz @ 1000mV, Mem: +1500MHz - Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Super-Ultrawide 240Hz Monitor

Dabadger84
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: 3090 (Kingpin) - Get that backside VRAM cool! Also: Thermal Pad size (backplate side)? 2021/04/29 17:21:45 (permalink)
pcgamerv2
Ah man can't wait for all my parts to come in so I can finish my water cooled build. Those temps look very promising. My goal is to have completely silent build regardless of the overclocks (external MO-RA3 420 in a different room) and it will be my first water cooling pc in a decade. The block finally came in today as it was held up by customs and OH MY you weren't kidding when you said this thing is heavy! The acrylic thickness is freaking 12mm!! It's like a bullet proof glass mounted to thick slab of copper. 

I was reading the instructions and according to EVGA your flow is the recommended one. They say the other way is also acceptable so you're probably not missing much. The incorrect ones are hilarious.

What's stupid is, you legitimately CANNOT fit a fitting on the top port more towards the BIOS Switch, at least I couldn't fit the fittings I have - my card is setup as that diagram says for "recommended" - the arrows in the block literally point the other direction:

I'd really appreciate an official response from an eVGA person on this... is the guide wrong or is the block arrow's wrong? lol  Cuz mine is setup with the left (NVLink bridge side) port as top/inlet and the right (BIOS switch side) port as bottom/outlet because I couldn't fit the fitting on the top outlet side how I wanted to do it.

Like I know the guide and everything says it doesn't make a big difference, but if you look at how the block flow is, there's the nook there that the liquid pressure might get FUBARed by if that's the intake instead of the exhaust on that side; my card is like this:

Just looking at it, that has to have at least a tiny effect on flow.  I do want to see someone's temps with it flowing the other way with a similar loop to mine or a separate GPU loop.

Specs:

Clovis559
SSC Member
Re: 3090 (Kingpin) - Get that backside VRAM cool! Also: Thermal Pad size (backplate side)? 2021/04/29 18:13:51 (permalink)
Dabadger84
pcgamerv2

What's stupid is, you legitimately CANNOT fit a fitting on the top port more towards the BIOS Switch, at least I couldn't fit the fittings I have - my card is setup as that diagram says for "recommended" - the arrows in the block literally point the other direction:

I'd really appreciate an official response from an eVGA person on this... is the guide wrong or is the block arrow's wrong? lol  Cuz mine is setup with the left (NVLink bridge side) port as top/inlet and the right (BIOS switch side) port as bottom/outlet because I couldn't fit the fitting on the top outlet side how I wanted to do it.

Like I know the guide and everything says it doesn't make a big difference, but if you look at how the block flow is, there's the nook there that the liquid pressure might get FUBARed by if that's the intake instead of the exhaust on that side; my card is like this:

Just looking at it, that has to have at least a tiny effect on flow.  I do want to see someone's temps with it flowing the other way with a similar loop to mine or a separate GPU loop.

I can test mine if and when I get it. I’ll have quick disconnects so I’ll ne able to switch positions that simple.
talon951
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1026
Re: 3090 (Kingpin) - Get that backside VRAM cool! Also: Thermal Pad size (backplate side)? 2021/04/29 18:21:20 (permalink)
Dabadger84
pcgamerv2

I'm going to say it again, you're never going to know how the block is performing without a water temp sensor. :-)
Bluuhaku
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 105
Re: 3090 (Kingpin) - Get that backside VRAM cool! Also: Thermal Pad size (backplate side)? 2021/04/29 19:10:36 (permalink)
I'll take the easy shortcut and just slap a giant heatsink on my card lol. Nice guide!
gridironcpj
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 387
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: 3090 (Kingpin) - Get that backside VRAM cool! Also: Thermal Pad size (backplate side)? 2021/04/29 21:03:48 (permalink)
talon951
Dabadger84
pcgamerv2

I'm going to say it again, you're never going to know how the block is performing without a water temp sensor. :-)

Yup.  A waterblock's cooling performance is often measured by the difference between the relevant component temperature(s) and the fluid temperature.  Obviously the thermal interface material is going to have an impact on this difference as well.

GPU: RTX 3090 KINGPIN | CPU: R9 5950X 4.7GHz @ 1.21V | Memory: 32GB (2x16GB) 3733MT/s 14-14-14-28 1T | Mobo: Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | Storage: WD SN850 2TB & Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB| Primary Display: ROG PG27UQ 4K 144Hz HDR 1000 | Chassis: Phanteks Enthoo Elite | PSU: EVGA 1600 T2
Vanillagorila
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: 3090 (Kingpin) - Get that backside VRAM cool! Also: Thermal Pad size (backplate side)? 2021/04/29 21:28:41 (permalink)
When you’re talking about the direction of the arrows in the block are you talking about the four small triangles inside the block? If so wouldn’t you want to have the water hit the arrows/triangles at their point and not at their flat side? I mean the water is going to flow past them better if you hit the point.
Dabadger84
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: 3090 (Kingpin) - Get that backside VRAM cool! Also: Thermal Pad size (backplate side)? 2021/04/29 23:12:03 (permalink)
talon951

And I'm going to beat a dead horse in saying I don't have one lol What would that have to do with the block's performance?

Vanillagorila
When you’re talking about the direction of the arrows in the block are you talking about the four small triangles inside the block? If so wouldn’t you want to have the water hit the arrows/triangles at their point and not at their flat side? I mean the water is going to flow past them better if you hit the point.

See there's a different perspective - this whole time I've been assuming those are ARROWS to indicate what direction flow should be, when in reality, they may be things built in to the flow area of the block to help direct the flow & they aren't in fact arrows meant to indicate which direction the fluid is supposed to be going... but, the diagram picture I made with the arrows and the circled area, makes me question things, as to why the inlet side of the card would have a nook like that, unless that's going over the single VRAM chip that's by itself - I'm pretty sure it's not in the right position to be that.

Specs:

Clovis559
SSC Member
Re: 3090 (Kingpin) - Get that backside VRAM cool! Also: Thermal Pad size (backplate side)? 2021/04/29 23:16:49 (permalink)
Dabadger84
talon951

And I'm going to beat a dead horse in saying I don't have one lol What would that have to do with the block's performance?

Vanillagorila

See there's a different perspective - this whole time I've been assuming those are ARROWS to indicate what direction flow should be, when in reality, they may be things built in to the flow area of the block to help direct the flow & they aren't in fact arrows meant to indicate which direction the fluid is supposed to be going... but, the diagram picture I made with the arrows and the circled area, makes me question things, as to why the inlet side of the card would have a nook like that, unless that's going over the single VRAM chip that's by itself - I'm pretty sure it's not in the right position to be that.

Yeah their flow is weird :P It's like someone got drunk designing it and nobody questioned it :P
Sorry being kind of a Forum lurker today, nervous I might get a notify tomorrow :D
post edited by Clovis559 - 2021/04/29 23:18:35
talon951
FTW Member
Re: 3090 (Kingpin) - Get that backside VRAM cool! Also: Thermal Pad size (backplate side)? 2021/04/30 03:35:02 (permalink)
Dabadger84

Because what matters is the core to water delta (mem temps are a little less clear since the backplate cooling comes in to play obviously).  If you just compare temps with someone else without the water (and ambient) temp, then you don't really know which part of the system is performing better/worse.  The 2 deltas that matter are air to water and water to core.  First is obviously determined by the performance of your rads and the 2nd the gpu block.  
LordSyrion
Superclocked Member
Re: 3090 (Kingpin) - Get that backside VRAM cool! Also: Thermal Pad size (backplate side)? 2021/04/30 05:53:12 (permalink)
Did you use just the standard adhesive pads on those Pi heatsinks or something different?

Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4.8
32GB Corsair Vengeance 3600MHZ CL14 (14-16-16-32)
EVGA 3080 FTW3
ASUS Prime X570
1TB Samsung 980 Pro m.2 (OS)
4x 2TB Samsung 879 EVO
2x 4TB WD Black
ASUS ROG Strix 850W White PSU
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
B0baganoosh
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2369
  • Ribbons : 39
Re: 3090 (Kingpin) - Get that backside VRAM cool! Also: Thermal Pad size (backplate side)? 2021/04/30 06:17:55 (permalink)
Vanillagorila

This^

I tried to draw some rudimentary arrows to show how this could work with flow:

The arrows basically force the water to take something other than the "path of least resistance" that would exist if they weren't there. It essentially pushes some water away from the shortest path so there's turbulence over there and not just "dead water" that isn't really moving. I think it would work OK in the other direction, but you would really want the water to flow against the "points" of the triangles to be most effective.

Attached Image(s)

6Q6CPFHPBPCU691 is a discount code anyone can use.

i9 13900k - EVGA Z690 Classy - Nvidia RTX 4090 FE - G.Skill 32GB DDR5-6000  - WD SN850 2TB NVMe Gen4 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 12 1200W - Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 Pro. MO-RA3 420 Pro. Dark Palimpsest MODS RIGS post for build notes.
pcgamerv2
Re: 3090 (Kingpin) - Get that backside VRAM cool! Also: Thermal Pad size (backplate side)? 2021/04/30 07:07:51 (permalink)
Like other have said those are not arrows suggestion flow but rather to ensure there are no dead spots in the block where the water doesn't reach. A prism has high coefficient of drag next to a flat plane which could be why it is chosen as the shape. 

SKRYKER
  • Total Posts : 40
Re: 3090 (Kingpin) - Get that backside VRAM cool! Also: Thermal Pad size (backplate side)? 2021/04/30 07:20:29 (permalink)
Clovis559
SSC Member
Re: 3090 (Kingpin) - Get that backside VRAM cool! Also: Thermal Pad size (backplate side)? 2021/04/30 07:43:43 (permalink)
SKRYKER
water cooled backplates...

https://www.youtube.com/w...ToTWaZtGOj8&t=508s

Cool to see, sadly no numbers for us. I could be wrong but I think someone interested in this is an overclocker (gaming or benchmarker) which he covers none. Nice to see mining numbers even tho I don’t mine.
mech9t5
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1413
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: 3090 (Kingpin) - Get that backside VRAM cool! Also: Thermal Pad size (backplate side)? 2021/04/30 07:46:52 (permalink)
Dabadger84
@Mech9t5 used your Rewards Code to register my HC block because yours is the first one I found, enjoy da free $2 in eVGA Buckarinos - uploaded invoice already 

I do wonder how much of a premium they'll charge for the HC Kingpin.  Guessing a similar gap to the other HCs, since the Kingpin's default cooler is pretty high end (compared to others, the copper heatsinks on the AIOed Kingpin are much, much better at cooling the VRMs than the other Hybrid cards in my experience).

Thanks for using my Rewards Code!

Associate Code: P7JUX093GU7RID0

LordSyrion
Superclocked Member
Re: 3090 (Kingpin) - Get that backside VRAM cool! Also: Thermal Pad size (backplate side)? 2021/04/30 08:16:35 (permalink)
Look at that, bringing drag coefficients from Nasa into the mix. love it.

Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4.8
32GB Corsair Vengeance 3600MHZ CL14 (14-16-16-32)
EVGA 3080 FTW3
ASUS Prime X570
1TB Samsung 980 Pro m.2 (OS)
4x 2TB Samsung 879 EVO
2x 4TB WD Black
ASUS ROG Strix 850W White PSU
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
pclausen
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 197
Re: 3090 (Kingpin) - Get that backside VRAM cool! Also: Thermal Pad size (backplate side)? 2021/04/30 08:16:50 (permalink)
Got my KP block installed this morning and I do have a temp probe.

Rad fans @ 1100 rpm: 
GPU temp 44C
Water temp 36C
Ambient 25C

Rad fans @ 1900 rpm:
GPU temp 38C
Water temp 31C
Ambient 25C

My flow is recommended direction from the manual.

Above temps is when mining ETH, so not super GPU intensive.  I'll try PR when I get a chance.
post edited by pclausen - 2021/04/30 08:24:17
Clovis559
SSC Member
Re: 3090 (Kingpin) - Get that backside VRAM cool! Also: Thermal Pad size (backplate side)? 2021/04/30 08:27:54 (permalink)
pclausen

Rad fans @ 1100 rpm: 
GPU temp 44C
Water temp 36C
Ambient 25C

Rad fans @ 1900 rpm:
GPU temp 38C
Water temp 31C
Ambient 25C

Above temps is when mining ETH, so not super GPU intensive.  I'll try PR when I get a chance.

Do you have before to compare to? :) omg what an exciting day in your house.
pcgamerv2
Re: 3090 (Kingpin) - Get that backside VRAM cool! Also: Thermal Pad size (backplate side)? 2021/04/30 08:31:13 (permalink)
pclausen

Rad fans @ 1100 rpm: 
GPU temp 44C
Water temp 36C
Ambient 25C

Rad fans @ 1900 rpm:
GPU temp 38C
Water temp 31C
Ambient 25C

Please post the mem temps as well! That's the most important number when it comes to mining. 
pclausen
Superclocked Member
Re: 3090 (Kingpin) - Get that backside VRAM cool! Also: Thermal Pad size (backplate side)? 2021/04/30 08:47:05 (permalink)
Here you go:

Before:

post edited by pclausen - 2021/04/30 09:23:46
talon951
FTW Member
Re: 3090 (Kingpin) - Get that backside VRAM cool! Also: Thermal Pad size (backplate side)? 2021/04/30 09:00:10 (permalink)
pclausen
Here you go:

No additional backplate cooling? What hashrate?
pclausen
Superclocked Member
Re: 3090 (Kingpin) - Get that backside VRAM cool! Also: Thermal Pad size (backplate side)? 2021/04/30 09:04:47 (permalink)
122 MH/s and yes, I do have 4 heatsinks with a fan on the backplate.  Here's a pic:

post edited by pclausen - 2021/04/30 09:14:08
pcgamerv2
Re: 3090 (Kingpin) - Get that backside VRAM cool! Also: Thermal Pad size (backplate side)? 2021/04/30 10:15:32 (permalink)
Considering you have a simple heat sink cooling on the backplate those temps are even more impressive. Thanks for sharing.
mech9t5
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1413
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: 3090 (Kingpin) - Get that backside VRAM cool! Also: Thermal Pad size (backplate side)? 2021/04/30 10:25:27 (permalink)
pclausen
122 MH/s and yes, I do have 4 heatsinks with a fan on the backplate.  Here's a pic:

Out of curiosity, what coolant are you using?

Associate Code: P7JUX093GU7RID0

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 25 of 44
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile