EVGA

PSU damaged by CLC that was damaged by motherboard fire

Author
Tallyn82
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2019/03/23 04:45:08 (permalink)
Hello I've been an EVGA customer and member for some years now but this is in fact my first post.

In October of last year I had very unfortunate incident that fortunately I happened to be sitting right at my computer when it happened. My EVGA z370 FTW motherboard caught on fire and started shooting sparks as well as fire out of and around of the 24 pin power connection. I stood up reach behind my DG 77 case and turned off the power supply as well as unplugging it as quickly as possible. At the time I happened to have the side glass panel off because I was working on a mod for the way it mounts in order to give me more breathing room for my upright 1080 TI. It was quite a magnificent sight to be seen like a miniature Roman candle shooting off another 12 - 16 inch burst of flame aboutt every 1.5 seconds... It was quite traumatizing and I have not had my blood pressure nor my heart racing that hard in a very long time if ever what seemingly lasted about 10 seconds felt like an eternity.

All around the 24 pin as well as under it was quite chard and the PCB layers we're separating on the side at this point as well. The fire had melted the cables on the 24 pin power supply as well as deposited quite a bit of black soot on the underside of the case, three of the 120 mm Corsair LL RGB fans and the hoses on the EVGA CLC 240. The CLC 240 also had a problem that the RGB color was stuck on purple and the flow control software would not function no matter what I can do to change the pump speeds or anything it just ran at a default speed and the RGB light on it remained purple.

Once I gathered myself I immediately called EVGA told them what happened and started the RMA process. At the time not installed I also had an EVGA 1080 SC that I had bought from b-stock sale at the same time I got my power supply that arrived faulty never going over 405 megahertz. I also told them about that at this time since I have been putting it off to RMA it for a couple of months... The computer was completely assembled right around Halloween October 2018. They had me send in:

EVGA z370 FTW - New from EVGA -
September 2018
EVGA 850 B3 PSU - refurb B-stock - October
EVGA CLC 240 - won via EVGA gaming
event - July 2018
EVGA GTX 1080 SC - refurb B-stock sale -
October 2018

What I got back:

EVGA z370 FTW refurbished unit ( the
second nvme socket is faulty and does
not receive a signal but I kept it anyway
as I only have one nvme drive installed )
EVGA 850 B3 PSU - New Unit
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 DT - New Unit
**EVGA CLC 240 was sent back as is due to me not including the fans that came with the CLC 240.**

EVGA did trying to get ahold of me for about a week regarding the issue with the CLC but I was extremely ill at the time in the hospital with a very bad respiratory illness for about 10 days.

When I got home from being in the hospital everything was there except the returned CLC which arrived a few days later. I was extremely pleased with the process in what EVGA honored and exchanges besides the CLC of course and just being tired and overwhelmed I decided to keep the CLC for another project as it still functioned just was not programmable or able to change the light.

*TLDR*

So here we are at the point of this whole entire question and my story. The CLC 240 was finally brought out of its original packaging and put in a build that I put together to sell just a few weeks ago in February 2019. The CLC did have some bent and scuffed fins on the radiator that I did remember after removing it from my case from the fire incident but did not seem to impede performance as it was minut. well the damage on the radiator was more substantial than they looked to the eye because there was in fact a pin hole size leak that was not exposed until it was pressured up subsequently killing the EVGA 1000 G3 PSU that was in it. This power supply and CLC were installed in a Corsair 760d case that did not have a power supply shroud and the leak was able to get to the power supply internals overnight when the computer was left downloading an entire list of steam games. I quickly went to BestBuy where I had purchased the 1000 G3 to begin with and tried to exchange it but they would not as I was 5 days over the return. Which caused me to buy a new power supply at the time and just now getting to trying to deal with my broken one.. as well as my CLC.

So that's my question will I be able to get my EVGA 1000 G3 PSU RMA'd due to water damage caused by my EVGA CLC 240 that was leaking which was previously involved in a mother board spontaneous fire incident... And also get my EVGA CLC 240 finally RMA'd as it was previously going to be but like I said earlier it was sent back because I did not include the fans.

Thank you for your time
Tallyn

2 Replies Related Threads

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: PSU damaged by CLC that was damaged by motherboard fire 2019/03/23 05:01:59 (permalink)
    Tallyn82
    Spoiler
    Hello I've been an EVGA customer and member for some years now but this is in fact my first post.

In October of last year I had very unfortunate incident that fortunately I happened to be sitting right at my computer when it happened. My EVGA z370 FTW motherboard caught on fire and started shooting sparks as well as fire out of and around of the 24 pin power connection. I stood up reach behind my DG 77 case and turned off the power supply as well as unplugging it as quickly as possible. At the time I happened to have the side glass panel off because I was working on a mod for the way it mounts in order to give me more breathing room for my upright 1080 TI. It was quite a magnificent sight to be seen like a miniature Roman candle shooting off another 12 - 16 inch burst of flame aboutt every 1.5 seconds... It was quite traumatizing and I have not had my blood pressure nor my heart racing that hard in a very long time if ever what seemingly lasted about 10 seconds felt like an eternity.

All around the 24 pin as well as under it was quite chard and the PCB layers we're separating on the side at this point as well. The fire had melted the cables on the 24 pin power supply as well as deposited quite a bit of black soot on the underside of the case, three of the 120 mm Corsair LL RGB fans and the hoses on the EVGA CLC 240. The CLC 240 also had a problem that the RGB color was stuck on purple and the flow control software would not function no matter what I can do to change the pump speeds or anything it just ran at a default speed and the RGB light on it remained purple.

Once I gathered myself I immediately called EVGA told them what happened and started the RMA process. At the time not installed I also had an EVGA 1080 SC that I had bought from b-stock sale at the same time I got my power supply that arrived faulty never going over 405 megahertz. I also told them about that at this time since I have been putting it off to RMA it for a couple of months... The computer was completely assembled right around Halloween October 2018. They had me send in:

EVGA z370 FTW - New from EVGA -
    September 2018
    EVGA 850 B3 PSU - refurb B-stock - October
    EVGA CLC 240 - won via EVGA gaming
    event - July 2018
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC - refurb B-stock sale -
    October 2018

What I got back:

EVGA z370 FTW refurbished unit ( the
    second nvme socket is faulty and does
    not receive a signal but I kept it anyway
    as I only have one nvme drive installed )
    EVGA 850 B3 PSU - New Unit
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 DT - New Unit
    **EVGA CLC 240 was sent back as is due to me not including the fans that came with the CLC 240.**

EVGA did trying to get ahold of me for about a week regarding the issue with the CLC but I was extremely ill at the time in the hospital with a very bad respiratory illness for about 10 days.

When I got home from being in the hospital everything was there except the returned CLC which arrived a few days later. I was extremely pleased with the process in what EVGA honored and exchanges besides the CLC of course and just being tired and overwhelmed I decided to keep the CLC for another project as it still functioned just was not programmable or able to change the light.

*TLDR*

So here we are at the point of this whole entire question and my story. The CLC 240 was finally brought out of its original packaging and put in a build that I put together to sell just a few weeks ago in February 2019. The CLC did have some bent and scuffed fins on the radiator that I did remember after removing it from my case from the fire incident but did not seem to impede performance as it was minut. well the damage on the radiator was more substantial than they looked to the eye because there was in fact a pin hole size leak that was not exposed until it was pressured up subsequently killing the EVGA 1000 G3 PSU that was in it. This power supply and CLC were installed in a Corsair 760d case that did not have a power supply shroud and the leak was able to get to the power supply internals overnight when the computer was left downloading an entire list of steam games. I quickly went to BestBuy where I had purchased the 1000 G3 to begin with and tried to exchange it but they would not as I was 5 days over the return. Which caused me to buy a new power supply at the time and just now getting to trying to deal with my broken one.. as well as my CLC.

So that's my question will I be able to get my EVGA 1000 G3 PSU RMA'd due to water damage caused by my EVGA CLC 240 that was leaking which was previously involved in a mother board spontaneous fire incident... And also get my EVGA CLC 240 finally RMA'd as it was previously going to be but like I said earlier it was sent back because I did not include the fans.
    close

Thank you for your time
    Tallyn

You really need to contact EVGA directly. All of this is an extremely unique situation. Only evga will be able to answer your questions.

Support@evga.com or use the “my products” tab, and send in a ticket explaining all of this.
    _JoseR
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 826
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: PSU damaged by CLC that was damaged by motherboard fire 2019/03/23 16:10:59 (permalink)
    I'll be emailing you shortly to get this whole thing sorted out 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile