EVGA

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra overheating. Cannot cool this card no matter what.

Author
Thekelz
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2023/02/05 01:09:28 (permalink)
Hi everyone.

Basically the title. Purchased a second hand card, but it's the hottest card I've ever had. I even already had a technician look at it and he said everything (thermal pads and thermal paste) looks fine (EDIT: he was wrong it seems), but this card still keeps overheating. What I mean is that it's enough to open a game and don't do anything, temps just rise to 84 (the stock limit) and then the card starts throttling heavily and fans ramp up to 100%. I already tried opening the case, changing intake/exhaust fans setup, even had 2 big coolers blowing on to the card, but the card doesn't care about those and keeps overheating. I tried to change the thermal paste and there was one occasion when I actually fixed the overheating by applying the paste through "pie" method (without covering the whole surface). That was when I assembled my card and it would hold steady 62-65c in games and Furmark as well. But people keep saying you should cover the whole die/surface with the thermal paste, otherwise you risk damaging the card, so I re-pasted it, but now it's overheating and re-pasting again doesn't help.

Any ideas? I have no warranty and certainly EVGA is not gonna accept the card back. I could sell it but it overheats, so the buyer will notice it quickly and won't take the card.
post edited by Thekelz - 2023/02/05 09:08:25

6 Replies Related Threads

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra overheating. Cannot cool this card no matter what. 2023/02/05 06:21:57 (permalink)
    If you fixed it with a repaste before, you should be able to fix it with a repaste again.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Thekelz
    Re: EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra overheating. Cannot cool this card no matter what. 2023/02/05 06:23:56 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    If you fixed it with a repaste before, you should be able to fix it with a repaste again.

I have been repasting this card the whole day today, couldn't get it to the same performance no matter what I did. And now I have no thermal paste as well. Seems like there is something wrong with the card and the last hope I have is to undervolt. 

Thanks anyway.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra overheating. Cannot cool this card no matter what. 2023/02/05 06:37:51 (permalink)
    Maybe you have wrong thermal pad thickness in some area, or an extra thermal pad somewhere where there isn't supposed to be a thermal pad. If you were able to mount it well enough to drop the temperature nearly 20 degrees one time, you should be able to do it again. It is probably something simple that is being overlooked.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
    My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra overheating. Cannot cool this card no matter what. 2023/02/05 09:03:10 (permalink)
    What kind of display(s) are you using & what resolution & refresh rate?

run PX1  software & make sure "Boost Lock" is not ON & set your fans to run on a curve before card gets too hot

Are the GPU clock, Voltage, power target, RAM clock set at Zero?

run GPU-Z then open Sensor tab & gather some details

Room temp?

keeping the heatsink flat on GPU when assembling is critical

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Thekelz
    Re: EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra overheating. Cannot cool this card no matter what. 2023/02/05 09:07:42 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Maybe you have wrong thermal pad thickness in some area, or an extra thermal pad somewhere where there isn't supposed to be a thermal pad. If you were able to mount it well enough to drop the temperature nearly 20 degrees one time, you should be able to do it again. It is probably something simple that is being overlooked.

Cool GTX
    What kind of display(s) are you using & what resolution & refresh rate?

run PX1  software & make sure "Boost Lock" is not ON & set your fans to run on a curve before card gets too hot

Are the GPU clock, Voltage, power target, RAM clock set at Zero?

run GPU-Z then open Sensor tab & gather some details

Room temp?

keeping the heatsink flat on GPU when assembling is critical

Thank you guys from chiming in. I want to tell you that I found the reason and on my way to fix it. Basically, this card has bad thermal pads which are in need of changing, but also, I just purchased MX-6 thermal paste and now my card is still hot, but not overheating anymore. With the case open, it stops at 70c, with it closed, it's at 76c and for now doesn't seem to be going higher (still need to test more). Thanks again!

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: EVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra overheating. Cannot cool this card no matter what. 2023/02/05 09:18:09 (permalink)
    give an update once you have new pads installed

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile