EVGA

is there a diagnostic check for this motherboard?

Author
krane
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5067
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 15
2019/11/30 18:30:08 (permalink)
Is there a way to run a diagnostic check for this motherboard? I tested every other part in my sons rig in another rig and all are working fine. It's the craziest thing.... it seems sometimes he plugs his headphone in the front panel jack and his keyboard stops working.  I tried to re-create it and I can't. So now and then it happens.  He has an EVGA x299 micro mb, an EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3 gpu, EVGA 1000G2 ps, 64gb G.SKILLF4-3200C16D32GVR ram(16-18-18-38 1.35v). I have it on my dining room table with an EVGA GTX 970 and I can not re-create the problem. I have given him the rig back and it works for a short time (maybe a week) and it happens again. I am lost.  Thanks for any ideas.
krane
post edited by krane - 2020/02/22 19:18:49

i7 7800X | EVGA x299 micro |Corsair H100i | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB
| EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING |Tosiba OCZ-TR150 ssd| EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5 PS  | Win 11 pro 64-bit | Corsair Obsidian 350D
Affiliate Code: PPZ-BV2-N9LE
"When it stops being fun,  it's no longer a game"
Heatware 

15 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: is there a diagnostic check for this motherboard? 2019/11/30 19:15:59 (permalink)
    I'd be suspect of the - Case's front panel jack

Is it possible to plug head phones into MB directly ... might need an extension

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

solarbirdy
    • Total Posts : 13
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: is there a diagnostic check for this motherboard? 2019/11/30 19:20:10 (permalink)
    Ideas, or, really, questions:

1: Is the keyboard in a front panel USB connection? If so: try a back connection, see if it still happens. If it doesn't, check all front panel connections to the motherboard, including all sets of USB headers.

Basically, I'm wondering about grounding issues on the case's front panel, particularly since it happens in response to a physical action - plugging in the headset. The Obsidian 350D's front panel looks pretty accessible, you might check for cable and/or connector issues. I kind of suspect you're either putting signal (or impedance or just anything, leaking from the headset) onto the USB's ground line. Or something.

2: When the keyboard quits, does it stay quit, or is it momentary or for only a few minutes? What makes it start working again? Does unplugging it and plugging it back in (and hence creating a new USB device connect) make it work again right away? Or do you have to power cycle?

3: Just to sanity check: the audio block is HD Audio and not '97, right?

EVGA X299 FTW K with 7280X | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 | Gigabyte RTX Gaming Windforce 2070 Super OC 3X 8G | Mastercase MC500 | Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR 3200Mhz | Corsair RM750x | Windows 10 64-bit | unrepentant console plebe doubletiming everyone | not new to building PCs (lol) but very new to OC
    krane
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: is there a diagnostic check for this motherboard? 2019/12/01 05:26:40 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    I'd be suspect of the - Case's front panel jack

Is it possible to plug head phones into MB directly ... might need an extension

I thought about the front panel, I'll look into that today.

| EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING |Tosiba OCZ-TR150 ssd| EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5 PS  | Win 11 pro 64-bit | Corsair Obsidian 350D
    Heatware 

krane
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: is there a diagnostic check for this motherboard? 2019/12/01 05:32:12 (permalink)
    solarbirdy
    Ideas, or, really, questions:

1: Is the keyboard in a front panel USB connection? If so: try a back connection, see if it still happens. If it doesn't, check all front panel connections to the motherboard, including all sets of USB headers.

Basically, I'm wondering about grounding issues on the case's front panel, particularly since it happens in response to physical action - plugging in the headset. The Obsidian 350D's front panel looks pretty accessible, you might check for cable and/or connector issues. I kind of suspect you're either putting signal (or impedance or just anything, leaking from the headset) onto the USB's ground line. Or something.

2: When the keyboard quits, does it stay quit, or is it momentary or for only a few minutes? What makes it start working again? Does unplugging it and plugging it back in (and hence creating a new USB device connect) make it work again right away? Or do you have to power cycle?

3: Just to sanity check: the audio block is HD Audio and not '97, right?

I am going to check the front panel today, maybe one of the cables from the front panel is shorting against a metal part, who knows.

Heatware 

krane
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: is there a diagnostic check for this motherboard? 2020/02/22 19:05:58 (permalink)
    Okay, Corsair gave me a new front panel for my sons case (for free I might add) and I install it. Not sure what happened now, but I can't get the LAN to work.  Fortunately this motherboard has WIFI so I am able to download some drivers.  I am still unable to get the LAN to work and believe me I have tried everything.  I updated the BIOS (x299 Micro ATX 1.23) This is crazy. I have 2 of these boards and the other works like a charm, not one problem, but this one is a killer. If any one has any idea what I can do PLEASE let me know. This is my last ditch effort before RMA.  Thanks guys.

Heatware 

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: is there a diagnostic check for this motherboard? 2020/02/22 23:32:23 (permalink)
    I guess the most obvious thing would be to see if the Intel LAN Port is enabled in the BIOS..And then check in Windows Device Manager -> Network adapters and see if it's enabled there or banged with an issue..Might wanna right-click it in Device Manager and uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power in Properties -> Power Management.

Type Troubleshoot in the Windows search box and then there's troubleshooters to run for Network Adapter and Internet Connections.

There's also Speed and Activity LEDs on the Intel Port as shown on page 14 of your mobo manual.

What to do if the NUC's Local Area Network (LAN) port is not working (for some ideas)

Latest Intel Drivers & Software (way more updated than from EVGA)

Intel Driver & Support Assistant (to automatically check for updated drivers)

That's all..Good luck.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

krane
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: is there a diagnostic check for this motherboard? 2020/02/23 07:48:26 (permalink)
    bob16314

I guess the most obvious thing would be to see if the Intel LAN Port is enabled in the BIOS..And then check in Windows Device Manager -> Network adapters and see if it's enabled there or banged with an issue..Might wanna right-click it in Device Manager and uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power in Properties -> Power Management.

Type Troubleshoot in the Windows search box and then there's troubleshooters to run for Network Adapter and Internet Connections.

There's also Speed and Activity LEDs on the Intel Port as shown on page 14 of your mobo manual.

What to do if the NUC's Local Area Network (LAN) port is not working (for some ideas)

That's all..Good luck.

-I checked the BIOS when I updated it and it was enabled. 
    -I went into Device Manager > Network adapters and there was a yellow warning so I tried to update driver from there first to no avail...so I moved on.
    -I unchecked the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power in the properties like you stated ...still no go.
    -There were no activity LEDs on the Intel port which was my first indication there was a problem.
    -I downloaded the Intel Driver & Support Assistant  and I found a few downloads that I was missing (so not a total loss) , but the download for the (2) 1219-V connection kept failing... so I moved on.
    -So after many restarts and shutdowns, it was almost midnight so I gave up for the night.
    -So this morning I braced myself for another round of ****, I turned on the computer and the LAN is working, I don't know what or why or maybe a combination of all, your guess is as good as mine. I wish I knew why it happened in the first place.

Now I am going to wait a few days to see if I still have the original problem from the start of this thread.

Thanks bob16314, I have a feeling between what you posted here and what I tried, one of them kicked in (I just wish I knew which)

krane

Heatware 

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: is there a diagnostic check for this motherboard? 2020/02/23 15:42:27 (permalink)
    Whatever fixed it, hopefully it stays fixed now.

Since it's working, it would be a good time to update the driver from Intel.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

krane
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: is there a diagnostic check for this motherboard? 2020/02/23 16:07:00 (permalink)
    bob16314
    Whatever fixed it, hopefully it stays fixed now.

Since it's working, it would be a good time to update the driver from Intel.

I updated everything possible, well I think I did. Thanks again.

Heatware 

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: is there a diagnostic check for this motherboard? 2020/02/23 16:23:35 (permalink)
    No problemo..Good luck.

yuanyasmine
    • Total Posts : 17
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: is there a diagnostic check for this motherboard? 2020/02/23 17:39:59 (permalink)
    There are some programs you could run.  I've used both to test systems.
    1. Ultimate Boot CD
    2. Hiren's BootCD
    krane
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: is there a diagnostic check for this motherboard? 2020/06/10 15:43:00 (permalink)
    Okay, I have an update.  I got a new front panel and harness from Corsair free of charge when I told them of the problem I was having.  I changed it and all was well......for a week and bang happened again only this time it shut down and would not re-post. I cleared and wiped everything out, then did a fresh reinstall of Windows.  Again all was well for almost a week and again it happened.
    Soooo, after all the time I went through to try to remedy this problem I contacted EVGA for an RMA of the motherboard being I had 163 days left on my warranty. They asked for pictures of the CPU socket, I gave them 3 0r 4 clear pictures. I did all the bells and whistles asked of me.  I waited for maybe 2 days, not really long.  As it turns out although my motherboard warranty states I have 163 days left, It really has no warranty.  Apparently my motherboard was either a review board or a prize board before I purchased it (secondhand) Which would have been fine if when I registered it had it stated "This board is a freak board and could not be registered because it was part of a freak show" Then when it stopped working I would have used it for a frisbee or slingshot practice and not tried to RMA it.  It did not state that it stated that there were 163 days left. Sorry for the rant, I just needed to vent.  I purchased another board (EVGA of course) but this time new.
    Thanks for listening,
    krane

Heatware 

wmmills
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5679
    • Ribbons : 40
    Re: is there a diagnostic check for this motherboard? 2020/06/11 07:58:44 (permalink)
    krane
    bob16314

That's all..Good luck.

-I checked the BIOS when I updated it and it was enabled. 
    -I went into Device Manager > Network adapters and there was a yellow warning so I tried to update driver from there first to no avail...so I moved on.
    -I unchecked the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power in the properties like you stated ...still no go.
    -There were no activity LEDs on the Intel port which was my first indication there was a problem.
    -I downloaded the Intel Driver & Support Assistant  and I found a few downloads that I was missing (so not a total loss) , but the download for the (2) 1219-V connection kept failing... so I moved on.
    -So after many restarts and shutdowns, it was almost midnight so I gave up for the night.
    -So this morning I braced myself for another round of ****, I turned on the computer and the LAN is working, I don't know what or why or maybe a combination of all, your guess is as good as mine. I wish I knew why it happened in the first place.

Now I am going to wait a few days to see if I still have the original problem from the start of this thread.

Thanks bob16314, I have a feeling between what you posted here and what I tried, one of them kicked in (I just wish I knew which)

krane

Yeah, thats always a awesome feeling when you give up and go to bed and wake up the next day, get your coffee and your happy and then walk in the room and stare at the problem monster. Man, i can sympathize with you on that,not fun. Glad you got it worked out though Krane.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
    http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
     Help Our Vets From K-2!
    [link=https://strongholdfreedom
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: is there a diagnostic check for this motherboard? 2020/06/11 08:30:31 (permalink)
    krane
    Okay, I have an update.  I got a new front panel and harness from Corsair free of charge when I told them of the problem I was having.  I changed it and all was well......for a week and bang happened again only this time it shut down and would not re-post. I cleared and wiped everything out, then did a fresh reinstall of Windows.  Again all was well for almost a week and again it happened.
    Soooo, after all the time I went through to try to remedy this problem I contacted EVGA for an RMA of the motherboard being I had 163 days left on my warranty. They asked for pictures of the CPU socket, I gave them 3 0r 4 clear pictures. I did all the bells and whistles asked of me.  I waited for maybe 2 days, not really long.  As it turns out although my motherboard warranty states I have 163 days left, It really has no warranty.  Apparently my motherboard was either a review board or a prize board before I purchased it (secondhand) Which would have been fine if when I registered it had it stated "This board is a freak board and could not be registered because it was part of a freak show" Then when it stopped working I would have used it for a frisbee or slingshot practice and not tried to RMA it.  It did not state that it stated that there were 163 days left. Sorry for the rant, I just needed to vent.  I purchased another board (EVGA of course) but this time new.
    Thanks for listening,
    krane

Dang .. not good ... I'm guessing bad solder somewhere ... because replacing the different connections to the case failed to be a permanent fix

Yes - the terms do state that not all products have a transferable warranty .. for many reasons ... it is in the details

I never know if the seller is unaware or just does not care .... to tell the buyer

That is a Good Idea -- that registration by serial number Show this import detail --> Complaints and Suggestions

One can hope if you call to confirm warranty before purchase.... someone catches this import fact .. if warranty is impacted

Your New MB is the same model ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: is there a diagnostic check for this motherboard? 2020/06/11 09:27:42 (permalink)
    PCIe x1 Network Cards 10/100/1000Mbps RJ45 LAN Adapters.

PCIe x1 interface is backwards compatible and will fit/work in PCIe slots up to x16.

Food for thought if you have a free slot.

But I guess it don't matter if the mobo is junk now.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile