EVGA

EVGA SC17 Laptop - Keyboard Frozen / PrecisionX Related issues?

Author
Mayora13
  • Total Posts : 52
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2021/03/16 01:11:39 (permalink)
Hi Everyone,

I have this issue that has been going on for quite some time, but I just posted it today.
I think it is related to software PrecisionX Mobile (But I cannot not use it because that is the only fan control I have, Max fan. Manual control setup also didnt work).
I've tried Precision X1 but the fan control doesnt seem to work.

The issues are:
1. When gaming, sometime the whole keyboard just turned off (but USB plugged device such as mouse works fine)
. All the keyboard light that is on, cannot be turned off (e.g. Num lock / Caps lock) and holding down power button does nothing
. In this state, I can exit game / even go back to desktop using the mouse, but the PrecisioX mobile doesnt seem to work too, Cant turn off the Maximum Fan mode or anything else
. Turning off / restarting the laptop also wont work, it would just stuck in a turning off loading screen forever
. The only way to restart the laptop is by using a pin and click the "reset button in a hole" above the power button

2. Another issue is when I double-click the PrecisionX icon to start it, sometimes it would just get stuck there
. Nothing is opening and the other things would not work too. Keyboard stop functioning too just like above case
. I have to again use the "reset button in a hole" above the power button, to restart the laptop

I cant find this issue online but I read something where the laptop is drawing too much power and it automatically turned off some parts to reduce power usage.
But its quite stupid to turn off the keyboard and it seems that it made the laptop unusable. Maybe this is not even the issue with my case.
Anyway, I dont know what is happening but it happens constantly every now and then. Not sure what actually triggers it.
It can happen in a game or even with only chrome open too. But I highly suspect that it is related to PrecisionX Mobile.

My laptops spec:
- EVGA SC17
- Graphic card: GTX 1070 with G-Sync
- OS version: 10.0.19041 Build 19041 (Not the latest, I restore to this version because the latest would always get Blue Screen when opening Epic Games)
- Bios version: 1.07 (I believe its the latest for this EVGA laptop)

Is there any solution? Can someone help me?
Thank you.
post edited by Mayora13 - 2021/03/16 01:27:48

20 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: EVGA SC17 Laptop - Keyboard Frozen / PrecisionX Related issues? 2021/03/16 09:44:21 (permalink)
    Canned air & vacuum to remove any dust bunnies, that could impact airflow

try a USB KB yet ?

place laptop on a cooler .. to see if its a temp related issue

What power setting in OS & Nvidia Control Panel - are you using ?

limit CPU & GPU to keep it cooler & see what happens

lower your Nv Control panel setting so GPU runs cooler .. to see if its a temp related issue

Might be time for a Fresh OS install .... maybe

scan for malware

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Mayora13
    Re: EVGA SC17 Laptop - Keyboard Frozen / PrecisionX Related issues? 2021/03/16 10:17:54 (permalink)
    Hi Cool GTX, thanks for the reply.

I've tried:
    - Opening the laptop. Doesnt seem to be issue with dust / such
    - Cooled is always plugged in too and always in room with AC (shouldnt be an issue with temp)

As for OS settings, do you mean Power Setting? If so, its on middle (Better Performance)
    As for Nvidia setting, which setting do you mean?
    Malware was also scanned and its fine.

I highly suspect that it is related to "EVGA PrecisionX Mobile".
    There is something that I want to try, when the Keyboard froze, often I could still use my mouse and do things (except I cant restart or shutdown normally).
    Is there a way to restart the keyboard and those functions that stopped working?
    By the way, ending EVGA PrecisionX Mobile from Task Manager didnt work.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: EVGA SC17 Laptop - Keyboard Frozen / PrecisionX Related issues? 2021/03/16 13:05:03 (permalink)
    There is a BIOS hack to add fan control in the BIOS so that you don't need to use Precision X Mobile to control the fans. Would that be something you are interested in?

By hack, I mean something that is already in the BIOS, but EVGA chose to disable/hide from you by default.  There is a way to make it visible so that you can set it within the BIOS for both the CPU and GPU fans speeds based on CPU and GPU temperature.

post edited by ty_ger07 - 2021/03/17 06:09:59

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Mayora13
    Re: EVGA SC17 Laptop - Keyboard Frozen / PrecisionX Related issues? 2021/03/17 06:31:11 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    There is a BIOS hack to add fan control in the BIOS so that you don't need to use Precision X Mobile to control the fans. Would that be something you are interested in?

By hack, I mean something that is already in the BIOS, but EVGA chose to disable/hide from you by default.  There is a way to make it visible so that you can set it within the BIOS for both the CPU and GPU fans speeds based on CPU and GPU temperature.

Yes, I would love to try that. I really only use the PrecisionX for the fan control.
    How can I do that?
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: EVGA SC17 Laptop - Keyboard Frozen / PrecisionX Related issues? 2021/03/17 15:46:44 (permalink)
    Yeah, no problem.  It's been a while.  Let me try to remember....  I mean, I remember how to do it, but I have to remember how to explain the details of each step.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2021/03/17 15:52:03

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: EVGA SC17 Laptop - Keyboard Frozen / PrecisionX Related issues? 2021/03/17 16:27:42 (permalink)
    I found a previous post I made.
    https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2980288

Here is an updated/edited/better explanation for you:

EVGA hid some items in the BIOS.  Some were hidden for a reason (probably because they don't work, or were never fully implemented).  So, if you unhide all option, don't expect all of them to work.  And don't mess around too much with stuff you choose to unhide, since you might run into bugs when changing stuff which EVGA originally hid for good reason.

I chose to only un-hide the fan control.  But, if you choose to also unhide other things, that's up to you.

Here are the files you need:
    https://1drv.ms/f/s!ApkWTc0awc-EogA13dotzzuRLrxz

AMIBCP_v5.0.1.zip is the AMIBCP program which you use to edit the BIOS.  If you don't trust the file from me, you can Google it and download it elsewhere.  But, I don't think that there are any official sources, so I think you can trust me just as much as anyone else.  The program appears to be a leaked program which I think wasn't supposed to be publicly available.
    SC17_1070_4KG_flashtool_106.zip and SC17_1070_4KG_flashtool_107.zip contain the Version 1.06 and 1.07 BIOS .bin files, which I obtained from EVGA, for the SC17 1070 4K Gsync model (the model I own; download your BIOS from EVGA, if for a different laptop model ... or if you don't trust it coming from me). I recommend using the 1.07 BIOS.
    FPT11.rar is the FPT program you can use for flashing the modified BIOS onto your laptop.  This program is optional.  You don't need to use the FPT program, and can instead update your laptop from within your laptop's BIOS interface.

Four simple pictures:

1) The folder structure.

2) Open the .bin BIOS file in AMIBCP.

3) Modify the fan control area to be visible to "USER".

4) Save the modified BIOS.

Then, use FPT to flash the updated/modified BIOS to your laptop.  Follow a guide for how to use FPT, if you can't figure it out.  OR ... probably better, don't use FPT at all. You can put the modified .bin BIOS file onto a USB stick, reboot into your BIOS interface, use the the BIOS's "update from file" option inside the SC17 BIOS interface, and flash the modified BIOS from the USB stick to your laptop.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

These are the fan control settings which work well for me:

It takes a little bit of time playing around with it to understand what Temperature and Temperature (Down) means and what works well.  Like I said, above is what I settled on.  It seems that my screenshots above missed "Level 4", but once you see the pattern, Level 4 becomes pretty obvious.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2021/03/17 17:16:16

Mayora13
    Re: EVGA SC17 Laptop - Keyboard Frozen / PrecisionX Related issues? 2021/03/18 03:49:21 (permalink)

Thank you for your reply & explanation. 
    It'd be great if those can finally work. Although I'm used to the super loud fan noise, It will be nice to have some peaceful quiet gaming for less demanding games.

Btw, I'll be asking several question. Sorry for asking a lot.
    - Is it risky to change things in Bios? 
    I'm afraid if something happened, I might not be able to fix it.

- Do you still use PrecisionX, Precision X1 or other EVGA software?
    I have to use both X & X1, because is I uninstalled X1, PrecisionX wont work. Tried it before. It requires some files from X1, not sure which one.

- Do you overclock / downclock the laptop?
    Is there a way to go back / check the default value? I might have played around with it when I first got it.

- I really feel that there is something wrong with PrecisionX (v.1.0.8)
    . Recently, Windows updated to latest update and I start getting BSOD (As mentioned above initially)
    . Kept getting BSOD when opening Epic Games. So I rolled back to previous version.
    . Yesterday, Windows updated to the latest update again and things were fine.
    . Today, after looking at your reply and reading from the forums about fan / precisionX, I opened my precisionx to check the version, then BSOD again.

Thank you.
    post edited by Mayora13 - 2021/03/18 04:21:21
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: EVGA SC17 Laptop - Keyboard Frozen / PrecisionX Related issues? 2021/03/18 05:08:03 (permalink)
    Mayora13
    Btw, I'll be asking several question. Sorry for asking a lot.
    - Is it risky to change things in Bios? 
    I'm afraid if something happened, I might not be able to fix it.

Updating the BIOS (the instructions above) is somewhat risky, yes.  But once you update it, there's not a lot of risk changing things.  If you want to change something, just read up on what that change does before you do it.

You can always reset to factory defaults, and that will change everything back.

- Do you still use PrecisionX, Precision X1 or other EVGA software?
    I have to use both X & X1, because is I uninstalled X1, PrecisionX wont work. Tried it before. It requires some files from X1, not sure which one.

No, I do not use Precision X or Precision X Mobile.

The GPU and CPU can be overclocked in the BIOS, and that is better, in my opinion.

I have been using MSI Afterburner on my SC17 lately though to adjust the video card frequency/voltage curve for mining efficiency.  I know, I know.

- Do you overclock / downclock the laptop?
    Is there a way to go back / check the default value? I might have played around with it when I first got it.

I have my video card (GPU) and CPU underclocked.  It's a matter of preference.

If you want to reset them to default, just uninstall Precision X Mobile, Precision, MSI Afterburner, or whatever, reboot, and then reset the BIOS to factory default.  Everything will be default again.

- I really feel that there is something wrong with PrecisionX (v.1.0.8)

I have felt that there is something wrong with Precision X forever.  I have never not felt that there is something wrong with it.  That's why I don't use it.

Mayora13
    Re: EVGA SC17 Laptop - Keyboard Frozen / PrecisionX Related issues? 2021/03/19 01:38:46 (permalink)
    I see. Thanks for your help ty_ger07. 
    I dont quite understand those mining stuff. Only heard about it but never actually research / try it.
    Well, man gotta do what they gotta do right. Mining and whatnot =)

I'll leave my laptop as it is for now, too worried to attempt that Bios edit.
    If I starts getting BSOD or those PrecisionX related issues again, I will then attempt it.
    At least I know what to try now.
    Mayora13
    Re: EVGA SC17 Laptop - Keyboard Frozen / PrecisionX Related issues? 2021/03/23 07:38:20 (permalink)
    One more question ty_ger07, is the battery drain ever get any fix from EVGA?

And recently there was an Nvidia update. That seems to fix the issue with PrecisionX I mentioned above.
    Havent froze and BSOD since then. 
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: EVGA SC17 Laptop - Keyboard Frozen / PrecisionX Related issues? 2021/03/23 15:27:15 (permalink)
    Mayora13
    One more question ty_ger07, is the battery drain ever get any fix from EVGA?

Nope.

I have my battery removed in order to prevent it from being damaged and damaging the rest of my SC17 in the process.

Mayora13
    Re: EVGA SC17 Laptop - Keyboard Frozen / PrecisionX Related issues? 2021/03/25 01:41:40 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Nope.

I have my battery removed in order to prevent it from being damaged and damaging the rest of my SC17 in the process.

So this laptop can power from the power brick alone? But if battery is left alone to discharge, most probably it wont charge anymore when you eventually want to use it.
    And what do you mean damaging the rest of the SC17?
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: EVGA SC17 Laptop - Keyboard Frozen / PrecisionX Related issues? 2021/03/25 07:22:39 (permalink)
    Mayora13
    So this laptop can power from the power brick alone?

Yes, definitely.  I have had mine running for months without the battery installed.  It beats the alternative.
    From an electrical design standpoint, removing the battery is not an optimal solution.  The charger wire is long, the charger doesn't have a feedback pin, the voltage undershoot and overshoot will happen as load changes (especially because of the long cable and lack of adequate voltage and current sensing through that long cable), and extra stress will be put on the charger without the battery present to absorb short spikes.  It's not a great solution, but it is better than the battery swelling, breaking your trackpad, or starting on fire.
    But if battery is left alone to discharge, most probably it wont charge anymore when you eventually want to use it.

If you leave the battery in the laptop, with the laptop off, and you don't plug the laptop in, the battery discharges in a week.  If you charge the battery up to 50% and then remove the battery from the laptop, the battery will discharge WAY WAY slower than a week.  It's actually more harmful to the battery to have the battery left in the laptop (and more harmful to the laptop) than for the battery to be removed from the laptop.  I think you could probably leave the battery on the shelf for years without it discharging completely.  The laptop is primarily what is discharging the battery.

A fully charged lithium battery is not extremely stable (don't leave the laptop off, the battery installed, and with the charger plugged in).  And a fully discharged lithium battery is not extremely stable (don't leave the laptop off, the battery installed, and the charger unplugged).  Since neither of those are good, what do you do?  Remove the battery.  Charging the battery to 50%, removing the battery, and storing it at that 50% is good.  40% is better, but 50% allows for it to discharge a bit and still be well in the optimal voltage range.  Too much charge or too little charge increases the electron migration and degradation.
    And what do you mean damaging the rest of the SC17?

Multiple people have had the battery swell and break their track pad.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2021/03/25 07:34:36

Spirery1070
    • Total Posts : 44
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: EVGA SC17 Laptop - Keyboard Frozen / PrecisionX Related issues? 2021/03/25 13:13:47 (permalink)
    Took my battery out months ago as it started too swell just runs off power now.

EVGA SC17 4K i7 GTX 1070 GSYNC

Mayora13
    Re: EVGA SC17 Laptop - Keyboard Frozen / PrecisionX Related issues? 2021/03/28 01:15:14 (permalink)
    Oh no.. Didnt know that the battery issue is quite serious. Battery drain is bad enough, but also possible explosion danger.

I will try to take out and see how it is.
    My concern is that when I took it out, if the electricity fluctuates (Less than what the laptop consume), then it would turn off suddenly. Bad for laptop.
    It happened with my old laptop. Battery dead, so runs only on power. But every now and then, it could turn off by itself (like when overheating, but definitely not overheating).
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: EVGA SC17 Laptop - Keyboard Frozen / PrecisionX Related issues? 2021/03/28 12:20:11 (permalink)
    Mayora13
    My concern is that when I took it out, if the electricity fluctuates (Less than what the laptop consume), then it would turn off suddenly. Bad for laptop.
    It happened with my old laptop. Battery dead, so runs only on power. But every now and then, it could turn off by itself (like when overheating, but definitely not overheating).

Mine has been running 24/7 for months mining. It hasn't shut off yet.

Mayora13
    Re: EVGA SC17 Laptop - Keyboard Frozen / PrecisionX Related issues? 2021/03/31 04:38:35 (permalink)
    So it happened again, the keyboard frozen issue.

I'll try to re-explain the issue again, maybe someone can explain what it is to me:
    - I was gaming normally (Fan manual - running max, keyboard backlight on, etc)
    - Then suddenly my character kept moving forward, thats when I know it happened again
    - In this state, keyboard stopped functioning (backlight still on, fan still running max), mouse working normal
    - Can still play game perfectly fine, but with the keyboard stopped functioning, I wont be able to play anyway (Imagine playing FPS game without keyboard WASD)
    - So with mouse, I can turn off game and do other normal function that mouse can perform (I programmed my mouse with esc and some necessary keyboard function, due to this issue)
    - But once back to desktop, I cant turn off fan in EVGA PrecisionX, cant do keyboard related stuff (havent try usb keyboard yet)

- All the rest works normally. Can open folder, open another game, play a movie, browse the internet, etc. But again, keyboard still dead and cant turn off fan that I turned on before the issue
    - Also cant shutdown / restart laptop (screen would turn off with backlight and fan still running). It will stay this way till battery is dead probably. Tried waiting before for sometime and it kept going
    - The only way to restart without opening the laptop is by using the Cmos reset button (above the power button)

So are the symptoms above familiar to anyone?
    I hope I'm not the only one with this issue.

** By the way, is using the CMOS reset button constantly bad for the laptop (E.g. lets assume this issue happen every 2 weeks, so I will have to CMOS reset it).
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: EVGA SC17 Laptop - Keyboard Frozen / PrecisionX Related issues? 2021/03/31 07:09:14 (permalink)
    Mayora13
    So are the symptoms above familiar to anyone?

Nope.  I don't use Precision X Mobile, so I don't have these issues.

Mayora13
    Re: EVGA SC17 Laptop - Keyboard Frozen / PrecisionX Related issues? 2021/03/31 09:18:47 (permalink)
    It happened again just now. Playing a different game this time.
    Forgot to mention that whatever was last clicked on the keyboard before it froze, it will be as if it is clicked forever.
    So whatever I can do with the computer using the mouse, that last keyboard click will be as if I'm still clicking it.

I also found out in task manager that "Antimalware Service Executable" / Windows Defender is using 500+ mb memory after it happened again.
    Idk if its normally that high / if it has anything to do with this issue.

Any of the EVGA staff / mods / other users know what is going on?
    If I dont know what this is, it would be hard to avoid / even fixing it.
    Is there a specific name / term to this issue?

@ty_ger07 I might have to attempt the Bios fan fix to try and avoid using PrecisionX. Will try this weekend.
    BizSAR
    EGC Lead Admin / EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 1712
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: EVGA SC17 Laptop - Keyboard Frozen / PrecisionX Related issues? 2021/04/05 03:42:10 (permalink)
    Have you tried resetting/reinstalling Windows?
    Otherwise, if it's a hardware issue, you could try contacting EVGA, but I'm guessing the laptop is out of warranty.

BizSAR
    EVGA 3090Ti FTW3 Ultra / ZOTAC 4070Ti Trinity OC - ASUS ROG PG279QM
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile