EVGA

650 G5 Power Supply flashing green light and beeping, computer will not power on.

Author
BIg Oregano
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/07/07 19:28:43 (permalink)
Hello, I just purchased a 650 G5 Supernova PSU after my computer randomly shut off without warning and would not turn back on. I replaced my old 450BT PSU with this one as I thought the PSU was the issue. However, I am still hearing the same faint beeping coming from the PSU every 5 seconds, and now I see that the light on the back is flashing at the same time as the beep. Normally a light on my motherboard would turn on even if the computer was off but the PSU was on, but that light is no longer turning on. My questions are, A, what do the beeping and the flashing light mean on the PSU, B, is this a power supply problem or a motherboard problem, and C, is there a way to fix this problem without having to take advantage of the warranty or replace the motherboard or PSU.
My Build:
4TB Hard Drive, not sure of the make
MSI B350M PRO-VDH motherboard
650 G5 Supernova Power Supply
2x4GB Ballistix RAM
2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM
ASUS DUAL GTX 1060 O3G
Not Sure what model specifically, but an AMD Ryzen 5 CPU

Thanks a ton!

4 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: 650 G5 Power Supply flashing green light and beeping, computer will not power on. 2020/07/07 22:35:02 (permalink)
    The beeping isn't coming from the psu. The beeping is coming from the motherboard... https://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/bios-beep-codes your board uses ami bios.

The flashing on that psu is normal...

"A unique feature of the EVGA G5 Series is an EVGA “E” Logo LED located on the AC-inlet side of the power supply which adds an aurora and style to your build."

https://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/220-G5-0650-X1.pdf
    BIg Oregano
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: 650 G5 Power Supply flashing green light and beeping, computer will not power on. 2020/07/07 22:50:43 (permalink)
    Hi Sajin, thanks for the help. The beeping does not line up with any of those codes. It is repeating and doesn't stop. Plus, it seems like more than a coincidence that the beeping and the light are happening at the exact same time. The beep is very faint and I can only hear it when I put my ear close to the PSU. Is there any possible way that the PSU could be making that beep? And is the "E" even supposed to flash?

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: 650 G5 Power Supply flashing green light and beeping, computer will not power on. 2020/07/07 23:03:33 (permalink)
    BIg Oregano
    Hi Sajin, thanks for the help. The beeping does not line up with any of those codes. It is repeating and doesn't stop. Plus, it seems like more than a coincidence that the beeping and the light are happening at the exact same time. The beep is very faint and I can only hear it when I put my ear close to the PSU. Is there any possible way that the PSU could be making that beep? And is the "E" even supposed to flash?

No problem. No. Yes.
    bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: 650 G5 Power Supply flashing green light and beeping, computer will not power on. 2020/07/07 23:32:26 (permalink)
    Start by disconnecting all cables from all the components (not from the PSU) in your PC, then use the EVGA PSU testing tool (or Detection Tool, or whatever) to turn on just the PSU as described here in the EVGA FAQs (and in the manual) to see if it turns on OK all by itself..If it does not, take all the cables out of the PSU except for the 24-pin and try it..If it turns on OK then, there's a faulty cable, plug each one back in until you find it.

Connect the 24-pin motherboard and 8-pin CPU connectors back on the motherboard and try turning on your PC..Connect one cable at a time to each component and repeat until the problem occurs again to see which one is causing the problem.

SATA power cable mix-ups have happened in the past and that might be the problem, so you might wanna just disconnect the SATA power from your 4TB HDD first and try it..That's the first thing that came to mind here.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile