Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 8
Author
kram36
The Destroyer
  • Total Posts : 21477
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 72
2018/03/21 15:06:10 (permalink)
Per moderator's post here https://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2806229 to keep the comments in that thread on topic.

Cool GTX
Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers --> Would make an interesting debate in it Own thread (hint, hint)

The topic of this thread is Only about Inventory that is in Stock, ready to be purchased

Stay On Topic, or your post can / will be removed !

Here is the thread requested by moderator Cool GTX for discussion.

210 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/21 16:11:11 (permalink)
    Everyone please stay on topic. Thank You.
    joeymir
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 732
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/21 16:29:59 (permalink)
    OMG lol! come on guys. I muffin love u guys hahahaha. On topic; over pricing of GPU's has gotten me fed up with the industry to be honest. When a base model GTX 1060(entry level gaming card) costs as much as what a 2nd tier card(6800 GT, 7800 GT, 8800 GTS, GTX 260, GTX 470, GTX 570, GTX 670, GTX 770, GTX 970, GTX 107.........oh wait you get the point lol) I myself can't help but really be annoyed. On a personal level, I am always the guy who tries to get people into the PC gaming community. I recently built a friend a computer with some excess parts, and gifted it to him, and told him all he needs is to buy a video card. Right now he has my loaner GTX 670 which has really started showing its age.  With his excitement of Far Cry 5 coming out, he had planned to buy for his PC, however I assume things might change, as prices on everything are stupid high, if you can even find something. I have several other friends who have been wanting/needing to upgrade for sometime, BUT they simply can't justify spending so much extra money, when they know what a cards real value is.

I started getting into PC gaming early on, but didn't build my first machine until I was 14(14 years ago.....wow I feel old). I know times change, but it's not been until recently I've had a really sour taste for PC gaming. The other day I wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy, so I started looking back at all my GPU purchase invoices, and my findings were what I thought. I've always been someone who buy's the "second best" GPU when a new series is launched, or every other depending. The most I had ever paid for a 2nd teir GPU was $379.99, and that was a Nvidia branded GTX 970 from bestBuy(because the Titan cooler is far better quality then the ugly plastic crap coolers they deem so amazing from eVGA). Now days between overpricing of graphics cards, and every game coming out being early access (and buggy as hell), how is this good for the PC gaming community? So how is it affecting customers?

Well people like me highly suggest to refrain from buying GPU's and any game that says early access, as doing so simply tells these corporations "here take my money, overcharge me and under deliver, I don't care". Yes a lot of the overpricing is caused by shortages due to the cryptocraze, but regardless, for those of us who have been around for some time, it's a major insult. And to the new comers to PC Gaming? Well who knows as they likely won't find a GPU, and if they do, they likely can't/won't justify spending $600 on what should be a $350 dollar card.
    post edited by joeymir - 2018/03/21 17:10:41

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | Ryzen 9 5900X | 32GB Crucial Ballisitx DDR4 3600MHz | MSI Radeon 6900 XT | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | 2x Crucial MX500 1TB Raid-0 | 2x WD Velociraptors 500GB Raid-0 | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850W | Lian-Li PC-O11

jh4db536
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 122
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/21 17:57:15 (permalink)
    The future is that nvidia owns all the cards and customers don't own physical cards. After nvidia is found guilty for their wrongdoings with the geforce partner program, they will then move to disrupt the competition with their new business model because the market has been conveniently conditioned for it.

Customers will pay a monthly/subscription fee to rent centralized GPU power much like miners already do with mining contracts (centralized asic/decentralized pooled gpu power**). Gamers will be able to play the hottest most demanding titles on laptops and old computers and forget about hardware altogether. Customers will reminiscence about how silly it was to pay $1000 each year to upgrade their computers so they could social media their FPS and benchmark ratings.

Amd? i dunno they better get with the times or they're gonna be the only ones selling physical cards for workstation/scientific/mining use. If not fully absorbed/integrated into their CPU dies/or intels.

discrete cards will be a nostalgic memory like voodoo 3dfx.

the end

**i'll digress about the state of mining. 99.9% of miners cannot get rich off mining mature coins...it's too difficult and no longer profitable. In order to get rich from mining, you need a lot of hashpower when the mining difficulty is low on a speculative coin. Mining contracts (renting tera/penta hashes for a period aimed at your wallet) fulfill this purpose and you dont even need to own a gpu anymore. most homebrews are actually gamers who are trying to mine enough to get their hardware cost back to MSRP.

post edited by jh4db536 - 2018/03/21 18:18:27

Ryzen 1800, 2600
    EVGA 10 Series, Vega Series
    joeymir
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 732
    Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/21 19:00:11 (permalink)
    jh4db536
    The future is that nvidia owns all the cards and customers don't own physical cards. After nvidia is found guilty for their wrongdoings with the geforce partner program, they will then move to disrupt the competition with their new business model because the market has been conveniently conditioned for it.

Customers will pay a monthly/subscription fee to rent centralized GPU power much like miners already do with mining contracts (centralized asic/decentralized pooled gpu power**). Gamers will be able to play the hottest most demanding titles on laptops and old computers and forget about hardware altogether. Customers will reminiscence about how silly it was to pay $1000 each year to upgrade their computers so they could social media their FPS and benchmark ratings.

Amd? i dunno they better get with the times or they're gonna be the only ones selling physical cards for workstation/scientific/mining use. If not fully absorbed/integrated into their CPU dies/or intels.

discrete cards will be a nostalgic memory like voodoo 3dfx.

the end

**i'll digress about the state of mining. 99.9% of miners cannot get rich off mining mature coins...it's too difficult and no longer profitable. In order to get rich from mining, you need a lot of hashpower when the mining difficulty is low on a speculative coin. Mining contracts (renting tera/penta hashes for a period aimed at your wallet) fulfill this purpose and you dont even need to own a gpu anymore. most homebrews are actually gamers who are trying to mine enough to get their hardware cost back to MSRP.

I simply cannot see this happening. Very unrealistic outlook. It would be the ABSOLUTE death of PC gaming as we know it. What about consoles? I assume Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo will start to develop their own gpu's instaid of going to Nvidia or AMD? I'd hope you're wrong on this one, and I'll gladly eat my own words if it does happen lol. If Nvidia even remotely tried a stunt like that, their stocks would plummet, and AMD would dominate the market.

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | Ryzen 9 5900X | 32GB Crucial Ballisitx DDR4 3600MHz | MSI Radeon 6900 XT | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | 2x Crucial MX500 1TB Raid-0 | 2x WD Velociraptors 500GB Raid-0 | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850W | Lian-Li PC-O11

MasterMiner
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 713
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/21 19:38:45 (permalink)
    I’ve got bad news. Pricing is only going to continue to go up. So much so even small time miners like myself gave up months ago. These chips (high end 14nm gpu) are being bought at the wholesale level by the thousands by governments and very large dark miners to power a wholesale restructuring of the world’s financial system. No conspiracy just fact.

Add to that huge and growing demand for AI for every industry and military application imaginable and you’ve got a serious crunch for years to come.

$3000 Volta will be the entry point for non-ECC compute cards. Multiply that x4 to get the ECC / Tesla version.

$1500 for the top of the line gamer / graphics variety (ie: 2080)

The situation is ugly

ps: I don’t see Nvidia renting cards or everyone turning to aws or cloud. But pc gaming will be a very, very expensive luxury.
    post edited by MasterMiner - 2018/03/21 19:44:18

I used to mine. Now I compute.
    dlbsyst
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 311
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/21 19:50:57 (permalink)
    MasterMiner
    I’ve got bad news. Pricing is only going to continue to go up. So much so even small time miners like myself gave up months ago. These chips (high end 14nm gpu) are being bought at the wholesale level by the thousands by governments and very large dark miners to power a wholesale restructuring of the world’s financial system. No conspiracy just fact.

Add to that huge and growing demand for AI for every industry and military application imaginable and you’ve got a serious crunch for years to come.

$3000 Volta will be the entry point for non-ECC compute cards. Multiply that x4 to get the ECC / Tesla version.

The situation is ugly

ps: I don’t see Nvidia renting cards or everyone turning to aws or cloud. But pc gaming will be a very, very expensive luxury.

Not a chance. I do not think Nvidia and AMD would be foolish enough to price their cards like that. Like I said in another post, gamers will not pay these kind of prices for cards. PC gaming has to be affordable or will die. Gamers will move on and get a console. Oh, have you guys been looking around the net at current stock and prices. GPU's are starting to be more available and prices are starting to fall. Give it a month and you will  have no problem getting the card you want at a much more affordable price. 
    bryanwilson437
    • Total Posts : 50
    Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/21 20:13:47 (permalink)
    Prices are definitely not falling, but yeah today is the first day in a while that I’ve seen 1080 tis available for several hours. Kingpin earlier and sc2 right now. I did a step up for an sc black less than a month ago for $839 minus the cost of my $600 1080 and bought an ftw3 hybrid for I think $879, both of which were already hiked up to hell compared to their original pricing. Those cards today are now $919 and and $1099 respectively. Secondary pricing might be coming down a little, but msrp seems to be creeping up to the same level.
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/21 20:24:15 (permalink)
    MasterMiner

The situation is ugly

Not a chance in the world. You cannot hide the production. It would make zero sense to use complicated GPU's for this purpose. Production is planned out quarters in advanced. You cannot just invent capacity out of thin air. Conspiracy debunked by simple logic.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

MasterMiner
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 713
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/21 21:13:34 (permalink)
    I hope I’m wrong, but prices are set by market forces. I don’t see supply catching up with demand from all sources anytime soon.

As you said, production cannot be turned around on a dime.

I used to mine. Now I compute.
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/21 21:21:29 (permalink)
    MasterMiner
    I hope I’m wrong, but prices are set by market forces. I don’t see supply catching up with demand from all sources anytime soon.

As you said, production cannot be turned around on a dime.

For the most part that's exactly right, plus the usual scalpers on steroids.  Better economy, unexpected demand by miners, memory shortages because every device now is garbage unless it's loaded with 64GB...millions upon millions of these devices.   And....
    A half-hour power outage at Samsung’s fab near Pyeongtaek, South Korea, disrupted production and damaged tens of thousands of processed wafers. Media reports claim that the outage destroyed as much as 3.5% of the global NAND supply for March, which may have an effect on flash memory pricing in the coming weeks.

https://www.anandtech.com...obal-nand-flash-output
    post edited by HeavyHemi - 2018/03/21 21:23:59

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

Ranmacanada
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 992
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/21 21:49:47 (permalink)
    In the end it's going to be greed that has caused these prices to rise.  LCD price fixing, memory price fixing, CD price fixing, E-book price fixing, bread price fixing here in Canada! etc.  Every time the companies have a chance to price fix, they do, and every single time, they get caught.  So why do they do it?  Because every single time they have been caught all they got was a slap on the wrist from the authorities.  No one went to jail, no one lost their jobs, it was just par for the course.  In the end, they made billions in profits, while paying out mere millions in fines.  I got a $20 cheque for the LCD price fixing from the 2000's.  WHOOOOO.  

Think what you want, but in the end, that's what it's going to be.  If Inel can get away with not paying the $1.2 Billion they owe the EU in fines (constantly appealing), well what's to stop Nvidia from pulling the same with consumers?  Corporations are out to make money, by hook or by crook.  Getting caught, is just doing business, and fines are just the cost of doing business.  It's time the fines were no longer small, and that appeals are denied, and if payment isn't made, forfeiture is done.  If corporations are people, it's time to start treating them like people and put them in jail with no leniency.  

ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI)
    AMD Ryzen 2700
    Fold for the CURE!
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    EVGA 1080Ti Hybrid

kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/21 22:27:21 (permalink)
    Maybe I should have pointed out this thread was intended for the current prices EVGA is charging for the 10 series cards. People seem to be not too pleased with these MSRP price hikes in the 10 series from the EVGA store. People were coming here to avoid the high prices at places like Newegg and get close to the actual MSRP and have seen a steady rise in the MSRP price.
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/21 22:40:34 (permalink)
    kram36
    Maybe I should have pointed out this thread was intended for the current prices EVGA is charging for the 10 series cards. People seem to be not too pleased with these MSRP price hikes in the 10 series from the EVGA store. People were coming here to avoid the high prices at places like Newegg and get close to the actual MSRP and have seen a steady rise in the MSRP price.

How do you discuss the current prices if you do not discuss what may be causing them?

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/21 23:04:56 (permalink)
    Only place to get msrp price is from the nvidia store. If you're buying a custom card from evga, asus, msi, gigabyte, etc. they can set the prices to whatever they wish.
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/21 23:13:47 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Only place to get msrp price is from the nvidia store. If you're buying a custom card from evga, asus, msi, gigabyte, etc. they can set the prices to whatever they wish.

Apparently not anymore (for the 1080 Ti). There's no link to purchase from the Nvidia store. There now links to resellers like NewEgg. I don't know when that happened. I just looked cause you posted.. 

https://www.nvidia.com/en...s/geforce-gtx-1080-ti/

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/21 23:19:51 (permalink)
    All of them say notify me because they're out of stock. There are no founder edition cards listed on newegg. 
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/21 23:30:25 (permalink)
    Sajin
    All of them say notify me because they're out of stock. There are no founder edition cards listed on newegg. 

The 1080 Ti doesn't even have a notify button. I didn't say they were listed I said, Nvidia's Website has a link to Newegg as  the purchase option. The B&H link goes to 'generic Nvidia 1080 Ti' which includes EVGA modes listed.  So, my point was you cannot get a 1080 Ti from Nvidia and there is no notify button at this time.

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/21 23:35:49 (permalink)
    I see plenty of notify me buttons...

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/21 23:51:12 (permalink)
    Well holy cow...trolled by Fire Fox again. They show up fine in IE and  Edge.

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/21 23:53:12 (permalink)

Y3didya
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 219
    Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/22 00:20:12 (permalink)
    I am seeing the gradually increasing price with a skeptical eye. I remember that I paid around 400€ for a Gigabyte HD 7970 GHz Windforce back then and that was already a lot of money for me. Then I paid about 650€ for a Palit GTX 980 and thought I must be crazy and this year I bought the KPE 1080 Ti Hydro Copper for a whopping 1350€... The price increase over the past 6 years I believe for the top end graphics card is insane. Of course performance is also crazy, but still.

Had a talk with my dad, who happens to work for an electronic distributor and works together with Samsung, Micron, Hynix and co, and he told me that not just the mobile devices are a reason for the insane increase of prices for memory and with that for all devices which require memory, but also servers. The mining craze is just the tip of the iceberg. And sadly he also said, prices will continue to rise and there is no sign of them going down. So I am glad I bought my card two months ago, because shortly after they got even more expensive :/

I am a PC gamer through and through, but when I buy a PC now, I try to make it last for the next 3-5 years when it comes to GPU and CPU for about 5-7 years. So I will have to spend more money initially, but then I am set for some time.

• EVGA X299 Dark • Intel Core i9 7920X • 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3200 CL14 • Seasonic PRIME 80+ Platinum 850W • EVGA GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N Hydro Copper

Click here to save 3%-10% on your next EVGA purchase - My associates code is ZQ9K3H42VHCXOEM

|| Thank you justin_43, liked your Signature format so had to adapt it :)

Molli
    • Total Posts : 28
    Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/22 00:30:12 (permalink)
    Will the release of Nvidia's next generation of graphics cards in Q3 change anything?
    Hoggle
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 10101
    Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/22 00:50:59 (permalink)
    I think what we might see is the low supply and high price might result in people losing interest in mining. I really can't see the price increasing at the rate it has been without miners giving up before they start.

Use an Associates Code & SAVE 5% - 10% on your purchase. Just click on the associates banner to save, or enter the associates code at checkout on your next purchase. If you choose to use my code I want to personally say "Thank You" for using it. 

dugoth
    • Total Posts : 60
    Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/22 03:12:45 (permalink)
    Sajin

Not seeing notify here anymore myself, just straight up "Out of stock" with no button, though I was before. Maybe need to refresh your cache if you're seeing different
    dlbsyst
    iCX Member
    Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/22 06:14:12 (permalink)
    dugoth
    Sajin

Not seeing notify here anymore myself, just straight up "Out of stock" with no button, though I was before. Maybe need to refresh your cache if you're seeing different

Yea, I'm only seeing out of stock myself. I tried all of the browsers too.
    prometheus0102
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/22 07:30:55 (permalink)
    dlbsyst
    dugoth
    Sajin

Sign of imminent release of new GPU's? fingers crossed.
    Y3didya
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 219
    Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/22 07:49:42 (permalink)
    prometheus0102
    dlbsyst
    dugoth
    Sajin

I highly doubt that... it will take some time till new ones get released/be available as FE versions

• EVGA X299 Dark • Intel Core i9 7920X • 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3200 CL14 • Seasonic PRIME 80+ Platinum 850W • EVGA GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N Hydro Copper

Click here to save 3%-10% on your next EVGA purchase - My associates code is ZQ9K3H42VHCXOEM

|| Thank you justin_43, liked your Signature format so had to adapt it :)

dlbsyst
    iCX Member
    Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/22 09:19:06 (permalink)
    prometheus0102
    dlbsyst
    dugoth
    Sajin

Yea, that's what I was thinking.lol
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: Conversations over pricing and how it could impact customers 2018/03/22 10:35:31 (permalink)
    Sajin

We're talking about's EVGA's original MSRP. These cards have had a very noticeable increase in price from EVGA. That's what people were coming here for, because once they hit places like Newegg, they would get priced way more then what EVGA had them at in their store.
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 8
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile