DisplayPort/Monitor not always Detected

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
sblantipodi
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 294
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: DisplayPort/Monitor not always Detected 2014/10/23 03:16:55 (permalink)
bgeery
The new 344.48 WHQL drivers seem fix (at least some of) my DisplayPort issues now.  Display on DP works after a restart, without needing to shutdown and disconnect power from PSU before rebooting PC.

it seems strange, most probably you talked too soon :)
bgeery
  • Total Posts : 17
Re: DisplayPort/Monitor not always Detected 2014/10/23 03:57:24 (permalink)
sblantipodi
bgeery
The new 344.48 WHQL drivers seem fix (at least some of) my DisplayPort issues now.  Display on DP works after a restart, without needing to shutdown and disconnect power from PSU before rebooting PC.

it seems strange, most probably you talked too soon :)

The workaround worked for me, but no need for it now.  Just tested everything I was having issues with (edited my other post, above).  Everything perfect now with the DisplayPort issues.

The final issue I'm having is the GPU clock not dropping to low when at idle, running in surround mode.  Extended desktop was at 10% TDP, while in surround mode it was idling at 40% TDP with the old drivers, and now 30% with the latest drivers.  I don't know if this is a bug or just the way surround mode works (not having purchased Nvidia before).  I'll probably start a thread to address this issue.
sblantipodi
iCX Member
Re: DisplayPort/Monitor not always Detected 2014/10/23 07:06:09 (permalink)
bgeery
The workaround worked for me, but no need for it now.  Just tested everything I was having issues with (edited my other post, above).  Everything perfect now with the DisplayPort issues.

What is the workaround you are talking about?
Thanks.
Carat-Cash
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: DisplayPort/Monitor not always Detected 2014/10/23 09:39:15 (permalink)
hdmi don't work for me with news update
bgeery
Re: DisplayPort/Monitor not always Detected 2014/10/23 12:22:40 (permalink)
sblantipodi
bgeery

What is the workaround you are talking about?
Thanks.

Message 5 describes the workaround that I was using.
stevemoore888
  • Total Posts : 12
Re: DisplayPort/Monitor not always Detected 2014/10/23 14:15:26 (permalink)
bgeery
The new 344.48 WHQL drivers seem to fix all my DisplayPort issues.

Display on DP works after a restart, without needing to shutdown and disconnect power from PSU before rebooting PC.  Display also keeps working after switching between surround and extended desktop.  I think I'm all good now!

Now, if Nvidia could just figure out how to cleanly switch between surround and extended desktop mode as well as AMD does it.  Sigh.  Well Nvidia finally forced me to find workarounds to most of the issues with using surround mode on the desktop, so I don't really feel the need to switch between them anymore.

I was scared to try them, but you gave me hope. 

It fixed mine as well . My 4th monitor now works as it should. 
sblantipodi
iCX Member
Re: DisplayPort/Monitor not always Detected 2014/10/24 01:04:07 (permalink)
stevemoore888
bgeery

Display on DP works after a restart, without needing to shutdown and disconnect power from PSU before rebooting PC.  Display also keeps working after switching between surround and extended desktop.  I think I'm all good now!

Now, if Nvidia could just figure out how to cleanly switch between surround and extended desktop mode as well as AMD does it.  Sigh.  Well Nvidia finally forced me to find workarounds to most of the issues with using surround mode on the desktop, so I don't really feel the need to switch between them anymore.

no driver can fix an hardware problem.
you talked too soon.
there are dozens of people with this new driver that continue to experience the problem.
the problem occurs randomically, so you can't say that it is fixed if it doesn't occur for a while.
bgeery
Re: DisplayPort/Monitor not always Detected 2014/10/24 02:43:34 (permalink)
sblantipodi
you talked too soon.
there are dozens of people with this new driver that continue to experience the problem.
the problem occurs randomically, so you can't say that it is fixed if it doesn't occur for a while.

OUR problems are fixed in the latest driver update.  YOURS may not be.  OUR problems were never random.  YOURS may be.

Drivers CAN often workaround hardware bugs, but regardless, and you don't have any data leading to the conclusion that it's a hardware problem in the first place.  You've reached an unsubstantiated conclusion based on a false premise.
stevemoore888
Re: DisplayPort/Monitor not always Detected 2014/10/24 04:36:36 (permalink)
sblantipodi
stevemoore888
bgeery

you talked too soon.

I don't have a hardware problem. I had a driver issue. 

After 10-12 times shutting down/rebooting, I have no problems with my machine coming on within 20 seconds from when I press "Power" to the time I start typing, where before it would hang for 60-80 seconds on a black screen while I waited. 

I don't have any problems now. I gamed all night last night wonderfully. ;-)
sblantipodi
iCX Member
Re: DisplayPort/Monitor not always Detected 2014/10/24 05:19:06 (permalink)
bgeery
OUR problems are fixed in the latest driver update.  YOURS may not be.  OUR problems were never random.  YOURS may be.

Drivers CAN often workaround hardware bugs, but regardless, and you don't have any data leading to the conclusion that it's a hardware problem in the first place.  You've reached an unsubstantiated conclusion based on a false premise.

It's an hardware problem since most motherboards emits an ERROR BEEP during post before driver is loaded.
This is clearly not a software problem, at least not at driver level.
stevemoore888
Re: DisplayPort/Monitor not always Detected 2014/10/24 10:05:58 (permalink)
sblantipodi
bgeery

It's an hardware problem since most motherboards emits an ERROR BEEP during post before driver is loaded.

Then get a new MB .

I'm playin' . :-)
bgeery
Re: DisplayPort/Monitor not always Detected 2014/10/24 10:58:28 (permalink)
sblantipodi

That's the problem you are experiencing, not all of us.  The driver update fixed issue with the DisplayPort not working.

In your particular case, a vBIOS update may be the answer then.  You might even be required to RMA it at some point for the fix to be applied.  But you don't have a clue if your problem is rooted in a hardware problem, video BIOS bug, or motherboard incompatibility/bug.

Why lay blame at the video card, then declare it's an unfixable design defect in every 900 series card ever made, and no 900 series card will never work for anyone... ever?  If you feel like that, return your card and move on to ATI for this generation of card.

It's likely video BIOS/driver updates will eventually address the issues that some are having with the cards.  If you are correct, and the cards are defective in design, I would expect a recall to be announced and the cards would be replaced with revised hardware.

So smile, and enjoy being on the bleeding edge of technology.
ph33x
  • Total Posts : 20
Re: DisplayPort/Monitor not always Detected 2014/10/24 19:01:45 (permalink)
Had this issue for 18 months. Computer won't boot into surround (multiple formats throughout time, system is very clean) but if I go into the NV options, turn off Surround and put it back on again it works fine until my next reboot.

I am running 3x GTX 680, 3x Samsung S27A750D's, all on DisplayPort, with one screen plugged into each card. I've complained on Geforce several times over the 18 months without a single reply.

Kinda sitting on my money till something gets done, which, judging my how long I've been waiting, will never happen.

Edit: I have the latest driver from a few days ago but haven't tested it yet. Mainly because it will be about the 20th driver I'll be attempting this on and I'm not expecting much. Will try yet again later today.
bgeery
Re: DisplayPort/Monitor not always Detected 2014/10/24 20:15:59 (permalink)
Message #16 in this thread might be of help to you.  Send him a message describing the situation and system details, along with the dispdiag log outputs before and after you use your workaround.  They just might need enough info to diagnose and patch your problem.  I know Nvidia seemed to get a fix out for my problem in under a week, after I sent in the requested info.  If it's a common problem, it will get fixed if they get the info they need.
badboy64
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 921
Re: DisplayPort/Monitor not always Detected 2014/10/24 20:26:50 (permalink)
This driver fixed my Display port issue too.

14th Intel® Core™ i9 14900KF CPU 3.2GHz@6.0ghz, Memory 2x24GB GSkill Trident Z Trident Z5 7200 mhz DDR5 Ram,4,000 GB MSI M480 PRO 4TB , Motherboard eVga 690 Dark , Operating System Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit, Msi Suprim X24G 4090, Monitor Acer CG437K, Logitech G910, Razer Lancehead Tournament Edition, Thermaltake View 91 RGB plus, eVga 1600w P2 PSU, Custom watercooling.
Speed Way  Score 11,055 points.
https://www.3dmark.com/sw/1112818
sblantipodi
iCX Member
Re: DisplayPort/Monitor not always Detected 2014/10/25 16:46:20 (permalink)
the driver fixed anything on my system.
sblantipodi
iCX Member
Re: DisplayPort/Monitor not always Detected 2014/10/27 03:31:02 (permalink)
I must check if my cable connect 20pin.
Is there someone who pulled off the 20pin to make a try?

http://sepczuk.com/techbl...sume-problem-resolved/
Super_KW
  • Total Posts : 20
Re: DisplayPort/Monitor not always Detected 2014/10/28 02:54:04 (permalink)
Same problem here with GTX980 SC acx 2.0 ,I bought Samsung UD590 4K monitor yesterday and i got black screen when windows start. using latest nvidia driver and MB bios, its works fine with HDMI but not with the Displayport.
cymplex
  • Total Posts : 10
Re: DisplayPort/Monitor not always Detected 2014/10/28 07:44:18 (permalink)
i am having displayport issues too. I have an Asus PA238Q and an EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 graphics card. My issue seems to be two-fold.

1) Switching inputs on my monitor from DVI (laptop) to Displayport (PC) will more often than not (9/10) result in the screen of my PC being fuzzy and blurry and pixelated looking. I will then have to sort through all the inputs again on my monitor before getting the screen to look normal. This takes several tries at times.

2) When booting, my PC will splash the start-up screen that displays bios/motherboard logo and then the screen will turn off, as if, there is no signal. The PC is still on. Meanwhile, the monitor seems to be at sleep and flashing "No Video Signal" every few seconds or so. The only way I got it to work was to unplug and replug the DP cable and then press and hold the power button on my PC. This happens every time.

I have circumvented the solution by using DVI-I. But, I prefer DP and prefer DP for how Displayport is crisper looking than DVI. Also, down the road, I may want to use Displayport for newer tech.

Please help. Is this hardware or software issue. I need to find out soon so I can return the GTX 970 at the store I bought it from, instead of having to mail it out to EVGA down the road, if indeed, it is a hardware issue with the displayport.

Thanks.

PS--I am also using latest Nvidia driver. 

PSS--the problem is not my monitor or my DP cable. I switched out the GTX 970 to my older card (GTX 680) using DP and it works fine.
sblantipodi
iCX Member
Re: DisplayPort/Monitor not always Detected 2014/10/28 08:10:04 (permalink)
cymplex
PSS--the problem is not my monitor or my DP cable. I switched out the GTX 970 to my older card (GTX 680) using DP and it works fine.

My DP cable connects PIN 20, this can damage monitor.
I don't know if GTX780 isolate the 20 PIN and GTX970/980 not.

In this case a 19PIN cable is needed.
I just ordered a 19PIN display port cable and I will report you back if I solved the problem.

cymplex
Re: DisplayPort/Monitor not always Detected 2014/10/28 08:19:36 (permalink)
sblantipodi
cymplex

My DP cable connects PIN 20, this can damage monitor.
I don't know if GTX780 isolate the 20 PIN and GTX970/980 not.

In this case a 19PIN cable is needed.
I just ordered a 19PIN display port cable and I will report you back if I solved the problem.

How do I find out out about this number of pins? And whether or not, my current DP cable is 19 PIN or 20 PIN?

Thanks.

sblantipodi
iCX Member
Re: DisplayPort/Monitor not always Detected 2014/10/28 08:22:38 (permalink)
cymplex
How do I find out out about this number of pins? And whether or not, my current DP cable is 19 PIN or 20 PIN?
Thanks.

Most cheap cables is not VESA compliant so it connects PIN20.
The only real way to see if your cable is a 19PIN is to check for the 20PIN, if it is not present it must be 19PIN, if it is present your last chance is to check it with a multimeter.

20PIN cable can damage your monitor and your card irreparabily since it throws current in a port that must not receive current.

cymplex
Re: DisplayPort/Monitor not always Detected 2014/10/28 08:29:47 (permalink)
so what brand/displayport cable do you recommend?

I am asking because it is often difficult to find out pin configuration from these cables when looking at them online.

Also, what guarantee do you have that, if I buy a 19PIN DP cable per suggestion that it will work?

So, you're basically saying that to fix the issue that many of us are experiencing with no video signal on displayports with the GTX 900 series cards is to use a 19PIN DP cable?

So, the GTX900 series card is basically protecting itself from the extra 20th pin?
sblantipodi
iCX Member
Re: DisplayPort/Monitor not always Detected 2014/10/28 08:35:17 (permalink)
cymplex
so what brand/displayport cable do you recommend?

I am asking because it is often difficult to find out pin configuration from these cables when looking at them online.

Also, what guarantee do you have that, if I buy a 19PIN DP cable per suggestion that it will work?

So, you're basically saying that to fix the issue that many of us are experiencing with no video signal on displayports with the GTX 900 series cards is to use a 19PIN DP cable?

So, the GTX900 series card is basically protecting itself from the extra 20th pin?

select the cable checkbox and than click search, this will give you a list of compatible cables.
I don't know if a 19PIN cable could fix this problem, I hope so, give me some days until my 19pin cable arrive.
One thing is sure, I don't want to fed my monitor with current in the wrong points.
cymplex
Re: DisplayPort/Monitor not always Detected 2014/10/28 08:36:45 (permalink)
do you have any links as where you get this information that a 20 pin Displayport cable will short out your equipment?
sblantipodi
iCX Member
Re: DisplayPort/Monitor not always Detected 2014/10/28 08:48:20 (permalink)
cymplex
do you have any links as where you get this information that a 20 pin Displayport cable will short out your equipment?

http://sepczuk.com/techbl...sume-problem-resolved/

this thread is goo too.
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1803684

post edited by sblantipodi - 2014/10/28 08:51:43
cymplex
Re: DisplayPort/Monitor not always Detected 2014/10/28 08:54:58 (permalink)
do you have any other link, document from a more professional source? The link you provided was from one person tinkering with the DP cable. 
sblantipodi
iCX Member
Re: DisplayPort/Monitor not always Detected 2014/10/28 09:08:44 (permalink)
cymplex
do you have any other link, document from a more professional source? The link you provided was from one person tinkering with the DP cable. 

no, this is why I'm trying it by my self with a 19pin cable.
here:
http://www.displayport.org/faq/

they say this:

Q: Why isn’t there a wire on pin 20 (POWER) on the standard external DisplayPort cables?

A: The reason power isn’t included in standard cables is because both source and sink devices are designed to provide power. Captive, attached cables often include the power wire. If it is desired, for example, that a particular source device utilize the power available from the mating sink device, then that Source device could include an attached or dedicated cable that carries the DisplayPort power signal. Same could be applied to a sink device.

Hopper64
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 735
Re: DisplayPort/Monitor not always Detected 2014/10/28 14:00:19 (permalink)

Asus Maximus Z690E
i9 12900KS
GSkill F5-6000U3636E16GX2-TZ5RK
Samsung 980 Pro
Corsair AX1600i                                                   
Asus Strix 3090 OC
EKWB Quantum Kinetic TBE 300 and VTX 160
Creative SB X4
Asus ROG XG349C
cymplex
Re: DisplayPort/Monitor not always Detected 2014/10/28 17:13:10 (permalink)
Ok. So, I ran out (ok, drove out) to B&H to get the Startech Displayport since it says "Number of conductors: 19" in the technical spec of the page link below. But, when I was at the store, the plastic bag packaging says 20-pin. So, I was really bummed. I bought it anyway since I can always return it. And, sadly, this new DP cable exhibited the same issue as my old DP cable (It's from a company called Bizlink, if that makes a difference). Black screen, no video signal and when I did get it to work by unplugging cable, turning PC off, replugging cable and turning PC back on. I would get a fuzzy/blurry/pixelated screen when I switch back and forth from the different inputs of my monitor (it has VGA, DVI, DP & HDMI inputs).

So, back goes in the bag is this cable and I'm back in square one.

The cable I got was from B&H: 6' Startech Displayport Male to Displayport Male (DISPLPRT6L) 

I can't put a link up. But just google "DISPLRT6L" or "Startech....."

post edited by cymplex - 2014/10/28 18:41:44
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile