EVGA

EVGA X99 Micro2!

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Author
bmot6689
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA X99 Micro2! 2015/08/24 13:52:07 (permalink)
SimonOcean
@EVGA_JacobF:

Hi Jacob. I've had delivery of my EVGA X99 Micro2. As I am still waiting on some watercooling fittings to turn up I have not had much opportunity to test the motherboard and form extensive opinions. But my hopes are positive / high and I am looking forward to seeing what it can do.

However, I already have one area of constructive criticism that I think others have been frustrated by too. The motherboard package includes a really neat looking I/O case-side metal fitting that you screw down onto two of the motherboard standoffs. The problem is that with this installed the side of the metal I/O surround intersects with where my GPU backplate needs to go with the GPU pushed into the first PCIe x16 slot. It is a tiny detail, but really annoying. I am not going without the GPU backplate so currently the metal I/O surround is sitting unused. (There is no way to fettle it to fit. I have tried). Basically the metal I/O surround needs a redesign.

Can your engineers do anything to improve this part so that it fits with GPU backplates given the space constraints with the I/O ports? Are your product managers able or willing to modify new production to include a version 2 of the I/O surround? Or is it too late from a manufacturing / SKU point of view. Are you able to create a version 2 I/O surround and either send it out to registered owners or sell it to them from your website as an update / spare part?

It is annoying me as one of the reasons for choosing this board was the clean look and that is partially impacted by this part incompatibility. 

Thanks, Simon.

EK Backplates won't work. I ended up using the EVGA back plate with EK water block with some custom screws and it fits nicely with the I/O
div033
  • Total Posts : 30
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA X99 Micro2! 2015/08/25 17:51:50 (permalink)
bmot6689
SimonOcean
@EVGA_JacobF:

Hi Jacob. I've had delivery of my EVGA X99 Micro2. As I am still waiting on some watercooling fittings to turn up I have not had much opportunity to test the motherboard and form extensive opinions. But my hopes are positive / high and I am looking forward to seeing what it can do.

However, I already have one area of constructive criticism that I think others have been frustrated by too. The motherboard package includes a really neat looking I/O case-side metal fitting that you screw down onto two of the motherboard standoffs. The problem is that with this installed the side of the metal I/O surround intersects with where my GPU backplate needs to go with the GPU pushed into the first PCIe x16 slot. It is a tiny detail, but really annoying. I am not going without the GPU backplate so currently the metal I/O surround is sitting unused. (There is no way to fettle it to fit. I have tried). Basically the metal I/O surround needs a redesign.

Can your engineers do anything to improve this part so that it fits with GPU backplates given the space constraints with the I/O ports? Are your product managers able or willing to modify new production to include a version 2 of the I/O surround? Or is it too late from a manufacturing / SKU point of view. Are you able to create a version 2 I/O surround and either send it out to registered owners or sell it to them from your website as an update / spare part?

It is annoying me as one of the reasons for choosing this board was the clean look and that is partially impacted by this part incompatibility. 

Thanks, Simon.

EK Backplates won't work. I ended up using the EVGA back plate with EK water block with some custom screws and it fits nicely with the I/O

This isn't my experience. I also have an EVGA backplate and couldn't get them both to work together. I'm curious as to how you managed to do it, would the custom screws have anything to do with it?

AMD Ryzen 5950X - ASUS STRIX X570-E - EVGA GeForce RTX 3090Ti FTW ULTRA Hybrid - GSkill Ripjaws V 64GB DDR4 3666MHz (CL16) - 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD - Fractal Design Define 7
bmot6689
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: EVGA X99 Micro2! 2015/08/25 22:32:41 (permalink)
div033
bmot6689
SimonOcean
@EVGA_JacobF:

Thanks, Simon.

This isn't my experience. I also have an EVGA backplate and couldn't get them both to work together. I'm curious as to how you managed to do it, would the custom screws have anything to do with it?

You would need these to screw card to block http://www.metricscrews.us/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=98_7_62&products_id=185

And these to screw back plate on http://www.metricscrews.us/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=98_7_65&products_id=682

Once you do that, losen I/O cover slightly from mobo stand off (The screw near the card. Leave top screw tightened) so when you install card, the I/O cover will shift a little to compensate the card and plate
div033
Re: EVGA X99 Micro2! 2015/08/26 07:40:08 (permalink)
bmot6689
div033
bmot6689
SimonOcean
@EVGA_JacobF:

Thanks, Simon.

You would need these to screw card to block http://www.metricscrews.us/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=98_7_62&products_id=185

And these to screw back plate on http://www.metricscrews.us/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=98_7_65&products_id=682

Once you do that, losen I/O cover slightly from mobo stand off (The screw near the card. Leave top screw tightened) so when you install card, the I/O cover will shift a little to compensate the card and plate

Thanks for the links and suggestions. I should clarify that I'm not running a waterblock setup but rather am using a reference cooler. However I don't think this affects the clearance between the backplate and I/O cover.

Next time I make an addition I'll look into doing something like this. I've even just had a thought about drilling new holes into the shield to shift it upwards a bit, maybe something like that would work.

AMD Ryzen 5950X - ASUS STRIX X570-E - EVGA GeForce RTX 3090Ti FTW ULTRA Hybrid - GSkill Ripjaws V 64GB DDR4 3666MHz (CL16) - 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD - Fractal Design Define 7
Aibohphobia
  • Total Posts : 52
Re: EVGA X99 Micro2! 2015/08/26 10:12:17 (permalink)
kse617
Hey guys, does anyone know the fan/voltage/SuperIO controller on the Micro2? I'm on the fence between going microATX or keeping my ATX X99 build, and the deciding factor right now is if it's compatible with Speedfan or not.

It should be something like Nuvoton NCT6791D or ITE IT8783F or something similar.

If you're still wondering about this the Super IO chip is a Fintek F71889A. Speedfan can control CPU_FAN, CPU2_FAN, and CHA_FAN.
SimonOcean
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 222
Re: EVGA X99 Micro2! 2015/08/26 10:37:25 (permalink)
@bmot6689:
Thank you for the idea concerning low profile screw threads. I wish I had read that before installing my GPU cards. I am now reluctant to take them apart again (already taken them apart a few times, it is time consuming and also requires me to fit new thermal pads each time.) By the way... have you actually done this yourself and gotten it to work? Did you have to use different thickness thermal pads? Any pictures of how it looks?

@EVGA_JacobF:
Any response from you, Jacob, regarding this problem?
post edited by SimonOcean - 2015/08/26 10:45:47

Think 1: Caselabs Mercury S5 | Retired

Think 2 rev B: Caselabs Magnum SMA8/A | MSI X570 Tomahawk | R7-5800X | G.Skill DDR4 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34 | MSI RTX 3090 Suprim | 2x Samsung 970 Evo 2TB | EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1200 | Dell UP2715K 5K monitor | Twin custom water-cooling loops with Hardware Labs GTX 560 and GTS 480 with D5 pumps and Aquaero 6 XT control
coldashbin
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: EVGA X99 Micro2! 2015/08/27 00:55:48 (permalink)
i tried 2 brand new 2 way PWM splitters last night, so 2x Corsair SP120s on each CPU header set to smart and CPU temperature. All ran at full speed still (1400rpm approx)
I have some spare AKASA Apache 120mm PWM fans in my box of parts, I'm going to replace the SP120s with these and retry to see if it is indeed the SP120 fans at fault here.
EVGA_JacobF
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 16946
  • Ribbons : 26
Re: EVGA X99 Micro2! 2015/08/27 16:49:10 (permalink)
SimonOcean
@EVGA_JacobF:

Thanks, Simon.

Which backplate are you using? I know it can fit with the EVGA backplates but its a bit tight.

SimonOcean
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 222
Re: EVGA X99 Micro2! 2015/08/28 01:22:18 (permalink)
Hi @EVGA_JacobF. To answer: I am using an EK-FC Titan X Black Acetal backplate (along with EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ card and EK-FC Titan X - Nickel Waterblock). This one: 

The main reason I chose that was the lettering on the EK is much smaller / more minimalist and the very large font used on the EVGA version of the backplate would have been upside down when mounted in my case (a CaseLabs Mercury S5 which has a horizontal motherboard). I really did not want very large font upside down in my build.

Am I correct thinking that EK makes the waterblocks and backplates for EVGA Hydros? Are they manufacturing the backplates to slightly different dimensions / thickness? Why can't a different grade metal be used in the metal I/O surround which allows for tooling a sharper corner angle to give more clearance with a GPU backplate?

Think 1: Caselabs Mercury S5 | Retired

Think 2 rev B: Caselabs Magnum SMA8/A | MSI X570 Tomahawk | R7-5800X | G.Skill DDR4 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34 | MSI RTX 3090 Suprim | 2x Samsung 970 Evo 2TB | EVGA SuperNOVA P2 1200 | Dell UP2715K 5K monitor | Twin custom water-cooling loops with Hardware Labs GTX 560 and GTS 480 with D5 pumps and Aquaero 6 XT control
coldashbin
Re: EVGA X99 Micro2! 2015/08/29 00:43:07 (permalink)
Fan update - replaced the Corsair SP120s with some old Akasa Apache PWM fans I had lying around. Connected 5 fans to splitter and then the CPU_1 fan header set to smart. All works fine with variable PWM speeds.
Therefore I can only conclude the Corsair PWM SP120s do have issues when used with fan splitters on certain motherboards.
Cnote822
  • Total Posts : 7
Re: EVGA X99 Micro2! 2015/08/29 10:14:42 (permalink)
EVGA_JacobF
SimonOcean
@EVGA_JacobF:

Thanks, Simon.

Which backplate are you using? I know it can fit with the EVGA backplates but its a bit tight.

I'm using the Gigabyte G1 980ti and had to remove the cover as well. Not a huge deal, but it does take away from the aesthetics just a bit.
balthazar2k4
Re: EVGA X99 Micro2! 2015/09/25 07:35:33 (permalink)
So I just picked up a Micro2 and I am stumped.  This is my first EVGA motherboard so it could just be that I'm missing something, but I can manually overclock (including voltages) in the E-LEET tool, but if I try to make those settings in the BIOS the machine just freezes at post on the reboot.  What gives?

I am running FW 1.01.
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: EVGA X99 Micro2! 2015/09/25 08:19:38 (permalink)
balthazar2k4
So I just picked up a Micro2 and I am stumped.  This is my first EVGA motherboard so it could just be that I'm missing something, but I can manually overclock (including voltages) in the E-LEET tool, but if I try to make those settings in the BIOS the machine just freezes at post on the reboot.  What gives?

I am running FW 1.01.

E-Leet has been having some issues working for some that I have seen. I over clocked through the bios and had very few frustrations.
balthazar2k4
Re: EVGA X99 Micro2! 2015/09/25 08:28:47 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
balthazar2k4

I am running FW 1.01.

E-Leet has been having some issues working for some that I have seen. I over clocked through the bios and had very few frustrations.

That is more in line with what I would have suspected.  Having been a long time ASUS user I have always had great success with OCing in the BIOS and crap luck with their software.  With EVGA this seems to be completely the opposite case.  I must be missing something I just need to figure out what.  There's a learning curve anytime you change brands...
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: EVGA X99 Micro2! 2015/09/25 08:30:52 (permalink)
balthazar2k4

That is more in line with what I would have suspected.  Having been a long time ASUS user I have always had great success with OCing in the BIOS and crap luck with their software.  With EVGA this seems to be completely the opposite case.  I must be missing something I just need to figure out what.  There's a learning curve anytime you change brands...

Yes, indeed. I have stopped trying software overclocking because Asus wouldn't let me get away with good overclocks with the software.

I have since switched over to the bios and have really enjoyed playing with it, although a cmos reset can be frustrating, lol.
balthazar2k4
Re: EVGA X99 Micro2! 2015/09/25 08:34:58 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
Yes, indeed. I have stopped trying software overclocking because Asus wouldn't let me get away with good overclocks with the software.

I have since switched over to the bios and have really enjoyed playing with it, although a cmos reset can be frustrating, lol.

I do think the Asus BIOS is more full featured than what EVGA has, but I must admit the Micro2 is considerably more stable than my X99-Deluxe ever was with the 5960X.  The ASUS was a mess.
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102291
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: EVGA X99 Micro2! 2015/09/25 09:00:51 (permalink)
I've got the X99 Micro 2 and it's been very stable

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Vlada011
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10257
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: EVGA X99 Micro2! 2015/10/01 00:34:58 (permalink)
rjohnson11
I've got the X99 Micro 2 and it's been very stable

Nice upgrade rjohnson.

I can't explain how mATX boards attract me last several months.
I really like them, only I afraid when moment come I will decide again E-ATX and I really don't need E-ATX or ATX.
Most I will need is GPU slot, sound card slot, M.2 and PCI-E SSD. Nothing over that and everything could be installed on mATX.
It's bad because EVGA don't want to build mATX with famous angle connector....
Maybe is reason size of motherboard if someone plan for smaller case, but he don't need to much place.
Looks like EVGA made nice little motherboard for powerful Intel Extreme, Micro 2. 
What they think about power part, is it enough and for overclocked i7-5960X to 4.3-4.4-4.5GHz...for every day?
Type C or A USB really no difference, speed is same, adapters will be available only C is better for faster connection.

post edited by Vlada011 - 2015/10/01 00:37:34

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
http://www.evga.com
http://www.intel.com
http://www.nvidia.com
https://watercool.de
http://www.lian-li.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

beemuzu
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: EVGA X99 Micro2! 2015/10/20 20:28:11 (permalink)
Is this a fan?

EVGA_JacobF

Manual: 

Attached Image(s)

GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: EVGA X99 Micro2! 2015/10/20 20:42:04 (permalink)
beemuzu
Is this a fan?

If by fan you mean fan headers, nope.  These are the fan headers on the MB described in the product manual.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
beemuzu
Re: EVGA X99 Micro2! 2015/10/20 22:26:54 (permalink)
What is that? Can you tell me exactly? Thank you!
gtxjackbauer
beemuzu
Is this a fan?

If by fan you mean fan headers, nope.  These are the fan headers on the MB described in the .

GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: EVGA X99 Micro2! 2015/10/21 00:04:42 (permalink)
beemuzu
gtxjackbauer
beemuzu
Is this a fan?

If by fan you mean fan headers, nope. These are the fan headers on the MB described in the .

What are you asking so I can better answer your question.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
beemuzu
Re: EVGA X99 Micro2! 2015/10/21 00:15:34 (permalink)
3pin for fans?
gtxjackbauer
beemuzu
gtxjackbauer
beemuzu
Is this a fan?

If by fan you mean fan headers, nope. These are the fan headers on the MB described in the .

What are you asking so I can better answer your question.

Attached Image(s)

Aibohphobia
  • Total Posts : 52
Re: EVGA X99 Micro2! 2015/10/21 17:28:58 (permalink)
It's not labeled in the manual so my guess is a diagnostic port for use at the factory.
div033
Re: EVGA X99 Micro2! 2015/10/23 12:41:15 (permalink)
Just an update on my IO cover issue...

I took another stab at getting it to fit and managed to do so only with bottom screw removed. With it in, the space was too tight for my 980 ti SC (reference cooler) with EVGA backplate. I don't think this will have any negative effects seeing as how all the other screws provide great stability.

sjp770
  • Total Posts : 32
Re: EVGA X99 Micro2! 2015/10/25 20:46:47 (permalink)
Just bought this, waiting on international shipping though. I cant seem to find many reviews on it? Compared to the Asus x99 matx WS board this seemed much better with the support for pcie x4 M.2 SSDs instead of only supporting x2. gendreaur Where is your youtube review?

i7-3930K @ 4.6GHz, ASUS Rampage IV Formula, EVGA GTX 680 Classified 4GB HydroCopper, Corsair Vengance 16Gb 1600Mhz DDR3,  Intel 520 series 240Gb SSD, Corsair NFORCE3 120Gb SSD, 3x Dell 24" Portrait Surround , Corsair AX1200i PSU, HWLabs GTX 560 100% inside a Corsair 800D

surfinchina
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: EVGA X99 Micro2! 2015/11/04 14:28:24 (permalink)
I've had this board for a day now and played for a few hours.
I really like it.
It clocked my 5690x to 4.2 on about .9 volts and I found the bios quite easy, apart from offset but a few more hours should get me understanding what +20 is in terms of volts. Not volts obviously. The help and manuals etc aren't so great.
I'm only clocking low because all the play has stirred up some stuff in the loop and water flow is terrible. I hope that's the reason and the pump hasn't died... Idle temps are up from 20 to 35 or even 40.

A few observations.
I can't actually use my USB 3.1 small connecter on the back because it's jammed up against the case. I can get the stick in, but need some small pliers to remove it haha, so it's a bit useless. I'll have to find a lead somewhere.
And the USB speed is super slow. I guess I need to play with more drivers and so on.
E Leet crashed the computer every time I tried offset, so I'm using bios, which is fine.
My corsair link and commander mini have stopped. Not surprising as they're really buggy. I suspect usb drivers again and tonight I'll trawl through regedit and delete all the corsair stuff.
One USB isn't enough on the board. Now I need to split it for my PSU usb and the commander mini.

The only thing I'd like help with is the USB speed. Slow on the small connector as well as the front ones. I'll try some other back ports and new drivers though.

But overall way more brilliant than my Asus at work and looks very nice.
It'll really start to shine when I get the new Samsung 950 pro. And an Inwin 901 to cut up and squeeze the mobo in.

Oh, my GPU score on Cinebench jumped from 110 to 190 (R9 280x). This was an unexpected bonus.

Thanks EVGA

Tem4ik
  • Total Posts : 14
Re: EVGA X99 Micro2! 2015/11/06 13:29:10 (permalink)
Please keep us posted with 950 Pro installation. Hope you got a decent airflow in your case, considering throttling issue with this drive.
surfinchina
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: EVGA X99 Micro2! 2015/11/07 13:40:07 (permalink)
Tem4ik
Please keep us posted with 950 Pro installation. Hope you got a decent airflow in your case, considering throttling issue with this drive.

Yes I will keep you posted.
I've got 3 140mm Phanteks pushing in through a big rad and another 2 exhausting so should be ok.
At the moment in a Fractal Define S case.
One small issue I had was the corsair link controlling my commander mini.
It sort of worked ok until I installed the drivers for USB. Now it's pretty rubbish. Although it's always been buggy but now it's more so and won't pick up the D5 pump. It took an OS reinstall to even get that far...

I'm sitting on 1.25 volts at 4.6 now with no probs. That was the initial stab at it so I still need to tweak things a lot.
The volts don't ever change though and it is on adaptive, which is a puzzle.
When I changed the EK water block internals for 2011 I missed a bit. So the flow was bad. Fixed it now and temps are good.

One question.
Idle temps are 39, full load is 65, but core temps are 28, package is 39. I don't quite understand this. Maybe I need to fix thermal paste or something? Maybe it's normal.

Oh, a lot of software was buggy until I changed the pcie to gen 2 in bios, I've got an R9 280oc.
Tem4ik
  • Total Posts : 14
Re: EVGA X99 Micro2! 2015/11/08 01:27:31 (permalink)

That's normal, all Micro2 owners have their package temps around 10C higher than CPU temps.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile