EVGA

Hot!Cable compatibility

Author
jusam
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2023/11/30 10:20:27 (permalink)
I realize this has already been discussed somewhere here but I can't find it. I'm currently running a 750 BQ. I have a 750 G+ 80% that I would like to install. I'm not the smartest guy and I'm having a bit of a hard time making sense out of the compatibility chart. Will the cables from the 750 BQ work with my 750 G+. While doing research I learned that it is a dangerous game to play by switching psu and and not making sure cables are compatible.
I'm running a Gigabyte GA-B350M-DSEH mobo
Rysen 9 3900x
64gb of Kingston fury ram
1080ti extreme 11gb
And I have a question about my gpu. All benchmark and software analysis tell me the 1080 is performing as expected. Device mananger says it good. But sometimes the rgb lighting of the zotac 1080ti extreme starts flashing between dim and bright and when it does this my Star Citizen game crashes. The flashing is not part of the spectra lighting control pattern I have programmed. I have the cycle program running and it stays on that pattern but as I stated begins flashing from dim to bright.  Could the 750 BQ be malfunctioning somehow and cause this? Thanks

5 Replies Related Threads

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30582
    • Ribbons : 123
    Re: Cable compatibility 2023/11/30 14:31:06 (permalink)
    You are Correct "While doing research I learned that it is a dangerous game to play by switching psu and and not making sure cables are compatible."

As cables are custom pinned for the PSU outputs they come with ... so the device end has the correct connections

I Would Change to the new cables with the new PSU

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

Older RIG projects RTX Project  Nibbler

jusam
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re: Cable compatibility 2023/11/30 19:27:19 (permalink)
    Hey Cool GTX, thanks for getting back so quick, I appreciate that. Ok, so that's what I thought. Re-cable it and be safe. Thanks again.
    What do you think about that rgb dimming prob on my 1080ti? Is it possible the currently running 750BQ is beginning to fail under load. The 1080ti uses about 270w I think.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30582
    • Ribbons : 123
    Re: Cable compatibility 2023/12/01 13:32:50 (permalink)
    (snip, OP)
    "sometimes the rgb lighting of the zotac 1080ti extreme starts flashing between dim and bright and when it does this my Star Citizen game crashes. The flashing is not part of the spectra lighting control pattern I have programmed."

No idea about that brand or its LED control software, as I do not have one.
    ? - Does it only happen in Star Citizen?       
    ? - Does it happen if you set your GPU LED to a static color?
    My best guess:

1) The Game is crashing & the LED issue is just collateral damage.

2) Does the Game crash if the software to adjusted LED on GPU is off? If not there is some sort of Conflict between those two software products

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

Older RIG projects RTX Project  Nibbler

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 83839
    • Ribbons : 85
    Re: Cable compatibility 2023/12/02 03:34:35 (permalink)
    The first post refers to PSUs so I am moving this thread to that forum. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

jscraw
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: Cable compatibility 2023/12/10 02:12:44 (permalink)
    For your specific case, it's safest not to use the cables from your 750 BQ with the 750 G+. Although they are both 750W units, different models can have varying cable configurations and pinouts. The safest approach is to use the cables that come with your new 750 G+ PSU.
    Regarding your GPU issue with the Zotac 1080Ti Extreme, the fluctuating RGB lighting and game crashes might be symptoms of an unstable power supply, but it's not necessarily conclusive. The PSU could be a factor, especially if it's not providing consistent power to the GPU. However, it's also possible that the issue lies with the GPU itself, such as a firmware issue or a problem with the RGB controller.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile