EVGA

Helpful ReplyFTW3 Ultra 3080 Thermal Pad Thickness

Author
Reedey
  • Total Posts : 21
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2020/10/22 04:00:33 (permalink)
So I couldn't get a definitive answer on thermal pads for the FTW3 so I took a punt and bought an assortment of Primochill stuff to replace the memory and VRM pads on my FTW3 ultra and thought i'd share what I learned.

Firstly, the memory needs 2mm thermal pads. The best info I could find suggested 1mm pads and I ended up needing to double them up on the memory. I actually ended up running out of pads because of this which led to me not quite getting full coverage on my VRM's

VRM's need 1mm thermal pads. I can see why they used thermal putty after pulling it apart because they are not uniform height, their height varies quite a bit which is what the thermal putty works well with.

The backplate needs 3mm pads if you want to get some contact on the back of the memory, that gap is quite large.

Now before everyone flips out at the amount of thermal paste in my photo, I took it before I had scraped it off to a thinner layer. Thermal performance after re-fitting the cooler with the thermal pads and fresh paste is basically the same, GPU2 temperature is slightly improved and I have managed to squeeze an extra 25MHz core out of Timespy on ambient air cooling, so it looks like I have managed to derive some slight benefit from it.

The OEM thermal paste was nowhere near as dry and crusty as the Gamers Nexus one was in their teardown. The thermal paste on my card was evenly applied, not too dry and cleaned off very easily.
post edited by Reedey - 2020/10/22 04:06:02

Attached Image(s)

macktkau
  • Total Posts : 37
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: FTW3 Ultra 3080 Thermal Pad Thickness 2020/10/22 05:46:01 (permalink)
Did you consider using liquid metal? 
sparetimepc
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2413
  • Ribbons : 27
Re: FTW3 Ultra 3080 Thermal Pad Thickness 2020/10/22 06:03:07 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Cool GTX 2020/10/22 07:53:07
Reedey
So I couldn't get a definitive answer on thermal pads for the FTW3 so I took a punt and bought an assortment of Primochill stuff to replace the memory and VRM pads on my FTW3 ultra and thought i'd share what I learned.

Firstly, the memory needs 2mm thermal pads. The best info I could find suggested 1mm pads and I ended up needing to double them up on the memory. I actually ended up running out of pads because of this which led to me not quite getting full coverage on my VRM's

VRM's need 1mm thermal pads. I can see why they used thermal putty after pulling it apart because they are not uniform height, their height varies quite a bit which is what the thermal putty works well with.

The backplate needs 3mm pads if you want to get some contact on the back of the memory, that gap is quite large.

Now before everyone flips out at the amount of thermal paste in my photo, I took it before I had scraped it off to a thinner layer. Thermal performance after re-fitting the cooler with the thermal pads and fresh paste is basically the same, GPU2 temperature is slightly improved and I have managed to squeeze an extra 25MHz core out of Timespy on ambient air cooling, so it looks like I have managed to derive some slight benefit from it.

The OEM thermal paste was nowhere near as dry and crusty as the Gamers Nexus one was in their teardown. The thermal paste on my card was evenly applied, not too dry and cleaned off very easily.

Look at the last entry here in this post from evga direct.

https://forums.evga.com/m..aspx?m=3122199&fp=8

streamroller
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 112
Re: FTW3 Ultra 3080 Thermal Pad Thickness 2020/10/22 06:41:10 (permalink)
How come you missed the most important comparison here

Stock Thermal pads vs Aftermarket Temps

You mentioned gpu2 ( backside) now cools better but how much ?

Also how about gpu core and mems ? I guess EVGA already used quality materials on pads.

3080 FTW3  Ultra 2012-Chinese First Batch.| 2300-2250 Air Hold  World record  Ambient 7C >https://www.3dmark.com/pr/628547
bcavanagh
  • Total Posts : 36
Re: FTW3 Ultra 3080 Thermal Pad Thickness 2020/10/22 07:18:58 (permalink)
sparetimepc
Reedey

Look at the last entry here in this post from evga direct.

https://forums.evga.com/m..aspx?m=3122199&fp=8

Would the 3080 be the same thicknesses? 
sparetimepc
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2413
  • Ribbons : 27
Re: FTW3 Ultra 3080 Thermal Pad Thickness 2020/10/22 07:36:37 (permalink)
They are basically the same card so I would think they would be

FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1289
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: FTW3 Ultra 3080 Thermal Pad Thickness 2020/10/22 07:38:54 (permalink)
disregard I had wrong card
post edited by AWK16 - 2020/10/22 07:59:56
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30996
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: FTW3 Ultra 3080 Thermal Pad Thickness 2020/10/22 07:47:19 (permalink)
stacking the thermal pads, will impact thermal transfer ... but, sometimes you have to work with what you have in supplies

per EVGA_JacobF

https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/3123309

on the 3090 FTW3 --> I have NO idea if the are the Same on the 3080 FTW3

EVGA_JacobF
Memory is 2.25mm, VRM 2.85mm, back VRAM is 2mm

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

jnucum
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: FTW3 Ultra 3080 Thermal Pad Thickness 2020/10/22 10:25:06 (permalink)
Reedey

where did you source your 3mm pads for the backplate? did you have a shot of where you applied them?

macktkau
  • Total Posts : 37
Re: FTW3 Ultra 3080 Thermal Pad Thickness 2020/10/22 23:35:09 (permalink)
jnucum
Reedey

where did you source your 3mm pads for the backplate? did you have a shot of where you applied them?

He made a similar post on another forum, I don't think he actually did them all, and I would guess based on the brand of thermal pad he bought he just stacked a couple 1.5mm pads on top of each other.
Reedey
  • Total Posts : 21
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: FTW3 Ultra 3080 Thermal Pad Thickness 2020/10/23 02:29:09 (permalink)
streamroller
How come you missed the most important comparison here

Stock Thermal pads vs Aftermarket Temps

You mentioned gpu2 ( backside) now cools better but how much ?

Also how about gpu core and mems ? I guess EVGA already used quality materials on pads.

Thermals are essentially the same across the board. No real measurable difference in temperatures, however I have gained the extra 25MHz so it has maybe done something. If I didn't have to double up on some of the pads then my result would probably have been better.
jingiko
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1517
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: FTW3 Ultra 3080 Thermal Pad Thickness 2020/10/23 08:32:39 (permalink)
Would it be okay if I just took apart my 3080 and replace the thermal putty with 1mm thermal pads while saving the existing thermal pads already placed?
I would also add the 3mm pads on the back to allow backplate contact like you suggested

Ive taken apart multiple cards/laptops and never actually come across thermal putty & id ideally want clean even coverage when putting it back together after I swap the TIM with Kyronaut.

Never seen these on my EVGA 2070S 2060S 1070s etc.

On another note Fujipoly seems like the best on the market atm however its rated at 11.0W/mK which seems like overkill along with a higher price.
Im thinking the Wathai brand with a 1.5W/mK since VRMs wouldn't produce that much heat unless you think otherwise. Thoughts?
Wathai sells all 1/1.5/2/3mm pads on Amazon

NICROD
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 465
Re: FTW3 Ultra 3080 Thermal Pad Thickness 2020/11/07 08:45:05 (permalink)
Does anyone know what the thermal conductivity specs are for the pads and putty used by EVGA on the 3090 FTW3 Ultras? I wanted to replace mine but I wanted to make sure i meet or exceed the technical specs for the material I select. So far I am considering Fujipoly Premium with a thermal Conductivity 6.0 W/mK. I was thinking the Ultra with 17.0 W/mK maybe overkill, or will the memory chips need the higher spec pads?
senecaty
  • Total Posts : 30
Re: FTW3 Ultra 3080 Thermal Pad Thickness 2020/11/07 09:14:06 (permalink)
Cool breakdown, thanks for testing and uploading clearly labelled photos!
mrshrir
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 179
Re: FTW3 Ultra 3080 Thermal Pad Thickness 2021/06/21 18:23:05 (permalink)
6 W/MK PADS good enough to use > ?? 
bryantnguyen49
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 101
Re: FTW3 Ultra 3080 Thermal Pad Thickness 2021/06/24 23:12:41 (permalink)
I replaced my pads with gelid ultimates. I used 1mm on the inductors where the thermal putty was. One side did not have as much contact on the other side. Although I have a 3090 ftw3 ultra so not too sure if there's a difference there aside from backside vram.
bryantnguyen49
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 101
Re: FTW3 Ultra 3080 Thermal Pad Thickness 2021/06/24 23:17:48 (permalink)
Most likely. Getting good contact with everything is much more important.
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile