EVGA

Helpful ReplySC17 1070 GSYNC Linux Experience (for the curious)

Author
acefrozen1
  • Total Posts : 41
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
2019/04/03 13:57:53 (permalink)
I finally got around to trying Linux on this laptop, and it went surprisingly well. I tested a few of the most popular distros and desktop environments according to DistroWatch. 

Distros tested (Desktop Environment):
  • Mint (Cinnamon)
  • Ubuntu (Gnome)
  • Manjaro (KDE)
  • MX Linux (XFCE)
  • Sabayon (MATE)

Pros:
  • Sound worked out of box on all distros tested
  • Network worked out of box on all distros tested, including wireless and bluetooth
  • All keyboard functions (brightness, volume control, etc) worked on all distros without issue out of box
  • No issues with NVME/USB or any other hardware on any distro tested
  • Full 4k resolution worked out of box with no issues on all distros without fighting Xorg
  • SteamPlay/Wine/PlayOnLinux all worked well on all tested distros (after use of proprietary Nvidia drivers)

Cons:
  • No Precision X Mobile (may be possible through wine or equiv, but was not tested)
  • No custom fanspeed and therefore potential overheat issues (unless you use a modified bios and set fanspeeds there, as i had to)
  • Xorg cannot read the screen EDID and therefore will not support any resolution below 4k, and will not maintain any scaled resolutions below 4k without panning after system restart even when specified by startup script or xorg.conf changes. Even when forcing EDID with a dumped EDID.BIN extra resolutions are not supported
  • MUST use proprietary Nvidia driver, open source driver had issues with 3D performance
  • HiDPI scaling needed tweaked on all DE for proper display of text/windows

All in all, not a bad experience. Native Linux games ran flawlessly, and Wine/Proton/PlayOnLinux were able to get several Windows games running at playable levels with surprisingly few issues. Strongly recommend sticking to more mainstream distros for their more up to date hardware support/updates. 

DESKTOP: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4.5ghz | Asus ROG GTX 1080TI | 1200w EVGA Supernova P2 with EVGA white sleeved cables | 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 @3600 | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | Rosewill Cullinan | Garuda Linux

LAPTOP: Asus ROG G513QY AMD Advantage Edition | Garuda Linux

WORKSTATION: HP Z600 | 2x Intel Xeon x5675 @3.2ghz | EVGA GTX 1060 6gb | 24gb Corsair DDR3 ECC | AlmaLinux

SERVER: Lenovo Thinkstation | Intel Xeon E5-1650 v4 @3.6ghz | 32gb DDR4 ECC | Ubuntu Server

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30972
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: SC17 1070 GSYNC Linux Experience (for the curious) 2019/04/03 13:59:47 (permalink)
Thanks for sharing your results

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

saccaed
  • Total Posts : 56
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: SC17 1070 GSYNC Linux Experience (for the curious) 2019/04/09 18:09:11 (permalink)
Thanks for sharing. This is something I'm working on myself. I want to workout single gpu KVM before I switch. Nice to know that Linux worked without much issue.
CertifiedBlyndGuy
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: SC17 1070 GSYNC Linux Experience (for the curious) 2019/08/04 19:53:11 (permalink)
I don't mean to Necro this thread, but I've had pretty bad overheating issues on Linux and was wondering how you were able to enable the custom fan curve in your BIOS.

I used afudos to back my BIOS up and the AMI tools to edit it, but afudos won't flash it.

I actually ended up bricking it with attempting to force a flash with Intel's FTP software but I used the programmer I have to revive it (though it took me forever to do lol).

Any guidance would be appreciated if you still even check these forums
ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21170
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: SC17 1070 GSYNC Linux Experience (for the curious) 2019/08/04 20:34:26 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby acefrozen1 2019/08/15 17:26:17
Look at post #9 of this thread for instructions on how to access the BIOS fan curve screen:
https://forums.evga.com/SC15-Upgraded-HDD-to-SSD-now-only-in-SATA-2-mode-m2824025.aspx#2824361

As stated, not all items EVGA hid work properly.  Some were hidden for a reason.  So, if you unhide all, don't expect all to work.  And don't mess around too much since you might run into bugs when changing stuff which EVGA originally hid for good reason.

I chose to only un-hide the fan control (set access for just it to "USER" instead of "default").  But, you do as you see fit.

Here is all you need:
https://1drv.ms/f/s!ApkWTc0awc-EogA13dotzzuRLrxz
AMIBCP program for editing the BIOS.
Version 1.06 and 1.07 BIOS .bin files from EVGA for the SC17 1070 4K Gsync model (model I own; download your own BIOS from EVGA if different).
Modify (when opening the BIOS .bin file, change the file type AMIBCP looks for) and save the BIOS as you see fit.
FPT program for flashing the modified BIOS back to your laptop.

Four simple pictures:

1) The folder structure.

2) Open the .bin BIOS file in AMIBCP.

3) Modify the fan control area to be visible to "USER".

4) Save the modified BIOS.

Then, just follow a guide for using FPT if you can't figure it out.

OR ... probably better, don't use FPT at all. You can put the modified .bin BIOS file onto a USB stick and then execute the BIOS update from file option inside the SC17 BIOS menu system.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2019/08/04 21:22:46

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

CertifiedBlyndGuy
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: SC17 1070 GSYNC Linux Experience (for the curious) 2019/08/05 06:28:41 (permalink)
ty_ger07
Look at post #9 of this thread for instructions on how to access the BIOS fan curve screen:

As stated, not all items EVGA hid work properly.  Some were hidden for a reason.  So, if you unhide all, don't expect all to work.  And don't mess around too much since you might run into bugs when changing stuff which EVGA originally hid for good reason.

I chose to only un-hide the fan control (set access for just it to "USER" instead of "default").  But, you do as you see fit.

Here is all you need:

AMIBCP program for editing the BIOS.
Version 1.06 and 1.07 BIOS .bin files from EVGA for the SC17 1070 4K Gsync model (model I own; download your own BIOS from EVGA if different).
Modify (when opening the BIOS .bin file, change the file type AMIBCP looks for) and save the BIOS as you see fit.
FPT program for flashing the modified BIOS back to your laptop.

Four simple pictures:

1) The folder structure.

2) Open the .bin BIOS file in AMIBCP.

3) Modify the fan control area to be visible to "USER".

4) Save the modified BIOS.

Then, just follow a guide for using FPT if you can't figure it out.

OR ... probably better, don't use FPT at all. You can put the modified .bin BIOS file onto a USB stick and then execute the BIOS update from file option inside the SC17 BIOS menu system.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. It all worked amazingly well.

Have a great day :)
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 30972
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: SC17 1070 GSYNC Linux Experience (for the curious) 2019/08/05 07:02:30 (permalink)
thanks ty_ger07

Very Good Advise: --->  "As stated, not all items EVGA hid work properly.  Some were hidden for a reason.  So, if you unhide all, don't expect all to work.  And don't mess around too much since you might run into bugs when changing stuff which EVGA originally hid for good reason."

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile