EVGA

EVGA 1080TI FTW3 - Fan Problems with brand new computer

Author
AlcoholEnthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/07/27 02:18:57 (permalink)
So I recently built a brand new computer. All parts brand new. Splurged on the best graphics card available at the time of purchase, a 1080TI FTW3. 

I have had nothing but headaches with this card. First the card and Precision wouldn't recognize my curves and the card gets too hot, so I just manually set a blanket %. Sure, that worked - but when I buy a 750$ graphics card I expect it to work. Used it like that for a while. Then fans stopped spinning. I have followed everything I can online about this. Last time this happened it just randomly started working again. This time no such luck. I've followed everything I can find online - outside of reinstalling windows again. I've uninstalled and reinstalled clean versions of Nvidia drivers (multiple times). I've uninstalled and reinstalled XOC more times then I can count. I can't get this fan to run, and I don't know what else to do. 

That post looked like a very promising potential fix. However, of course, the pictures dont work and the file on step 4 didnt automatically update so I don't know which one to find.

When it works, it's fantastic. I'm just blown away that a piece of hardware this expensive is having so many problems for so many people. IDK if other cards are having these issues, but I wish I would have got a card without this many hassles now...

Anyone have any ideas - or should I contact for an RMA?

11 Replies Related Threads

Stardust_One
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 678
    Re: EVGA 1080TI FTW3 - Fan Problems with brand new computer 2017/07/27 02:28:14 (permalink)
    How far are the temps going on your FTW?

Edit: Is it possible that you overlooked something? A lot can happen if you build a new rig... Maybe you should contact EVGA.
    post edited by Carbonshape - 2017/07/27 02:30:30

AlcoholEnthusiast
    Re: EVGA 1080TI FTW3 - Fan Problems with brand new computer 2017/07/27 02:42:08 (permalink)
    Well, the thing is they work 80% of the time. By work, I mean all the fans spinning. The curves have never worked for me, I have to manually set the % I Want them to spin at.

The fans have only stopped working twice. Last time I uninstalled and reinstalled basically everything multiple times and finally, it started working again, seemingly randomly. This time that doesn't seem to be working. After some googling, it seems like there are a good number of people having this issue. With fixes ranging from 'uninstall and reinstall XOC again' to 'do a clean install of windows' which I am simply not going to do.

That firmware update in the link I posted seemed like a good lead, but the pictures don't work so I can't explore it further since I'm stuck at one of the steps and need the pictures.

So to answer your question, I don't *think* it's something I've overlooked - because it has at time worked. And because other people seem to be having the problem soon. My temps *with* all fans working usually hovers in the low to mid 70s while playing games, and low to mid 30s just browsing the internet. *Without* the middle fan working, they get to the mid 80s while playing games (84-87). While that may be fine, it doesn't make me feel comfortable so I don't want to play until I get this resolved.

However, if I don't get a fix soon I'm going to have to contact EVGA. Wanted to see if any of their reps browsing (or anyone really) had any advice that I haven't seen yet.

Stardust_One
    SSC Member
    Re: EVGA 1080TI FTW3 - Fan Problems with brand new computer 2017/07/27 03:09:31 (permalink)
    You definatly should contact them, but I read too that someone used an older version of precision and that it worked for him.

Yoda_In_Area51
    • Total Posts : 83
    Re: EVGA 1080TI FTW3 - Fan Problems with brand new computer 2017/07/27 03:15:23 (permalink)
    This may or may not help or perhaps you have done it this way already but...

When uninstalling Precision X did you just go uninstall it from add/remove programs or did you manually delete the Precision X folder after as well?

I think I remember someone on the forums saying they had to uninstall the precision x software via the add/remove programs. Uninstall the Nvidia driver using something like DDU in safe mode. Manually delete the precision x folder (perhaps when they were in safe mode) then reinstall both Nividia drivers and Precision X software  (double checking you have the latest version) and vola it worked. 

You may have already done it this way already of course. Sounds like you may have but thought I would double check. 

-Yoda

Gaming Rig 1: CPU: Intel i7 8700K @ 5.0Ghz (de-lidded) , Mobo: Asus ROG Extreme Z390, Memory: 16GB DDR4 Gskill Trident Z 3200 Mhz, GFX: EVGA 1080TI FTW3 Hybrid , Cooling: EK custom water loop, HDD1: WD Black 250 GB M2, HDD2: Samsung EVO 850 500GB HDD3: 1TB WD, Audio: Onboard, AKG K702, Astro A40s and Razer Hammerhead Pro V2,Monitor: ROG Asus PG279Q, BenQ 27", Mouse:White Logitech G305, Keyboard:Asus Claymore TKL, 850w EVGA G2!

Gaming Rig 2: CPU: AMD 3700X , Mobo: Asus ROG Hero X570 , Memory: 16GB DDR4 Gskill Trident Z 3200 Mhz, GFX: EVGA 2070 Super FTW3 Ultra, Cooling: Deep Cool 360 EX, HDD1: 250 GB WD Black M2, HDD2:  500GB HDD3: 500GB HDD4: 1TB WD, Audio: Asus Essence STX II, Astro A40s and Razer True Wireless, Monitor: Acer Predator 27" 1080p 240HZ , Mouse: Black Logitech G305, Keyboard: Fnatic TKL, 850w EVGA G3
    Yoda_In_Area51
    • Total Posts : 83
    Re: EVGA 1080TI FTW3 - Fan Problems with brand new computer 2017/07/27 03:52:33 (permalink)
    Actually looking at another thread on the go at the moment: Precision X version .12 might have a but so perhaps see if you can get your hands on .11 perhaps.

Gaming Rig 1: CPU: Intel i7 8700K @ 5.0Ghz (de-lidded) , Mobo: Asus ROG Extreme Z390, Memory: 16GB DDR4 Gskill Trident Z 3200 Mhz, GFX: EVGA 1080TI FTW3 Hybrid , Cooling: EK custom water loop, HDD1: WD Black 250 GB M2, HDD2: Samsung EVO 850 500GB HDD3: 1TB WD, Audio: Onboard, AKG K702, Astro A40s and Razer Hammerhead Pro V2,Monitor: ROG Asus PG279Q, BenQ 27", Mouse:White Logitech G305, Keyboard:Asus Claymore TKL, 850w EVGA G2!

Gaming Rig 2: CPU: AMD 3700X , Mobo: Asus ROG Hero X570 , Memory: 16GB DDR4 Gskill Trident Z 3200 Mhz, GFX: EVGA 2070 Super FTW3 Ultra, Cooling: Deep Cool 360 EX, HDD1: 250 GB WD Black M2, HDD2:  500GB HDD3: 500GB HDD4: 1TB WD, Audio: Asus Essence STX II, Astro A40s and Razer True Wireless, Monitor: Acer Predator 27" 1080p 240HZ , Mouse: Black Logitech G305, Keyboard: Fnatic TKL, 850w EVGA G3
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: EVGA 1080TI FTW3 - Fan Problems with brand new computer 2017/07/27 06:06:26 (permalink)
    Yoda_In_Area51

When uninstalling Precision X did you just go uninstall it from add/remove programs or did you manually delete the Precision X folder after as well?

I think I remember someone on the forums saying they had to uninstall the precision x software via the add/remove programs. Uninstall the Nvidia driver using something like DDU in safe mode. Manually delete the precision x folder (perhaps when they were in safe mode) then reinstall both Nividia drivers and Precision X software  (double checking you have the latest version) and vola it worked. 

You may have already done it this way already of course. Sounds like you may have but thought I would double check. 

-Yoda

This +1

OP what OS are you using ?  If Win 10 what build are you on ?

1a) Remove Precision OCX,  --> Reboot
    1b) manually clear Precision folder --> Reboot

2) Display Driver Uninstaller, Safe Mode with Reboot - DDU

3) Install Nvidia driver, download from Nvidia ---> Do the install Offline --> With All background software OFF, even your Security software

Run the install as AdminOnly install Driver for GPU and PhysX, (Custom install), use Clean install

4) Reboot PC

5) Install Precision OCX, Run the install as Admin, Do the install Offline --> with All background software OFF, even your Security software

6) Reboot

7) Turn OFF the PC, pull the plug to PSU, hold power button down 30 sec (discharge the capacitors) plug it back in & reboot

8) Test

post edited by Cool GTX - 2017/07/27 17:55:45

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

AlcoholEnthusiast
    Re: EVGA 1080TI FTW3 - Fan Problems with brand new computer 2017/07/27 10:45:00 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Yoda_In_Area51

-Yoda

This +1

1b) manually clear Precision folder --> Reboo

2) Display Driver Uninstaller, Safe Mode with Reboot -

3) Install Nvidia driver, download from Nvidia ---> Do the install Offline --> With All background software OFF, even your Security software

Run the install as AdminOnly install Driver for GPU and PhysX, (Custom install), use Clean install

4) Reboot PC

5) Install Precision OCX, Run the install as Admin, Do the install Offline --> with All background software OFF, even your Security software

6) Reboot

7) Turn OFF the PC, pull the plug to PSU, hold power button down 30 sec (discharge the capacitors) plug it back in & reboot

8) Test

Thanks I will give this a shot when I get off work tonight, I appreciate your help. 
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 31005
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: EVGA 1080TI FTW3 - Fan Problems with brand new computer 2017/07/27 11:19:27 (permalink)
    FYI

6.1.13 is live now

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

arave
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: EVGA 1080TI FTW3 - Fan Problems with brand new computer 2017/07/27 17:20:11 (permalink)
    my galax has the same problem
    AlcoholEnthusiast
    Re: EVGA 1080TI FTW3 - Fan Problems with brand new computer 2017/07/28 00:32:02 (permalink)
    Cool GTX
    Yoda_In_Area51

-Yoda

This +1

1b) manually clear Precision folder --> Reboot

2) Display Driver Uninstaller, Safe Mode with Reboot -

4) Reboot PC

6) Reboot

8) Test

I just got home from work and did all of this. The middle fan is still not working.

Do I have to contact EVGA at this point? Idk what else to do

During the last step I ran into another problem I've been having intermittently - my dell monitor will enter power saver mode as soon as it's turned on, or as soon as the computer is turned on. After about 10 reboots and having to use HDMI instead of DP, and then changing some settings, and then moving back to DP it's working. But I'm not feeling good about the future, I've had to deal with this 4-5 times now in less weeks. Between the monitor (or is it the GPU affecting the monitor?) and the GPU fans I'm ready to pull my hair out.  
    Stardust_One
    SSC Member
    Re: EVGA 1080TI FTW3 - Fan Problems with brand new computer 2017/07/28 01:23:24 (permalink)
    What are you waiting for? You got an issue, EVGA has an costumer service including a hotline. Start calling them. Good luck.

Edit: I picked up the contact-data for you, in case you are busy with your hair: https://www.evga.com/about/contactus/
    + You don't have to do this to your hair, they will potentially fall out by itself in a few years...
    post edited by Carbonshape - 2017/07/28 01:48:40

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile