Supernova 1200 P2 DIED and EVGA not following EU laws for warranty

Author
RizarD
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/02/11 05:51:09 (permalink)
Hello !

On november 4 2019, I bought online, second hand, the psu in subject. It was originally bought on January 7 2018 from Amazon(Italy) by the original owner.

On January 30 2020 the psu suddenly died on me. It shut down itself and never powered on again. I contacted the original owner and asked for the invoice from Amazon, just to check if the psu was still on warranty. Guess what ? It was out of warranty just from two weeks before january 30.  Well, on the psu box is clear stated that the product has TEN (10) years of warranty, so I jumped on EVGA site to open a ticket for support. The psu was not registered so i did it, uploaded the invoice from the original user and opened a Ticket.

The first answer from the support was: You are a business user, you registered the product after 30 days from the date of purchase, so you do not have the right to ask for support.

Well, I'm clearly not a business user, I'm a second hand buyer, I have the transaction from paypal that can prove it(they never asked it).

Now, after some ANNOYNG arguing, someone on the support understood the real situation and is stating that, because I am a second hand owner, the product has 3 year of limited support, and the support starts from the day they shipped it to the reseller(Amazon Italy). And it was 23 November 2017 !

And this is clearly! And against EU laws.

In Italy (EU) the warranty follows the object, not the owner, and it starts the day it was sold the first time to the end user. NOT when it was shipped from the producer.

IF YOU SELL ON EU COUNTRIES, YOU MUST COMPLY TO EU LAWS ! IF YOU GO BIG ON TEN YEAR WARRANTY, THEN YOU MUST RESPECT WHAT YOUR ARE CLAIMING !

This is not accepted from EVGA support that still insists on their lines.

So, what about the 10 years warranty ?

What if the product was unsold for i.e. 3 or 5 years ? If I bought a product unsold from years, how many years is then the warranty ?

Now, ten days are gone from the opening of the ticket, and following what EVGA says, the product is on limited support until november 2020. Just 10 months residual... one year STOLEN from EVGA.

Suggestions ?
post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2020/02/11 06:40:23

5 Replies Related Threads

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Supernova 1200 P2 DIED and EVGA not following EU laws for warranty 2020/02/11 06:47:18 (permalink)
    Hi RizarD,

I am not from the EU, and do not know EU Law, but I assure you EVGA follows the law.  

https://eu.evga.com/warranty/power-supplies/

The 10 year warranty is strictly tied to the original owner, if the original owner registered the product.  The 10 year warranty does not follow a sale of an item, only the standard warranty follows the product.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/italy/index_en.htm

Are these the correct laws?  

If the seller sold you a product that was known to be faulty, you may be able to get them to assist you.  I would suggest speaking with them, or speak with Amazon, as they were the sellers initially.  
    RizarD
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Supernova 1200 P2 DIED and EVGA not following EU laws for warranty 2020/02/11 08:05:43 (permalink)
    The original owner never registered the product, I did it.

And did it only to get support. Otherwise, if the original owner had registered the product, I was talking to him, not to evga support.

If only I knew was this hellish to get support, I've asked the orginal owner to register the product and to get support.

But HERE, once you pay and buy a product, the product is yours and I'ts on you to solve a problem.

these are the right laws in case you buy  a product from a reseller, it's not my case.

Btw, I'm arguing not only on the 10 years warranty. The product is barely two year old. I'm arguing on the fact that EVGA count the limited warranty of 3 years(that I would like to accept)  from the day they shipped the product to amazon.

I have not bought the product from amazon, I bought it second hand from a person who bought the product from amazon.

What evga(ok the person actually "supporting me") says, does not apply to this.

It can't apply.

Here in EU, does not count the owner, count the product and the warranty that the producer/reseller claims to apply to it.

EVGA is the producer, and claims tho give 10 years of warranty. Amazon is the reseller, and claims, as per EU laws, to give 2 years of waranty.

Btw, I'm going to accept the limited warranty of 3 years, that ends on november 2020, once I get it RMA i resell it immediately. I'm sick and bored of this kind of selling policy.
    post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2020/02/11 08:11:36
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Supernova 1200 P2 DIED and EVGA not following EU laws for warranty 2020/02/11 08:16:52 (permalink)
    You are not the original owner no matter. The original warranty only applies to the original owner, and even the eu laws for Italy state that above, which is why I wanted to verify if they are the correct laws.

The sale date does not change the manufacturing date.

The 10 year warranty is only for the original owner when they register the product within a specific time period as applied by the warranty terms. You have already stated you purchased it used, and the original owner would not be able to register it at this point.

Again, you need to contact the original owner, as you may have protections through them or through PayPal or maybe even your credit card. I can only read the law directly for what it states, not by opinion, and it shows that EVGA is abiding by the law unless there is something I may have missed. If so, please quote the exact law and provide a link to it.
    post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2020/02/11 08:18:56
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Supernova 1200 P2 DIED and EVGA not following EU laws for warranty 2020/02/11 08:18:21 (permalink)
    Its always upsetting when hardware fails, warranties have terms that the Mfg publish

EVGA has Clearly published all terms in the Warranty section & by region of the World: https://www.evga.com/warranty/

In the EU:  https://eu.evga.com/warranty/power-supplies/

You would have to request a supervisor if the first level Customer Service rep could not answer your question(s)

I am not an EU lawyer or an EVGA employee ... so, I'm not going to say your point of view has merit or not

This Forum is Mostly Volunteers - only EVGA can resolve or explain this

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

sparetimepc
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2413
    • Ribbons : 27
    Re: Supernova 1200 P2 DIED and EVGA not following EU laws for warranty 2020/02/12 04:54:14 (permalink)
    RizarD
    Hello !

On november 4 2019, I bought online, second hand, the psu in subject. It was originally bought on January 7 2018 from Amazon(Italy) by the original owner.

On January 30 2020 the psu suddenly died on me. It shut down itself and never powered on again. I contacted the original owner and asked for the invoice from Amazon, just to check if the psu was still on warranty. Guess what ? It was out of warranty just from two weeks before january 30.  Well, on the psu box is clear stated that the product has TEN (10) years of warranty, so I jumped on EVGA site to open a ticket for support. The psu was not registered so i did it, uploaded the invoice from the original user and opened a Ticket.

The first answer from the support was: You are a business user, you registered the product after 30 days from the date of purchase, so you do not have the right to ask for support.

Well, I'm clearly not a business user, I'm a second hand buyer, I have the transaction from paypal that can prove it(they never asked it).

Now, after some ANNOYNG arguing, someone on the support understood the real situation and is stating that, because I am a second hand owner, the product has 3 year of limited support, and the support starts from the day they shipped it to the reseller(Amazon Italy). And it was 23 November 2017 !

And this is clearly! And against EU laws.

In Italy (EU) the warranty follows the object, not the owner, and it starts the day it was sold the first time to the end user. NOT when it was shipped from the producer.

IF YOU SELL ON EU COUNTRIES, YOU MUST COMPLY TO EU LAWS ! IF YOU GO BIG ON TEN YEAR WARRANTY, THEN YOU MUST RESPECT WHAT YOUR ARE CLAIMING !

This is not accepted from EVGA support that still insists on their lines.

So, what about the 10 years warranty ?

What if the product was unsold for i.e. 3 or 5 years ? If I bought a product unsold from years, how many years is then the warranty ?

Now, ten days are gone from the opening of the ticket, and following what EVGA says, the product is on limited support until november 2020. Just 10 months residual... one year STOLEN from EVGA.

Suggestions ?

It seems to me if you are the original buyer and upload your invoice within the 30 days you will have the full warranty from your purchase date not the original ship date, if you are not the original buyer then warranty is going to be from the manufacturer ship date. But that being said, what do they consider limited support and what are they offering to do if anything? 
    post edited by sparetimepc - 2020/02/12 04:57:42

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile