EVGA

Announcing EVGA 1080 Ti with iCX - Coming Soon

Page: << < ..3132333435.. > >> Showing page 32 of 43
Author
SonicAgamemnon
  • Total Posts : 33
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: EVGA 1080 Ti with iCX 2017/03/31 13:04:30 (permalink)
GG007
EVGA really needs to hire some real web development experts and build a retail site from scratch that can actually handle the load demands most of their product release/pre-orders generate.

I understand the frustration.  EVGA may be able to afford the considerable resources (hardware, operational and engineering labor) necessary to scale their software and infrastructure to handle peak "release hour instanity", but they (like most other businesses) probably cannot justify the costs involved. 

For many organizations, a major and costly re-engineering effort using larger IT staffing is needed to beef up network, server, system and application software to handle worst-case loading scenarios.  EVGA (and many other companies) need a really flexible system based on the latest micro-service architecture (Amazon's Web Services, for example) that quickly scales up and back down as demand dictates, but that requires a major investment to attain.  Most companies just cannot afford or are unwilling for whatever reason to fully move in that direction.  Instead, systems are designed and operated for "normal" usage patterns, not peak, avoiding the costs associated with running a ton of latent resources that aren't utilized most of the time-- when those nutty release events are not taking place....

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO | MSI X370 XPOWER TITANIUM | EVGA SuperNOVA 1200W Platinum | AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | Kingston HyperX Savage 64GB DDR4 2400MHz | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 in SLI | Dual LG 27UD88-W 4K Monitors | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1TB | Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD | WD Data Center Gold 4TB Drive | Noctua NH-D15 Heatsink
ipkha
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2308
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: EVGA 1080 Ti with iCX 2017/03/31 13:29:30 (permalink)
ahmedmomin
Does anyone know when reviewer will get GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 to review? Any chance if they will get it before the product ships. I've already pre-order the FTW3 just want to see the PCB design and the cooling.

The answer is likely no. They may seed them to reviewers early, but I doubt there'll be enough time for reviewers to publish before pre-orders start to ship. Usually they try to time reviews for initial launch date.

ahmedmomin
  • Total Posts : 5
Re: EVGA 1080 Ti with iCX 2017/03/31 14:31:08 (permalink)
ipkha
ahmedmomin
Does anyone know when reviewer will get GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 to review? Any chance if they will get it before the product ships. I've already pre-order the FTW3 just want to see the PCB design and the cooling.

The answer is likely no. They may seed them to reviewers early, but I doubt there'll be enough time for reviewers to publish before pre-orders start to ship. Usually they try to time reviews for initial launch date.

I'm deciding between EVGA FTW and ASUS STRIX. I really love the that EVGA have put several thermal sensor in ICX cards and also it is nice to see them adding fuse for protection. On other hand I love what Asus is doing with there PCB design, they are using top quality components for better better thermal performance and efficiency. 
RexManning
  • Total Posts : 16
Re: EVGA 1080 Ti with iCX 2017/03/31 16:21:01 (permalink)
SonicAgamemnon
GG007
EVGA really needs to hire some real web development experts and build a retail site from scratch that can actually handle the load demands most of their product release/pre-orders generate.

I understand the frustration.  EVGA may be able to afford the considerable resources (hardware, operational and engineering labor) necessary to scale their software and infrastructure to handle peak "release hour instanity", but they (like most other businesses) probably cannot justify the costs involved. 

For many organizations, a major and costly re-engineering effort using larger IT staffing is needed to beef up network, server, system and application software to handle worst-case loading scenarios.  EVGA (and many other companies) need a really flexible system based on the latest micro-service architecture (Amazon's Web Services, for example) that quickly scales up and back down as demand dictates, but that requires a major investment to attain.  Most companies just cannot afford or are unwilling for whatever reason to fully move in that direction.  Instead, systems are designed and operated for "normal" usage patterns, not peak, avoiding the costs associated with running a ton of latent resources that aren't utilized most of the time-- when those nutty release events are not taking place....

No they don't and it's not a matter of cost.  What you are REALLY saying is you want your order on day 1 no matter what.  That's not possible unless you create months long waiting lists which isn't in the interest of the business.

Say you have a system that can handle a million connections and checkout baskets at once but you only have 10,000 pre-orders then what?  Instead of complaining that your F5 didn't work you would be complaining that you had it in your basket and demand they should sell it to you.  Most likely they have the proper solution in place, a load balancer that drops connections over the concurrent limits of the system.  This would explain the 'spam F5 until you get in, then you can buy' but of course this isn't going to stop folks that didn't get lucky from complaining.

There is no technical cure to the self-entitlement that this Age of Social Media has created.  Limited supply means NOT EVERYONE WINS because this is real life not Snowflakeville.  

Why aren't you demanding that Nvidia delay their launches by another 8 months so that everyone that wants to buy one at launch will be able to?  Why aren't you on every news outlet's site forums blasting them for pre-release hype?  The way I see it, EVGA handled this launch rather well and better than I personally expected.
RexManning
Re: EVGA 1080 Ti with iCX 2017/03/31 16:26:29 (permalink)
ahmedmomin
ipkha
ahmedmomin

I'm deciding between EVGA FTW and ASUS STRIX. I really love the that EVGA have put several thermal sensor in ICX cards and also it is nice to see them adding fuse for protection. On other hand I love what Asus is doing with there PCB design, they are using top quality components for better better thermal performance and efficiency. 

You mean ASUS is using bigger buzz words and flashier marketing right?  No hands-on means no actual comparison and given the LONG history between all of the AIB partners aside from the rare occasional outliers the REAL differences come down to customer support, looks and brand loyalty.  99% of everything else is marketing.
ipkha
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: EVGA 1080 Ti with iCX 2017/03/31 16:56:30 (permalink)
Personally I like the evga looks better. I hate some of the other cooler designs and overly flashy aesthetics. The great customer support is a nice bonus. There isn't really much difference between aftermarket cards. There just aren't really that many components to choose from. It all comes down to the heatsink design and to some minor extent the board layout.

Cj31100
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: EVGA 1080 Ti with iCX 2017/03/31 19:07:47 (permalink)
RexManning

There is no technical cure to the self-entitlement that this Age of Social Media has created.  Limited supply means NOT EVERYONE WINS because this is real life not Snowflakeville.  

Why aren't you demanding that Nvidia delay their launches by another 8 months so that everyone that wants to buy one at launch will be able to?  Why aren't you on every news outlet's site forums blasting them for pre-release hype?  The way I see it, EVGA handled this launch rather well and better than I personally expected.

Here here, that's real talk right there.  Couldn't have said it better myself.  Good ****.
post edited by Cj31100 - 2017/03/31 19:09:50
myndlessdayz
  • Total Posts : 42
Re: EVGA 1080 Ti with iCX 2017/04/01 01:37:13 (permalink)
Cj31100
RexManning

Here here, that's real talk right there.  Couldn't have said it better myself.  Good ****.

+1 to this
SonicAgamemnon
  • Total Posts : 33
Re: EVGA 1080 Ti with iCX 2017/04/01 05:40:44 (permalink)
RexManning

No they don't and it's not a matter of cost.  What you are REALLY saying is you want your order on day 1 no matter what.  That's not possible unless you create months long waiting lists which isn't in the interest of the business.

Say you have a system that can handle a million connections and checkout baskets at once but you only have 10,000 pre-orders then what?  Instead of complaining that your F5 didn't work you would be complaining that you had it in your basket and demand they should sell it to you.  Most likely they have the proper solution in place, a load balancer that drops connections over the concurrent limits of the system.  This would explain the 'spam F5 until you get in, then you can buy' but of course this isn't going to stop folks that didn't get lucky from complaining.

Wow.  You are totally misrepresenting my point.  I am talking about the sluggishness of the system during busy hours and the considerable costs involved to avoid poor response time and outright HTTP 5xx responses during such periods, not stock levels/quantities or the lack thereof-- that is, as you point out, an entirely different matter.  I am not referring to nor expect quantities-on-hand to meet demand on release day, let alone a pre-release event.  I'm not talking about people complaining about missing out on a limited availability product.  I am referring to the sluggish system and outright system failure (even 500 errors) during busy hour events.  I don't even expect EVGA to handle (avoid the sluggishness and 500 errors) these peak events.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO | MSI X370 XPOWER TITANIUM | EVGA SuperNOVA 1200W Platinum | AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | Kingston HyperX Savage 64GB DDR4 2400MHz | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 in SLI | Dual LG 27UD88-W 4K Monitors | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1TB | Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD | WD Data Center Gold 4TB Drive | Noctua NH-D15 Heatsink
ipkha
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: EVGA 1080 Ti with iCX 2017/04/01 08:19:44 (permalink)
SonicAgamemnon
RexManning

Wow.  You are totally misrepresenting my point.  I am talking about the sluggishness of the system during busy hours and the considerable costs involved to avoid poor response time and outright HTTP 5xx responses during such periods, not stock levels/quantities or the lack thereof-- that is, as you point out, an entirely different matter.  I am not referring to nor expect quantities-on-hand to meet demand on release day, let alone a pre-release event.  I'm not talking about people complaining about missing out on a limited availability product.  I am referring to the sluggish system and outright system failure (even 500 errors) during busy hour events.  I don't even expect EVGA to handle (avoid the sluggishness and 500 errors) these peak events.

I'm not sure you understand how Web sites are actually designed. There's many factors that determine what delays you see. The end bottleneck is the database containing the quantities of cards at hand to actually order. You can't load Balance that in any way. Sure, everything leading up to that point can be sped up, but key systems can't. For example, the payment verification requires feedback from a 3rd party and those delays are inevitable due to the nature of credit card processing. There's just no fix for these kinds of issues for small companies like EVGA.

exilelrrp
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 411
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: EVGA 1080 Ti with iCX 2017/04/01 09:44:53 (permalink)
What's the difference between the (6696-KR vs 6796-KR) seems the same...

*Lian Li PC-011D Mini (Black) *i9-10900K *ROG Strix Z490-G *Nzxt Kraken Z73/Lian Li UNI SL120 Series *Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 *Corsair HX1200i *EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ultra FTW3 *Samsung 970 Evo M.2 1TB *Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB *Samsung 840 Evo Series 1TB SSD *Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ *Corsair K70 MK.2 RGB *Corsair Dark Core *Corsair Gaming MM800 *Corsair ST100 *Razer Nari Ultimate.

howdy2u2
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1896
Re: EVGA 1080 Ti with iCX 2017/04/01 12:25:33 (permalink)
exilelrrp
What's the difference between the (6696-KR vs 6796-KR) seems the same...

Yes they are the same but different.................

6696-KR- FTW3 comes with factory shroud

6796-KR- FTW3 Elite member only options- shroud available in 5 different colors

Click the Elite Member Exclusive button>>>>>>>>>>>    https://www.evga.com/prod...aspx?pn=11G-P4-6796-KR

What does it take to become an Elite Member ??...............We will know "Soon"

RexManning
Re: EVGA 1080 Ti with iCX 2017/04/01 14:29:41 (permalink)
ipkha
SonicAgamemnon
RexManning

I'm not sure you understand how Web sites are actually designed. There's many factors that determine what delays you see. The end bottleneck is the database containing the quantities of cards at hand to actually order. You can't load Balance that in any way. Sure, everything leading up to that point can be sped up, but key systems can't. For example, the payment verification requires feedback from a 3rd party and those delays are inevitable due to the nature of credit card processing. There's just no fix for these kinds of issues for small companies like EVGA.

Not to mention that 500 is arbitrary and could literally mean anything.  So is 'sluggish'.  I didn't experience anything I considered a significant fault during this launch.  I did see times when the website stopped processing connections for a few minutes.  When it started normally again, surprise there were changes to the product in the web store.  So your perceived 'failure' of the system was likely a back-end process being disconnected while changes were made and published.

Having worked with half a dozen web servers and dozens of back end systems over the past decade I didn't see anything that yelled out 'this implementation is broken' on EVGA's site.  IMO this is a completely non-issue.  With so many _actual_ issues around the internet it irks me that something like this is considered constructive feedback: 'OMG, your site was SLOW for 5 MINUTES before this release, you NEED to deploy entirely new rapid on-demand and predictive adaptive cloud scaling to account for the less than 1% of the time this affects your site per year.  Oh and make sure you don't pass any of that cost on to the consumer because we will absolutely crucify you for a decision like that.'

If you wanted to talk about how the developer's use of cookies/sessions resulted in some of the connections of the impatient F5 spammers when they abandoned a transaction midway telling them that they already have an open pre-order then yes, I would agree with you that is something they could investigate and, for the customer's sake, at least advise them to completely restart their browser or try a different browser if they felt the message was in error.  This is an issue that could potentially be corrected but, again being 1% and knowing that scores are going to find something to complain about either way I would understand if they did not prioritize it.
Trigun01
  • Total Posts : 27
Re: EVGA 1080 Ti with iCX 2017/04/01 16:32:01 (permalink)
So is this the release date for the FTW 3 it shows May 11th on bhphoto.com
post edited by Trigun01 - 2017/04/01 16:34:19
ipkha
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: EVGA 1080 Ti with iCX 2017/04/01 19:01:52 (permalink)
Estimated ship date is estimated. It's their best guess as to when they'll have stock.
Pre-orders of ftw 3 are expected may 1 for 1st round and 1 week later for the next. But things can and do change from time to time.
I know I wound up with 2 pre-orders due to odd website glitches. Hopefully I can change my payment type later and change out to elite cards once the details are announced.

oO_CurrY_Oo
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: EVGA 1080 Ti with iCX 2017/04/02 05:52:31 (permalink)
Everyone that got a preorder in before the cards are sold out should be getting them in the first batch right? I ordered from the EU store and that seemed to have stock a lot longer than the US store.
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102503
  • Ribbons : 85
Re: EVGA 1080 Ti with iCX 2017/04/02 05:56:54 (permalink)
oO_CurrY_Oo
Everyone that got a preorder in before the cards are sold out should be getting them in the first batch right? I ordered from the EU store and that seemed to have stock a lot longer than the US store.

I can't really verify that but in my personal opinion the EVGA EU webstore is getting better.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

oO_CurrY_Oo
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: EVGA 1080 Ti with iCX 2017/04/02 06:02:01 (permalink)
Alright I guess ill have to wait and see.
Mappi75
  • Total Posts : 60
Re: EVGA 1080 Ti with iCX 2017/04/02 07:51:54 (permalink)
The FTW3 would run without problems in a 2-way-sli ?

I preorder 2x FTW3 and want to build a SLI,
i hope the temps will be much better than the FE.

But the FTW3 cards leave the temps in the case - not like the FE.

What do you think ?

Intel Core i7-6950X @ Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS ROG Rampage V Edition 10 |  3x EVGA GTX Titan Black SC | Kingston HyperX Savage DIMM Kit 128GB, DDR4-2666, CL15 | 2x Samsung SSD 840 PRO (512GB) + 2x Samsung SSD 830 (512GB) | 3x600GB WD6000HLHX VelociRaptor | Plextor PX-L890SA | Corsair AX1500i Titanium | Lian Li TYR PC-X2000F @bequiet Silentwings USC | Eizo FlexScan SX2762W | Bose Companion 5 | Kyocera FS-4020DN
ipkha
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: EVGA 1080 Ti with iCX 2017/04/02 08:09:22 (permalink)
Mappi75

What do you think ?

Just make sure you have good airflow with your case fans.
Any setup is going to need good fresh air flowing into your case. It's just that blower coolers are louder due to the small fan and can reduce the need for exhaust fans.

Mappi75
  • Total Posts : 60
Re: EVGA 1080 Ti with iCX 2017/04/02 08:45:01 (permalink)
i got 3x14 cm coolers in front and 2x14cm cooler in the back of the case - i think that should be fine.

Running a 3-way titan black SC sli ATM.

Intel Core i7-6950X @ Noctua NH-D15S | ASUS ROG Rampage V Edition 10 |  3x EVGA GTX Titan Black SC | Kingston HyperX Savage DIMM Kit 128GB, DDR4-2666, CL15 | 2x Samsung SSD 840 PRO (512GB) + 2x Samsung SSD 830 (512GB) | 3x600GB WD6000HLHX VelociRaptor | Plextor PX-L890SA | Corsair AX1500i Titanium | Lian Li TYR PC-X2000F @bequiet Silentwings USC | Eizo FlexScan SX2762W | Bose Companion 5 | Kyocera FS-4020DN
RexManning
Re: EVGA 1080 Ti with iCX 2017/04/02 11:46:44 (permalink)
Mappi75

What do you think ?

If you're spending that much on the cards why not toss in a couple hundred extra and put them on a custom water cooled loop?  If 1 card can handle  2 seems like a touch of overkill but if you're gonna do it, might as well do it up right.  The noise factor alone has kept me coming back to WC for 15 years and with the right rad/fans you could easily run both cards full tilt and not even see 70C and still be able to hear your dog fart.
jsarver101
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 241
Re: EVGA 1080 Ti with iCX 2017/04/03 03:37:11 (permalink)
Why are you going to sli? I haven't seen a single review that would show any legit scaling that would make the second card worth it

Enthoo Elite - Asus Rampage - 9900x 4.6 @ 1.26v - 32GB Gskill Trident RGB 3200mhz - RTX 2080Ti FTW3 - Corsair 1500i - Samsung 960 Evo 1Tb NVMe - Samsung 840 Pro 512 SSD - Samsung 850 Pro 1Tb SSD - Samsung 840 Evo 1Tb SSD- Corsair H110i - ROG Swift @ 1440p w/ Gsync x3

vincentlaw
  • Total Posts : 14
Re: EVGA 1080 Ti with iCX 2017/04/03 07:17:30 (permalink)
jsarver101
Why are you going to sli? I haven't seen a single review that would show any legit scaling that would make the second card worth it

This is usually because they don't go through the effort of making the games they're benchmarking usable under SLI. SLI is not easy to use, if there isn't a really good pre-made profile, you have to use nVidia Inspector to really get the scaling working. Of course, this hasn't changed from earlier cards either.
draggerlane
  • Total Posts : 83
Re: EVGA 1080 Ti with iCX 2017/04/03 10:54:16 (permalink)
I had to pre-order from the first and second pre-order sessions to get two cards cause I screwed up and didn't select two cards in the first pre-order.  I see all this why SLI.  Well I am SLI my new rig due to future games tech advances so fast now.  I am thinking of the future.  So when the new games come out I at least have the hardware to play that new GTA6 or Forza 8 in the years to come.  You talk about scaling.  Yea right now scaling isn't all that great and yes the game developers need to support it. But think of it in this way.  Wouldn't you rather be over prepared then not prepared at all.  In short it all comes down to what you do on your computer and price.  If your are a hardcore gamer and plays nothing but grahpic demanding games then why not SLI.  for the average user that only plays a game or two I don't see the need for it.  Me I play a lot of games lately on my pc.  so SLI for me sounds the way to go.  I'm also water cooling Two loops one for MB Vram and processor and the other loop for the cards.  I have plenty of room my case is Caselabs SMA8 so I won't have cooling problems plenty of room and more then enough room for rads.  I have been planning this build for months now.    For me right now It's taking almost every single cent of my free money to get these two cards in fact the whole computer is.  But when I'm done with it I know I won't have to build another computer for at least 5 years. This is why I am SLI my new rig. is it the right call I feel it is but who knows only time will tell.
RexManning
Re: EVGA 1080 Ti with iCX 2017/04/03 15:51:40 (permalink)
draggerlane
I had to pre-order from the first and second pre-order sessions to get two cards cause I screwed up and didn't select two cards in the first pre-order.  I see all this why SLI.  Well I am SLI my new rig due to future games tech advances so fast now.  I am thinking of the future.  So when the new games come out I at least have the hardware to play that new GTA6 or Forza 8 in the years to come.  You talk about scaling.  Yea right now scaling isn't all that great and yes the game developers need to support it. But think of it in this way.  Wouldn't you rather be over prepared then not prepared at all.  In short it all comes down to what you do on your computer and price.  If your are a hardcore gamer and plays nothing but grahpic demanding games then why not SLI.  for the average user that only plays a game or two I don't see the need for it.  Me I play a lot of games lately on my pc.  so SLI for me sounds the way to go.  I'm also water cooling Two loops one for MB Vram and processor and the other loop for the cards.  I have plenty of room my case is Caselabs SMA8 so I won't have cooling problems plenty of room and more then enough room for rads.  I have been planning this build for months now.    For me right now It's taking almost every single cent of my free money to get these two cards in fact the whole computer is.  But when I'm done with it I know I won't have to build another computer for at least 5 years. This is why I am SLI my new rig. is it the right call I feel it is but who knows only time will tell.

SLI isn't really going to suit your purpose of future proofing.  I understand the desire and the thought process.  I currently have 3x AMD 295x cards driving a 4k and a 2k monitor.  The reality is that SLI is all but dead for anything other than benchmarks.  In the current environment top performing games are either targeted at the upper mid range (right now 1440x120hz) or for the current top end generation of cards.  Consumers are mostly to blame for this because we are willing to upgrade our graphics cards every couple of years.

The next leaps,  5k, 8k, HBM and 10nm dies are going to be generational leaps in advancement.  You throw HBM into an existing 1080 Ti architecture and overnight your SLI is outdated.  This is why developers don't bother with SLI anymore.  It made sense when the cycle time was 2-4 years between significant GPU advancements but now that we're seeing a year or less in between major releases it's just not relevant.

On the other hand 2x 1080 Ti is a perfect setup for a dual 4k monitor setup.  If you're running single monitor then your best bet is to just save the money on the second card and use it to buy the next generation as soon as it comes out, which at this rate will probably be by Xmas. ;)
ScarFaceSF
  • Total Posts : 36
Re: EVGA 1080 Ti with iCX 2017/04/03 15:58:47 (permalink)
Does anyone know if the LED on the "GeForce GTX 1080 Ti" on the SC2 is going to be just white, or changable to different colors, RGB? Kinda confused since the specs for both the SC2 and the FTW 3 show the same information regarding the LED capabilities of both cards.
RexManning
Re: EVGA 1080 Ti with iCX 2017/04/03 16:23:35 (permalink)
ScarFaceSF
Does anyone know if the LED on the "GeForce GTX 1080 Ti" on the SC2 is going to be just white, or changable to different colors, RGB? Kinda confused since the specs for both the SC2 and the FTW 3 show the same information regarding the LED capabilities of both cards.

If they both show the same capabilities why would you not think that they both have the same capabilities?  AFAIK the cooling module is the same between SC2 and FTW3 so I don't see why there would be any different specs LEDs and all.
ScarFaceSF
  • Total Posts : 36
Re: EVGA 1080 Ti with iCX 2017/04/03 16:32:56 (permalink)
Because i have heard contradicting things on some websites. Wasnt the FTW 3 also listed as 10.5 inches early on? I guess based on what your saying, i should always trust the specs. Just like how all the SC models in the past have had RGB right? Oh man im so sorry i should have known. Thank you for the response though i mean it, def gave me more confidence in knowing ill get the same type of LED system as the FTW3.
post edited by ScarFaceSF - 2017/04/03 16:36:47
ipkha
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: EVGA 1080 Ti with iCX 2017/04/03 17:30:08 (permalink)
The sensor Leds are rgb.
The FTW3 has rgb Leds on the shroud.
The SC2 only has white Leds for the shroud.

Edit: I was wrong - the SC2 has rgb for the logo lights as well.
post edited by ipkha - 2017/04/03 18:40:32

Page: << < ..3132333435.. > >> Showing page 32 of 43
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile