2 x 8pin connectors, both needed???

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31005
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: 2 x 8pin connectors, both needed??? 2018/03/19 10:53:10 (permalink)

Previous posted on the forums: https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2688196
(JayzTwoCents video)
 What the Video shows:
1)  Two independent PCIe cables slightly outperformed a single PCIe cable with a pigtailed second connector - on an OC GPU
2)  Though the reason for the improvement was not answered

My theory:
The reason it works better, using two separate PCIe cables, comes down to less resistance because of more conductors

V = I R
Voltage = Current × Resistance

I'm not saying a single PCIe cable with pigtail secondary connector cann't be used, just that it is not optimal.

When you want the best performance possible, the best stability possible using several PCIe cables can help

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

squall-leonhart
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2904
  • Ribbons : 24
Re: 2 x 8pin connectors, both needed??? 2018/03/21 08:26:15 (permalink)
Sorry, but I trust very little of what JayZ ever puts on youtube, there is no scientific methodology to his content and the hard core tech groups I frequent consider him to be a bit of a clown.

His video there can easily be explained based by the fact that the entire system performance changes every time the gpu core is restarted based on the base VID table.

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:BenQ G2400WD, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: 2 x 8pin connectors, both needed??? 2018/03/21 08:32:03 (permalink)
squall-leonhart
Sorry, but I trust very little of what JayZ ever puts on youtube, there is no scientific methodology to his content and the hard core tech groups I frequent consider him to be a bit of a clown.

His video there can easily be explained based by the fact that the entire system performance changes every time the gpu core is restarted based on the base VID table.

Many who inhabit 'hard core tech groups' are also 'clowns' based on my personal experience. That isn't addressed at you specifically.  However, several here are making fallacious 'appeal to authority' arguments. As far as I know, the only one participating in this discussion who is an EE, is a member of Jedec and IEEE..would be...me.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

squall-leonhart
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2904
  • Ribbons : 24
Re: 2 x 8pin connectors, both needed??? 2018/03/21 08:42:54 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
squall-leonhart

As far as I know, the only one participating in this discussion who is an EE, is a member of Jedec and IEEE..would be...me.

I'm aware of this actually, I've made note of you saying as such previously.
But I don't surround myself with clowns, I actively cut such people lose (for my mental healths sake).

My small circle of friends and colleagues and guild mates include several EE's, a couple who have been part of temporary NDA government and defense contracts (tanks and subs) and build their own rigs exclusively

Quite picky in what power supplies they pick up and only choosing from those reviewed invasively so they can see how the units are built and the parts used (not just on momentary reviewer testing),  My stance is based on discussions with them throughout the years.

On another matter, and this is something I've spoken to with a few in definite agreeance,  What would your stance be on ATX revising 12v tolerances to 3%?

CPU:Intel Xeon x5690 @ 4.2Ghz, Mainboard:Asus Rampage III Extreme, Memory:48GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600
Video:EVGA Geforce GTX 1080 Founders Edition, NVidia Geforce GTX 1060 Founders Edition
Monitor:BenQ G2400WD, BenQ BL2211, Sound:Creative XFI Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
SDD:Crucial MX300 275, Crucial MX300 525, Crucial MX300 1000
HDD:500GB Spinpoint F3, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Red, 1TB WD Black
Case:NZXT Phantom 820, PSU:Seasonic X-850, OS:Windows 7 SP1
Cooler: ThermalRight Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: 2 x 8pin connectors, both needed??? 2018/03/21 15:46:32 (permalink)
squall-leonhart
HeavyHemi
squall-leonhart

As far as I know, the only one participating in this discussion who is an EE, is a member of Jedec and IEEE..would be...me.

I'm aware of this actually, I've made note of you saying as such previously.
But I don't surround myself with clowns, I actively cut such people lose (for my mental healths sake).

My small circle of friends and colleagues and guild mates include several EE's, a couple who have been part of temporary NDA government and defense contracts (tanks and subs) and build their own rigs exclusively

Quite picky in what power supplies they pick up and only choosing from those reviewed invasively so they can see how the units are built and the parts used (not just on momentary reviewer testing),  My stance is based on discussions with them throughout the years.

On another matter, and this is something I've spoken to with a few in definite agreeance,  What would your stance be on ATX revising 12v tolerances to 3%?

I don't think we are really disagreeing. A quality unit should be able to run a 250 watt GPU on one split PCIe cable. However we've seen that's an issue often enough with stability that most recommend using two separate cables if you can, not necessarily separate 'rails', due to the voltage drop of using the single cable. Tightening the ATX spec to 3%, wouldn't hurt...though I'm not really sure of the practical benefits of going from +- .6v to +- .36v given the extensive voltage regulation down stream. I'd personally be more in favor of cleaner, ie less ripple and transients and higher efficiency.

Edit... corrected .5v to .6v.

post edited by HeavyHemi - 2018/03/22 20:30:11

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile