Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 8
Author
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/25 11:13:10 (permalink)
kram36
AHowes
kram36
AHowes
Buy a GPU from newegg?? And other then evga? No thanks.. no returns at newegg and one would be crazy to possibly deal with another company if it comes time to rma.

Then the higher prices at EVGA's store are justified for you.

Last 10 series card I purchased was the EVGA GTX 1060 06G-P4-6768-KR I purchased at Newegg for $289.99

I buy from microcenter whenever possible as it's way too easy to return or exchange anything there!

There's 6 evga ftw3 non hybrids there atm for $1079.99.

Though the last card "evga ftw3 hybrid" I bought at evga for $860 plus shipping maybe 2 months ago.

I believe evga will charge 25% for returns.

Not everyone has a Micro Center next to them.

HeavyHemi
You want me to explain your argument then claim I am the one making a 'strawman argument'? Evga is dependent on Nvidia, a fact. volume gets EVGA parts cheaper, another fact. What was the strawman?  Your opinion of what is going on behind the scenes with Nvidia and EVGA is just that. EVGA has always had a price premium over Gigabyte. Isn't that a strawman that has nothing to do with EVGA, anyway? And if you don't mind, I'll move on when I feel like it and make whatever arguments I like. I expect you'd  demand the same courtesy, right.

Nope, don't need you to explain anything I have posted. This is the 2nd time you have taken this thread off topic with your arguing with straw man arguments. If you're fine with the prices EVGA has in their store, state it and move on, it's that easy.

Then why did you ask me to explain? This is the second time you have used the term 'strawman' incorrectly.  If you're unable defend your arguments, fine. Do not misrepresent mine. Just admit you can't and move on. It's that easy. If I knew this was going to be solely a  'Kram's thread to complain about EVGA's pricing and anyone who disagrees can shut up and go away while I cry', instead of the DISCUSSION thread you claimed somebody else asked you to make, I never would have replied. My bad. Hows that for a "strawman". I'll leave you to your angst.
post edited by HeavyHemi - 2018/03/25 11:30:10

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

kram36
The Destroyer
  • Total Posts : 21477
  • Ribbons : 72
Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/25 11:45:37 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
kram36
AHowes
kram36
AHowes
Buy a GPU from newegg?? And other then evga? No thanks.. no returns at newegg and one would be crazy to possibly deal with another company if it comes time to rma.

Last 10 series card I purchased was the EVGA GTX 1060 06G-P4-6768-KR I purchased at Newegg for $289.99

I buy from microcenter whenever possible as it's way too easy to return or exchange anything there!

Though the last card "evga ftw3 hybrid" I bought at evga for $860 plus shipping maybe 2 months ago.

HeavyHemi
You want me to explain your argument then claim I am the one making a 'strawman argument'? Evga is dependent on Nvidia, a fact. volume gets EVGA parts cheaper, another fact. What was the strawman?  Your opinion of what is going on behind the scenes with Nvidia and EVGA is just that. EVGA has always had a price premium over Gigabyte. Isn't that a strawman that has nothing to do with EVGA, anyway? And if you don't mind, I'll move on when I feel like it and make whatever arguments I like. I expect you'd  demand the same courtesy, right.

Nope, don't need you to explain anything I have posted. This is the 2nd time you have taken this thread off topic with your arguing with straw man arguments. If you're fine with the prices EVGA has in their store, state it and move on, it's that easy.

Then why did you ask me to explain? This is the second time you have used the term 'strawman' incorrectly.  If you're unable defend your arguments, fine. Do not misrepresent mine. Just admit you can't and move on. It's that easy. If I knew this was going to be solely a  'Kram's thread to complain about EVGA's pricing and anyone who disagrees can shut up and go away while I cry', instead of the DISCUSSION thread you claimed somebody else asked you to make, I never would have replied. My bad. Hows that for a "strawman". I'll leave you to your angst.

Your arguments are straw man arguments. Gigabyte makes non reference high end video cards just as good as EVGA's cards, yet you can get them through Newegg cheaper then EVGA cards direct from EVGA's own store. Gigabyte does not get their gpu's from nVidia any cheaper then EVGA does. You used the excuse that EVGA has always had a price premium over Gigabyte, which isn't true, just a straw man argument. Are you happy with EVGA's current store prices?
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/25 12:35:03 (permalink)
kram36
HeavyHemi
kram36
AHowes
kram36
AHowes

HeavyHemi

Your arguments are straw man arguments. Gigabyte makes non reference high end video cards just as good as EVGA's cards, yet you can get them through Newegg cheaper then EVGA cards direct from EVGA's own store. Gigabyte does not get their gpu's from nVidia any cheaper then EVGA does. You used the excuse that EVGA has always had a price premium over Gigabyte, which isn't true, just a straw man argument. Are you happy with EVGA's current store prices?

I didn't bring up Gigabyte, you did. You're literally blaming me for YOUR strawman.  Then you make a bunch of claims regarding prices which you cannot know (a mistake you made before that I clearly pointed out) and you've turned this thread into your personal vendetta over EVGA's pricing and accuse them alone of scalping based on your opinions. That's fine, just stop claiming you're arguing with facts versus your opinion.  I'm neither happy or unhappy. I recognize EVGA is a business with costs. Nor am I accusing EVGA of being unethical and telling others who disagree with me to go away and shut up.
But, that's just me.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

kram36
The Destroyer
Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/25 12:54:09 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
kram36
HeavyHemi
kram36
AHowes
kram36
AHowes

HeavyHemi

I didn't bring up Gigabyte, you did. You're literally blaming me for YOUR strawman.  Then you make a bunch of claims regarding prices which you cannot know (a mistake you made before that I clearly pointed out) and you've turned this thread into your personal vendetta over EVGA's pricing and accuse them alone of scalping based on your opinions. That's fine, just stop claiming you're arguing with facts versus your opinion.  I'm neither happy or unhappy. I recognize EVGA is a business with costs. Nor am I accusing EVGA of being unethical and telling others who disagree with me to go away and shut up.
But, that's just me.

Oh Lord. My bringing up Gigabyte is a point of reference, you're saying EVGA cards always had a premium price over Gigabyte is a straw man argument. I never said that EVGA's pricing is unethical, don't put words in my mouth. I can actually make a good argument for EVGA raising the prices.
thunder-93
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 342
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/25 14:04:07 (permalink)
Let's pleaes everyone pause and breath through our noses for a moment.  

How about we get back to some questions that we can all offer our thoughts on:

Q1:  Should EVGA have made the decision to 1) raise their MSRP on GPUs on EVGA's direct sales web site or 2) keep them the same?
My Answer:  I think yes (choice #1), because the decision aligns to market forces (supply & demand) and competitive pricing for EVGA GPUs in high demand.  The alternative (choice #2) would be a nice gesture on the part of EVGA to keep their prices but would do nothing to either help or hurt the supply problem ... but it would hurt EVGA's bottom line.  Again, I'm a bit partial, but I want EVGA to be competive against it's main competitors (ASUS and Gigabyte in particular) so that I can continue to buy EVGA GPUs for decades to come.

Q2:  Was the amount/price that EVGA raised their GPUs 1) "fair" to consumers/customers or 2) "unfair"?
My Answer:  I think yes (the amount raised was "fair"), especially when compared to competitor pricing for comparable level GPUs.  I also think "yes" because it sends a signal to the broader market acknowledging higher prices for GPUs but at the same time signals that those prices are still to high (as compared to the revised MSRP).

Q3:  Could EVGA do anything else to help EVGA customers/consumers to be able to buy EVGA GPUs at closer to MSRP?  If so, what's your idea?
My Answer:  I think yes.  Offering direct sales pricing is nice, but as we've all seen, those products "fly off the shelves" pretty quickly.  I'm wondering if EVGA would be amenable to a bulk purchase deal/pricing through something like MassDrop ... to help lock in a slightly lower than MSRP price but at the same time reach more EVGA gamers.  I have seen MSI and Gigabyte and ASUS 10-series GPUs offered and talked about far more on MassDrop than EVGA, so I've started a MassDrop poll to see if there is bulk interest in purchasing EVGA GPUs (my gut tells me the answer is "yes").  It would have to be the right series (select 1060, 1070, or 1080 models), but I can imagine a deal with competitive pricing that could make a lot of EVGA Gamers happy.  Just a thought/idea.  (plus it bothers me that I've seen MSI & Asus & Gigabyte offers on MassDrop and zero from EVGA ... and I think/believe EVGA has better GPUs).

So how would you answer these questions:
- Q1:  Should EVGA have made the decision to 1) raise their MSRP on GPUs on EVGA's direct sales web site or 2) keep them the same?
- Q2:  Was the amount/price that EVGA raised their GPUs 1) "fair" to consumers/customers or 2) "unfair"?
- Q3:  Could EVGA do anything else to help EVGA customers/consumers to be able to buy EVGA GPUs at closer to MSRP?  If so, what's your idea?

v/r Thunder-93 (Affiliate Code: F8CE835X1W)
i7-8700K / Asus ROG Strix Z370-E / EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid / EVGA G3 750W / Thermaltake RGB 360 / TridentZ RGB 32GB DDR4-3200CL14 / 960 Evo / 970 Evo / 860 Evo / Firecuda SSHD / InWin 303C RGB 

levifig
  • Total Posts : 82
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/25 14:23:52 (permalink)
Moving my discussion here from the "stock" thread:

evga_kwr
It looks like the prices on the cards are slowly going down. Not sure if this is a lull before prices pick up, or a continuing trend.

No way to know this. My personal take on it is:
1. New generation of Nvidia cards will probably be released late this year (Q3, maybe Q4).
2. AIB boards (like EVGA) will probably take a few months before release.
3. Ti cards will probably be released 6-12 months after that
4. Performance increase will probably be comparable to 9xx to 10xx (i.e. 1080 Ti will be comparable to xx70)
5. Efficiency may be increased by I don't expect reduction in wattage for most enthusiasts/overclockers
6. Pricing will probably sit slightly above current *Nvidia* MSRP for Nvidia FE cards (unless DDR prices drop, which I don't expect to happen in time for this next generation)

Everything above is pure speculation based on knowledge of the industry and research.. Obviously no actual facts are known about the next generation yet. Because I don't expect much of a drop in energy consumption (no die shrink AFAIK), miners won't be really looking at the new cards to replace their current ones. If crypto surges again, availability will likely shrink, but I don't expect that to happen for at least a few months. Having said all of that, I think the new MSRPs are here to stay. Availability will likely increase a bit in the coming weeks/months, but that should only affect third-party vendor pricing. I really expect this new pricing to stay for at least this next generation of cards. There will likely be sales, coupons, etc... That seems to be the way the industry is headed now that it has largely consolidated at the retail level. Big retail like coupons/discounts, so they have been looking to increase their (horrendous) margins for years now. These last few months were the perfect storm for that.

Again, these are opinions and hunches. Don't make money decisions because I said anything, but, the bottom line, is 1) I don't expect MSRPs to drop that much and 2) new cards to offer any ridiculous increase in performance that would ruin the current generation of cards.

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts on this. :)

WHEATLEY => Lian-Li V3000 Modded :: Asus ROG Rampage VI Apex :: Intel i9-7900X @ 4.8GHz 1.26V All Cores w/ EKWB Monoblock :: XFX Vega 56 w/ Heatkiller VI :: Zotac GT1030 :: 64GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3200MHz CL14 @ 3600CL16 :: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVMe :: WD Black 1TB NVMe :: 2x Corsair MP510 480GB NVMe :: HardwareLabs GTX 480 & SR2 480 :: 12x Corsair ML120 PRO RGB :: Corsair AX1200i

kram36
The Destroyer
Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/25 14:33:17 (permalink)
The biggest issue for the consumer is that EVGA only allows 1 per household, so it's not like the same people are getting these cards before other people can get them.

My one defense of EVGA charging a higher price is if EVGA is only getting a limited amount before the next gen cards come out. EVGA still has bills to pay, plus they need R&D money and if they only have a limited supply of cards to offer, they need to raise the prices.
thunder-93
iCX Member
Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/25 14:50:19 (permalink)
I agree, I would not expect prices to drop much this year ... at least not until closer to Nov/Dec for holiday pricing.  Prices may settle just a little bit more, but not a lot.

i7-8700K / Asus ROG Strix Z370-E / EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Hybrid / EVGA G3 750W / Thermaltake RGB 360 / TridentZ RGB 32GB DDR4-3200CL14 / 960 Evo / 970 Evo / 860 Evo / Firecuda SSHD / InWin 303C RGB 

a11out
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 128
Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/25 15:30:58 (permalink)
- Q1:  Should EVGA have made the decision to 1) raise their MSRP on GPUs on EVGA's direct sales website or 2) keep them the same?
They should have kept prices for general consumers on the old level. The old prices would make them profit, what they charge now just makes them ultra profit. It is not like if they start charging MSRP again - they'll go broke. 

- Q2:  Was the amount/price that EVGA raised their GPUs 1) "fair" to consumers/customers or 2) "unfair"?
Unfair. I understand it from the standpoint "grab as much as you can while you can" but it does not make it right.

Profit does not justify everything, in my opinion. More extreme example - jacking up prices for life-saving drugs. Is it ok to let people die while you make money? Just because you can, does not mean you should.

Yes, EVGA will make some extra buck on the hipe, but they will undermine the trust of their base, which will hurt them in a long run.  

- Q3:  Could EVGA do anything else to help EVGA customers/consumers to be able to buy EVGA GPUs at closer to MSRP?  If so, what's your idea?
  • Connect with miners, ask them what they care about (Memory? Bandwidth?), and manufacture card specifically for them. Charge $100,000 for all I care. Just like Nvidia makes Quadro for people who are pros, charging them x10 for the same hardware and GForce for everybody else. 
  • Make specific cards for bulk order, and the rest make one per household. Miners will go for bulk models (charge them what you want), the rest will have their one per household, because that is all they need really. 
dugoth
  • Total Posts : 60
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/25 17:22:34 (permalink)
There are a whole lot of assumptions being made by folks without really sufficient information I think. To make a graphics card, other than basic raw metal materials, each AIB is also going to need to provision the GPU from Nvidia, GDDR, various onboard chips, capacitors, etc. Each AIB is going to have their own independent contract with the sources for these materials which may or may not include better prices, adjustments for variations, or guarantees of certain volumes at certain prices. Assuming all AIB's generally have the same agreement with Nvidia for the actual GPU and licensing there are still too many variables between AIB agreements to be able to say, for example, EVGA should be cheaper than Gigabyte at all times, and Gigabyte totally couldn't have gotten extra stock or supply, or have banked some extra supply for shortages at lower prices, etcetcetc.

Basically we'll never know what agreement each of these AIBs have with their suppliers or any real sense of their given profit margins at any given point to be able to compare them directly or say one is more unfair than the other. I don't think it will help anything to try comparing AIB A to AIB B because there just isn't enough information. I'd be more curious to look at the public 10-K reports from the companies posted to the SEC to see how their profits quarter to quarter have compared over the last couple years. That may be a better indicator of how "fair" they're being to consumers during these interesting times.
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/25 17:58:53 (permalink)
kram36
HeavyHemi
kram36
HeavyHemi
kram36
AHowes
kram36
AHowes

HeavyHemi

But, that's just me.

Oh Lord. My bringing up Gigabyte is a point of reference, you're saying EVGA cards always had a premium price over Gigabyte is a straw man argument. I never said that EVGA's pricing is unethical, don't put words in my mouth. I can actually make a good argument for EVGA raising the prices.

Yes, as I said you brought up Gigabyte as a point of reference as I said. (Which I'm repeating again) Pointing out Gigabyte has historically been at a lower price point as a data point, isn't a strawman. It is a direct response to your pricing claim and complaints. (Another repeat) I don't think you know what the term means. If you can make a 'good argument' for EVGA raising prices (which I'm sure is very similar to everyone else's) why are you complaining?  When you said EVGA is SCALPING that is the same thing as claiming they are UNETHICAL. If you had not made that argument, I would not be calling you out for it. You have an odd habit of denying your own arguments then accusing others of arguments they are NOT making.   But any way, as you said there are good arguments for them raising prices, you've stated your opinion and can just...you know...move on.

a11out
Superclocked Member
Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/25 17:59:36 (permalink)
dugoth
There are a whole lot of assumptions being made by folks without really sufficient information I think. To make a graphics card, other than basic raw metal materials, each AIB is also going to need to provision the GPU from Nvidia, GDDR, various onboard chips, capacitors, etc. Each AIB is going to have their own independent contract with the sources for these materials which may or may not include better prices, adjustments for variations, or guarantees of certain volumes at certain prices. Assuming all AIB's generally have the same agreement with Nvidia for the actual GPU and licensing there are still too many variables between AIB agreements to be able to say, for example, EVGA should be cheaper than Gigabyte at all times, and Gigabyte totally couldn't have gotten extra stock or supply, or have banked some extra supply for shortages at lower prices, etcetcetc.

Basically we'll never know what agreement each of these AIBs have with their suppliers or any real sense of their given profit margins at any given point to be able to compare them directly or say one is more unfair than the other. I don't think it will help anything to try comparing AIB A to AIB B because there just isn't enough information. I'd be more curious to look at the public 10-K reports from the companies posted to the SEC to see how their profits quarter to quarter have compared over the last couple years. That may be a better indicator of how "fair" they're being to consumers during these interesting times.

I hear what you are saying, but the current shinanigan with GPU looks to me like a classic price gauging in response to extremely high demand. Also, it looks like it is happening on the distribution end. For example, Amazon and Newegg sell EVGA cards for 100-200 dollars more than EVGN itself. Clearly, sellers are just trying to screw the customers over, using the market conditions. The main proof I have to support my point is that Nvidia STILL sells small bunches of 1080ti for nominal $699. Those bunches are gone instantly though.
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/25 18:10:03 (permalink)
a11out
dugoth

I hear what you are saying, but the current shinanigan with GPU looks to me like a classic price gauging in response to extremely high demand. Also, it looks like it is happening on the distribution end. For example, Amazon and Newegg sell EVGA cards for 100-200 dollars more than EVGN itself. Clearly, sellers are just trying to screw the customers over, using the market conditions. The main proof I have to support my point is that Nvidia STILL sells small bunches of 1080ti for nominal $699. Those bunches are gone instantly though.

Nvidia can sell on their site for MSRP because, they are the MSRP... The tiny amount they sell on their webstore is worth the miniscule loss in revenue that increasing the price would lose them negative publicity. As long as they dribble out a few every now and then, they can plead innocence.

a11out
Superclocked Member
Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/25 18:20:56 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
a11out
dugoth

Nvidia can sell on their site for MSRP because, they are the MSRP... The tiny amount they sell on their webstore is worth the miniscule loss in revenue that increasing the price would lose them negative publicity. As long as they dribble out a few every now and then, they can plead innocence.

Loss in revenue and just loss are different though. They can still sell cards at MSRP and turn profit. The thing is - they do not lose money at $699, they just do not make as much as they could have in these market conditions. The price is made of labor+overhead+profit. I believe, labor+overhead are about $500 for 1080ti. The rest is profit that depends only on the greediness of the seller. 

Another model is to sell hardware at a loss to later compensate it with something else. Like printers and ink, or video game systems and games. But it works only if you have a monopoly over the second market (PS4 games only work on PS4, for instance), which Nvidia does not.  
kram36
The Destroyer
Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/25 19:13:42 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
kram36
HeavyHemi
kram36
HeavyHemi
kram36
AHowes
kram36
AHowes

HeavyHemi

But, that's just me.

Yes, as I said you brought up Gigabyte as a point of reference as I said. (Which I'm repeating again) Pointing out Gigabyte has historically been at a lower price point as a data point, isn't a strawman. It is a direct response to your pricing claim and complaints. (Another repeat) I don't think you know what the term means. If you can make a 'good argument' for EVGA raising prices (which I'm sure is very similar to everyone else's) why are you complaining?  When you said EVGA is SCALPING that is the same thing as claiming they are UNETHICAL. If you had not made that argument, I would not be calling you out for it. You have an odd habit of denying your own arguments then accusing others of arguments they are NOT making.   But any way, as you said there are good arguments for them raising prices, you've stated your opinion and can just...you know...move on.

All you have is straw man arguments. Just because you believe Gigabyte to be a lower tier company, it justifies EVGA prices. EVGA has raised prices from $200 to $300 depending on the model. You're the one who thinks scalping videos cards is unethical, I see it as taking an opportunity to increase your profit. It's only unethical for items people are in need to live. I've scalped rock concert ticket, nothing unethical about that. The people wanted what I had and were willing to pay the price and their life did not depend on them getting the tickets. But any way, as you said you are "neither happy or unhappy" with EVGA's prices, you've stated your opinion and can just...you know...move on.
kram36
The Destroyer
Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/25 19:32:23 (permalink)
dugoth

I'll tell you this, no AIB gets gpu's from nVida cheaper then EVGA does nor get gpu allocations ahead of EVGA. EVGA is nVidia's #1 channel supplier for the US and UK. So these price hikes will have to be attributed to something else. Memory cost, doubt it, board manufacturing cost, doubt it. EVGA having only a limited amount of cards to sell and hikes the price up to keep paying the bills and have R&D money before the next gen of cards hit, more then likely.
thunder-93
iCX Member
Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/25 19:44:39 (permalink)
a11out
  • Connect with miners, ask them what they care about (Memory? Bandwidth?), and manufacture card specifically for them. Charge $100,000 for all I care. Just like Nvidia makes Quadro for people who are pros, charging them x10 for the same hardware and GForce for everybody else. 
  • Make specific cards for bulk order, and the rest make one per household. Miners will go for bulk models (charge them what you want), the rest will have their one per household, because that is all they need really. 

I think this is already in the works ... both by Nvidia and by some AIB makers (that is making separate/distinct GPU boards tailored for 1) gamers and 2) miners)  ... will depend if the altcoin industry remains viable--who knows.

sleevo
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 125
Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/25 19:54:40 (permalink)

CASE - Corsair Graphite Series 760T White
CPU - Intel
Devil's Canyon Core i7-4790K @ 4.7GHz 1.265v
CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S push & pull
MB - Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H- Black Edition
MEMORY - Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400 16GB
GRAPHICS - EVGA GTX 1080Ti FE
SSD - Samsung 850 Pro Series 512GB SSD
HD - WD Black Series 2TB
SOUND -Sound Blaster Z
PSU - EVGA SuperNova 1000 G2 PSU
MONITOR - Dell S2716DG 2560x1440 @144Hz G-Sync
Windows 10 
kram36
The Destroyer
Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/25 19:57:47 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/25 20:05:35 (permalink)
a11out
HeavyHemi
a11out
dugoth

Loss in revenue and just loss are different though. They can still sell cards at MSRP and turn profit. The thing is - they do not lose money at $699, they just do not make as much as they could have in these market conditions. The price is made of labor+overhead+profit. I believe, labor+overhead are about $500 for 1080ti. The rest is profit that depends only on the greediness of the seller. 

Another model is to sell hardware at a loss to later compensate it with something else. Like printers and ink, or video game systems and games. But it works only if you have a monopoly over the second market (PS4 games only work on PS4, for instance), which Nvidia does not.  

I know this. That is why I said the Nvidia IS the MSRP. As long as they are selling over the BOM and other costs of course they don't 'lose' money. However that wasn't my argument,  I didn't say they'd lose money. I said any loss in revenue they might have gained  by in increasing THEIR MSRP, would be offset by the negative publicity, in my opinion. Which you basically repeated.  I am of aware of loss leaders, impulse buy kiosks etc etc kinda off topic.  A corporations fiduciary responsibility is to their stakeholders to maximize returns. Folks do not like this when it is applied to companies that they purchase products from...but they sure do like it from the  companies they are invested in. Food for thought.

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/25 20:13:20 (permalink)
kram36
HeavyHemi
kram36
HeavyHemi
kram36
HeavyHemi
kram36
AHowes
kram36
AHowes

HeavyHemi

But, that's just me.

All you have is straw man arguments. Just because you believe Gigabyte to be a lower tier company, it justifies EVGA prices. EVGA has raised prices from $200 to $300 depending on the model. You're the one who thinks scalping videos cards is unethical, I see it as taking an opportunity to increase your profit. It's only unethical for items people are in need to live. I've scalped rock concert ticket, nothing unethical about that. The people wanted what I had and were willing to pay the price and their life did not depend on them getting the tickets. But any way, as you said you are "neither happy or unhappy" with EVGA's prices, you've stated your opinion and can just...you know...move on.

By using that term again, 'straw man', you're clearly just trying to troll for a reaction. Grow up.

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/25 20:31:09 (permalink)

kram36
The Destroyer
Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/25 20:45:44 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
Still available kids!

https://www.evga.com/prod...aspx?pn=11G-P4-6796-K2

Either EVGA has a large stock of these cards or people are not buying as they have been in stock for several days now.
a11out
Superclocked Member
Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/26 05:25:58 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
Still available kids!

Wasn't this one $850 or so at some point? I was building a VR machine for my office about 7 months back, and I put FTW3 in it too. I'd swear I reported less than $900 for it.
post edited by a11out - 2018/03/26 05:31:32
dlbsyst
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 311
Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/26 07:01:34 (permalink)
a11out
HeavyHemi
Still available kids!

Wasn't this one $850 or so at some point? I was building a VR machine for my office about 7 months back, and I put FTW3 in it too. I'd swear I reported less than $900 for it.

Yup, Amazon was selling the FTW3 for $749.99 April 24, 2017. EVGA's current pricing is absurd.
post edited by dlbsyst - 2018/03/26 07:32:15
a11out
Superclocked Member
Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/26 07:29:45 (permalink)
dlbsyst
a11out
HeavyHemi
Still available kids!

Yup, Amazon was selling the FTW3 for $749.99 April 24, 2017. EVGA's current pricing is absurd.

Sounds like my EVGA GTX 680 4gb is not going to retire this year. To buy GPU now you have to be either desperate, or rich, or firmly believe that businesses have a right to rip you off and you should just bow your head because "what you gonna do, right?". Well, I'm not desperate, I totally can afford it, and I'm not bowing my head. I really wanted to play some cool game, but, I guess, I'll stick to writing stories for now and being all productive and boring.  
post edited by a11out - 2018/03/26 07:32:30
mugendc4
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 123
Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/26 09:05:12 (permalink)
kram36

Either EVGA has a large stock of these cards or people are not buying as they have been in stock for several days now.

As I mention before, EVGA finally hit the point where most are hesitant to buy and only the few willing to spend the absurd price.  It takes a few hours to days to sell out their card that used to last a few minutes and most a few hours.  Bottom line, if people are still willing to pay the absurd prices, EVGA won't lower it.  Most companies will take advantage of the demand right now to maximize profits and all it just leaves are bad taste to the consumer's mouth.
AHowes
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6681
  • Ribbons : 27
Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/26 09:09:48 (permalink)
Yeah still 5 ftw3's I. Stock locally at microcenter for $1079.99. Had 10 at start of last week. Usually they would sell out the same day they hit.

People are priv waiting to see if new cards are announced soon. I doubt they will like to hear when.

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.2Ghz Single HUGE Custom Water Loop.
Asus Z390 ROG Extreme XI MB
G.Skill Trident Z 32GB (4x8GB) 4266MHz DDR4 
EVGA 2080ti K|NGP|N w/ Hydro Copper block.  
34" Dell Alienware AW3418DW 1440 Ultra Wide GSync Monitor
Thermaltake Core P7 Modded w/ 2x EK Dual D5 pump top,2 x EK XE 480 2X 360 rads.1 Corsair 520 Rad.
dlbsyst
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 311
Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/26 09:19:45 (permalink)
I think the super high prices we are seeing is going to create a boon to the used GPU market. I'm seeing a lot of used 1080ti's starting to show up on my local Craigslist in the $800 range. There are even new cards available for that price. Also it seems like a lot of guys were dabling in the Crypto currency thing and decided it wasn't worth the effort or time for the profit margins. A lot of the used cards are saying "only 2 months old".:)
post edited by dlbsyst - 2018/03/26 09:22:33
a11out
Superclocked Member
Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/26 09:29:09 (permalink)
dlbsyst
I think the super high prices we are seeing is going to create a boon to the used GPU market. I'm seeing a lot of used 1080ti's starting to show up on my local Craigslist in the $800 range. There are even new cards available for that price. Also it seems like a lot of guys were dabling in the Crypto currency thing and decided it wasn't worth the effort or time for the profit margins. A lot of the used cards are saying "only 2 months old".:)

Or they are speculators who try to raise easy money. I saw somebody on Amazon trying to sell 1080ti FTW3 Elite 12ghz, edition for the EVGA elite club only, for $2,000. The original price was $850. He is definitely not familiar with the word "shame".
post edited by a11out - 2018/03/26 09:31:26
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 8
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile