Author
Asryan
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 337
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/06/25 08:31:27 (permalink)
Hi
I have a 2080 ti FTW3 Ultra and i was wondering about which fans cools down which part. Memory, gpu, power.

I read on the forum forum that fan 2 was the MEM one but in hwinfo it's noted that it's fan 3 for MEM and Fan 2 for power.

to set up a good curve for cooling and noise i'd like to be sure of it :)

Thanks

Asus Maximus Hero XI Z390 /  i7 9900k 5ghz
GPU : GTX 2080 TI EVGA FTW3
Ram : 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z RGB / 3466Mhz
PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra 100
Watercooling : Arctic Liquid Freezer 360
Monitor : Lg 38GN950

3 Replies Related Threads

DeadlyMercury
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 422
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 Ultra - Fans? 2020/06/25 09:30:52 (permalink)
    tl;dr: every fan cools everything.

You have a huge single piece gpu radiator plus huge metal plate that lay down on memory and vrm: this plate is cooled with fans plus it has several contact points with radiator.

So your gpu heat spreadeds across whole radiator because of heat pipes. You can't say that this part of radiator under first fan is for gpu, 2nd part under 2nd fan is for mem and 3rd part is for vrm. All three fans cools down radiator that attached to gpu and plate and all three of them blowing air at metal plate that attached to memory and vrm plus some heat transferred from that plate to radiator itself. By cooling some part of radiator or some part of plate you don't cool some exact component - you just cool radiator and plate as whole thing, but with low airflow. To cool down components separately you need three separate radiators which you don't have here.

Of course heat spread across the plate is not ideal and you have hotter plate above vrm - but the point is that even your 1st fan (which is near I/O shield) is affecting vrm temps through radiator and plate temperature and through air flow it creates across the board.
    And for better accoustic you should set your rpm to even, in other cases they could have really loud and annoying harmonics.

Same goes for notebook heatpipes, here you can say that you have fan1 for cpu and fan2 for gpu:

But here - you can't say that: both cpu and gpu connected to single heatpipe and that pipe is cooled down with 2 fans, not "fan1 for cpu and fan2 for gpu" thing:

post edited by DeadlyMercury - 2020/06/25 09:40:42

"An original idea. That can't be too hard. The library must be full of them."
    Stephen Fry
    AHowes
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6681
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 Ultra - Fans? 2020/06/25 10:16:21 (permalink)
    Was fun back when to make a fan profile for all 3 fans to get them all kicking in high gear during gaming. Ya want them all working to help that gpu to cool the best it can.

Would be nice if all fans could be synced to the GPU temp. Thought that feature was their but never seemed to work back when.

I had to set the fan 2 and fan 3 to kick in when the mem and power temps are high during gaming.

Though much easier to just hit 100% on all fans and then start the game hehe.. but still a hassel.

Anyways.. get the fans moving early right when the temp starts to climb. No point in trying to cool the gpu when it's too late and hitting 70-80c.

So whatever the idle temp is keep it at like 50% fans.. then when it jumps to 5-10c higher max the fans to what you can bare.

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
    Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
    G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
    EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
    34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
    Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: 2080 ti FTW3 Ultra - Fans? 2020/06/25 11:34:33 (permalink)
    Asryan
    Hi
    I have a 2080 ti FTW3 Ultra and i was wondering about which fans cools down which part. Memory, gpu, power.

I read on the forum forum that fan 2 was the MEM one but in hwinfo it's noted that it's fan 3 for MEM and Fan 2 for power.

to set up a good curve for cooling and noise i'd like to be sure of it :)

Thanks

Watch the Video ... around 1min 40 sec

https://www.evga.com/technology/icx2/

Image on the Product page 1/2 way down

GPU fan - one closest to the video output end

other two fans = power & memory temps controled

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile