EVGA

2x SeaSonic 1300W Prime PLatinum

Author
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1289
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 2
2018/03/12 05:37:44 (permalink)
I didn't want to post this in Power Supplies section  because this is not EVGA PSU so I hope this is the appropriate place.

Guys I need some friendly advice, usually I don't have problems with decision making  and unlike upgrading to new GPU's or CPU's  this seems a bit harder and I've been going back and forth and still, I'm not sure.

I've been using 2 PSU's since I can remember and most of the time they are SeaSonics, they have never failed me and this time I have 2x 1200W Platinum.

I have them since 2014 and they have been running great and I also have them both hooked separately to 2x CyberPower CP1500AVRLCD Intelligent LCD UPS to make sure that they  don't ever get dirty power.

There are 2 reason I'm using 2 PSU's..

1..Silents, each have enough overhead that I can run them both on hybrid mode 90% of the time, the only time fans are on is if I'm doing something that requires heavy load.
2. The amount of components I have hooked is beyond the amount connections that are available and doing daisy chain cables is not a good thing and again, it would overload my PSU and my silent's goes out the door.

Recently  SeaSonics came out with new 1300W Prime Platinum that has 12 year warranty,  I have been thinking on getting it since I have few buyers for my 1200W Platinum and once I sell them all I have to add $250 and get the new 1300W, they each retail $379 on New-egg.

What is attractive with the new 1300W Platinum is their warranty, Whopping 12 years that is long and also they are tiny bit smaller which is always a good thing.

My current PSU's are 3 years old and even thou they run great I'm wondering if  it's a good idea to sell them and get the new 1300W, so them I would even have more overhead, which I think it's better.

I am struggling here, what you guys think, someone please talk some senses to my, am I off here or not???

Thanks

3 Replies Related Threads

FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1289
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: 2x SeaSonic 1300W Prime PLatinum 2018/03/12 10:54:17 (permalink)
    Guys ! don't worry, disregard my question, I'm keeping my current PSU's.

Reason I'm keeping it? Seasonic for some reason started using Fluid Dynamic Bearing fans staring from 650W PRIME up to 1300W PRIME opposed to Dual Ball Bearing that were used in previous series like on my 1200W Platinum, its still loud while on full load, but nothing like

I've heard on the PRIME series, they are awfully loud as if some king of grinding going on and when I looked at # of videos in regards, they all have that in common, so its not 1 or 2 of them, but all of them.

It's sad because seasonic makes unmatched quality PSU's but this time around they have chosen wrong cooling fan that is the deal breaker.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: 2x SeaSonic 1300W Prime PLatinum 2018/03/12 13:19:47 (permalink)
    Moving thread to general hardware subsection.
    QuintLeo
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 946
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: 2x SeaSonic 1300W Prime PLatinum 2018/03/29 20:11:18 (permalink)
    I would stick with your existing Seasonic units - the "Prime" line moved to one of those "fancy name SLEEVE BEARING" fan types and I don't anticipate them lasting as long as the KM3 platform units will.
    NONE of the current Seasonic PS are ball bearing - Prime OR Focus - which has forced me to look at alternatives.

Up side - EVGA *seems* to still be making at least some of the G2/P2/T2 series, and the Corsair AX "analog" line (NOT their AX (i) "digital" line which is Flextronics something-or-the-other) is a Seasonic-made KM3 platform "variant" on the Snow Silent power supplies (still with a ball-bearing fan, but slightly different pinout on some of the PS cable connections for some unknown reason).

Now that vorsholk has stopped his abuse, I'm returning to folding.
     I no longer MOO due to abuses by certain "whales" in the Gridcoin community - so I now work the Distributed.net project directly again.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile