EVGA

Helpful ReplyEVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 PCB Breakdown (GN/Buildzoid)

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
BigSteelThrill
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 PCB Breakdown (GN/Buildzoid) 2020/11/10 14:08:07 (permalink)
Palito93
People like to whine about everything.

In the end you're still getting a good 3080 plus not everyone is an extreme overclocker. So those extra 20-30MHz won't even affect you in gaming.
And if you're really unhappy about your purchase, you can still sell it on ebay for 200$ more than what you paid for.

That isn't the point. You have how many 3080 evga options? Five? and this is supposed to be the pinnacle.
LVNeptune
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 287
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 PCB Breakdown (GN/Buildzoid) 2020/11/10 14:08:28 (permalink)
LinS123
Am I disappointed? Slightly.

Does it matter to me in end? Not really. Sure it cost more and is worst value compared to the Strix, but I'll take the card I have now and just work a few more hours to make back the perceived loss value. I knew it was never going to be a good value proposition when I bought the 3090 no matter the brand.

A lot of people don't seem to realize the scale of Asus. They are gigantic compared to EVGA. Fully automated assembly lines, a huge notebook division, phone division, etc. They can afford the economies of scale to just put more stuff or better stuff on PCBs.

Do I wish I had a Strix now? Maybe, I've had a chance to buy a few. But since I already have my card and they all perform within single digit percentages of each other. I am not gonna cry over the performance headroom lost, LN2 was never in my thoughts when purchasing.

I'm not talking about overclocking, it's cards dying with no one at EVGA saying why or what is going on. Some people here have RMA'd several cards to get one that actually functions. Mine is hard locking when powering up or rebooting randomly. It's stable in games it's just causing an issue at boot up sometimes.

Duppex77
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 217
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 PCB Breakdown (GN/Buildzoid) 2020/11/10 14:13:41 (permalink)
BigSteelThrill
That isn't the point. You have how many 3080 evga options? Five? and this is supposed to be the pinnacle.

Agree, From my understanding the previous FTW3 Cards used better parts than the founders edition.

Asus X570 Dark Hero, Ryzen 5900x, 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mhz, RTX 3090 FE, 500GB Samsung 980 Pro, BX500 Crucial 2TB, Be-quit 500DX, Corsair AX1000, Razer Basilisk U, Asus Scope TKL Deluxe, ASUS PG279QM G-SYNC.

** I miss the days when EVGA made great GPU's - GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 HYBRID she was so Sexy *** 
LinS123
  • Total Posts : 64
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 PCB Breakdown (GN/Buildzoid) 2020/11/10 14:15:11 (permalink)
LVNeptune
I'm not talking about overclocking, it's cards dying with no one at EVGA saying why or what is going on. Some people here have RMA'd several cards to get one that actually functions. Mine is hard locking when powering up or rebooting randomly. It's stable in games it's just causing an issue at boot up sometimes.

I agree EVGA should address the issue. Remember when the 2080Ti launch and were dying? I had two 2080Tis die on me, both EVGA. The issue right now is the same as what happened two years ago. Something is wrong, they are probably trying to figure it and give a correct answer. If they come out with a random excuse people will latch onto it and just say it's EVGA cutting corners. Like they did with the SC2 thermal pad issue. Turns out it was a batch of bad capacitors but everyone latched onto the notion that it was because EVGA did not apply thermal pads to the back.

The 3080 is like what 2 months old? And dying cards have starting popping up within the last 2-3 weeks. You're gonna have to give them more time to figure it out. If they can't give us a sastifying answer/solution, we take our money elsewhere. Simple as that.

5950X / 32GB 3600CL16 / 3090 Kingpin / Corsair AX1600i
_Gir_
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 332
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 PCB Breakdown (GN/Buildzoid) 2020/11/10 14:17:54 (permalink)
arestavo
I am so glad everyone here managed to view the whole video, taking it all in. And I'm so glad we have a whole lot of LN2 overclockers here (in addition to Gamer's Nexus getting a world record LN2 cooling their 3080 FTW3 card). It's quite encouraging!

https://youtu.be/ZuimvlNraLM?t=1609

Palito93

People like to whine about everything.

In the end you're still getting a good 3080 plus not everyone is an extreme overclocker. So those extra 20-30MHz won't even affect you in gaming.
And if you're really unhappy about your purchase, you can still sell it on ebay for 200$ more than what you paid for. 

A stock FE vs 3080 FTW won't affect us in gaming either.  So why pay extra?

The question arises as to what makes the FTW worth the parts that it's made compared to previous generation/FTW brand reputation/competitors.  I should be able to pick up a FTW card and not think twice about what I have spent quite a bit of money on.  We should be looking out for each other as consumers.  
LVNeptune
iCX Member
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 PCB Breakdown (GN/Buildzoid) 2020/11/10 14:17:58 (permalink)
LinS123
LVNeptune

I agree EVGA should address the issue. Remember when the 2080Ti launch and were dying? I had two 2080Tis die on me, both EVGA. The issue right now is the same as what happened two years ago. Something is wrong, they are probably trying to figure it and give a correct answer. If they come out with a random excuse people will latch onto it and just say it's EVGA cutting corners. Like they did with the SC2 thermal pad issue. Turns out it was a batch of bad capacitors but everyone latched onto the notion that it was because EVGA did not apply thermal pads to the back.

The 3080 is like what 2 months old? And dying cards have starting popping up within the last 2-3 weeks. You're gonna have to give them more time to figure it out. If they can't give us a sastifying answer/solution, we take our money elsewhere. Simple as that.

Card started popping up because people started receiving them, finally. We are a minority of users who have received cards and a large portion of the users who have received cards are having issues. I don't want a "satisfying solution." I want them to acknowledge there's a problem and halt RMAs until they figure out what it is, THEN replace the cards. "Just RMA it" is not a solution, just like "Just power cycle it" isn't a solution. You are fixing the symptom, not the cause.
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1289
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 PCB Breakdown (GN/Buildzoid) 2020/11/10 14:23:23 (permalink)
LVNeptune
LinS123
LVNeptune

Card started popping up because people started receiving them, finally. We are a minority of users who have received cards and a large portion of the users who have received cards are having issues. I don't want a "satisfying solution." I want them to acknowledge there's a problem and halt RMAs until they figure out what it is, THEN replace the cards. "Just RMA it" is not a solution, just like "Just power cycle it" isn't a solution. You are fixing the symptom, not the cause.

Agreed
LinS123
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 PCB Breakdown (GN/Buildzoid) 2020/11/10 14:23:41 (permalink)
LVNeptune

Until you can quote me actual RMA percentages, it's all anecdotal. This forum is a ridiculously tiny sample size. So saying a "large portion" of users are having issues is hyperbole. I personally know at least 4 other people in my life who managed to get FTW3 cards  and are without issue. Are they representative of anything? Probably not.

What you are suggesting they do would piss off more people. Cause if they did stop RMAs, you would have others complaining of slow turn around or EVGA not doing anything.

Calm down. I went through two dead cards before, both in a span of 4 months. I understand the feeling. No need to get aggressive. 

DarthYodi
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 152
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 PCB Breakdown (GN/Buildzoid) 2020/11/10 14:25:08 (permalink)
They really need to do a board revision on the FTW series. Super disappointing board for the price. Yes, even if you don't use LN2 like some are wildly implying here.

Gone are the days of Classifieds and FTWs being super-high-end it seems and they are just "reference+" (P.S. bring back classys!)

Between this video and the fuse problems discovered in the XOC thread, I am really hopeful that EVGA does a board revision here.
FTW Member
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 PCB Breakdown (GN/Buildzoid) 2020/11/10 14:27:26 (permalink)
LinS123
LVNeptune

Until you can quote me actual RMA percentages, it's all anecdotal. This forum is a ridiculously tiny sample size. So saying a "large portion" of users are having issues is hyperbole. I personally know at least 4 other people in my life who managed to get FTW3 cards  and are without issue. Are they representative of anything? Probably not.

What you are suggesting they do would piss off more people. Cause if they did stop RMAs, you would have others complaining of slow turn around or EVGA not doing anything.

Calm down. I went through two dead cards before, both in a span of 4 months. I understand the feeling. No need to get aggressive. 

Unbelievable that you have a nerve to argue that comment 

arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6786
  • Ribbons : 76
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 PCB Breakdown (GN/Buildzoid) 2020/11/10 14:27:46 (permalink)
LVNeptune
iCX Member
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 PCB Breakdown (GN/Buildzoid) 2020/11/10 14:28:14 (permalink)
LinS123
LVNeptune

I'm more annoyed that I got rid of my 3090 FE for this. It benches and clocks higher but has random POST issues. For a card that is $2,000...it's very disappointing. This card is more than some people's complete builds. I was able to acquire another 3090 FE today at this morning's Best Buy drop so I'm set either way. With the "beta" bios issues and cards not even attempting to hit 500W and throwing up Pwr Limit throttling in GPU-Z I think they just need to go back to the engineering department and say, "fix this."
Duppex77
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 217
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 PCB Breakdown (GN/Buildzoid) 2020/11/10 14:29:25 (permalink)
DarthYodi
They really need to do a board revision on the FTW series. Super disappointing board for the price. Yes, even if you don't use LN2 like some are wildly implying here.

Gone are the days of Classifieds and FTWs being super-high-end it seems and they are just "reference+" (P.S. bring back classys!)

Between this video and the fuse problems discovered in the XOC thread, I am really hopeful that EVGA does a board revision here.

You brought fond memories of my beloved GTX 980 Classified 😉

Asus X570 Dark Hero, Ryzen 5900x, 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mhz, RTX 3090 FE, 500GB Samsung 980 Pro, BX500 Crucial 2TB, Be-quit 500DX, Corsair AX1000, Razer Basilisk U, Asus Scope TKL Deluxe, ASUS PG279QM G-SYNC.

** I miss the days when EVGA made great GPU's - GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 HYBRID she was so Sexy *** 
LinS123
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 PCB Breakdown (GN/Buildzoid) 2020/11/10 14:37:18 (permalink)
AWK16

What? So you are saying the issue in this forum is representative of every FTW3 sold?

No where did I absolve EVGA of anything. They must fix the issue and provide an explanation or risk losing whatever credibility they have.

I've read through your thread of issues, and it does look bad. But are you an engineer? Can you solve it right now? Why are you entitled to answers immediately but EVGA is not afforded the opportunity to actually investigate and provide a non marketing answer?

Like I said. If they don't give a satisfactory solution, take our money and leave. Unless of course you are willing to start a class action lawsuit?

mrjeffos
  • Total Posts : 52
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 PCB Breakdown (GN/Buildzoid) 2020/11/10 14:59:20 (permalink)
The fact that he's riffing so long on not having a 4th RAM VRM on a card with only 10 RAM chips should tell you not to take this video too seriously.  

If you're buying an FTW3 you're paying extra for the larger cooler and extra power delivery, not because the UP9512 IC costs 5 cents more than the UP9511 IC.

If you're worried about high end overclocking - eyeballing the top 30 on port royal I see 13 EVGA and 13 ASUS listed so there doesn't seem to be any real world difference.

davey0707
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 PCB Breakdown (GN/Buildzoid) 2020/11/10 15:08:40 (permalink)
Personally I have no complaints about the 3080 FTW3 (other than the red accent, but what can you do). I undervolted slightly and still have a few percent over the FE model in terms of performance. The card is dead quiet and caps at 68° during full load. Coming from a 1080ti I'm extremely pleased.

Sure it's a little disappointing to know that they didn't use the best components they could've, but it doesn't really change anything in a meaningful way. Being able to play with no noise, without losing performance, is worth the premium over the FE model for me.
DarthYodi
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 152
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 PCB Breakdown (GN/Buildzoid) 2020/11/10 15:15:34 (permalink)
Duppex77
DarthYodi

You brought fond memories of my beloved GTX 980 Classified 😉

This is exactly what I mean! Every time I reference them people have only good things to say about them. I remember waiting for SO LONG to get just a couple backplates to use with the hydrocopper blocks on the 680 Classifieds. I wish they would go back to that style of card. EVBot port, really good OCers. I guess the KP cards took over that area?

Either way, hopefully we see a board revision here.
FTW Member
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 PCB Breakdown (GN/Buildzoid) 2020/11/10 15:32:16 (permalink)
LinS123
AWK16

What? So you are saying the issue in this forum is representative of every FTW3 sold?

No where did I absolve EVGA of anything. They must fix the issue and provide an explanation or risk losing whatever credibility they have.

I've read through your thread of issues, and it does look bad. But are you an engineer? Can you solve it right now? Why are you entitled to answers immediately but EVGA is not afforded the opportunity to actually investigate and provide a non marketing answer?

Like I said. If they don't give a satisfactory solution, take our money and leave. Unless of course you are willing to start a class action lawsuit?

There are repetitive 3080/3090FTW cards dying. I had 3090 died on me after 14 min. my nephew had 3x 3090's RMAs died within days, look around you, everyday someone is reporting dead card and it’s been only what a month since launch.  
You don't need every single person to report to you my card is dead, there is an issue and if you can't see it, I can't help you with that.
riku98523
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 135
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 PCB Breakdown (GN/Buildzoid) 2020/11/10 15:47:12 (permalink)
AWK16
LinS123
AWK16

There are repetitive 3080/3090FTW cards dying. I had 3090 died on me after 14 min. my nephew had 3x 3090's RMAs died within days, look around you, everyday someone is reporting dead card and it’s been only what a month since launch.  
You don't need every single person to report to you my card is dead, there is an issue and if you can't see it, I can't help you with that.

I can go look up almost any motherboard or even gpu on newegg and find a bunch of reviews about broken cards. People coming to forums to complain is not evidence of a major problem. It's only evidence that some % of literally any product especially electronics will fail.

Could their be a problem? Absolutely, but you don't know if there is and if you can't see that the forums as your evidence is ridiculous I have nothing else to say.
FTW Member
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 PCB Breakdown (GN/Buildzoid) 2020/11/10 16:04:27 (permalink)
riku98523
AWK16
LinS123
AWK16

I can go look up almost any motherboard or even gpu on newegg and find a bunch of reviews about broken cards. People coming to forums to complain is not evidence of a major problem. It's only evidence that some % of literally any product especially electronics will fail.

Could their be a problem? Absolutely, but you don't know if there is and if you can't see that the forums as your evidence is ridiculous I have nothing else to say.

I'm sure you got your card what..month ago! so let’s see how long will take before you come complaining that your card is dead and as I said days,weeks or month, but from the trend we see
post edited by AWK16 - 2020/11/10 16:10:55
jaypr9
  • Total Posts : 27
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 PCB Breakdown (GN/Buildzoid) 2020/11/10 17:30:28 (permalink)
Well that sucks. Kind of makes things a little clearer on why MAYBE some of these cards are dying on us. I got my rma coming in tomorrow but now I thinking if I should even install it. I've had a Strix on preorder for a couple weeks now, thinking hard about keeping that one.
maytheus
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 109
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 PCB Breakdown (GN/Buildzoid) 2020/11/10 18:18:44 (permalink)
I finally sat down and watched Buildzoid's review after reading this thread and having some discussion in the GN Patreon Discord...some thoughts...

Nothing BZ mentioned in his review leads me to the conclusion that the components he is "disappointed" in are responsible for card failures.  He flat out gave caveats with every one of his comments that his disappointment is related to LN2 extreme OC'ing and that the components are perfectly fine for normal OC'ing and regular everyday usage.  He wanted to see the digital voltage controller and different core caps to squeeze 10-40 more mHz of clock out of it for setting world records.  That has jack squat to do with card failures.  Keep in mind also that the past cards he was comparing to were Ti FTW3 cards.  This is not a Ti level card.  The one card he thinks is built better is the Strix which is $30 more expensive.  If you watch all of Buildzoid's breakdowns you know that he is NEVER happy about a product.  There is always disappointment with his reviews.  This breakdown is also of a 3080 so nothing about it should be translated to the 3090.

Regarding the piss fight above about numbers of failed cards, keep in mind you will head about product failures much more than those who have no issues.  Go to any automobile forum and try to make a decision based on what you read there.  You'd never purchase another vehicle again.  

Bottom line, yes there are some card failures happening and none of us know why.  BZ's review comments are irrelevant to this issue.  Hopefully EVGA gets whatever it is figured out and hopefully it is indeed a small fraction of the cards.

CPU: Intel i9 10900k
MB: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ~ PSU: eVGA 1000W T2 Titanium
RAM: 4x8GB G.Skill TridentZ Neo F4-3600C16D-16GTZN CL16-16-16-36
Video Card: eVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL w/ Lian Li Unifan Case Fans
SSDs/HDDs: Sabrent Rocket 500gb PCI 4 NVMe SSD, Sabrent Rocket 2TB PCI 4 NVMe SSD
Display: LG 34GP83A-B 34" Ultrawide Curved QHD 1440p Monitor @ 144hz
Mouse: Logitech G900 ~ Mouse Mat: Gamers Nexus Mouse Mat
Keyboard: Logitech G910 ~ Sound: Schitt Hel External DAC w/ Sennhesier HD6XX Headset and Modmic
Watercooling: EK-Quantum Momentum Monoblock; EK GPU Block; Heatkiller Tube Res; EK Rads (PE360 and XE360)
ReZpawN
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 304
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 PCB Breakdown (GN/Buildzoid) 2020/11/10 18:54:31 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Sajin 2020/11/10 19:06:24
Just a reminder that the pcb he looked at was a pre release pcb and we know a few things changed on it so all the things he complained about most likely have been fixed
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49076
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 PCB Breakdown (GN/Buildzoid) 2020/11/10 19:06:05 (permalink)
ReZpawN
Just a reminder that the pcb he looked at was a pre release pcb and we know a few things changed on it so all the things he complained about most likely have been fixed

Good point.

drunknfoo
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 117
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 PCB Breakdown (GN/Buildzoid) 2020/11/10 19:12:39 (permalink)
post edited by drunknfoo - 2020/11/10 19:14:49
ex90ranger
  • Total Posts : 65
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 PCB Breakdown (GN/Buildzoid) 2020/11/10 19:21:03 (permalink)
ReZpawN

literally about to say the same thing.  

Main system
Intel 6850k / Asus Rampage Extreme V Edition 10 / 32g 3200 Corsair Dominator RGB / EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra / Samsung 950 pro NVME 500g / Samsung 850 Evo 1t / Samsung 850 Evo 1t
https://pcpartpicker.com/b/J4CLrH

Media system
AMD 3400g / Asus Strix B450-i / 16g 3600 Corsair Dominator RGB / Samsung 970 Evo 500g / Samsung 850 Evo 500g
https://pcpartpicker.com/b/vyf9TW

Both systems installed in Phantex Enthoo 719 Dual system case powered by Phantex Revolt X 1200 dual system PSU
straha20
  • Total Posts : 62
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 PCB Breakdown (GN/Buildzoid) 2020/11/10 19:41:49 (permalink)
mrjeffos
The fact that he's riffing so long on not having a 4th RAM VRM on a card with only 10 RAM chips should tell you not to take this video too seriously.  

If you're buying an FTW3 you're paying extra for the larger cooler and extra power delivery, not because the UP9512 IC costs 5 cents more than the UP9511 IC.

If you're worried about high end overclocking - eyeballing the top 30 on port royal I see 13 EVGA and 13 ASUS listed so there doesn't seem to be any real world difference.

As  was mentioned above, he was looking at a picture of the pre release board, so not even a hands on an actual release card...that set the world record for overclocking with LN2.

I was actually pretty surprised that Gamers Nexus published that video, and kind of disappointed in them as well.  It was really sloppy and quite frankly, misleading.  At the very least, they should have had a disclaimer overlay stating that the video was a review of a picture of a card that is not in production, and does not necessarily apply to actual card in consumers hands.  I expected better from Steve and GN.
mrjeffos
  • Total Posts : 52
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 PCB Breakdown (GN/Buildzoid) 2020/11/10 21:05:07 (permalink)
straha20

I was actually pretty surprised that Gamers Nexus published that video, and kind of disappointed in them as well.  It was really sloppy and quite frankly, misleading.  At the very least, they should have had a disclaimer overlay stating that the video was a review of a picture of a card that is not in production, and does not necessarily apply to actual card in consumers hands.  I expected better from Steve and GN.

I do think Buildzoid's PCB breakdowns are entertaining but when GN hosts him people are going to overestimate his level of expertise.  He's just a youtuber who likes to read datasheets guys, not a digital designer.
bavor
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 995
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 PCB Breakdown (GN/Buildzoid) 2020/11/10 21:23:32 (permalink)
mrjeffos

You probably don't realize that when you flash a Msi or Asus Strix card with the EVAG BIOS is shows up in Port Royal(and other 3DMark benchmarks) as an EVGA card.  Fleshing the EVGA BIOS to Asus Strix cards has become popular, so, its hard to tell what those EVGA cards really are without seeing the actual cards.

Also, when you flash the Asus Strix BIOS onto an  EVGA card, it show's up as an Asus card.  Now that anyone would gain anything from doing that.

nofearek9
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 436
  • Ribbons : 8
Re: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 PCB Breakdown (GN/Buildzoid) 2020/11/10 21:44:57 (permalink)
ty_ger07
nofearek9
are we going to see a revision 2.0 board soon ? :)

It used to be FTW.  Then when a revision came out, it was FTW2.  And then another revision would be FTW3.
But with EVGA jumping the gun straight to FTW3, what's next?  FTW4?

no same card FTW with revised board ,since some reviewers got the early samples for review,hope final product is better/revised.

Asus Rampage IV Black Edition,Intel Xeon e5-1680v2@4,5Ghz(36x125),Corsair XMS3 64GB DDR3(8x8)(2000Mhz),Samsung 980 PRO 512GB,EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC GAMING 8GB,Lian Li PC-60FNWB ,Corsair HX1000 PSU,Noctua NH-D15 .
Asus Rampage III Gene,Intel Xeon X5660@ 4,5ghz,Corsair XMS3 48GB DDR3(6x8),Samsung 950 PRO 256GB,EVGA 1060 3GB SSC.
Register your evga products           Buy evga products with discount
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile