EVGA

980 TI Heating issues

Author
Roadwarriorsdp
  • Total Posts : 24
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/04/02 15:50:39 (permalink)
Without the fan curve, and without some Nvidia setting changes, my gpu was getting 60 Celsius at idle.

I changed my fan speed by using precision x and now it's around 36 Celsius but it was fishy to me that the card wouldn't automatically do this.

Does this sound about right or is my card defective?  I was having some problems as of late with my computer in general and decided to explore this issue as I was afraid a high gpu temperature might melt other components in my computer.

Please let me know your thoughts.
Thanks.

4 Replies Related Threads

arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: 980 TI Heating issues 2017/04/02 16:04:59 (permalink)
    Depends on the 980 Ti model - is it an ACX card? If so, the fans don't turn on until 60C by design - it's called 0 dB mode. If the card is an ACX dual VBIOS model, move the VBIOS switch over to the slave/secondary VBIOS to have the fan default to always run - a reboot is required.

Also if the GPU isn't downclocking due to a high Hz monitor, or multiple high Hz monitors, set them to 120Hz to have the GPU downclock.
    MDeckerM
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1799
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: 980 TI Heating issues 2017/04/02 18:31:14 (permalink)
    Roadwarriorsdp
    Without the fan curve, and without some Nvidia setting changes, my gpu was getting 60 Celsius at idle.

I changed my fan speed by using precision x and now it's around 36 Celsius but it was fishy to me that the card wouldn't automatically do this.

Does this sound about right or is my card defective?  I was having some problems as of late with my computer in general and decided to explore this issue as I was afraid a high gpu temperature might melt other components in my computer.

Thanks.

Hello,

I apologize for any confusion. On many 900 series card models, the fans do not turn on until the card exceeds 60 degrees Celsius. This is by design but can be overrode using a custom fan curve as you've said above.
    Roadwarriorsdp
    Re: 980 TI Heating issues 2017/04/03 12:12:33 (permalink)
    arestavo
    Depends on the 980 Ti model - is it an ACX card? If so, the fans don't turn on until 60C by design - it's called 0 dB mode. If the card is an ACX dual VBIOS model, move the VBIOS switch over to the slave/secondary VBIOS to have the fan default to always run - a reboot is required.

Also if the GPU isn't downclocking due to a high Hz monitor, or multiple high Hz monitors, set them to 120Hz to have the GPU downclock.

It is ACX...glad to hear it's not defective. Thanks.
    Roadwarriorsdp
    Re: 980 TI Heating issues 2017/04/03 12:13:33 (permalink)
    EVGATech_MDecker
    Roadwarriorsdp

Thanks.

Hello,

I apologize for any confusion. On many 900 series card models, the fans do not turn on until the card exceeds 60 degrees Celsius. This is by design but can be overrode using a custom fan curve as you've said above.

Thanks! Guess I don't have to send it back then. Good news.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile