EVGA

Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation.

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
jankerson
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 901
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/12 15:36:27 (permalink)
jdmwrxpower
kurtley
jankerson

Your T2 1000 will be fine.

Oh good. Thanks, jankerson. So, the issues are PSU related then. Good to know.

It seems that way. I used my factory cables instead of my custom cables to be safe. If you have a loose pin it can cause an arc which also leads to higher resistance on the cable, the PSU may or may not trip but if it doesn't the extra resistance will degrade the power going to the card. Also power supply caps are different for each mfg. Some use top tier components and some use inexpensive ones. In the PSU category you do get what you pay for and it's one of the most vital components you should never cheap out on. Proper power delivery is key for component reliability.

The PSU and the MB are by far the most important parts of the PC, they are the last things people need to be cutting corners on.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W.

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.
jankerson
SSC Member
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/12 15:38:04 (permalink)
arestavo
kurtley
jankerson

Your T2 1000 will be fine.

Oh good. Thanks, jankerson. So, the issues are PSU related then. Good to know.

Some are - and some are cabling (PCIE power or sometimes even other cables, due to increased total system power drawn), some are botched MCU firmware updates (likely other programs interfering, like AV), some are driver related (mostly resolved), some are video cable related (mostly HDMI 2.1 cables that can't handle the bandwidth, but some are DP cables that don't work right), and some are cards that really do poop the bed seemingly randomly as with any product in history (and that's why I get EVGA cards for their warranty - based in the US no less (even if it is the dictatorship of california)).

I was talking more about the PSU shutdown issues.

The rest is a crapshoot.

I had to RMA my 3080 FTW3 Ultra due to issues.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W.

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.
jacoffey85
  • Total Posts : 54
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/12 15:56:08 (permalink)
jankerson
Right.

The transient power spikes only last for a few microseconds, the real issue is they can be twice what the measured power would be. So for simple example a 400W draw could be 800W transient spike for a few milliseconds.  

So as it was explained to me by someone who designs PSUs the issue is on the secondary side of the PSU. It's how big the caps are (rated at) and or how they are used. If they can't handle that load the PSU will simply shut down to protect itself.

The transient power spikes you’re talking about in the other thread the user posted with the power graph aren’t coming from the PSU. In that aspect transient power spikes aren’t really a thing, at least from the hardware side. What that person was probably talking about is transient voltage spikes which isn’t the same thing in this context. Transient voltages spikes come from collapsing magnetic fields around capacitors and even more so in inductors.

The reason the power spikes isn’t a thing on the hardware side is because an electromagnet field collapses when current is removed. The collapse causes a voltage spike proportional to the strength of the field, but it’s very little power when this happens because there’s little to no current. Transformers work off of this principle. Even though it’s low power, the voltage can cause silicon in solid state devices to degrade quickly. I have to load balance frequency drives and electrical motors sometimes to eliminate these voltage spikes or they’ll damage the insulation in motors.

I read in depth the article you talked about by Aris and the part you’re talking about with small voltage spikes on the voltage ripple after the rectifying phase. He mentions transient voltage spikes during the first stage of rectifying which is right. Voltage spike doesn’t mean power spike, and also that’s just during the first stage of the the rectifier. It goes through a couple more filters and had more suppression afterwards. The only part that’ll truly have an effect on the load in his breakdown is the LLC Resonant Filter right before the last transformer at the output. It will run capacitive, neutral, or inductive depending on the demand of the load. Even then, it’s still electrical isolated through an isolation transformer. His guide is very good, but still is only as good as the person interpreting it.

ATX specification require the voltage to stay within a very tight range and current draw is going to determined by the load. The erratic power draw is coming from the card and either how it is controlling its power limit with the bios, or its coming from the applications you’re running.
post edited by jacoffey85 - 2020/11/12 16:00:16

His
R9-5950X  || EVGA 3090 FTW3 || 32GB Corsair Dominator 4000CL16 || MSI Meg Ace X570 || Lian Li O11D XL || Custom Loop (EKWB/Optimus)

Hers

i9-9900K || EVGA 2080Ti || 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000CL14 || Asus Maximus Hero XI Z390 || Phanteks Evolv X  || EKWB Custom Loop
jankerson
SSC Member
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/12 16:03:05 (permalink)
jacoffey85
jankerson
Right.

The transient power spikes only last for a few microseconds, the real issue is they can be twice what the measured power would be. So for simple example a 400W draw could be 800W transient spike for a few milliseconds.  

So as it was explained to me by someone who designs PSUs the issue is on the secondary side of the PSU. It's how big the caps are (rated at) and or how they are used. If they can't handle that load the PSU will simply shut down to protect itself.

The transient power spikes you’re talking about in the other thread the user posted with the power graph aren’t coming from the PSU. In that aspect transient power spikes aren’t really a thing, at least from the hardware side. What that person was probably talking about is transient voltage spikes which isn’t the same thing in this context. Transient voltages spikes come from collapsing magnetic fields around capacitors and even more so in inductors.

The reason the power spikes isn’t a thing on the hardware side is because an electromagnet field collapses when current is removed. The collapse causes a voltage spike proportional to the strength of the field, but it’s very little power when this happens because there’s little to no current. Transformers work off of this principle. Even though it’s low power, the voltage can cause silicon in solid state devices to degrade quickly. I have to load balance frequency drives and electrical motors sometimes to eliminate these voltage spikes or they’ll damage the insulation in motors.

I read in depth the article you talked about by Aris and the part you’re talking about with small voltage spikes on the voltage ripple after the rectifying phase. He mentions transient voltage spikes during the first stage of rectifying which is right. Voltage spike doesn’t mean power spike, and also that’s just during the first stage of the the rectifier. It goes through a couple more filters and had more suppression afterwards. The only part that’ll truly have an effect on the load in his breakdown is the LLC Resonant Filter right before the last transformer at the output. It will run capacitive, neutral, or inductive depending on the demand of the load. Even then, it’s still electrical isolated through an isolation transformer. His guide is very good, but still is only as good as the person interpreting it.

ATX specification require the voltage to stay within a very tight range and current draw is going to determined by the load. The erratic power draw is coming from the card and either how it is controlling its power limit with the bios, or its coming from the applications you’re running.

Or for those of us who aren't engineers it comes down to PSU design in the end really.

Just to keep it fairly simple.

jacoffey85
  • Total Posts : 54
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/12 16:14:46 (permalink)
jankerson
jacoffey85
jankerson
Right.

Or for those of us who aren't engineers it comes down to PSU design in the end really.

I can agree with that, and you’re completely right, PSU quality matters. Cheap PSU’s don’t have the LLC resonant filter at the end of the circuit and puts more strain on the voltage regulation side of the GPU.

His
R9-5950X  || EVGA 3090 FTW3 || 32GB Corsair Dominator 4000CL16 || MSI Meg Ace X570 || Lian Li O11D XL || Custom Loop (EKWB/Optimus)

Hers

i9-9900K || EVGA 2080Ti || 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000CL14 || Asus Maximus Hero XI Z390 || Phanteks Evolv X  || EKWB Custom Loop
jankerson
SSC Member
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/12 16:18:04 (permalink)
jacoffey85
jankerson
jacoffey85
jankerson
Right.

I can agree with that, and you’re completely right, PSU quality matters. Cheap PSU’s don’t have the LLC resonant filter at the end of the circuit and puts more strain on the voltage regulation side of the GPU.

I really try and not get too complicated.

I know what certain things do and what effect they can have on other components.

PSUs are MUCH more complicated than they used to be in the old days that's for sure. 

richruzz
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/12 22:47:51 (permalink)
What scares me this happened with my 3080 I got this previous weekend and was super pumped. (got a P2 1000W Plat from EVGA) the fans just REVVED UP to max, lost my monitor input but my computer was still running my GPU just shut off... and wouldn't turn back on... then after like 2 minutes it turned on.... (had the power light above one of the VGA connections to PSU 6+2x3 all their own lines) Somehow since it hasn't died fully yet which I'm terrified and still in the "testing phase" of new tech.. but my games do feel a bit choppy and weird and that's coming from a 1080Ti previous.. it shouldn't feel less smooth... right?

Also it's paired with a X570 board, 3900x, NVME main drive, 2x 1TB Samsung Evos, and 16 Gigs of DDR4 3600
sparetimepc
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2413
  • Ribbons : 27
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/12 23:20:55 (permalink)
Well I got my 3090 ftw3 ultra yesterday and updated both bios and the firmware with px1 newest version and so far all is good with no issues.

Nagatoro
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2021/02/06 11:59:36 (permalink)
My card is the same and it catched fire near the pcie slot. I'm a little worried because i leave it on all night sometimes
ItsRym
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2021/02/07 04:37:06 (permalink)
Some GPU fans go into critical performance mode if the GPU is dying from overheating, easily going to 150% to 200% fan speed which can never be reached normally in order to prevent permanent damage. This happened when my old gtx 560 ti from msi overheated to over 105C core temps, the fans went into override, ignored all user settings and went far above 100% speed to cool down the gpu, they were also extremely loud. Around 3 times louder than what 100% sounds like.

I assume the reason your gpu fried itself was because there was a faulty manufacturing error or something was damaged in transit which prevented cooling from having it's intended effects, resulting in a delayed but guaranteed gradual overheating.
Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile