EVGA

Unwinder adds multiple independent fan support to Afterburner.

Author
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21174
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 270
2018/09/18 19:16:45 (permalink)
Remember that Unwinder said that he would never add support inside MSI Afterburner for multiple independent fans for cards like EVGA's iCX cards with Asynchronous fan technology? Unwinder even said that not only would he refuse to add support for EVGA's cards, but if MSI started using similar asynchronous fan control, Unwinder would decline to support it.

Well, it seems something has changed. Now that independent/asynchronous fans are now going to be showing up in reference NVIDIA designs, Unwinder has added support in Afterburner.

Unwinder
Hardware abstraction layer has been revamped to provide support for multiple independent fans per GPU due to introducing dual fan design on reference design NVIDIA GeForce RTX 20x0 series graphics cards and due to introducing native dual fan control in NVAPI. Both fans of NVIDIA GeForce RTX 20x0 can be monitored independently in hardware monitoring module now and can be controlled synchronically in manual mode

https://forums.guru3d.com...2/page-68#post-5585821

I am skeptical that this will add backwards support for EVGA's 10 series iCX cards, since the microcontroller and implementation is likely different.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

18 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Unwinder adds multiple independent fan support to Afterburner. 2018/09/18 19:26:44 (permalink)
    Interesting.
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Unwinder adds multiple independent fan support to Afterburner. 2018/09/18 19:48:00 (permalink)
    *And then NVidia added asynchronous fans and unwinder ate his words and showed he will do what he is paid to do because money is more important than he wants to admit*
    post edited by the_Scarlet_one - 2018/09/22 08:55:52
    Guru3D
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Unwinder adds multiple independent fan support to Afterburner. 2018/09/18 23:45:56 (permalink)
    The love on this forum never ceases to amaze me. Here you go, from Unwinder:

There is no any “if MSI started using similar fan control”. Actually, MSI started using dual independent fan control a few years before iCX was born. It debuted with in TwinFrozer V cooling on . And yes, even for native MSI cards with independent fan controller we didn’t provide support for it in MSI Afterburner due to one simple reason: safety and reliability. There was no native support for secondary fan control in NVIDIA driver and NVAPI and in order to implement independent fan control on such MSI non-reference card, it was necessary to work with fan controller directly at low level, bypassing NVAPI fan control mechanisms and it was and is unsafe and unreliable approach. The same applied to iCX and their proprietary fan controller, which was invisible to NVAPI and could be programmed at low level only.

The reason of adding secondary fan control now with RTX series is simple and it is even documented in the release notes. Secondary programmable fan connector is assumed by reference PCB now and secondary fan control is now an official part of NVIDIA driver and NVAPI.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Unwinder adds multiple independent fan support to Afterburner. 2018/09/18 23:58:19 (permalink)
    Guru3D
    The love on this forum never ceases to amaze me. Here you go, from Unwinder:

There is no any “if MSI started using similar fan control”. Actually, MSI started using dual independent fan control a few years before iCX was born. It debuted with in TwinFrozer V cooling on . And yes, even for native MSI cards with independent fan controller we didn’t provide support for it in MSI Afterburner due to one simple reason: safety and reliability. There was no native support for secondary fan control in NVIDIA driver and NVAPI and in order to implement independent fan control on such MSI non-reference card, it was necessary to work with fan controller directly at low level, bypassing NVAPI fan control mechanisms and it was and is unsafe and unreliable approach. The same applied to iCX and their proprietary fan controller, which was invisible to NVAPI and could be programmed at low level only.

The reason of adding secondary fan control now with RTX series is simple and it is even documented in the release notes. Secondary programmable fan connector is assumed by reference PCB now and secondary fan control is now an official part of NVIDIA driver and NVAPI.

Yes, exactly. What's your point?

I like when features become adopted under an official standard. I think it is good.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

squall-leonhart
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2904
    • Ribbons : 24
    Re: Unwinder adds multiple independent fan support to Afterburner. 2018/09/21 12:28:52 (permalink)
    his point is that evga's dual fan control won't work in afterburner.

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
    Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
    Monitor:BenQ G2400WD, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
    SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
    HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
    Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
    Cooler: ThermalRight Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Unwinder adds multiple independent fan support to Afterburner. 2018/09/21 12:49:29 (permalink)
    squall-leonhart
    his point is that evga's dual fan control won't work in afterburner.

As I said. The reference designs of the future should. And that's good for everyone.

kram36
    The Destroyer
    • Total Posts : 21477
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: Unwinder adds multiple independent fan support to Afterburner. 2018/09/21 14:10:43 (permalink)
    Unwinder makes great software, well at least Afterburner was great, but the dude acts like a child. He can't take any criticism and takes the ball home so other can't play the game cause his little feeling got hurt.
    Bobmitch
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8329
    • Ribbons : 47
    Re: Unwinder adds multiple independent fan support to Afterburner. 2018/09/22 05:06:40 (permalink)

Don't think this will happen.  Here is Unwinder's explanation...

Attached Image(s)

MSI MAG X670-E Tomahawk;  Ryzen 7 7800X3D; Asus TUF RTX 4070 TI OC; Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 PSU; 32 GB  Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 RGB; Corsair iCue Link H150i RGB 360MM AIO; 2-Western Digital Black 4 TB SN850X NVMe; Creative SoundBlaster Z;  Lian Li Lancool III; EVGA Z15 Keyboard; Razer Viper 8K Mouse

Heatware:  http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=72402    Affiliate code: 1L2RV0BNQ6                                          
    Associate Code:  UD82LJP3Y1FIQPR

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Unwinder adds multiple independent fan support to Afterburner. 2018/09/22 05:36:29 (permalink)
    bobmitch

Don't think this will happen.  Here is Unwinder's explanation...

Again, like I said, I don't either. I never said that I think EVGA's iCX fan control will be added to Afterburner. I don't know why people keep repeating that over and over. Just read what is above. It is quite clear that it is for reference NVIDIA dual fan cards.

People need to stop thinking about everything as it relates to being inside of their little EVGA universe.

The points I was trying to make are:
    1) It's doubtful that MSI Afterburner will support previous EVGA iCX cards with proprietary dual fan control.
    2) It's doubtful that MSI Afterburner will support future EVGA iCX cards with proprietary dual fan control.
    3) It's interesting that NVIDIA has implemented dual independent fan control in a reference design which MSI Afterburner will support.
    4) It's hopeful that companies (like EVGA) will start supporting the reference NVIDIA API available and will stop branching out into proprietary designs which are only officially and fully supported by their own terrible software (like Precision).

If you missed that, please start over from the top and read this whole thread and links provided. If you want to also repeat the same thing over again for the 4th time, please don't, and instead start from the top and read this whole thread.

Thank you! :)
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2018/09/22 05:51:06

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Unwinder adds multiple independent fan support to Afterburner. 2018/09/22 08:26:48 (permalink)
    As many EVGA Forums member like Afterburner, this is a good 20 series design change to know about.  The details of why is also a good read.

Thank you ty_ger07 for the post

Lets see if EVGA Precision X1 offers all we need for both previous & new GPU card designs

The patented EVGA iCX design & proprietary fan controller would challenge anyone wanting to make compatible software; without a business agreement to tackle the legal issues presented by revers engineering and licensing

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Johnny_Utah
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4546
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Unwinder adds multiple independent fan support to Afterburner. 2018/09/23 09:35:44 (permalink)
    I've always used afterburner but with the new 2080's, I'll be using the new Nvidia/EVGA Scanner.

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Unwinder adds multiple independent fan support to Afterburner. 2018/09/23 12:15:42 (permalink)
    Johnny_Utah
    I've always used afterburner but with the new 2080's, I'll be using the new Nvidia/EVGA Scanner.

But you won't use the new Nvidia/Afterburner Scanner? We'll see, huh?

Johnny_Utah
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Unwinder adds multiple independent fan support to Afterburner. 2018/09/23 13:27:47 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Johnny_Utah

I'll more than likely try both depending on which provides me more options.  Not really sure what you're implying.

Edit:  It appears you're taking issue with my description of Nvidia/EVGA Scanner.  From what I read, Nvidia AND EVGA collaborated on this new tool for the 20x0 launch.  Unwinder was unsure he would even include the scanner in Afterburner which is a MSI/Unwinder tool that works WITH Nvidia cards.  Perhaps I should have been more clear.  The jury's out and I won't know for sure which will work better for me until my cards arrive (hopefully around the first week of October). 
    post edited by Johnny_Utah - 2018/09/23 14:05:41

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Unwinder adds multiple independent fan support to Afterburner. 2018/09/23 14:42:20 (permalink)
    Johnny_Utah
    ty_ger07
    Johnny_Utah

I'll more than likely try both depending on which provides me more options.  Not really sure what you're implying.

Edit:  It appears you're taking issue with my description of Nvidia/EVGA Scanner.  From what I read, Nvidia AND EVGA collaborated on this new tool for the 20x0 launch.  Unwinder was unsure he would even include the scanner in Afterburner which is a MSI/Unwinder tool that works WITH Nvidia cards.  Perhaps I should have been more clear.  The jury's out and I won't know for sure which will work better for me until my cards arrive (hopefully around the first week of October). 

I don't know where you got the idea that the scanner was thanks to EVGA.  If by "collaborated" you mean that EVGA agreed to add NVIDIA's Scanner API into Precision, to the same degree, NVIDIA collaborated with MSI insomuch as Unwinder has tested NVIDIA's Scanner API and has said that he is incorporating it into MSI Afterburner.  At its root, the Scanner is built into NVIDIA's API and it is NVIDIA who should get the credit.  EVGA has done nothing to deserve credit for NVIDIA's Scanner API except for test it; just like it has also been tested in MSI Afterburner.

I think it is funny that you refer to Precision as "NVIDIA/EVGA", but refer to Afterburner as "MSI/Unwinder" which "works WITH NVIDIA cards".  Very bizarre.  Somehow EVGA works in conjunction with NVIDIA, but MSI just happens to work along side NVIDIA?  You have a strange perspective.  Both tools use the NVIDIA API, and should therefore be equals in any measurement of credit and credibility; except for the fact that one is buggy and the other is not, which makes Afterburner clearly the superior product, designed by the grandfather of GPU overclocking.

Unwinder
    Dear forum visitors,

I shared my impressions about NVIDIA Scanner technology from software developers’s point of view. Now I’d like to post the impressions from end user and overclocker POV.
    I was never a real fan of automated overclocking because the reliability was always the weakest spot of overclocking process automation. NVIDIA Scanner is not a revolution like many newsmakers are calling it simply because different forms of automatic overclocking already existed in both NVIDIA and AMD drivers for couple decades, if not more (for example NVIDIA had it inside since CoolBits era, AMD had it in Overdrive). However, it was more like a toy and marketing thing, ignored by serious overclockers because everybody used to the fact that traditionally it crashed much more than it actually worked. Different third party tools also tried to implement their own solutions for automating the process of overclocking (the best of them is excellent ATITool by my old good friend w1zzard), but reliability of result was also the key problem.
    So I was skeptical about new NVIDIA Scanner too and had serious doubts on including it into MSI Afterburner. However, I changed my mind after trying it in action on my own system with MSI RTX 2080 Ventus card. Yes, it is not a revolution but it is an evolution of this technology for sure. During approximately 2 weeks of development, I run a few hundreds of automatic overclocking detection sessions. None of them resulted in a system crash during overclocking detection. None of them resulted in wrongly detecting abnormally high clocks as stable ones. The worst thing I could observe during automatic overclocking detection was GPU hang recovered during scanning process, and the scanner was always able to continue scanning after recovering GPU at software level and lower the clocks until finding stable result. In all cases it detected repeatable approximately +170MHz GPU overclocking of my system, resulting in GPU clock floating in 2050-2100MHz range during 3D applications runtime after applying such overclocking. Even for the worst case (i.e. potential system crash during overclocking detection) Scanner API contains the recovery mechanisms, meaning that you may simply click “Scan” one more time after rebooting the system and it will continue scanning from the point before crash. But I simply couldn’t even make it crash to test such case and emulated it by killing OC scanner process during automatic overclocking detection. So embedded NVIDIA workload and test algorithms used inside the Scanner API look really promising for me. And it will be interesting to read impressions of the rest overclockers and RTX 2080 card owners who try NVIDIA Scanner in action in nearest days/weeks.

Stay tuned!

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/rtss-6-7-0-beta-1.412822/page-68#post-5585936

post edited by ty_ger07 - 2018/09/23 15:23:44

Johnny_Utah
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Unwinder adds multiple independent fan support to Afterburner. 2018/09/23 16:51:01 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Johnny_Utah
    ty_ger07
    Johnny_Utah

I don't know where you got the idea that the scanner was thanks to EVGA.  If by "collaborated" you mean that EVGA agreed to add NVIDIA's Scanner API into Precision, to the same degree, NVIDIA collaborated with MSI insomuch as Unwinder has tested NVIDIA's Scanner API and has said that he is incorporating it into MSI Afterburner.  At its root, the Scanner is built into NVIDIA's API and it is NVIDIA who should get the credit.  EVGA has done nothing to deserve credit for NVIDIA's Scanner API except for test it; just like it has also been tested in MSI Afterburner.

I think it is funny that you refer to Precision as "NVIDIA/EVGA", but refer to Afterburner as "MSI/Unwinder" which "works WITH NVIDIA cards".  Very bizarre.  Somehow EVGA works in conjunction with NVIDIA, but MSI just happens to work along side NVIDIA?  You have a strange perspective.  Both tools use the NVIDIA API, and should therefore be equals in any measurement of credit and credibility; except for the fact that one is buggy and the other is not, which makes Afterburner clearly the superior product, designed by the grandfather of GPU overclocking.

Unwinder
    Dear forum visitors,

I shared my impressions about NVIDIA Scanner technology from software developers’s point of view. Now I’d like to post the impressions from end user and overclocker POV.
    I was never a real fan of automated overclocking because the reliability was always the weakest spot of overclocking process automation. NVIDIA Scanner is not a revolution like many newsmakers are calling it simply because different forms of automatic overclocking already existed in both NVIDIA and AMD drivers for couple decades, if not more (for example NVIDIA had it inside since CoolBits era, AMD had it in Overdrive). However, it was more like a toy and marketing thing, ignored by serious overclockers because everybody used to the fact that traditionally it crashed much more than it actually worked. Different third party tools also tried to implement their own solutions for automating the process of overclocking (the best of them is excellent ATITool by my old good friend w1zzard), but reliability of result was also the key problem.
    So I was skeptical about new NVIDIA Scanner too and had serious doubts on including it into MSI Afterburner. However, I changed my mind after trying it in action on my own system with MSI RTX 2080 Ventus card. Yes, it is not a revolution but it is an evolution of this technology for sure. During approximately 2 weeks of development, I run a few hundreds of automatic overclocking detection sessions. None of them resulted in a system crash during overclocking detection. None of them resulted in wrongly detecting abnormally high clocks as stable ones. The worst thing I could observe during automatic overclocking detection was GPU hang recovered during scanning process, and the scanner was always able to continue scanning after recovering GPU at software level and lower the clocks until finding stable result. In all cases it detected repeatable approximately +170MHz GPU overclocking of my system, resulting in GPU clock floating in 2050-2100MHz range during 3D applications runtime after applying such overclocking. Even for the worst case (i.e. potential system crash during overclocking detection) Scanner API contains the recovery mechanisms, meaning that you may simply click “Scan” one more time after rebooting the system and it will continue scanning from the point before crash. But I simply couldn’t even make it crash to test such case and emulated it by killing OC scanner process during automatic overclocking detection. So embedded NVIDIA workload and test algorithms used inside the Scanner API look really promising for me. And it will be interesting to read impressions of the rest overclockers and RTX 2080 card owners who try NVIDIA Scanner in action in nearest days/weeks.

Stay tuned!

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/rtss-6-7-0-beta-1.412822/page-68#post-5585936

For some reason you have the idea that I think that Precision has been the better app....which couldn't be farther from the truth.  I suppose you just want to argue, so I'll leave this be.  Have a nice night.

Forgot to mention, you are absolutely correct about the scanner---I misread an article.  Scanner was developed by Nvidia and can be used by any overclocking program that wishes to implement it.  I was under the impression it was developed WITH EVGA, which is not the case.
    post edited by Johnny_Utah - 2018/09/23 17:11:53

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Unwinder adds multiple independent fan support to Afterburner. 2018/09/23 17:15:44 (permalink)
    Johnny_Utah

Forgot to mention, you are absolutely correct about the scanner---I misread an article.  Scanner was developed by Nvidia and can be used by any overclocking program that wishes to implement it.  I was under the impression it was developed WITH EVGA, which is not the case.

Ok, cool.  That, and the "NVIDIA/EVGA" (who works directly with NVIDIA) vs "MSI/Unwinder" (who works along the side of NVIDIA like some sort of parasite), is what set me off.

Johnny_Utah
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Unwinder adds multiple independent fan support to Afterburner. 2018/09/23 17:19:05 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Johnny_Utah

Ok, cool.  That, and the "NVIDIA/EVGA" (who works directly with NVIDIA) vs "MSI/Unwinder" (who works along the side of NVIDIA like some sort of parasite), is what set me off.

I'll be interested though to see which the new cards prefer.  I'm going to give each an equal shot but now knowing the latter half of what I believed to be true is not the case, I may end up using AB as I have for years.  Who knows, maybe Precision will pleasantly surprise.

kram36
    The Destroyer
    • Total Posts : 21477
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: Unwinder adds multiple independent fan support to Afterburner. 2018/09/23 17:52:38 (permalink)
    From all the videos I have watched on overclocking the 20 series cards, most reviewers prefer EVGA's Precision X1 layout better then MSI's Afterburner. I think EVGA has a nice hit on the new Precision X1 utility.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile