EVGA

Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation.

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
z1nonly
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 244
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/03 12:45:13 (permalink)
When Nvidia created a totally new spec for the connector needed to power their card, they at least included an adapter for free. Now some people are suggesting that Nvidia has created a card that also requires a new PSU-spec that all prior graphics cards have managed to go without.

1) Whatever the industry standard (range) is for transient response, Nvidia needs to work within that range or start providing free PSU's to go with their proprietary power requirements.
2) The response to standard transient times should not be death.....Instability, lower clocks, reboots while still unacceptable, would all be better and at least allow the end user to discover that their PSU lacks the special unobtanium spec. Then the end user can embark on a quest for "The chosen one" PSU that can pull the sword from the stone and restore power to his kingdom.
post edited by z1nonly - 2020/11/03 12:52:51
MelonGx
  • Total Posts : 75
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/05 04:56:53 (permalink)
Stop PSU arguments.

Someone said EVGA has 10A fuse on FTW3’s each 8-Pin.
Since the red lamp came before driver 457.09, it’s probably the 10A fuse’s blowing issue now.

3090 consumes 940W peak power within 1ms in specific patterns
->
940/3=313 > 12*10=120
->
Three 10A fuses all blowed
->
Red lamp
post edited by MelonGx - 2020/11/05 04:58:54

EVGA H370 Stinger / i7 9700T / 16GB 2667 / 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD / UHD630 / abee 150W DC-ATX / abee acubic S10
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18926
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/05 05:06:01 (permalink)
MelonGx
Stop PSU arguments.

Someone said EVGA has 10A fuse on FTW3’s each 8-Pin.
Since the red lamp came before driver 457.09, it’s probably the 10A fuse’s blowing issue now.

3090 consumes 940W peak power within 1ms in specific patterns
->
940/3=313 > 12*10=120
->
Three 10A fuses all blowed
->
Red lamp

940W is an insane spike no matter how brief it is - I hope a firmware update can put a lid on that, or people will keep blowing the fuses and having to RMA.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

cneuhauser
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1334
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/05 06:39:01 (permalink)
and this... is why I ALWAYS keep my old GPU around for a few weeks before I put it up on Craig's List.

Ironic how everyone is talking about power supplies not being "good enough", yet there was news that the capacitors were having issues delivering clean power to the GPU... hmmm, makes ya wonder! Doesn't take a rocket scientist...

Entho Evolv Anthracite Grey
ASUS ROG E-Gaming X299
i7 9800x 4.8ghz on water (Cuplex Vision block) 
EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra / Water / EK Block
GSkill Trident Z - 32gig
2x Samsung 1TB SSD Evo
Intel SSD 730 Series 240GB 
Windows 10 Ultimate  
EVGA 1600 SuperNova T2 
Samsung G7 Faker 32" 240hz monitor
Asus ROG Swift PG329Q 175hz monitor
SteelSeries Arctis Pro+DAC
B&W 801s, Driven by Sumo Amp via DAC
Intoxicus
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 406
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/05 08:09:25 (permalink)
marcula
CPU: 6700k @ 4.5 GHz
Mobo: Asrock Z170 Extreme7+
PSU: Seasonic Snow Silent Platinum Rated 1050w (5 years old)

Installed the 3090 with no issues. It was replacing my FTW3 1080 ti.

Card was mounted in the top x16 slot, and case was open to keep an eye on things because I'm paranoid whenever I install new hardware (heh...) So plenty of breathing room for it. Ambient temp in my room was like 72 F / 22 C. 

Updated to latest Nvidia drivers, installed Precision X1 and updated the firmware when prompted to. Changed the RGB color but didn't touch OCing or fan control. 3090 was idling around 30 C.

Ran a few games and tried rendering some stuff in Adobe Premiere. No issues and performance seemed great. Highest temp I saw was 63 C.

I'd had the card in for all of 4 hours at that point. I was idling on the desktop while chatting to a friend on Discord when suddenly... The screen went black, I heard the fans on the 3090 ramp up to jet engine mode, and I could faintly smell burnt plastic/electronics. Quickly powered the PC down and gave it a few minutes to cool off.

Powered back up and the card had a single red light with no RGB.

I was able to get into bios and windows using my 2nd monitor plugged into my mobo using the igpu. The 3090 wasn't recognized at all. Tried running DDU and reseating the card. No dice. Flipped the OC bios switch while powered down. Nothing.

So my brand new, $1800, not even out of the box for 24 hours GPU is a brick. I reinstalled my 1080ti and it's working just fine.

I called tech support last night and the guy I spoke to was great. Started the RMA process, went with the standard option so I just gotta ship my card back to get the replacement. Hopefully it was just a random lemon from the bunch and not indicative of a larger issue with FTW3s. But there's been several other threads, and this guy's video which all pretty much describe the same issues: (edit- can't post links?) youtube dot com watch?v=qUVdJxdqUNY

I'm also skimming these other threads talking about certain PSUs not being able to handle the 3090's transient power spikes. My PSU is a bit older now (Seasonic Snow Silent 1050w) but it's got more than enough wattage, and Seasonic isn't known for being crap... And never had an issue when my 1080ti was installed. So people saying "x PSU (doesn't) work with a 3090" seems like pretty worthless data, unless they've personally tested multiple PSUs with the same card.

Seems like a defect. Your card wouldn't be bricked by not getting enough power. Too much power would be a far more likely cause of a brick.

I had an EVGA 2070 that died after several months. Did a visual inspection and saw two capacitors touching each other in way that was obviously a short. Was shocked my card had lasted as many months as it had. EVGA support had never even heard or seen touching caps like that before they told me.

Defects like that happen. QC is not perfect. It sucks, but that is what RMA and Warranties are for. And EVGA has amazing warranty/RMA support that you will experience :)

"Humans are not rational animals, humans are rationalizing animals." -Robert A Heinlein
arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6916
  • Ribbons : 76
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/05 08:37:12 (permalink)
Intoxicus
Seems like a defect. Your card wouldn't be bricked by not getting enough power. Too much power would be a far more likely cause of a brick.

Cards draw power, PSUs don't push power - which your third sentence seems to reference. So, the PSU only provides what the card pulls - not more, and not less unless the PSU electrically cannot provide what the GPU is trying to draw.
jankerson
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 901
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/05 08:44:16 (permalink)
arestavo
Intoxicus

Cards draw power, PSUs don't push power - which your third sentence seems to reference. So, the PSU only provides what the card pulls - not more, and not less unless the PSU electrically cannot provide what the GPU is trying to draw.

Right, unless there is an issue like a short or a problem with the PSU then that would be different.

But under normal circumstances yes the PSU supplies the power requested of it by the hardware.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W.

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/05 08:48:32 (permalink)
jankerson
arestavo
Intoxicus

Right, unless there is an issue like a short or a problem with the PSU then that would be different.

But under normal circumstances yes the PSU supplies the power requested of it by the hardware.

So.. the problem would be the card, not the PSU, or at least the card demanding more power than the PSU can provide. Wouldn't a firmware update be able to cap these spikes?

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1289
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/05 08:51:51 (permalink)
I hope this will truly get sort it out. Even with 1080Ti’s and 2080Ti’s there were some issues, but this! Every few days someone reports dead card.
I was just speaking with Asus Strix owners and rarely dead cards, issues they are dealing with is minor compare to this, one of the fans rattling at 70-75% speed, that's all, which is still an issue when you pay that much, but I think EVGA might have overlooked at something with their cards why they dying so randomly even on idle.

arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/05 08:52:19 (permalink)
Nereus
jankerson
arestavo
Intoxicus

So.. the problem would be the card, not the PSU, or at least the card demanding more power than the PSU can provide. Wouldn't a firmware update be able to cap these spikes?

Maybe.

But some cheaper PSUs that meet the wattage requirements don't have capacitors that can handle the transient spikes, and just shut down. The EVGA GA line for example - even the 850 watt ones. Other 750W and 850W power supplies with higher capacity caps work fine.

A VBIOS update might help, but it's unlikely since the power draw of these cards even for the base models is so much higher than the last generation of cards.
jankerson
SSC Member
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/05 09:02:31 (permalink)
Nereus
jankerson
arestavo
Intoxicus

No.

Transient power spikes are not a new thing, they started to become more apparent in GPUS starting with the 1000X series and the Radeon Vega 64.

Graphics cards go from 0 to 100% in microseconds, so the power draw will spike for a few microseconds.

Like when a electric motor starts up, it draws more power to get it going then levels off.

Same thing with GPUs

With the PSUs it's just plain and simple poor design on the secondary side of the unit. Some of it is caused by cost cutting as we all know cost seems to be a large factor with people. So the companies have to have multiple tiers of PSUs based on cost and quality will also go up or down depending.

In the end people need to start taking the PSUs more seriously instead of the 1st thing they cheap out on. And actually do some real research looking at the professional reviews. They will spend a month researching keyboards or a mouse, but don't even bother to research a PSU at all before buying it.

The PSU is the most important part of the PC by far, but it's not fluff or exciting to post on line like RGB whatever to show off. So people don't even think about it and just buy the cheapest or whatever is $10 less than something else.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W.

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1289
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/05 09:06:25 (permalink)
jankerson
Nereus
jankerson
arestavo
Intoxicus

The PSU is the most important part of the PC by far, but it's not fluff or exciting to post on line like RGB whatever to show off. So people don't even think about it and just buy the cheapest or whatever is $10 less than something else.

I will absolutely agree on that, but some add reason majority of people don't think that.
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/05 09:09:10 (permalink)
jankerson
Nereus
jankerson
arestavo
Intoxicus

No.

Transient power spikes are not a new thing, they started to become more apparent in GPUS starting with the 1000X series and the Radeon Vega 64.

Graphics cards go from 0 to 100% in microseconds, so the power draw will spike for a few microseconds.

Like when a electric motor starts up, it draws more power to get it going then levels off.

Same thing with GPUs

With the PSUs it's just plain and simple poor design on the secondary side of the unit. Some of it is caused by cost cutting as we all know cost seems to be a large factor with people. So the companies have to have multiple tiers of PSUs based on cost and quality will also go up or down depending.

In the end people need to start taking the PSUs more seriously instead of the 1st thing they cheap out on. And actually do some real research looking at the professional reviews. They will spend a month researching keyboards or a mouse, but don't even bother to research a PSU at all before buying it.

I get it, but can there not be an enforced cap on that spike? I'm not an electrical engineer so I have no idea what can and can't be done in this situation.

I purchased a SuperNOVA 850 T2 for this build, so hopefully I'm not going to have any issues... 3090 FTW3 Ultra delivery expected first half of next week.

jankerson
SSC Member
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/05 09:09:40 (permalink)
AWK16
jankerson
Nereus
jankerson
arestavo
Intoxicus

I will absolutely agree on that, but some add reason majority of people don't think that.

Ignorance, stupidity, bad advice and there is more than plenty of that flying around on the internet.

Or just plain cheap.

jankerson
SSC Member
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/05 09:10:49 (permalink)
Nereus
jankerson
Nereus
jankerson
arestavo
Intoxicus

No.

Same thing with GPUs

I get it, but can there not be an enforced cap on that spike? I'm not an electrical engineer so I have no idea what can and can't be done in this situation.

I purchased a SuperNOVA 850 T2 for this build, so hopefully I'm not going to have any issues... 3090 FTW3 Ultra delivery expected first half of next week.

You will be fine with your T2 850W.

Don't worry about it.

arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/05 09:11:20 (permalink)
Nereus
jankerson
Nereus
jankerson
arestavo
Intoxicus

No.

Same thing with GPUs

The P and T series from EVGA all seem to be fine, even the 750 and 850W ones.

Be sure to add yours to the list when it works! https://forums.evga.com/W...-WORKING-m3118557.aspx
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/05 09:14:14 (permalink)

Will do. 

jdmwrxpower
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 116
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/05 21:40:09 (permalink)
Nereus
jankerson
Nereus
jankerson
arestavo
Intoxicus

No.

Same thing with GPUs

When the card ramps up it is asking the power supply for more power. The issue is resistance. Resistance creates heat and limits current. The spike can actually blow the output on the power supply at the so instead the card is now operating on limited voltage and current. It's like a brown out for your video card. Enough power and current to run but operates dangerously below the threshold and causes electronics to fail. When you read about cheap power supplies you have to question the integrity of the circuits. Like one user stated when an electric motor starts it draws the most current that is why electricians install slow blow fuses because if you don't they will pop a normal fuse. Top tier power supplies are generally really good at handling spikes. The more headroom you have the better but weather or not you have 1000w or 1600w supply what matters is how much current can flow over the voltage rails which is all internal. What needs to happen is the card needs to be able to detect when it's calling for power and not getting enough to immediately shut itself down. Isolation safety circuit like an automatic E-stop so nothing is damaged. All I ever used was EVGA power supplies and they are great but I will caution you on using EVGA replacement cable sets they sell. Two of my friends lost a 2080ti after using the EVGA cables. After close inspection we found some of the pins were not crimper all the way and they were almost black which is indictive to arcing in the electrical fiels and electrical engineering world. Always use the factory cables that came with the PSU. Just my thoughts
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/05 22:29:52 (permalink)
jdmwrxpower
When the card ramps up it is asking the power supply for more power. The issue is resistance. Resistance creates heat and limits current. The spike can actually blow the output on the power supply at the so instead the card is now operating on limited voltage and current. It's like a brown out for your video card. Enough power and current to run but operates dangerously below the threshold and causes electronics to fail. When you read about cheap power supplies you have to question the integrity of the circuits. Like one user stated when an electric motor starts it draws the most current that is why electricians install slow blow fuses because if you don't they will pop a normal fuse. Top tier power supplies are generally really good at handling spikes. The more headroom you have the better but weather or not you have 1000w or 1600w supply what matters is how much current can flow over the voltage rails which is all internal. What needs to happen is the card needs to be able to detect when it's calling for power and not getting enough to immediately shut itself down. Isolation safety circuit like an automatic E-stop so nothing is damaged. All I ever used was EVGA power supplies and they are great but I will caution you on using EVGA replacement cable sets they sell. Two of my friends lost a 2080ti after using the EVGA cables. After close inspection we found some of the pins were not crimper all the way and they were almost black which is indictive to arcing in the electrical fiels and electrical engineering world. Always use the factory cables that came with the PSU. Just my thoughts

Thanks for that explanation, awesome! As it happens, I do have individually sleeved cables from EVGA ...I've been using them for a few years without issue so far.. hmm

jacoffey85
  • Total Posts : 54
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/12 13:28:34 (permalink)
Nereus
Thanks for that explanation, awesome! As it happens, I do have individually sleeved cables from EVGA ...I've been using them for a few years without issue so far.. hmm

Usually the problem comes from aftermarket cable kits, I’ve personally never had issues with any of my included PSU cables.

Another thing to note, while I completely agree with getting a quality PSU for your PC, I’m realizing there’s a lot people in some of these threads related to PSU problems who don’t know how they actually work. One example would be people talking about OCP yet they’re a little off on how overcurrent protection is designed or what it is even trying to protect. I’m seeing a few terms getting tossed around such as “transient” but based on the context I don’t think some people using it truly understand it. Look for professional reviews on PSU’s. I’m an Electrical Controls Engineer, but even I can learn a thing or two about PSU from in depth reviews about designs since it’s not something I do every day.

His
R9-5950X  || EVGA 3090 FTW3 || 32GB Corsair Dominator 4000CL16 || MSI Meg Ace X570 || Lian Li O11D XL || Custom Loop (EKWB/Optimus)

Hers

i9-9900K || EVGA 2080Ti || 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3000CL14 || Asus Maximus Hero XI Z390 || Phanteks Evolv X  || EKWB Custom Loop
transdogmifier
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6116
  • Ribbons : 17
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/12 13:35:11 (permalink)
It always amazes me when people spend 1500-2000 on a video card and 110 on a PSU.

Blows my minds fuse, as it were

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
Deepcool LT720
Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
Phanteks P500A Case

jankerson
SSC Member
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/12 13:42:44 (permalink)
transdogmifier
It always amazes me when people spend 1500-2000 on a video card and 110 on a PSU.

Blows my minds fuse, as it were

Well, the main problems are:

Very poor advice all over the internet in general.

People on some forums etc that make a habit out of under recommending both wattage and quality.

Coddling budget buyers.

People don't understand how important the PSU really is.

The PSU is the last thing on the list after they picked all of the other parts and all the bling that looks good on forum posts etc. So they cut wattage and or quality to fit their budget.

They don't do any research looking at professional teardown reviews. They will research a keyboard or mouse forever before buying them. But pick any old PSU because it's cheap without any thought.

jankerson
SSC Member
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/12 13:57:57 (permalink)
jacoffey85
Nereus

Usually the problem comes from aftermarket cable kits, I’ve personally never had issues with any of my included PSU cables.

Another thing to note, while I completely agree with getting a quality PSU for your PC, I’m realizing there’s a lot people in some of these threads related to PSU problems who don’t know how they actually work. One example would be people talking about OCP yet they’re a little off on how overcurrent protection is designed or what it is even trying to protect. I’m seeing a few terms getting tossed around such as “transient” but based on the context I don’t think some people using it truly understand it. Look for professional reviews on PSU’s. I’m an Electrical Controls Engineer, but even I can learn a thing or two about PSU from in depth reviews about designs since it’s not something I do every day.

Right.

The transient power spikes only last for a few microseconds, the real issue is they can be twice what the measured power would be. So for simple example a 400W draw could be 800W transient spike for a few milliseconds.  

So as it was explained to me by someone who designs PSUs the issue is on the secondary side of the PSU. It's how big the caps are (rated at) and or how they are used. If they can't handle that load the PSU will simply shut down to protect itself. So the PSU could be a 1200W unit and still shut down.

kurtley
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/12 15:11:23 (permalink)
Geez, this post scares me. I shipped my 2080 ti through the Step-Up program last week, and my 3090 FTW3 Ultra should be here next week. 

EVGA Reward Code: MXPPC8EW63
---------------------
CPU: AMD 3900XT @ Stock/3.8GHz (Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT, 360mm Radiator AIO)
MB: Gigabyte X570 AORUS Master ~ PSU: eVGA SuperNova T2 1000
RAM: 2x16GB Corsair Dominator 3200MHz CL16 1.35V (stock)
Video Card: eVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra Gaming 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo 719
SSDs: Gigabyte AORUS NVMe Gen4 M.2. 1TB PCIe 4.0 (Windows), Gigabyte AORUS NVMe Gen4 M.2. 2TB PCIe 4.0 (Games), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB M.2 NVMe
Display: Alienware 55 OLED AW5520QF  (3840x2160 @ 120Hz)
Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed ~ Mouse Mat: Logitech PowerPlay
Keyboard: Logitech G915 TKL ~ Sound: Soundblaster Katana X
Microphone: HyperX Quadcast
jankerson
SSC Member
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/12 15:23:18 (permalink)
kurtley
Geez, this post scares me. I shipped my 2080 ti through the Step-Up program last week, and my 3090 FTW3 Ultra should be here next week. 

Your T2 1000 will be fine.

jdmwrxpower
Superclocked Member
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/12 15:25:43 (permalink)
kurtley
I'm using a titanium 1600w and having no issues with my 3090 ftw3 ultra
kurtley
  • Total Posts : 6
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/12 15:29:16 (permalink)
jankerson

Oh good. Thanks, jankerson. So, the issues are PSU related then. Good to know.

EVGA Reward Code: MXPPC8EW63
---------------------
CPU: AMD 3900XT @ Stock/3.8GHz (Corsair H150i RGB Pro XT, 360mm Radiator AIO)
MB: Gigabyte X570 AORUS Master ~ PSU: eVGA SuperNova T2 1000
RAM: 2x16GB Corsair Dominator 3200MHz CL16 1.35V (stock)
Video Card: eVGA RTX 2080 Ti XC Ultra Gaming 
Case: Phanteks Enthoo 719
SSDs: Gigabyte AORUS NVMe Gen4 M.2. 1TB PCIe 4.0 (Windows), Gigabyte AORUS NVMe Gen4 M.2. 2TB PCIe 4.0 (Games), Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB M.2 NVMe
Display: Alienware 55 OLED AW5520QF  (3840x2160 @ 120Hz)
Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed ~ Mouse Mat: Logitech PowerPlay
Keyboard: Logitech G915 TKL ~ Sound: Soundblaster Katana X
Microphone: HyperX Quadcast
jankerson
SSC Member
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/12 15:33:26 (permalink)
kurtley
jankerson

Just a few PSU models really from what i have been seeing, mostly the more budget models or older ones.

jdmwrxpower
Superclocked Member
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/12 15:34:10 (permalink)
kurtley
jankerson

It seems that way. I used my factory cables instead of my custom cables to be safe. If you have a loose pin it can cause an arc which also leads to higher resistance on the cable, the PSU may or may not trip but if it doesn't the extra resistance will degrade the power going to the card. Also power supply caps are different for each mfg. Some use top tier components and some use inexpensive ones. In the PSU category you do get what you pay for and it's one of the most vital components you should never cheap out on. Proper power delivery is key for component reliability.
arestavo
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: Another one bites the dust... 3090 FTW3 Ultra bricked within hours of installation. 2020/11/12 15:35:23 (permalink)
kurtley
jankerson

Some are - and some are cabling (PCIE power or sometimes even other cables, due to increased total system power drawn), some are botched MCU firmware updates (likely other programs interfering, like AV), some are driver related (mostly resolved), some are video cable related (mostly HDMI 2.1 cables that can't handle the bandwidth, but some are DP cables that don't work right), and some are cards that really do poop the bed seemingly randomly as with any product in history (and that's why I get EVGA cards for their warranty - based in the US no less (even if it is the dictatorship of california)).
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile