EVGA

Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ?

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Author
kram36
The Destroyer
  • Total Posts : 21477
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 72
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/16 18:30:19 (permalink)
EVGA_JacobF
Here is the official EVGA statement:

First, we value the relationship that we have with RivaTuner Alex/Unwinder since Feb.13th, 2008. With EVGA and Alex/Unwinder mutual efforts, Precision has become a very popular overclocking utility since it launched. Afterburner’s first release was in Oct. 2009.

It was originally EVGA’s idea to provide the world’s first “simple” overclocking GUI designed for NVIDIA cards that utilizes some of the Rivatuner technology for free. Due to some misinformation floating around about EVGA Precision recently, we would like to clarify several points. Also, EVGA wouldn’t have any interest to develop our own version if Alex/Unwinder had showed his interest back then like we’ve seen today!

1. The EVGA Precision main GUI (main Window) and format was fully designed and owned by EVGA, that means Alex/Unwinder did not design the Precision GUI at all. The Rivatuner technology was used for the backend like GPU reporting, OSD and overclocking. Other features like voltage tuning, pixel clock control and Bluetooth function were coded by EVGA. We want it to be clear that Rivatuner source code has never been released to EVGA. A year and half after Precision was introduced, Afterburner was released, that shared a lot of the same ideas and concepts originally set by EVGA’s Precision, and also used Rivatuner technology.
2. Most gamers knew that some of the key features that have been requested and missed such as 64bit OSD, voltage control and video recording in the early versions of Precision, yet Afterburner had it. You probably don’t know that some of those ideas were initiated and requested to Alex/Unwinder by EVGA to implement into Precision well before it was available in Afterburner, but Alex/Unwinder had no intention to add it. One year later they showed up in Afterburner exclusively without any notification and/or offer to EVGA. We felt that we became Alex/Unwinder and Afterburner’s free consultant if we continue this route.

We like Precision, the interface and the features, just like most of the gamers in the community, but under these circumstances, it became clear that in order to provide more features that are requested by the community, we needed to recode the back end from the ground up, using our own existing Precision skin designed as merely inspiration, that is why today we have the new EVGA PrecisionX 15. In the latest PrecisionX 15 we have put in some features like 64bit OSD support, Steam achievements and more. We want to make it clear that EVGA PrecisionX 15 is 100% coded in house without using any code from the older Precision due to we don’t have the source code since day one!

EVGA will continue adding features to support the community on PrecisionX15 for free as usual, and hope to inspire other overclocking utilities to be better for the entire gaming community.

The bottom line is that EVGA doesn’t want any third party to dictate what features the community should or should not have!

EVGA

This is perfect, straight forward and to the point. Thank You EVGA!
kaninja
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8755
  • Ribbons : 25
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/16 19:00:53 (permalink)
So what is Rivatuner's Llicense agreement EULA doing in PrecisionX 15?  Perhaps shedding some light on that will be the final "Ah ha" moment in clarifying all this.

EVGA_JacobF
The bottom line is that EVGA doesn’t want any third party to dictate what features the community should or should not have!

EVGA

I must say, this sounds like "Dare keep any of your stuff from us and we will kick you out and clone your work anyway......Rrrrrrrrrr".

post edited by kaninja - 2014/07/16 19:04:53

Corsair 650D   -  i5 3570K @ 4.6GHz  -  Corsair H80i  -  MSI Z77 M-Power  -  16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum
WD 1TB Caviar Black x2  -  OCZ 120GB Vertex2 SSD  -  Corsair HX620  -  GTX285 SSC  -  Samsung T240  -  DIR-655

gizmo88
  • Total Posts : 71
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/16 19:01:20 (permalink)
I'm really disappointed in the lack of integrity with Evga on this one. This will affect my purchasing habits in the future. 
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/16 19:06:23 (permalink)
kaninja
So what is Rivatuner's Llicense agreement EULA doing in PrecisionX 15?  Perhaps shedding some light on that will be the final "Ah ha" moment in clarifying all this.

EVGA_JacobF

EVGA

I must say, this sounds like "Dare keep any of your stuff from us and we will kick you out and clone your work anyway......Rrrrrrrrrr".

Or this might be as simple as MSI paid better.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

kaninja
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/16 19:24:55 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
kaninja

EVGA_JacobF

EVGA

That is fine.  It still gives nobody the right to copy and paste his work......IF that indeed is what happened.  Unwinder has looked at the new Precision and has seen some stuff that is directly from his own work.......either he is lying, which I doubt because the coding community will all be looking at this, and if there are parts of it that were copied then it will come to light.....if not, then EVGA will be shown to be wrongfully accused in all this.  However, from what I've known about Unwinder over the years, he may be many things.....a liar isn't one of them.

Corsair 650D   -  i5 3570K @ 4.6GHz  -  Corsair H80i  -  MSI Z77 M-Power  -  16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum
WD 1TB Caviar Black x2  -  OCZ 120GB Vertex2 SSD  -  Corsair HX620  -  GTX285 SSC  -  Samsung T240  -  DIR-655

MADOGRE
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1262
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/16 19:35:31 (permalink)
WOW I just installed this new one and Outlook express keeps crashing, came here to see whats up and found this.... I think EVGA has some splaning to do!
maskedmenace
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 377
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/16 20:33:11 (permalink)
kram36
This is perfect, straight forward and to the point. Thank You EVGA!

Actually, it's far from perfect.

Jacob doublespeaks, frequently...That "official statement" is them talking in circles which, never ceases to end.

After the X79 Classified debacle, AFAIC, they can pound sand but, I've been a part of the Guru community long before the EVGA community and I've gotta say, being in this industry for over a decade, I completely side with Unwinder...Even though he is a pompous - well - mouthy individual, GURU is a bit beyond reproach.

After the whole X79 Classified situation -- This doesn't surprise me in the least.

Return of the Sith
Case-Labs STH10 Custom, Asus RIVE, Intel 3930k Oc'd 5.0ghz, Corsair Dominator 4x4 2133C9, 3x 780 Lightnings Tri-SLI, 2x Corsair AX1200i, 2x Intel Cherryville 240gb SSD's, 2x Caviar Black 1tb, 100% water ~ Heatkiller cooled.
tsunami231
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 237
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/16 20:47:39 (permalink)
EVGA_JacobF
Here is the official EVGA statement:

First, we value the relationship that we have with RivaTuner Alex/Unwinder since Feb.13th, 2008. With EVGA and Alex/Unwinder mutual efforts, Precision has become a very popular overclocking utility since it launched. Afterburner’s first release was in Oct. 2009.

It was originally EVGA’s idea to provide the world’s first “simple” overclocking GUI designed for NVIDIA cards that utilizes some of the Rivatuner technology for free. Due to some misinformation floating around about EVGA Precision recently, we would like to clarify several points. Also, EVGA wouldn’t have any interest to develop our own version if Alex/Unwinder had showed his interest back then like we’ve seen today!

1. The EVGA Precision main GUI (main Window) and format was fully designed and owned by EVGA, that means Alex/Unwinder did not design the Precision GUI at all. The Rivatuner technology was used for the backend like GPU reporting, OSD and overclocking. Other features like voltage tuning, pixel clock control and Bluetooth function were coded by EVGA. We want it to be clear that Rivatuner source code has never been released to EVGA. A year and half after Precision was introduced, Afterburner was released, that shared a lot of the same ideas and concepts originally set by EVGA’s Precision, and also used Rivatuner technology.
2. Most gamers knew that some of the key features that have been requested and missed such as 64bit OSD, voltage control and video recording in the early versions of Precision, yet Afterburner had it. You probably don’t know that some of those ideas were initiated and requested to Alex/Unwinder by EVGA to implement into Precision well before it was available in Afterburner, but Alex/Unwinder had no intention to add it. One year later they showed up in Afterburner exclusively without any notification and/or offer to EVGA. We felt that we became Alex/Unwinder and Afterburner’s free consultant if we continue this route.

We like Precision, the interface and the features, just like most of the gamers in the community, but under these circumstances, it became clear that in order to provide more features that are requested by the community, we needed to recode the back end from the ground up, using our own existing Precision skin designed as merely inspiration, that is why today we have the new EVGA PrecisionX 15. In the latest PrecisionX 15 we have put in some features like 64bit OSD support, Steam achievements and more. We want to make it clear that EVGA PrecisionX 15 is 100% coded in house without using any code from the older Precision due to we don’t have the source code since day one!

EVGA will continue adding features to support the community on PrecisionX15 for free as usual, and hope to inspire other overclocking utilities to be better for the entire gaming community.

EVGA

Lie much evga? Alex was interesting in letting evga use RTSS till you let your forums users spread lies about RTSS corrupting drivers which it can not, using Precison X or AB and changing things things in that possible can corrupt drivers RTSS can not and People here still say the same crap, he ask you to put stop to it to and you's did nothing.

Bad publicity is better then no publicity right? 

Precision x 15 lasted less then 5 mintues on my pc it blatent rip off of alex work  and the OSD function are still inferior  to boot.
post edited by tsunami231 - 2014/07/16 20:51:18

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21174
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/16 21:05:41 (permalink)
kaninja
HeavyHemi
kaninja

EVGA_JacobF

EVGA

That is fine.  It still gives nobody the right to copy and paste his work......IF that indeed is what happened.  Unwinder has looked at the new Precision and has seen some stuff that is directly from his own work.......either he is lying, which I doubt because the coding community will all be looking at this, and if there are parts of it that were copied then it will come to light.....if not, then EVGA will be shown to be wrongfully accused in all this.  However, from what I've known about Unwinder over the years, he may be many things.....a liar isn't one of them.

The 'coding community' can't really help because only EVGA and Unwinder has access to their own original code and the coding community couldn't possibly know whose work is whose. All the coding community could point out is what matches but cannot say why the work matches or who originally created that work.

It's only word against word. I don't really care. Let it blow over.

Just because the resource ids match doesn't prove anything. If EVGA already had designed their nice UI, and they already have their nice UI expecting certain resource ids, of course they are going to reprogram the source code to use the same resource ids rather than renaming everything. It is just a label and is not copyrighted. It proves nothing to use the same ids.

Anyone can open the two up in reshacker and check for resource matches. But it proves nothing unless Unwinder can also prove that he exclusively owns the UI. If EVGA owns the ui, then it only makes sense that they would want to use the same resource ids in the backend source code only EVGA can see.

EVGA can only see EVGA's source code and Unwinder can only see Unwider's source code. Much a deal about nothing. Someone give this man a BR.
post edited by ty_ger07 - 2014/07/16 21:28:44

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

ty_ger07
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 21174
  • Ribbons : 270
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/16 23:15:17 (permalink)
Halo_003
Surprised this is still here.

Waiting to see what comes of this. I do find it hilarious though that EVGA can design all of these advantages but can't support software voltage tuning for past cards. (GTX 295, GTX 285 Classified, and GTX 580), none of which have proper voltage tuning through current versions of PrecisionX.

How do you design around hardware limitations? This is quite a pointless and unresearched argument. Software requires hardware compatibility. If the hardware doesn't support software voltage tuning capability it is because EVGA is stupid? Come on! I posted a volt mod guide about this subject if you care to look.

ASRock Z77 • Intel Core i7 3770K • EVGA GTX 1080 • Samsung 850 Pro • Seasonic PRIME 600W Titanium
My EVGA Score: 1546 • Zero Associates Points • I don't shill

kaninja
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 01:02:20 (permalink)
Yes I agree, give that man a BR....only one that has made sense in a few posts. :)

Antykain
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 422
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 02:16:58 (permalink)
Curious to see how this plays out.  But, I will say this.  Whatever happens over all the events unfolding with the EVGA PrecisionX 15 release, I will continue to support, and use EVGA products.  I have installed and using the new PrecisionX 15, and while it is a bit buggy with some of it's features, I will continue using it.  Nice to see EVGA make an official statement anywho.  

brb.. going to grab some popcorn.  

Rig Specs:   ASUS Maximus XI Hero Z390 | Intel i9-9900k 5.1GHz | EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB 3600MHz | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P6 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe | Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB | EK Custom Watercooling Loop | 2x Viewsonic Elite XG270QG 27" 1440p

pathfindercod
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 462
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 05:21:38 (permalink)
The new prec x causes all kinds of issues anyway. I'll go back to what works.... Good luck EVGA...
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102313
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 05:28:59 (permalink)
If anyone finds any bugs feel free to report this to an EVGA tech support rep or any of the mods. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 25794
  • Ribbons : 110
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 05:39:52 (permalink)
The way I see this... This is a perfect example of how NOT to use the internet. Folks are far to comfortable in getting on a soap box, while having a particular type of audience in their minds, not recognizing that all audience types are present. 

"One should not air dirty laundry on the internet" as it lives for ever. And now a few folks are never going to recover from the mess they made.

It is one thing to have a disagreement and research possible violations. It is quite another doing it in open waters (Internet) as it is far more dangerous once the anger has drifted away and the truth or truths reveal themselves. Then one of two choices has to be made. 1 Denial and making yourself look like a troll and forever be the butt of jokes. 2 Admit the error and face the consequences. And probably still be the butt of jokes, but not for as long as #1...

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102313
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 07:06:32 (permalink)
Racist type of statements aren't allowed on this forum. Such posts will be deleted and possible warnings given out. If another similar violation occurs in this thread it will be locked. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

loveha
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10497
  • Ribbons : 65
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 07:07:18 (permalink)
If EVGA wants to save face, they need to not release it, or pull it if it has been, and change it all.

Case - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
Mobo - EVGA X570 FTW
CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
RAM - 32GB Trident Z Royal 3600MHz 14-14-14-34
GPU - EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming
PSU - Seasonic Prime TX-1000
Heatkiller IV CPU Waterblock / Heatkiller V GPU Waterblock
Heatkiller V EBC Active Backplate / Two Heatkiller Rad 360 L
Six Noctua NF-A12x25 / Heatkiller D5 Pump
Halo_003
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 12859
  • Ribbons : 51
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 07:13:42 (permalink)
Can't decide if Jacob's statement clears it up or makes it more confusing. I'm not a coding person, so I'm going to take a backseat on this one.

ty_ger07

How do you design around hardware limitations? This is quite a pointless and unresearched argument. Software requires hardware compatibility. If the hardware doesn't support software voltage tuning capability it is because EVGA is stupid? Come on! I posted a volt mod guide about this subject if you care to look.

Allow me to clarify. All of the cards I listed WERE supported by Precision when they released, in updated versions of PrecisionX after a new series releases, the support is dropped. IE, GTX 580 Classified can no longer be voltage tuned with present versions of PX. The hardware is absolutely there, however there is no backwards hardware support in PX. I am also well aware of your volt mod guide for the reference GTX 285, which unlike the cards I listed(GTX 295 dual PCB, GTX 285 Classified, GTX 580 Classified), does not have the hardware to be software voltage controlled. The GTX 480 AFAIK support was also dropped in recent versions of PX. If you look up the cards I listed, all of them did include software voltage tuning. This isn't an issue of hardware limitations. It's an issue of continued support.

i7 7700K - ASUS Maximus IX Apex - 16GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3466MHz C16 - 5700 XT 50th Anniversary

maskedmenace
iCX Member
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 07:31:31 (permalink)
Afterburner
The way I see this... This is a perfect example of how NOT to use the internet. Folks are far to comfortable in getting on a soap box, while having a particular type of audience in their minds, not recognizing that all audience types are present. 

"One should not air dirty laundry on the internet" as it lives for ever. And now a few folks are never going to recover from the mess they made.

It is one thing to have a disagreement and research possible violations. It is quite another doing it in open waters (Internet) as it is far more dangerous once the anger has drifted away and the truth or truths reveal themselves. Then one of two choices has to be made. 1 Denial and making yourself look like a troll and forever be the butt of jokes. 2 Admit the error and face the consequences. And probably still be the butt of jokes, but not for as long as #1...

This is actually my 2nd post in over a year...Which is quite sad because I used to love this community but, the way we were treated during the X79 situation was, unacceptable. Lied to on the phone BY EVGA, sent in repeated RMA's sometimes even getting an old "refurbished" motherboards back that other users had documented as not working...It was genuinely, beyond my scope of forgiveness...In fact, my last discussion was with you, sir...And I have a great amount of respect for you (Even before you became a mod and after) but, I feel it was time to air this.

I've been a part of the Guru3d site for many, many years, long before I joined here. We used to have to host the Alienware mobile drivers there because our servers were often so overloaded it caused issues.

I find Unwinder to be mouthy...Some choice words I can't use here...But, he's brilliant. What he brings to the community is 2nd to none.

AFAIK this issue has been brewing for a very long time and has been ignored by EVGA for a long time. It's because of that "ignorance" and lack of "acknowledgement" that this entire situation was brought to the table.

I wouldn't say this is dirty laundry...Not after the past few years and the direction EVGA is heading...EVGA wants to sit on their pedestal of glory and show the peons how far they've come when in reality, they've regressed...Substantially.

Unwinder has proof, substantial proof, that EVGA basically copy/pasted the entire 4 corners of the application in discussion -- The only REAL QUESTION is, did they have permission or not? According to Unwinder, they didn't. According to EVGA's talking in circles and Jacob's endless ability to double talk it's: We don't know but, we did it anyway...Now we're investigating to see how bad the situation really is.

Honestly, even without the X79 situation, I'd side with Unwinder -- The EULA is copy/pasted...Literally...If you're too lazy to even write your own EULA, I call out the rest.

Return of the Sith
Case-Labs STH10 Custom, Asus RIVE, Intel 3930k Oc'd 5.0ghz, Corsair Dominator 4x4 2133C9, 3x 780 Lightnings Tri-SLI, 2x Corsair AX1200i, 2x Intel Cherryville 240gb SSD's, 2x Caviar Black 1tb, 100% water ~ Heatkiller cooled.
zildjian75
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1261
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 07:34:21 (permalink)
rjohnson11
Racist type of statements aren't allowed on this forum. Such posts will be deleted and possible warnings given out. If another similar violation occurs in this thread it will be locked. 

Nooooooo!!!  I wouldn't recommend that.  It will make EVGA look even worse whether or not this is legit or not.  You mods are just going to have to delete the stupid statements but let the thread go. I know that's not in your blood, but it is what it is. 

post edited by zildjian75 - 2014/07/17 07:58:10

"The wise know their weakness too well to assume infallibility; and he who knows most, knows best how little he knows."   Thomas Jefferson

RIG#1 (Home) - i7 4790k @ 4.4ghz w/ CM V8 GTS - EVGA Z97 Classified - Win10 64bit - Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB) @ 2133mhz - 2 x EVGA GTX 980SC in SLI - Corsair AX850 - 250GB Samsung Evo (main) - 500GB Samsung Evo (games) - 1TB WD Black (misc) - Aerocool Strike-X (Cheesy... But effective!)

WinMacLin
  • Total Posts : 77
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 07:43:53 (permalink)
Have to say that this whole situation really disappoints me. I liked that you guys supported Unwinder, Rivatuna is amazing software.

To simply clone the software right down to the same rasterized graphics, menu layouts/texts, graph layouts and heck even the End User License Agreement is copy and pasted. That's Unwinders license with references to him and you've used it in your own installer.. that's just bizarre and show that your intentions were to create a 1:1 copy without authorisation.

I can understand your frustration where MSI had exclusive features in After Burner that you did not including the 64-bit OSD. But that doesn't mean you can just plagiarize the whole software. You should pay a license fee to get that and other features, that is how business works. If Ford created the same car as GM in physical appearance even without using any of the same design materials you think Ford would just sit by? No, they would sue immediately!

Whilst you may not have technically broken any laws (although I think that is still left to be determined) this is morally wrong. The last thing I want to say is that in my mind your brand just dropped a few notches and I now see EVGA in the same realm as a cheap knock off artist, this will be reflected in my future buying decisions, I don't want to support this kind of moral ambiguity with my money.

Brad_Hawthorne
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 23174
  • Ribbons : 39
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 07:47:16 (permalink)
I think people are missing the point a bit. It's not about copyright infringement of codebase, it's an issue of intellectual property when one uses a duplicate of a software interface. Frankly, it seems to me like a falling out occurred somewhere along the line and this is just the aftermath. The way this has been handled on both sides is a bit ridiculous though. It makes both sides look bad. One would guess that there are multiple NDA breaches in all of this with how this was aired out.

The real issue is who owns the intellectual property rights to the interface design? Who breached NDA talking about what in this dialogue? Was there a no derivative works clause in the EULA at anytime? Who owns the EULA that was copied? ETC... None of that is really any of the public's business though. You don't resolve business issues by airing dirty laundry in a public venue like children.
post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2014/07/17 07:54:30
WinMacLin
  • Total Posts : 77
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 07:49:21 (permalink)
Brad_Hawthorne
I think people are missing the point a bit. It's not about copyright infringement of codebase, it's an issue of intellectual property when one uses a duplicate of a software interface. Frankly, it seems to me like a falling out occurred somewhere along the line and this is just the aftermath. The way this has been handled on both sides is a bit ridiculous though. It makes both sides look bad.

I think what occurred is MSI got their contracts in first for 64-bit OSD and other features. EVGA had to wait and this is the result.

The thing is, none of us would have had a problem with EVGA developing their own Precision X had it not been an unashamed clone of Unwinders. It's not fair, it's not right.

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 07:58:17 (permalink)
Is the code from programmers not owned by the company that request the code for a software or an application written?
If EVGA has EVGA Precision X should the code not also belong to EVGA?
I never installed or used RTSSSetup501.exe part of EVGA PrecisionX.
I would like to read the EULA from Unwinder to EVGA to see who owns the code and what rights EVGA and Alexey Nicolaychuk have to the code after it was passed on the EVGA.
I think the whole deal with this is going will cause Programs that provide codding from Home for lack of a better term to lose customers. If I was to pay a Programmer to write a tool for me I would own the code and not only the tool.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

maskedmenace
iCX Member
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 08:00:27 (permalink)
Brad_Hawthorne
I think people are missing the point a bit. It's not about copyright infringement of codebase, it's an issue of intellectual property when one uses a duplicate of a software interface. Frankly, it seems to me like a falling out occurred somewhere along the line and this is just the aftermath. The way this has been handled on both sides is a bit ridiculous though. It makes both sides look bad. One would guess that there are multiple NDA breaches in all of this with how this was aired out.

The real issue is who owns the intellectual property rights to the interface design? Who breached NDA talking about what in this dialogue? Was there a no derivative works clause in the EULA at anytime? Who owns the EULA that was copied? ETC... None of that is really any of the public's business though. You don't resolve business issues by airing dirty laundry in a public venue like children.

The article actually breaks it down to the point of where you can actually see, it was a direct copy. They essentially, when they didn't get equal "upgrades" branched off, took the entire program and just built onto it. -- There's really no question/argument if it was copied or not, it was. -- EVGA's claim to have "built this from scratch" holds as much water as my colander does.

You are correct, though -- The only question at this point is: Who owns the rights?

To that, considering Unwinder is making a stink about it and the supporting facts that GURU dug up, I'd say Unwinder does.

Don't worry though, Jacob will be here momentarily to continue endlessly talking in circles.

Return of the Sith
MADOGRE
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1262
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 08:22:30 (permalink)
Losing more costumers by the minuet, EVGA knows what they did is wrong!
primarylupine
  • Total Posts : 43
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 08:48:39 (permalink)
MADOGRE
Losing more costumers by the minuet, EVGA knows what they did is wrong!

You can almost hear the tiny violins. I think this release needs to go Bach to the drawing board.
candle_86
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3677
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 08:51:21 (permalink)
nah good folks will continue to support EVGA and continue to buy Quality American products.
kaninja
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 09:06:06 (permalink)
candle_86
nah good folks will continue to support EVGA and continue to buy Quality American products.

lol, what American products....most of what they sell is made in Asia.

maskedmenace
iCX Member
Re: Did EVGA just Steal the Rivatuner RTSS design concept into PrecisionX 15 ? 2014/07/17 10:03:12 (permalink)
Per Unwinder:

Hope those are my last comments on this story. First, there are different rumors walking on the net related to the product licensing terms. Some people are trying to justify copying from the previous versions, so I’d like to clarify that to prevent any misunderstanding:

The agreement defines the following intellectual property ownership terms: software product which I develop remains my copyrighted property, but during the contract the company receives exclusive distribution rights on it. Besides exclusive software distribution rights the company exclusively owns all the rest intellectual property, which is not directly related to software and which I could create during the contract: i.e. product name, product logos, artwork. That’s all. There are absolutely no ways to fit any form of previous software copy-pasting into the licensing model.

Second, I just decided to peek inside "in-house" application EXE. I'd better avoid doing so: even my original EXE string table is inside new executable as is. Including all the messages of original application, including all the messages of my proprietary USF skin compiler / decompiler built into original RivaTuner skinning engine, even including the references to original RivaTuner core libraries (RTTSH.dll). Even including the messages related to RivaTuner’s G15 LCD output module, which the company probably also tried to clone but couldn’t get working yet. Really, EVGA? 

Dear company PRs, take a fair advice and simply stop giving any public comments with fake excuses. I’m not going to start a legal action against the company, I’m not asking for ANY compensation. I just want to let my users know the truth, protect my software, my ideas and technologies and then forget our past partnership. Just keep your lips sealed and let this story die istelf. Do not beat the dead horse.

This really puts a solid end to the debacle.

It was copied. EVGA failed to give him credit...It is what it is.

Return of the Sith
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile