Locked980 ti problem

Author
iucas
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/10/12 13:26:56 (permalink)
Hello guys,

A week ago I bought myself a second hand Geforce GTX 980 Ti (06G-P4-4995-KR) link bellow to the product:

My current configuration:
PSU: Corsair RM750i (Initially I had a Sharkoon WPM600 and changed it because I feared it might not deliver enough power)
CPU: Intel i5 3550
MB: Gigabyte GA-H77-DS3H
RAM: 16Gb (4 x 4Gb) Corsair XMS3 DDR3
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 980 Ti (06G-P4-4995-KR) [Serial number 16129349958*****]

My problem:
When I first installed the graphics card I had Ubuntu 16.04 installed on my system and the only things working were booting into my os and browsing online content. As soon as I would try to play a 3D game (Borderlands 2) the computer would freeze as soon as I would be in the game (so under load). I feel like I need to mention I have not tried to overclock (although I'm not even sure it is possible under linux). Since I had previously encountered some issues with the linux drivers for graphics cards I have decided to Windows 10 x64 Enterprise trial image and check whether this was related in any way to the driver or the OS.

I installed Windows 10 x64 Enterprise trial on my computer and tried again. In Windows I had the same experience unfortunately although I tried several driver versions from the last one (in this order: 416.16, 397.64, 355.82 and again 416.16). Every single time I would have the same issues. It was possible to boot into my OS and would be able to either start a benchmark or start the game in order to test the graphics card but as soon as it would go under load the computer would freeze and I would only have one option: power down the pc (holding for 4 seconds power button) or using the reset button. After several trials of the sort I contacted the guy that sold me the card and he suggested that my problem would be the PSU and this is how I switched from the Sharkoon above to the Corsair PSU above. Unfortunately after switching to the new PSU I have only been able to boot into Windows only once while switching to the last mentioned driver (416.16). After this point my computer wouldn't post anymore. 

Just to clarify the graphics card was connected on both PSUs to one 8pin (6+2) + one 6pin power cables from the PSU. So it should have enough power in both scenarios IMHO. Also the video signal cables were always connected to the 980 Ti (DVI + HDMI) for my two screens.

Steps taken from that point to fix this problem:
1. I have fully reset BIOS (disconnect PSU from mains, push power button for over 60 seconds to empty all capacitors, MB battery out, BIOS jumper connection for reset) - NO change, still no post;
2. Checked if "Secure Boot" option in BIOS is enabled, but with the BIOS freshly reset it was by default off;
3. Tried booting with the 980 connected to the PSU as well as disconnected:
             - with the PSU connected to the GPU I always only get a short spin of the case and CPU fans and no post. Sometimes I would get a long beep followed by three short ones, which according to Gigabyte means the following: Graphic card error 1 long beep and 3 short beep. Most of the time nothing.
            - with the PSU disconnected from the GPU the computer would go all the way to logo screen and stop there. I would have the LEDs lit up on the top side of the graphics card, the fans spinning on the graphics card and several single beeps from the PC speaker as if post would pass. After a couple of minutes I would see the motherboard logo dissapear and get a message saying PLEASE POWER DOWN AND CONNECT THE PCIe POWER CABLE(S) FOR THIS GRAPHICS CARD
4. Tried switching to the on board graphics card with and without the 980 connected :
            - with the 980 connected I have only once been able to boot into Windows and when I checked for the 980 in device manager it was not listed;
            - without the 980 connected the PC would boot but would also go through repairing my BIOS with the message (The main BIOS is corrupted). Luckily I have a dual bios motherboard so this is no real issue and was solved under two minutes. However I find it very hard to understand how and why a graphics card would corrupt the BIOS... 

Now I am wondering if switching through several driver versions could have contributed to this problem and whether there is a solution to my problem or not. 
Also I am wondering if based on the serial number on the graphics card I could have any kind of information related to the history of this piece of hardware since I have no clue to whether it was abused, overclocked, how long it was running or anything for that matter. The back-plate has some traces of grease and I would suspect that it is wither coming from the thermal pads inside or something similar (I hope at least...).

So this is my story. Sorry for the length, but I thought describing with as many details as possible would simplify our conversation and make it easier to find a potential solution (assuming there still is one available...) .

Looking forward for your ideas and potential solutions.
Thank you so much in advance.

7 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: 980 ti problem 2018/10/12 13:38:23 (permalink)
    Sounds like you need to put the card in another known good working system to see if you can reproduce the issue. If you can reproduce the issue on another system the card is faulty.
    iucas
    Re: 980 ti problem 2018/10/12 14:04:21 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Sounds like you need to put the card in another known good working system to see if you can reproduce the issue. If you can reproduce the issue on another system the card is faulty.

Hello Sajin,

I have been able to make that test also and I had the same results. That is very sad news.
    So concerning the serial number is there any chance to learn anything about the cards history? Or should I just forget about the whole idea? 
    Thank you.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 980 ti problem 2018/10/12 14:05:25 (permalink)
    You may be able to learn about the cards history by asking evga support about it. https://www.evga.com/about/contactus/
    iucas
    Re: 980 ti problem 2018/10/12 17:16:21 (permalink)
    Sajin
    You may be able to learn about the cards history by asking evga support about it. 

Thank you so much Sajin.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 980 ti problem 2018/10/12 17:17:46 (permalink)
    No problem. 
    iucas
    Re: 980 ti problem 2018/10/15 12:04:05 (permalink)
    Hello Sajin,

Thank you so much for all your help. Really quick and helpful.
    I have contacted the support line for Europe and we are investigating options. 
    I believe this thread can safely by closed since there is nothing further that can be done for my card on the forum.

Thanks again. Great support guys! 
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 980 ti problem 2018/10/15 14:26:55 (permalink)
    No problem. I'll go ahead and lock the thread. If you need it to be opened again just shoot me a pm.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile