Helpful ReplyEVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5004
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/09 16:45:56 (permalink)
My 2080Ti XC (260w stock power target) runs about 67C with max gpu fans and 95-100% utilization with 110% power target (286w).  With 105% power target (273w) it hovers around the low 60C's with 90% fans with 80-100% utilization.  My custom fan curve is flat at 25% from 0 to 35C, then a straight ramp to 100% at 65C.  Case fans are two generic 120mm front intake fans running at 100% under load, pointing at the end of the card, vents in the back, cpu air cooler with parallel air flow.

For your card to be hitting 70C with 68% power (250w x 68% = 170w) means that that it's either totally not cooled adequately or is somehow broken.

post edited by kevinc313 - 2019/07/09 18:31:08
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/09 17:21:51 (permalink)
Just out of curiosity I set my 2080Ti XC to stock settings (100% power, no OC) and 100% percent fans above 35C.  It stabilizes at 56C running Unigine Heaven Extreme preset (hits stable full power target).  With the power cranked down to 170w (260w x 65%), it stabilizes at 45C in the same test.  At 68% on my card, 46C same test.  Room is currently being AC cooled to 20C (68F), case fans on max.

The XC card uses the same cooler and same PCB as the Black edition.  For you to be getting 70C when I'm getting 45C means that there is probably something seriously wrong with your air flow, fan settings, fan function or paste......or your room is 110F.
post edited by kevinc313 - 2019/07/09 18:32:28
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10323
  • Ribbons : 48
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/09 20:22:41 (permalink)
When I hear overheating, I think of either bad 'seating' of the cooling base, bad TIM, bad case airflow, high ambient temps or none of those are the issues but a bad chip that somehow made it through QC.

When you tab out remember, your load usually drops and so would your temps.  Try using the graph to see where the temps and load are prior to tabbing out during load/benching.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
FROSTYBE3R
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 242
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/09 22:51:02 (permalink)
2080 Ti black is known to have an absolutely horrible cooler.
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/10 05:55:10 (permalink)
FROSTYBE3R
2080 Ti black is known to have an absolutely horrible cooler.

AFAIK I've got the same cooler on my XC and have no problem with it under 300w if the fans are used aggressively.  It's not going to cool a nuclear reactor, so I think people's expectations are a little off.  The blower cooler however is either loud or hot.
5PTSLOW
  • Total Posts : 47
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/10 07:20:36 (permalink)
Update - I took quite a bit of time yesterday troubleshooting, but, could not get an accurate photo of the temps as they kept dropping out once I tabbed out to view X1 as GTX Jack stated.

However, here are the steps I've taken:

Powercycled for 30 seconds as instructed. 
Uninstalled X1, Uninstalled GeForce. Reinstalled both programs. Updated drivers as needed, ran factory settings (100% @ 84C per X1 defaults). 
Changed PhysX from auto to 2080ti Black edition in the GeForce program (not experience)

Played for 20 minutes at the factory X1 settings based on the fresh install. Temps hit 78C multiple times and fan RPM from what I saw on the X1 Program on auto peaked at 91%.  During this time, I had the entire side panel off of my tower completely open and the 120MM fan positioned to still blow directly on to the GPU.

This time around, the fans turned on to HIGH RPM every 5-10 seconds and kept doing it until I closed the game (World of Warcraft)

My fan setup that I verified:

Corsair Liquid Coolling H80i
x4 160MM Fans - Two in front are blowing in air, the two on top are blowing out all air
x1 120MM Fan - Blowing air in directly on to the GPU.

I had task manager running and my CPU Usage never really went about 70%. Again, the tests above were done with default settings.

Next, I played with the curves a bit, but, decided that after the fans were going up and down rapidly, I would change the fans to Auto and I adjusted the power level to 80% which from what I recall, brought the default GPU temp to 70-71C.

After this, I optimized the game (World of Warcraft) to opimal graphic settings in GeForce Experience.

Room temps are always 76 degrees with the AC on, and I have a 24" oscillating fan right near the AC vent circulating cool air through the room.

Played for another 20 minutes or so and managed to get 50-60 FPS, with a bit of stuttering. However, temps never hit more than 70C. The game was playable and the fans on the GPU were quiet and the GPU was not getting too hot. 

Hope this info helps. 
dc8flyer
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 558
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/10 07:51:10 (permalink)
5PTSLOW
Update - I took quite a bit of time yesterday troubleshooting, but, could not get an accurate photo of the temps as they kept dropping out once I tabbed out to view X1 as GTX Jack stated.

Uninstalled X1, Uninstalled GeForce. Reinstalled both programs. Updated drivers as needed, ran factory settings (100% @ 84C per X1 defaults). 
Changed PhysX from auto to 2080ti Black edition in the GeForce program (not experience)

Played for 20 minutes at the factory X1 settings based on the fresh install. Temps hit 78C multiple times and fan RPM from what I saw on the X1 Program on auto peaked at 91%.  During this time, I had the entire side panel off of my tower completely open and the 120MM fan positioned to still blow directly on to the GPU.

This time around, the fans turned on to HIGH RPM every 5-10 seconds and kept doing it until I closed the game (World of Warcraft)

x4 160MM Fans - Two in front are blowing in air, the two on top are blowing out all air

I had task manager running and my CPU Usage never really went about 70%. Again, the tests above were done with default settings.

Next, I played with the curves a bit, but, decided that after the fans were going up and down rapidly, I would change the fans to Auto and I adjusted the power level to 80% which from what I recall, brought the default GPU temp to 70-71C.

After this, I optimized the game (World of Warcraft) to opimal graphic settings in GeForce Experience.

Room temps are always 76 degrees with the AC on, and I have a 24" oscillating fan right near the AC vent circulating cool air through the room.

Played for another 20 minutes or so and managed to get 50-60 FPS, with a bit of stuttering. However, temps never hit more than 70C. The game was playable and the fans on the GPU were quiet and the GPU was not getting too hot. 

Hope this info helps. 

I believe your card is working normally. The major concern you seem to have is heat but you need to realize the 2080ti (I have one) runs HOT but it is designed to do so. Lowering the power setting to achieve a lower temp that YOU feel is appropriate is limiting the card and thus the lower frame rates and stuttering. Leve the card at no less than 100 percent and tied to the temp with the chain link selected.

I would set your fan to not oscillate but remain focused in a position to help the hot air move out of the box as opposed to forcing the air onto the card which might keep the heat from moving out of the card. One other thing you can do as I have done, is the cooling fins on the card that face the motherboard can heat up components on the MB and cause issues as well. I place electrical tape across the fins facing the MB so the heat does not directly pile on the MB. This reduced my MB temp sensors by 6 six degrees Celsius and seemed to alleviate some crashes I experienced when I initially installed my 2080ti.

One last issue is regardless of the OPTIMAL settings you have made with GForce, each game has particular setting that GForce does not consider and could be causing some of your stuttering and lower fps. Leave your card alone for now and focus on adjusting various game settings and note any performance changes.

Your doing fine and working hard to get it right. I think you are about there and once you get an idea of how all this works you can spend the next six months fine tuning. It almost never ends.

2009 Alienware Aurora x58
i7 990x oc to 4.14
Three ASUS ROG PG278Q Black 27" WQHD 2560 x 1440 - 144 Hz 1ms (GTG) NVIDIA G-Sync Gaming Monitors
RTX 2080ti EVGA Black XC oc 1250/160 with 456.55
CORSAIR Vengeance 24GB (6 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 memory
2TB 860evo SSD
Corsair Hydro Series H80i V2 Water/Liquid CPU Cooler
Two 120mm push/pull NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM Fan with Focused Flow
Windows 10 - always the latest
5PTSLOW
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/10 08:00:19 (permalink)
dc8flyer
5PTSLOW

Hope this info helps. 

I believe your card is working normally. The major concern you seem to have is heat but you need to realize the 2080ti (I have one) runs HOT but it is designed to do so. Lowering the power setting to achieve a lower temp that YOU feel is appropriate is limiting the card and thus the lower frame rates and stuttering. Leve the card at no less than 100 percent and tied to the temp with the chain link selected.

I would set your fan to not oscillate but remain focused in a position to help the hot air move out of the box as opposed to forcing the air onto the card which might keep the heat from moving out of the card. One other thing you can do as I have done, is the cooling fins on the card that face the motherboard can heat up components on the MB and cause issues as well. I place electrical tape across the fins facing the MB so the heat does not directly pile on the MB. This reduced my MB temp sensors by 6 six degrees Celsius and seemed to alleviate some crashes I experienced when I initially installed my 2080ti.

One last issue is regardless of the OPTIMAL settings you have made with GForce, each game has particular setting that GForce does not consider and could be causing some of your stuttering and lower fps. Leave your card alone for now and focus on adjusting various game settings and note any performance changes.

Your doing fine and working hard to get it right. I think you are about there and once you get an idea of how all this works you can spend the next six months fine tuning. It almost never ends.

With this being said, I do just want to mention one thing - I only reduce the temp and power (the chain link is connected and not broken, if you will) and whenever I left the temp default of 100% GPU power, temps would hit very close to, if not over 80C and my PC would shut down. I would touch the backplate of the GPU and it would be on fire. Whereas, other parts of my PC were much, much cooler. 

Prior to even having X1 on my computer, I ran into many issues of high RPM in the GPU fans, and right before my PC would shut down out of the 5-7 times it has done so, the game would stutter badly and FPS would drop like crazy. 

I will definitely keep working at this and see what I can find that seems to work for the crashes/GPU temps and game performance. 
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/10 08:26:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby 5PTSLOW 2019/07/10 08:44:55
5PTSLOW

Hope this info helps. 

Sounds like good progress.  I'd strongly recommend figuring out how to get the onscreen display in X1 working so you can monitor temps in real time.  Or use Afterburner with the Rivatuner OSD.  Afterburner also has history graphs which are excellent for troubleshooting.

I'd use a custom GPU fan curve that goes to 100% at 65C or 70C.  Make sure your bios settings are correctly configured to run your case fans at max output when the PC is warm (CPU over 40C), then remove the fan directly on the GPU and close up the case. 

Also, take any wires inside the case and bundle them neatly out of the way of any major airflow paths.
post edited by kevinc313 - 2019/07/10 08:32:14
5PTSLOW
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/10 09:07:54 (permalink)
One last thing - Would a PSU replacement hurt?

My 750W P2 SuperNOVA is about two years old. I can snag a 1200W for about $250 now in a Platinum. Not sure if this is worth the upgrade or not. 

Will try what you said @kevinc313

Thanks folks! 
Sajin
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 49168
  • Ribbons : 199
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/10 09:57:41 (permalink)
So it sounds like taking the side panel off helped correct the problem. Time to fix your case air flow.
5PTSLOW
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/11 08:03:41 (permalink)
Update as of 7/11/19 - 

I set the card to 100% power which resulted in an 84C temp, did not alter the fan curve, changed fans to auto.

I then moved on to changing some of the graphics in WoW per a thread I found online where people that had pretty solid systems like my own that were having FPS issues. 

After about an hour of playing, I was getting steady 70-80 FPS in just about every area, in and out of crowded places and what not. FPS did drop to about 40-50 when enountering a world boss wtih a least 20-30 other players on it as well. Stuttering was very minimal.

However, one concern with the GPU I have. 

The first 20 minutes or so, fans were on auto and constantly around 60-70% and temps were around 70-71C. After those 20 minutes of gameplay, the fans kicked to 90% (Via auto feature) and temps were hitting anywhere from 70-80C and the fans were revving up and slowing down intermittently. This was all done with the side panel still on. 

I decided to open the panel for another 20 mintues or so and blow a fan directly onto the GPU. This did not help and after I restarted playing after giving GPU a few minutes to cool down, the same thing happened. Fans were around 60-70% operating power, temps around 70-71C consistently. After that, fans jumped to 90%, spiking at 95% according to the graph I managed to check and temps once again spiked to 80C.

EVGA responded yesterday basically saying they have no reports or issues with ANY of the 20 series cards in terms of high heat. They are also saying it is most likely not the GPU and is most likely my CPU or PSU that is causing these issues, or, my airflow. 

The option for RMA'ing the card was offered if I cannot test all my parts in another system or cannot resolve these issues on my own. In additon, mid 80's C are normal for this card, per EVGA. 

What do you guys think at this point? 
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/11 08:42:43 (permalink)
5PTSLOW
Update as of 7/11/19 - 

I set the card to 100% power which resulted in an 84C temp, did not alter the fan curve, changed fans to auto.

I then moved on to changing some of the graphics in WoW per a thread I found online where people that had pretty solid systems like my own that were having FPS issues. 

After about an hour of playing, I was getting steady 70-80 FPS in just about every area, in and out of crowded places and what not. FPS did drop to about 40-50 when enountering a world boss wtih a least 20-30 other players on it as well. Stuttering was very minimal.

However, one concern with the GPU I have. 

The first 20 minutes or so, fans were on auto and constantly around 60-70% and temps were around 70-71C. After those 20 minutes of gameplay, the fans kicked to 90% (Via auto feature) and temps were hitting anywhere from 70-80C and the fans were revving up and slowing down intermittently. This was all done with the side panel still on. 

I decided to open the panel for another 20 mintues or so and blow a fan directly onto the GPU. This did not help and after I restarted playing after giving GPU a few minutes to cool down, the same thing happened. Fans were around 60-70% operating power, temps around 70-71C consistently. After that, fans jumped to 90%, spiking at 95% according to the graph I managed to check and temps once again spiked to 80C.

EVGA responded yesterday basically saying they have no reports or issues with ANY of the 20 series cards in terms of high heat. They are also saying it is most likely not the GPU and is most likely my CPU or PSU that is causing these issues, or, my airflow. 

The option for RMA'ing the card was offered if I cannot test all my parts in another system or cannot resolve these issues on my own. In additon, mid 80's C are normal for this card, per EVGA. 

What do you guys think at this point? 

You are chasing your tail because you have not done the following:

- SET A CUSTOM FAN CURVE to make sure the fans are running 100% by 70C (or better, 65C).  Flat from 0-35C at 25%.  Then a straight line from 25% at 35C to 100% at 70C.  This will keep your machine from heat soaking as badly.  

- Get OSD to display AT LEAST:  GPU temp, GPU power, GPU fan %, GPU utilization, CPU Temp.

- Confirm how exactly your case fans have their speed controlled (directly on PS? BIOS?  Other???) and if they are ramping up to 100%.  Make sure there are no dead spots in airflow around the GPU, you could try removing your rear PCI slot covers around the GPU to allow venting out of the case there.  Post pics of the case config.
GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/11 09:19:55 (permalink)
kevinc313

You are chasing your tail because you have not done the following:

- SET A CUSTOM FAN CURVE to make sure the fans are running 100% by 70C (or better, 65C).  Flat from 0-35C at 25%.  Then a straight line from 25% at 35C to 100% at 70C.  This will keep your machine from heat soaking as badly.  

- Get OSD to display AT LEAST:  GPU temp, GPU power, GPU fan %, GPU utilization, CPU Temp.

- Confirm how exactly your case fans have their speed controlled (directly on PS? BIOS?  Other???) and if they are ramping up to 100%.  Make sure there are no dead spots in airflow around the GPU, you could try removing your rear PCI slot covers around the GPU to allow venting out of the case there.  Post pics of the case config.

+1   Do as he posted and report back.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
5PTSLOW
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/11 09:29:37 (permalink)
For now, here are pics of my PC as it stands:

I will get more photos later also show the graph and fan curve I setup per the instruction above. 

Thanks folks
-Chris
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/11 12:55:06 (permalink)
Interesting............that side mounted fan.  The GPU fans are blowing cooling air into the heatsink, which comes out hotter from the top and bottom of the card.  If there's a stiff breeze from the fan blowing against the top of it, you might get air stagnating in the heatsink.  Best to have air blowing from the end of the card, or at least from the side.
5PTSLOW
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/11 13:09:19 (permalink)
kevinc313
Interesting............that side mounted fan.  The GPU fans are blowing cooling air into the heatsink, which comes out hotter from the top and bottom of the card.  If there's a stiff breeze from the fan blowing against the top of it, you might get air stagnating in the heatsink.  Best to have air blowing from the end of the card, or at least from the side.

The side fan blows air directly onto the GPU.

There are two fans in front that are both 120MM in size I think, blowing air to the end of the GPU or to the right of the GPU if you're looking at the case from the side with the Blue LED lit up fan.

The two on top whcih are much larger are pulling air out.

This is a really old case, so, the design is probably flawed and most likely worked OK for previous setups that were not super demanding in terms of needing good airflow. 
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/11 13:14:06 (permalink)
5PTSLOWThe side fan blows air directly onto the GPU.

Right.  It's blowing into the GPU's heatsink, right where air is trying to come out from it.  I kind of doubt it's helping anything and could be hurting.  

5PTSLOW
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/11 13:23:26 (permalink)
kevinc313
5PTSLOWThe side fan blows air directly onto the GPU.

Right.  It's blowing into the GPU's heatsink, right where air is trying to come out from it.  I kind of doubt it's helping anything and could be hurting.  

I'll go ahead and unplug that and see if it makes a difference. 

Reporting back sometime tonight if I manage to spend some time logging the temps as you requested.

I really appreciate everyone's help with this. 
-Chris
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/11 13:39:05 (permalink)
5PTSLOW

I'll go ahead and unplug that and see if it makes a difference. 

Reporting back sometime tonight if I manage to spend some time logging the temps as you requested.

I really appreciate everyone's help with this. 
-Chris

Happy to help.  Thinking about it further, that side fan would work just fine with a blower style single fan GPU, but not with a dual fan.  

I'd do the following:

- Leave your AIO CPU cooler as is (exhaust)
- Leave your front fans as is (intake)
- Flip your top fans so they are intake air
- Completely physically remove the side fan so it becomes an exhaust vent
- Remove PCIe slot covers or at least make sure they are ventilated and you have vents to the side of them.

This will force a ton of fresh, pressurized air through the GPU area and then out of the case, giving it the best chance at staying cool.
post edited by kevinc313 - 2019/07/11 15:04:13
5PTSLOW
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/11 17:51:59 (permalink)
Update - Did not flip fans around as suggested above, but, I did unplug the side panel fan.

I went into bios, set all fans to full power, 100% all the time.
Fan curve above as suggested was applied to X1 as well as setting temp target to 100% power at 84C.

Here are some screen shots of the changes I made to X1 and from the OSD.

One thing I noticed on this setting - FPS was much higher, minimal to no stuttering. But, the GPU fans were constantly "revving" high and low, like a fast revving car. This normal?

I will say, the fans are LOUD. I have to really crank the volume on my game in order for the game to overpower the fans on this thing, LOL.

Let me know how the results from OSD look and if this setup was done correctly. 
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/11 18:11:06 (permalink)
Hummm....

- Am I seeing that right that your CPU is hitting 100C max?  That's way too hot and impacting CPU performance. I think your AIO radiator fan could be being starved for air by the top exhaust fans.  Maybe try cutting their speed to 30% or 50%, while making sure the AIO fan is still at max speed.

- Can you provide plots of the GPU temp, the Fan speed and Power together?  That would show the reving behavior.

- It's crazy that your card is idling at 49C in a low power state.  That's pretty hot, seems like it's sitting in a bunch of hot air.  CPU idling at 49C too.  Really heat soaked.
post edited by kevinc313 - 2019/07/11 18:40:14
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/11 18:26:13 (permalink)
Also, try these additional fan settings:

- Fan speed update period: 2000ms
- Temp Hysteresis: 5C (might stop major fan speed swings)
- Set your 0C point to 25%

Hysteresis:

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/temperature-hysteresis.329435/#post-3715485

post edited by kevinc313 - 2019/07/11 18:32:15
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/11 18:27:46 (permalink)
I would say that the Corsair H80i Liquid Cooling is not doing it's job, Time Re-Apply the Thermal Paste.
Or even replace it with a Better AIO Cooler.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

GTXJackBauer
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/11 19:17:38 (permalink)
That could be a bad pump or the pump is set too low.  Those CPU temps are too high for one. 

As stated already, it does seem that there is either bad airflow or the ambient air being introduced into the rig is pretty warm. 

LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
5PTSLOW
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/11 19:22:32 (permalink)
Here are more screen shots. I tried playing with the BIOS, but, no matter what changes I made, none of the fans would power off or slow down. Not sure what is up with that. Maybe these images will help. 

I used Corsair Link and running WoW, temps as a total package for the CPU were around 85-90C. 

Lot of photos below. Hope this makes sense to you guys, doesn't make sense to me. LOL

After playing WoW for a brief time:

Corsair Link after I started WoW 

The H80i is about 5 years old and has been on two different MB setups. Maybe Microcenter did not reapply thermal paste?

Based on this, I have no idea how to turn down the fan speed for the exhaust fans as the BIOS controls did not work.

Any recommendations on a good single radiator liquid cooler? I will be bringing my PC to a shop as I cannot do the work myself. I am far from savvy enough to start doing these things. 
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/11 20:21:40 (permalink)
Sounds like you don't have proper thermal paste on the cpu.  It's pretty easy to pull the cooler off and check.  Or the pump is busted.

Did you save and apply the GPU fan custom curve in X1?  Because you're only hitting 60% fan speed at 70c, looks you're running on the bios stock fan curve.

I don't think you can adjust your case fans because the "full speed" option is checked.  Select manual or one of the presets on the bottom bar, then apply and save.

post edited by kevinc313 - 2019/07/11 20:25:30
5PTSLOW
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/11 21:08:19 (permalink)
kevinc313
Sounds like you don't have proper thermal paste on the cpu.  It's pretty easy to pull the cooler off and check.  Or the pump is busted.

Did you save and apply the GPU fan custom curve in X1?  Because you're only hitting 60% fan speed at 70c, looks you're running on the bios stock fan curve.

I don't think you can adjust your case fans because the "full speed" option is checked.  Select manual or one of the presets on the bottom bar, then apply and save.

Few pics from the inside.

PS - I did save the changes to X1 and did what you said. It seems no matter how many times I save, it keeps changing it back to that. Think uninstalling/reinstalling X1 will help?

Looks like when Microcenter built this, they never installed the software cable for the AIO so that explains why I cannot make any changes to fan speed or anything in Corsair Link. 

Pic of the CPU after removing the fan from the cooler:

Pic of the coolers backing plate that rests on top of the CPU:

Pic of the inside of the PC:

Software cable that I have no clue where to plug in:

Gotta say, this is really embarrassing. 

Not many places in the burbs of Chicago that I feel I can trust with building the rig and I am not sure I'll use microcenter anymore, except maybe to buy parts.

Thanks again, you've been really awesome!

-Chris
kevinc313
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/12 06:18:31 (permalink)
Well that's interesting.  You've got the USB header end of the programming cable in your hand, you should be able to plug it into a USB header on the motherboard.  I'd review the quick start guide to make sure the AIO pump is plugged in and getting power too.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Liquid-Cooling/Hydro-Series%E2%84%A2-H80i-High-Performance-Liquid-CPU-Cooler/p/CW-9060008-WW#tab-downloads

Based on how the thermal paste is applied, I'm going to guess it's the factory paste that came on the cooler, unless microcenter is using a silkscreen type applicator for their paste.  You can scrape off (plastic tool!!) the paste on the AIO plate, then re-use the paste in a thin and even layer on the CPU top.  That should get you back up and running without having to acquire more paste.

On the X1, I don't know why the fan setting won't take, I mostly use Afterburner.  But if you're seeing 70C at 60% fans, that's totally normal cooling performance.  Sounds like the major problems you're having is driven by the CPU heat soaking the machine over time, aside from just cooking itself.
post edited by kevinc313 - 2019/07/12 06:26:14
5PTSLOW
Re: EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition - Constantly Overheats 2019/07/12 06:35:09 (permalink)
kevinc313
Well that's interesting.  You've got the USB header end of the programming cable in your hand, you should be able to plug it into a USB header on the motherboard.  I'd review the quick start guide to make sure the AIO pump is plugged in and getting power too.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Liquid-Cooling/Hydro-Series%E2%84%A2-H80i-High-Performance-Liquid-CPU-Cooler/p/CW-9060008-WW#tab-downloads

Based on how the thermal paste is applied, I'm going to guess it's the factory paste that came on the cooler, unless microcenter is using a silkscreen type applicator for their paste.  You can scrape off (plastic tool!!) the paste on the AIO plate, then re-use the paste in a thin and even layer on the CPU top.  That should get you back up and running without having to acquire more paste.

On the X1, I don't know why the fan setting won't take, I mostly use Afterburner.  But if you're seeing 70C at 60% fans, that's totally normal cooling performance.  Sounds like the major problems you're having is driven by the CPU heat soaking the machine over time, aside from just cooking itself.

I just ordered some Arctic 5 paste and since no local store carries it.

Do you think there is potential damage to the sytem since I've been running this setup for 2.5 years after microcenter did the work? 

I'm hoping I can get more use out of this, but, I'm already eyeing a new setup, new case, MB and 9700k. Out of reach for now, but, I'd hate to burn other parts out as a result of this, especially the GPU that I just bought.

I am going to try and switch around the two exhaust fans today and make them intake fans. Last night, I removed 4 plates from the back of the computer so it is wide open.

Strangely enough, when I had the old Corsair link before the new update, I was able to change the pump settings of the Cooler to quiet mode, or basically turbo mode, but, it was super loud at that point.

Really wish I had knowledge and expertise to do all this stuff on my own.

Very VERY grateful of your help with this.

Wish I could do something to return the favor. If you ever need advice on cars, guns or what beer or bourbon to drink, I got you LMFAO.
-Chris
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile