Helpful ReplyEVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS

Page: << < ..106107108109110.. > >> Showing page 107 of 240
Author
Dabadger84
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3426
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 10
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/12/20 12:06:29 (permalink)
Kylearan

Are you still getting that 6500C alert on the latest drivers?

Yes, unfortunately.

ModRigs: https://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=42891  
Specs:
5950x @ 4.7GHz 1.3V - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero - eVGA 1200W P2 - 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal Silver @ 3800 CL14
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC w/ Core: 2850MHz @ 1000mV, Mem: +1500MHz - Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Super-Ultrawide 240Hz Monitor

arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6916
  • Ribbons : 76
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/12/20 12:34:15 (permalink)
andressergio
**Question about Hybrid Kit, PX1 and BIOS**

So I wonder...now that I have the RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid kit on the way I will have to use New PX1 versions and FTW3 BIOS no more XC3 unless there's other way to connect the pump. Those who installed it how you did it?

Thank You!

There really isn't any need to flash a hybrid VBIOS - if there were, you bet EVGA would be making that statement either in the literature or via email to their purchasers (cover their butts kinda thing). The pump is designed to run at 100% all the time, no matter what you'd want to set it at.

With that said, I used the XC3 VBIOS without issue with my hybrid kit, but I did offload the two radiator fans to a fan controller and have them controlled still by GPU temperature (NZXT fan controller, NZXT CAM software). This keeps the fans from winding down and then spinning back up which would be annoying.

Later I did flash the 3090 FTW3 Ultra Hybrid VBIOS to my card and installed the latest PX1 firmware and updated the MCU (the MCU is what controls the pump/fans - which would be the only pertinent thing about this particular process). I then re-flashed the XC3 VBIOS to get back the performance that my card always loses on any other VBIOS due to absurd levels of power throttling even as low as 380W, and stopped using PX1 as it is junk on top of the fact that it would want to flash the XC3 MCU to my card (and possibly cause a bad time).

The temperature results were the same pre and post MCU update.
post edited by arestavo - 2020/12/20 12:37:12
Dabadger84
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/12/20 14:03:42 (permalink)
arestavo
There really isn't any need to flash a hybrid VBIOS - if there were, you bet EVGA would be making that statement either in the literature or via email to their purchasers (cover their butts kinda thing). The pump is designed to run at 100% all the time, no matter what you'd want to set it at.

With that said, I used the XC3 VBIOS without issue with my hybrid kit, but I did offload the two radiator fans to a fan controller and have them controlled still by GPU temperature (NZXT fan controller, NZXT CAM software). This keeps the fans from winding down and then spinning back up which would be annoying.

Later I did flash the 3090 FTW3 Ultra Hybrid VBIOS to my card and installed the latest PX1 firmware and updated the MCU (the MCU is what controls the pump/fans - which would be the only pertinent thing about this particular process). I then re-flashed the XC3 VBIOS to get back the performance that my card always loses on any other VBIOS due to absurd levels of power throttling even as low as 380W, and stopped using PX1 as it is junk on top of the fact that it would want to flash the XC3 MCU to my card (and possibly cause a bad time).

Is there a step by step procedure to try out the XC3 BIOS?  I'd like to give it a try & see how it performs on my card since I am having the issue of not being able to get anywhere near the 500W Power Limit in basically anything not called TimeSpy.
Do I just use the flasher that eVGA has up, or do I need to manually do it with NVFlash?

Specs:
5950x @ 4.7GHz 1.3V - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero - eVGA 1200W P2 - 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal Silver @ 3800 CL14
Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC w/ Core: 2850MHz @ 1000mV, Mem: +1500MHz - Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Super-Ultrawide 240Hz Monitor

arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/12/20 14:29:18 (permalink)
Dabadger84
Is there a step by step procedure to try out the XC3 BIOS?  I'd like to give it a try & see how it performs on my card since I am having the issue of not being able to get anywhere near the 500W Power Limit in basically anything not called TimeSpy.
Do I just use the flasher that eVGA has up, or do I need to manually do it with NVFlash?

Manually flash

Nvflash64 -6 name.rom

Reboot. Reboot again after the driver gets reloaded. You'll need to dial in a new benchmark offset and a new gaming offset for the GPU, very likely.

Don't let PX1 update your MCU firmware. Or just use AB.
post edited by arestavo - 2020/12/20 14:32:29
andressergio
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 272
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/12/20 15:41:08 (permalink)
Thank you very much for your reply!

Intel Core i9-7980XE 4.8GHz 18C/18TH DDC
ASRock X299 OC Formula
XPG D60G (4x8GB) DDR4-3800C16 B-Die 
1x Intel Optane SSD 905P 480GB U2
3x Sabrent ROCKET NVME 4TB SSD
3x HP EX950 2TB NVME 2TB SSD
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA Gaming PCB rev 1.0 
Alphacool Custom Water Cooling Parts
SilverStone ST1500-TI TITANIUM Fully Modular PSU
Acer Predator X38 3840x1600 175Hz NVIDIA G-SYNC
Benchtable

Windows 10 64 Bit Pro Version 21H1 Build 19043.1288
EVGA PX1 v1.2.6 & NVIDIA Drivers 496.49
andressergio
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 272
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/12/20 15:42:27 (permalink)
arestavo
andressergio
**Question about Hybrid Kit, PX1 and BIOS**

So I wonder...now that I have the RTX 3090 FTW3 Hybrid kit on the way I will have to use New PX1 versions and FTW3 BIOS no more XC3 unless there's other way to connect the pump. Those who installed it how you did it?

Thank You!

Thanks a lot for taking the time to explain all bro!

Intel Core i9-7980XE 4.8GHz 18C/18TH DDC
ASRock X299 OC Formula
XPG D60G (4x8GB) DDR4-3800C16 B-Die 
1x Intel Optane SSD 905P 480GB U2
3x Sabrent ROCKET NVME 4TB SSD
3x HP EX950 2TB NVME 2TB SSD
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA Gaming PCB rev 1.0 
Alphacool Custom Water Cooling Parts
SilverStone ST1500-TI TITANIUM Fully Modular PSU
Acer Predator X38 3840x1600 175Hz NVIDIA G-SYNC
Benchtable

Windows 10 64 Bit Pro Version 21H1 Build 19043.1288
EVGA PX1 v1.2.6 & NVIDIA Drivers 496.49
noshoesworld
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/12/20 15:43:28 (permalink)
Hi all,

I've been encountering a strange issue lately that mostly occurs when opening power limit, or simply putting my system under a heavy sustained load like 4K Ultra MSFS 2020. It seems as though my 1000W Phanteks Revolt X is experiencing a trip of over-current protection, this is with the October vbios release (I don't know if there has since been an update?) The computer completely powers down and does not self-reboot - however the motherboard lights always seem to stay on and I can usually just press the power button to restart, and if not I flip switch @ psu and I'm good to reboot. I have heard of RTX 3000 cards encountering these issues with power supplies when there is a certain spike in draw, but 1000W Platinum should certainly be enough no? I have considered that this power supply is built to support two systems, but have to imagine that it's default operating mode is to provide power to whatever is primarily pulling from it. If anyone has feedback I would greatly appreciate it, the card appears to operate wonderfully so I really suspect the issue is the power supply. I have a 1200W incoming to test this theory.

Thanks,

-nsw
arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/12/20 15:54:49 (permalink)
noshoesworld
Hi all,

I've been encountering a strange issue lately that mostly occurs when opening power limit, or simply putting my system under a heavy sustained load like 4K Ultra MSFS 2020. It seems as though my 1000W Phanteks Revolt X is experiencing a trip of over-current protection, this is with the October vbios release (I don't know if there has since been an update?) The computer completely powers down and does not self-reboot - however the motherboard lights always seem to stay on and I can usually just press the power button to restart, and if not I flip switch @ psu and I'm good to reboot. I have heard of RTX 3000 cards encountering these issues with power supplies when there is a certain spike in draw, but 1000W Platinum should certainly be enough no? I have considered that this power supply is built to support two systems, but have to imagine that it's default operating mode is to provide power to whatever is primarily pulling from it. If anyone has feedback I would greatly appreciate it, the card appears to operate wonderfully so I really suspect the issue is the power supply. I have a 1200W incoming to test this theory.

Thanks,

-nsw

Depends on the age of the PSU. The caps will likely degrade with time and not be able to handle those spikes, and the PC shuts off/reboots. If it's a new PSU, and if a new one fixes the problem, that then points to a PSU that wasn't well designed.

However, I've had reboots - not full shutdowns - when overclocking too high (GPU core and VRAM), and from drivers (460.97 hotfix ones cause the PC to reboot under load occasionally - 460.79 no such issue). This was on a 1600W Titanium PSU for reference.
noshoesworld
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/12/20 16:01:15 (permalink)
arestavo
noshoesworld
Hi all,

Thanks,

-nsw

Depends on the age of the PSU. The caps will likely degrade with time and not be able to handle those spikes, and the PC shuts off/reboots. If it's a new PSU, and if a new one fixes the problem, that then points to a PSU that wasn't well designed.

However, I've had reboots - not full shutdowns - when overclocking too high (GPU core and VRAM), and from drivers (460.97 hotfix ones cause the PC to reboot under load occasionally - 460.79 no such issue). This was on a 1600W Titanium PSU for reference.

Under these circumstances, I am not positive that it's a driver issue as I have tried a couple rollbacks with no luck. The PSU is brand new and I believe that Phanteks PSU's are basically reskinned Seasonic products... however I did just see that there is an update to Precision X1 that fixes a lost MCU - don't know if the sensor was related to power but could be significant?
Kylearan
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 288
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/12/20 16:02:20 (permalink)
noshoesworld
Hi all,

Thanks,

-nsw

No, you will need to replace the power supply.

This has nothing to do with the PSU's total capacity--you are not exceeding 1000W--it has to do with the PSU's overcurrent protection system, which is 'tripping' due to a sudden high "spike" in amps load.  This spike makes the PSU think that a surge has occurred and it shuts off to protect the system.  I do not know if this is a Seasonic rebrand, but some Seasonic platforms from the past that used the OCP regulation in the old "X-series" platform, was also used in the early Prime and Focus models, and on OEM's that use Seasonic as their base supplier.  This was not limited to only Seasonic base units (Note: Corsair does NOT make their own PSU's--they add their own hardware to it, but they use Greatwall, FSP, Superflower, Seasonic, etc), but I am not sure if anyone has an exhaustive list of PSU manufacturers and OEM's with units that will trip OCP with Ampere video cards.

Seasonic themselves are allowing RMA's of PSU's under warranty and exchanging them for updated models with more lenient OCP circuitry (I am not sure if they will allow RMA's on units not under warranty, but I saw someone with a Focus Plus Gold (tripping OCP, this is the old model) get an RMA exchange from Seasonic with a Focus GX-850 (no trip, working perfectly, updated OneSeasonic odel), for example.

You would have to contact Phanteks about this and see if they will allow a similar RMA or cross-shipment option so you aren't without a power supply, but don't hold your breath, especially if your unit is out of warranty!
noshoesworld
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/12/20 16:05:34 (permalink)
Kylearan
noshoesworld
Hi all,

Thanks,

-nsw

This has nothing to do with the PSU's total capacity--you are not exceeding 1000W--it has to do with the PSU's overcurrent protection system, which is 'tripping' due to a sudden high "spike" in amps load.  This spike makes the PSU think that a surge has occurred and it shuts off to protect the system.  I do not know if this is a Seasonic rebrand, but some Seasonic platforms from the past that used the OCP regulation in the old "X-series" platform, was also used in the early Prime and Focus models, and on OEM's that use Seasonic as their base supplier.  This was not limited to only Seasonic base units (Note: Corsair does NOT make their own PSU's--they add their own hardware to it, but they use Greatwall, FSP, Superflower, Seasonic, etc), but I am not sure if anyone has an exhaustive list of PSU manufacturers and OEM's with units that will trip OCP with Ampere video cards.

Seasonic themselves are allowing RMA's of PSU's under warranty and exchanging them for updated models with more lenient OCP circuitry (I am not sure if they will allow RMA's on units not under warranty, but I saw someone with a Focus Plus Gold (tripping OCP, this is the old model) get an RMA exchange from Seasonic with a Focus GX-850 (no trip, working perfectly, updated OneSeasonic odel), for example.

You would have to contact Phanteks about this and see if they will allow a similar RMA or cross-shipment option so you aren't without a power supply, but don't hold your breath, especially if your unit is out of warranty!

As I mentioned, I do highly suspect the issue is the PSU - good to know that OCP trips are common, was starting to panic a bit! I don't know if Corsair 1200W option or EVGA 1200 P2 is better... inclined to try to go EVGA, of course. :)
will999999999
  • Total Posts : 86
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/12/20 19:37:37 (permalink)
Is there actually an update to this in the works? I've seen a few comments saying that, but I can't find any sources. I've read too many issues with this BIOS. I want to try overclocking with a 500W limit since I am hitting a wall in my overclocking But not until there's an update.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Z490-E | G.skill 4,000MHz CL16 2x16GB DDR4 | EVGA FTW3 ULTRA RTX 3090 | EVGA Supernova 1,000W G2 | 1TB Sabrent Rocket Q4 M.2, 4TB Samsung 870 EVO 2.5" SATA, 8TB Seagate IronWolf 8TB 7200RPM SATA HDD
tm95ern
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 307
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/12/20 21:52:13 (permalink)
noshoesworld
Kylearan
noshoesworld
Hi all,

Thanks,

-nsw

As I mentioned, I do highly suspect the issue is the PSU - good to know that OCP trips are common, was starting to panic a bit! I don't know if Corsair 1200W option or EVGA 1200 P2 is better... inclined to try to go EVGA, of course. :)

Have the same resultat with à Corsair AX1200i.
What i do notise is that the rgb on MB flickors on-off and requier multipel attempts to start it again.
I blame what is a common issue on the AX1200i well known for man years on the unit and nothing has been done to fix it from either corsair or flextronic to fix it and courtage on med units asswell for some.
I will never take the same risk again with Corsair so i send it to recycle facility and let a BeQuiet DarkPowerPro12 1200w deliver the power in the future.
post edited by tm95ern - 2020/12/21 00:54:24
Mifune
  • Total Posts : 59
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/12/21 12:06:32 (permalink)
Reading through this thread has been eye opening and has made me rethink whether the FTW3 ULTRA 3090 is the best starting point for overclocking a water-cooled system. If you were starting a clean build, would you still go with the FTW3U or choose something else? And, if something else, then what?
Dabadger84
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/12/21 14:07:26 (permalink)
I keep seeing people mentioning firmware updates with precision - I did not get one with my 3090 FTW3 Hybrid. Can anyone else with the same card confirm whether they got a firmware update on first use of the card with precision or not?

Specs:

Dabadger84
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/12/21 14:09:22 (permalink)
Mifune
Reading through this thread has been eye opening and has made me rethink whether the FTW3 ULTRA 3090 is the best starting point for overclocking a water-cooled system. If you were starting a clean build, would you still go with the FTW3U or choose something else? And, if something else, then what?

At this point waiting for a Hydrocopper card would be worth considering. You'll get in queue nice and early if you keep an eye out, and hopefully by the time those hit the market, they'll have a bios update out again etc. & the issues will mostly be fixed.

Specs:

tobincake1471
  • Total Posts : 60
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/12/21 14:10:08 (permalink)
Dabadger84
I keep seeing people mentioning firmware updates with precision - I did not get one with my 3090 FTW3 Hybrid. Can anyone else with the same card confirm whether they got a firmware update on first use of the card with precision or not?

I did.  Same card (3090 FTW3 Ultra converted to Hybrid kit).  First time I launched PX1, I got a firmware update.  That was before I flashed the 2 from Jacob, then the XOC on top.  I'm not sure what the first one was, honestly.  I was so excited to have it installed and set up that I just moved on to flashing the others... Not an ultimately helpful comment here, but I have the same card and got that update.
Edit: I might be crossing threads here, sorry!
post edited by tobincake1471 - 2020/12/21 14:12:13
Mifune
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/12/21 15:14:23 (permalink)
Dabadger84
Mifune

At this point waiting for a Hydrocopper card would be worth considering. You'll get in queue nice and early if you keep an eye out, and hopefully by the time those hit the market, they'll have a bios update out again etc. & the issues will mostly be fixed.

Thanks. I was wondering what the story was with those.
xian65
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/12/21 16:12:20 (permalink)
I was in the same position as you and given the total silence from EVGA, there was no way I was going to jeopardise my build based on hope alone. If I could have, I would have bought the Strix OC but they are seemingly non existent so I went with the MSI Suprim X and have an Alphacool block coming. I would have loved to go the Strix plus the Aqua Computer block with active backplate and the Vision OLED screen (Which is now looking likely to be available for the FTW3 as well).

I would have totally changed direction and stayed with the FTW3 if there was some communication and a guarantee that the power issue would be fixed. Alas, there has not.
Mifune
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/12/21 17:28:05 (permalink)
I was also looking at the Asus Strix OC. But the truth is I will probably end up buying whichever one becomes available since I really have no visibility of what’s in the pipeline.
drunknfoo
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 117
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/12/21 18:04:28 (permalink)
arestavo
Kylearan

Someone said that increasing MSVDD and MVDDC voltages with the classified tool (I believe it was to 1.125v and 1.40v) helped raise the internal power limits that were triggering this throttling on Kingpin cards.

This won't help on your card as you don't have access to these voltages.  The only thing that will address this is an eVGA Bios update or a shunt mod.  Your card is drawing a lot from the PCIE slot, relative to the 8 pins, but it still isn't 100% clear if it's just the PCIE draw limiting you or if it's another power rail.  I know that the Founder's Edition will throttle at 79.9W PCIE Slot (you would only reach this if you shunt modded WITHOUT shunt modding the PCIE slot), even though the vbios dump says the PCIE limit is 86.2W...

The "good" thing is that your TDP and TDP Normalized are very close to each other at least, so the rails "think" they are balanced.

Theoretically, you can flash the Kingpin VBIOS onto the 3090 FTW3 and have access to those voltages via the classified tool. Both cards allegedly use the same analog voltage controller. Edit: I tried, and it indeed does unlock those voltages on a FTW3 card. However, it didn't make a difference to the power limit (380 to 400W in Valley with perfcap power, and furmark maxed at 450W and most of the time was at 430 (Kingpin 520W VBIOS)). 1.12 nvvdd, 1.4 fbvdd, & 1.2 msvdd and was able to change both load lines to level 1 and disable both ocp. The NV and MS frequencies were stuck at 400 Hz.

cerealkeller
Has anyone been able to update Precision X using the XC3 bios without being asked to update firmware? I think I’m on 1.1.1 still
Regarding clocks, I’ve been running +70/+900 on the XC3 BIOS with whatever voltage it gives me since the curve doesn’t work and I don’t have the voltage turned up. I think it’s 2040 after thermal throttling 2070 without, I think, it may actually be 2100, but it never actually runs there. Maybe once I get my water block. Soon I hope.
It’s been very stable though, for Red Dead 2 and Cyberpunk 2077, what I’ve been playing lately.

Step 1: Install the latest PX1, but don't open it yet. Step 2: Navigate to the PX1 installation folder and delete everything in the Firmware folder. Step 3: Profit. Found out that this doesn't work for PX 1.1.4. Maybe it would work on an older version, but I just use AB instead.

My card would also drop to 2040MHz or so on air because it would get up to 78C while playing CP2077. The Hybrid kit keeps it to mostly 62C, with a max of 64C now, and the clocks stay around 2100 with 2130 being the max with my gaming OC.

How do you validate the voltage settings you set actually applied?

arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/12/21 18:15:55 (permalink)
drunknfoo

The tool kept the settings after I closed and opened it, except for the Hz ratings which were set to 400 instead of max. Don't think there's any other way to check it.
Dabadger84
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/12/21 18:16:51 (permalink)
Well I think I have evidence beyond a reasonable doubt that the primary problem causing the Power Limit issues for the 3090 FTW3 Ultra/Hybrid cards on the BIOS or board settings indeed has to do with the vRAM.

I set to stock, run Port Royal, tickles power limit.  I begin revalidating my vRAM OC settings by setting my core to 2040MHz @ 981mV (which results in NO power limit readouts during Port Royal), start with +500 vRAM, no power limit.  +750 tickles power limit... +1000-+1250 solid power limit (at 450W, mind you, not "500W").  Score doesn't go up after +1100, I back off to +1000 for a nice even number this time.
I let the core back to "stock" so it's running the stupid voltage with horribad clocks, still +1000 vRAM, solid power limit through the test.  I think about it, and figure why not see if I can break my record...
I set to +210/+1000 - solid power limit, the core only actually hits 2100+ for a few seconds through the entire test.  Only hit 14.6K, then it hits me, every time I see Power Limit on GPUz, the Core Clock is going down to keep the card "under" the limit, which is why I'm not seeing 2100+ throughout the test, I think to myself, there's 24GBs of vRAM on this thing, maybe try underclocking the vRAM & see what happens...
Sure as the sky is blue.  At -250 vRAM, +210 Core, in Port Royal, Power Limit is still dinged in GPUz, BUT... the Core Clock is hitting 2070-2085-2100-2115 the whole test.

So something to do specifically with the voltage or power draw or a combination of the two, of the GDDR6X, is what's actually causing the issue on these cards of not being able to hit clocks or the actual 500W power limit, as others have suggested in this thread, from the looks of it.

I'm genuinely curious now if I set those clocks in Time Spy if I'll actually see 500W of draw instead of hitting a hard wall at 480-493W.  Going to test that next.

This gives me the sense that this is part of the problem Kingpin owners are running in to as well, since even on those, you can only adjust the voltage on the GDDR6X so much... Guess I'll find out when I get mine.
This really is a bummer because this card really seems like it would be a great overclocker if I wasn't being totally blocked from doing so by having to choose between core clock & vRAM clock since ones goes down if the other one goes up regardless of what I set.

The real question is, is this even something they can fix with BIOS updates or is this a hardware-side issue?  

Is anyone else experiencing that specifically, where you set a GPU core clock & it doesn't actually hit & stay at it, if you're hitting power limit? 

Specs:

Dabadger84
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/12/21 18:34:12 (permalink)
Sure as the sky is blue folks:

466W draw, only tickling power limit under PerfCap occasionally, GPU core clock was more consistent, and also worthy of note, look at the individual power draws, PCIe slot is only at 78W, and the 8-pins are at 129-129-134, so much more even than I have seen before trying this.

Specs:

drunknfoo
Superclocked Member
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/12/21 18:59:24 (permalink)
arestavo
drunknfoo

The tool kept the settings after I closed and opened it, except for the Hz ratings which were set to 400 instead of max. Don't think there's any other way to check it.

ya, it's not applied.... i remember maxing out values when attempting to play with it after realizing they're not actually applied...
your statement made it sound like it was 100% functioning... so i had to ask how you validated...
arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/12/21 19:02:14 (permalink)
drunknfoo
arestavo
drunknfoo

ya, it's not applied.... i remember maxing out values when attempting to play with it after realizing they're not actually applied...
your statement made it sound like it was 100% functioning... so i had to ask how you validated...

How did you validate that the settings weren't applied?

Because the card didn't explode when you literally maxed out all voltages?
drunknfoo
Superclocked Member
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/12/21 19:03:43 (permalink)
arestavo
drunknfoo
arestavo
drunknfoo

How did you validate that the settings weren't applied?

Because the card didn't explode when you literally maxed out all voltages?

pretty much lol

set my clock and mem to what i know is borderline stable, playing around with the sliders while running benchmarks, didn't cause any instability
Dabadger84
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/12/21 19:05:47 (permalink)
Just ran Port Royal with only the -250MHz vRAM applied, nothing else, and now I'm seeing 465W power draw during the test (used to max out at 450-457W at the very most), and my core is clocking higher at stock... 

Specs:

arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/12/21 19:20:11 (permalink)
Dabadger84
Just ran Port Royal with only the -250MHz vRAM applied, nothing else, and now I'm seeing 465W power draw during the test (used to max out at 450-457W at the very most), and my core is clocking higher at stock... 

Someone in the kingpin power draw problem thread mentioned that there are three power limits that the FTW3/kingpin cards can hit very early at low overall power draw (390W in my case) - PCIE slot, VRAM, and one other that I forget. They also mentioned that the power limit for the VRAM is set lower on these cards than other manufacturers set, even the FE cards.

Don't ask me exactly how a 2 power pin XC3 VBIOS corrects that issue, but it does.
post edited by arestavo - 2020/12/21 19:22:23
Dabadger84
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 XOC BIOS BETA 2020/12/21 19:27:06 (permalink)
arestavo
Dabadger84

Someone in the kingpin power draw problem thread mentioned that there are three power limits that the FTW3/kingpin cards can hit very early at low overall power draw (390W in my case) - PCIE slot, VRAM, and one other that I forget. They also mentioned that the power limit for the VRAM is set lower on these cards than other manufacturers set, even the FE cards.

Don't ask me exactly how a 2 power pin XC3 VBIOS corrects that issue, but it does.

I really want to give it a try but I'm genuinely worried about bricking the card...

If I were to brick a BIOS, I can just boot up with the BIOS switch in the other position, switch it back to the broken one & reflash, correct?

Specs:

Page: << < ..106107108109110.. > >> Showing page 107 of 240
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile