EVGA

Helpful ReplyHot!3090 FTW3 Ultra Thermal Pad and Paste Findings

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
vmiget
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Thermal Pad and Paste Findings 2022/02/03 15:45:03 (permalink)
can someone point to where the mosfets are? would like to know so i can put the proper mm thickness. kritical pads for ftw3 3090 are out of stock but their full pads are in stock. might have to buy a full pad of 1mm and 2mm. 

MilesHD
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Thermal Pad and Paste Findings 2022/02/14 03:32:58 (permalink)
Funktionieren diese Wohl ?
h**ps://kriticalpads.com/thermalpad-2.25

Habe mom nen Byksky Wasserkühler Montiert und würde die 3090 aber gerne als Luft Variante Verkaufen, welche Pads soll man jetzt nehmen gibt es da neue Erkenntnisse ?

Gruß MilesHD
post edited by MilesHD - 2022/02/14 03:36:10
LuxKeiwoker
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Thermal Pad and Paste Findings 2022/02/25 12:13:29 (permalink)
Just here to confirm, that the pad mod is an absolute pain to get right on this card. I do not recommend to do it at all, unless you are willing to take the card apart multiple times and are satisfied with one digit gains.

I used Alphacool Rise Pads (2 and 3 mm) on the VRAM and the VRMs as they are very soft and pliable, almost like dough. For the coils next to the VRMs I used EC360 soft pads (1mm). 

I don't see any improvement on the Memory Junction Temperature and only slight improvements on the temperatures of the ICX3 sensors.

I believe EVGA did a god job an the thermal pad selection and that the cooler design is simply not capable to deal with the additional heat of improved pads. I guess I'm going to invest into an Alphacool Eiswolf 2 AIO at some point.
wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5679
  • Ribbons : 40
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Thermal Pad and Paste Findings 2022/03/10 14:29:22 (permalink)
 Ok, im gonna put up what ive done with some very good results and give everyone some hope here. So i tore down my card and put the hybrid kit on recently, but i didnt change the pads that came inside the shroud, just the TIM for the gpu, which i used TF8 for and of course i cleaned the mem and gpu before hand. That all went fine with no problems. For the rear though i did some experimenting. I got a bag of copper shims, an assortment of 100, that all came in stacks of 10 different sizes and thickness' up to 2mm thick. I lined them up over the mems, 2mm thick ones, and the widths were good but they were a little long so i dremeled the extra off and sand/polished them. Then i put TF8 on the mems, just enough to cover them thinly and entirely.That way the TIM fills in the micro imperfections and then added the shims on top.Once they were all on i put strips of Fujipoly ultra extreme 17w/mk 0.5mm on top to mate the shims to the backplate with. Screwed the plate back on and it was perfect, even slightly tight id say with a very slight hump over the mems, but barely noticeable. It worked really good, way better than i thought it would.
 Thats only half the battle cause i still had to mount the rads, evga cpu AIO too. So in my case im a little limited for placements without a bunch of chopping, which i can do no problem but i really didnt want to tear this case up....yet. So i mounted the Noctua 3000 rpm industrials to the gpu rad and put that up front, hoses down, and this will be the one that draws the air in since the gpu doesnt run as hot as my cpu. CPU rad went behind the gpu rad with push/pull and EK Furious vardar EVO's 3000 rpms too, but the cpu hoses had to go up top or it wouldnt work. All these fans went to a proper fan controller, FC2, and got Phanteks Halo LUX RGB frames also....it was a wiring nightmare. So i ended up with maybe a 3/4" gap on both sides where they are mounted so i stuffed 1" soft foam in that gap to seal the air off from spilling out the sides and snugging up the rads.
 I know this has been quite a problem for alot of people but this little mod seems to have done the trick. So YES, there is hope. If you need any other info let me know and ill give it to you. I dont want to turn this into a book here! Good luck to those who try it....i think youll be really pleasantly surprised if you try it.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

New EVGA product? Register it NOW with this link:
http://www.evga.com/register/default.asp?affiliatecode=4QFQRAMOII
 Help Our Vets From K-2!
[link=https://strongholdfreedom
kirbyrj
  • Total Posts : 31
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Thermal Pad and Paste Findings 2022/03/13 08:33:33 (permalink)
Thanks for this thread.  I took apart my 3090FE with little to no difficulty and saw immediate gains.  Looks like this will not.

Also FWIW, I tried putting a fan and heatsink on the back of my card, and it still hits the same temps as it did without it.  I wonder if the hotter memory temps are not on the backplate side.
talon951
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1026
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Thermal Pad and Paste Findings 2022/03/13 08:58:46 (permalink)
kirbyrj
Thanks for this thread.  I took apart my 3090FE with little to no difficulty and saw immediate gains.  Looks like this will not.

Also FWIW, I tried putting a fan and heatsink on the back of my card, and it still hits the same temps as it did without it.  I wonder if the hotter memory temps are not on the backplate side.

Does the heatsink make good contact? I found with pads under my 3080ti backplate, it flexed enough that a single large heatsink didn't make enough contact to be effective. Only going to several small heatsinks saw any improvement.
kirbyrj
  • Total Posts : 31
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Thermal Pad and Paste Findings 2022/03/13 11:43:46 (permalink)
talon951
Does the heatsink make good contact? I found with pads under my 3080ti backplate, it flexed enough that a single large heatsink didn't make enough contact to be effective. Only going to several small heatsinks saw any improvement.

I believe it does because when I touch the heatsink it is hot to the touch.  I actually used an old AMD CPU heatsink on the back of my FE card after repadding it and it dropped the temps 5-10C.  I ordered something like this for the 3090FTW3.  And then I put a 120mm fan right on top of it, and it didn't change my temps at all.  If anything, maybe the fan spins a few percentage points slower?  
post edited by kirbyrj - 2022/03/13 11:45:38
wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Thermal Pad and Paste Findings 2022/03/14 05:34:34 (permalink)
My opinion on the whole pads thing, especially on the back of the cards, is that if you install the card in the mobo as normal all the heat is going to rise, so everything in the back gets cooked and needs proper dissipation. Then they have 2.5mm or slightly less thermal pads on the vram chips which will help but at that thickness is more suffocating. Take them out of the equation and replace them with copper/TIM/very thin pad and it changes the whole thing. Im not going to get into how good my number drop was cause everyone is going to get different results but if you do it right it will be worth it.

MOBO: EVGA x299 Dark, CPU: I9 10900X, RAM: Patriot Viper RGB 3600 32gb, SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, M2: Samsung 970 EVO+ 1TB, PSU: CoolerMaster M2 1500, CPU HSF: EVGA 240 CLC HSF~ P/P EK Furious Vardar, G-CARD:EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming w/Hybrid kit and Noctua IPPC 3000 P/P, CASE: LIAN-LI PC-V2010B w/ Window mod, OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit, MON: Alienware AW3821DW

Help Our Vets From K-2!
stang99x
  • Total Posts : 53
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Thermal Pad and Paste Findings 2022/03/15 17:33:26 (permalink)
I fought this early on in my build before I went full on nuts.  When I fired up the FTW3 Ultra and ran it the poor thing hit 105C in a matter of minutes on the VRAM.  Even the TRex miner program was screaming through red numbers.
I then went down this rabbit hole thinking the pads would actually do something.  In respect to mining, the results were irrelevant at best.  I learned very quickly that trying to maximize hash rate by OC'ing the card was a simple no go if you want the card to live more than a few months.  Instead of the estimated 120 m/h I run it with the GPU at -250 and leave the rest alone for 108 m/h on average.  After a short stint I decided water cooling was the next stop.  Ordered the EVGA hybrid kit.  Well that does nothing for the VRAM.  I then jumped into custom loops.  I got the Bykski backside cooler plate and put together a small loop.  This dropped temp's substantially.  From constantly near 100C to low 80's or high 70's.  After that I just added more cards and more loop and then a second rig.  Now I run four 3090's on two rigs in a Lian Li DK05 desk.  Temps are harder to control running to systems in one case for sure.  I'm back to low mid 80's on on one rig, and just high 70's on the other.  But good lord does this desk emanate heat. You could sit at the desk in the winter and not run your heat.  It's that hot.

Rewards Code! SQ5PAMKCXE
wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Thermal Pad and Paste Findings 2022/03/17 04:10:37 (permalink)
Luckily, my temps werent that bad when i first got my card. I wasnt mining either, just gaming on very high settings at 4k. I knew they were only going to get worse so the Hybrid kit was going on at some point. The backside of the card was a different deal. I searched and searched to see if anyone did it the way i was thinking of, and did eventually, and there wasnt anyone i could get results off of from that particular setup/mod. So i just did it myself and it made a big difference. Thankfully cause i was gonna spend the money and go full custom loop for both the gpu and cpu, which i really didnt want to get into. Lol, though i understand what you mean about the heat comin outta that thing and thank goodness i dont have that much cause the little that does come out is enough. Summer must be terrible for you if your trapped in a small room!

Help Our Vets From K-2!
stang99x
  • Total Posts : 53
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Thermal Pad and Paste Findings 2022/03/17 14:24:06 (permalink)
wmmills
Luckily, my temps weren't that bad when i first got my card. I wasn't mining either, just gaming on very high settings at 4k. I knew they were only going to get worse so the Hybrid kit was going on at some point. The backside of the card was a different deal. I searched and searched to see if anyone did it the way i was thinking of, and did eventually, and there wasnt anyone i could get results off of from that particular setup/mod. So i just did it myself and it made a big difference. Thankfully cause i was gonna spend the money and go full custom loop for both the gpu and cpu, which i really didnt want to get into. Lol, though i understand what you mean about the heat comin outta that thing and thank goodness i don't have that much cause the little that does come out is enough. Summer must be terrible for you if your trapped in a small room!

Well it's bad enough that I have decided I can't deal with it.  Within 5 minutes I have to wander off and find cooler air.  As much as I greatly prefer pusher fans to pullers, I'm reversing the whole setup.  The fans I started with simply can't move enough air at 1500rpm.  I got some replacements just 15 minutes ago (some idiot seller on amazon would only allow you to buy two boxes, so I had to buy 2 boxes to my house and 1 to my office which took a day longer even though it's only 3/4 of a mile from my house,,,,,,go figure)
Tonight the flow reverses.  My desk is next to a window so I may be working on something to vent outdoors.  It's that much heat.  And I'm in a huge vaulted ceiling room that is open to our kitchen so there's a massive airspace to work with.
The extent of my gaming these days is every so often I fire up Wow and remember how great it "used" to be before they let it go to ****.

Rewards Code! SQ5PAMKCXE
wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Thermal Pad and Paste Findings 2022/03/18 04:49:43 (permalink)
stang99x
wmmills
Luckily, my temps weren't that bad when i first got my card. I wasn't mining either, just gaming on very high settings at 4k. I knew they were only going to get worse so the Hybrid kit was going on at some point. The backside of the card was a different deal. I searched and searched to see if anyone did it the way i was thinking of, and did eventually, and there wasnt anyone i could get results off of from that particular setup/mod. So i just did it myself and it made a big difference. Thankfully cause i was gonna spend the money and go full custom loop for both the gpu and cpu, which i really didnt want to get into. Lol, though i understand what you mean about the heat comin outta that thing and thank goodness i don't have that much cause the little that does come out is enough. Summer must be terrible for you if your trapped in a small room!

Well it's bad enough that I have decided I can't deal with it.  Within 5 minutes I have to wander off and find cooler air.  As much as I greatly prefer pusher fans to pullers, I'm reversing the whole setup.  The fans I started with simply can't move enough air at 1500rpm.  I got some replacements just 15 minutes ago (some idiot seller on amazon would only allow you to buy two boxes, so I had to buy 2 boxes to my house and 1 to my office which took a day longer even though it's only 3/4 of a mile from my house,,,,,,go figure)
Tonight the flow reverses.  My desk is next to a window so I may be working on something to vent outdoors.  It's that much heat.  And I'm in a huge vaulted ceiling room that is open to our kitchen so there's a massive airspace to work with.
The extent of my gaming these days is every so often I fire up Wow and remember how great it "used" to be before they let it go to ****.

Lol, it sounds like you built yourself a torture room. It def sounds like you have some good ideas though, like venting the room air outside if possible. Yeah, i think most of us feel the same way about WoW anymore.... i left when Cataclysm first started.

Help Our Vets From K-2!
Papawes
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Thermal Pad and Paste Findings 2022/03/19 10:16:21 (permalink)
I recently changed my pads with ktiticalpads (precuts 20w/mk they claimed). However, after replacing all pads I actually see memory temp goes up 10-15c. I will say the oem pads are decent enough. Just not sure about those thermal putty. I also repasted gpu chip with noctua H1, the core temperature dropped 5C. Oem thermal paste seems too thin and dry
wmmills
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Thermal Pad and Paste Findings 2022/03/19 11:39:14 (permalink)
Papawes
I recently changed my pads with ktiticalpads (precuts 20w/mk they claimed). However, after replacing all pads I actually see memory temp goes up 10-15c. I will say the oem pads are decent enough. Just not sure about those thermal putty. I also repasted gpu chip with noctua H1, the core temperature dropped 5C. Oem thermal paste seems too thin and dry

Yeah, thats not a good sign if your temps are going up. Either the pads arent as good as claimed, the heatsink/plate isnt touching enough or with enough pressure to cool the vram or maybe not at all. Def take a look and check that cause if the heatsink isnt taking heat away then your just suffocating them with pads/putty on there. Im sure you dont want to take it apart and have to reapply but pastes and pads are cheap compared to your gpu price.

Help Our Vets From K-2!
RickJamesBish
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 580
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Thermal Pad and Paste Findings 2022/04/04 07:51:09 (permalink)
I am planning on do doing the copper plate mod to my 3090 FTW3 Ultra so while I am doing this I wanted upgrade the thermal pads since I will have to replace them anyway.
I plan on using Gelid Extreme for replacing the thermal pads on the backplate but not sure what thickness or how much to get. Can anyone advise?
post edited by RickJamesBish - 2022/04/04 07:55:26
VonZippySays
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Thermal Pad and Paste Findings 2022/04/08 17:11:12 (permalink)
I been looking into these guys because they have a really good 3080 tear down video and the have custom sets for each GPU model to include 3090FTW3

Youtube: JaNoOwwtd1A
kriticalpads
.com
/
evga-3090-ftw3

Also on the site they list the following specs, if anyone wants to cross check please do so:

EVGA 3090 FTW3
Thin (1mm) and wide (10mm) stripes go on the grey power modules where EVGA used thermal putty, on both sides of the GPU die.
Thick (2.6-2.8mm) and narrow stripes go on the mosfets, on both sides of the GPU die.
Thinner VRAM pads (2.25mm) go on the front side (i.e. die-side) of the PCB.
Thicker VRAM pads (2.5mm) are now black and go on the back side of the PCB.
post edited by VonZippySays - 2022/04/08 17:18:15
RickJamesBish
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 580
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Thermal Pad and Paste Findings 2022/04/13 16:50:14 (permalink)
EVGATech_LeeM

3090/3080 FTW3 Pads:

1pcs: 7.7mm x 6.5mm x 2.75mm
2pcs: 53mm x 14mm x 2.25mm
1pcs: 37.5mm x 14mm x 2.25mm
1pcs: 15mm x 12mm x 2.25mm
1pcs: 110mm x 5mm x 2.5mm

3090/3080 FTW3 BP Pads:

2pcs: 51mm x 12mm x 2mm
1pcs: 38mm x 12mm x 2mm
1pcs: 14mm x 10mm x 2mm

Ordering Gelid Extreme to replace pads on both sides of my 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming. According to the EVGA Tech that I quoted, those are the thicknesses needed, however most kits I see that come precut include 1mm pads, but I see none listed above. Did EVGA use something else for this?   Also, since Gelid does not have 2.25, should I go to 2.50.

post edited by RickJamesBish - 2022/04/13 17:54:30
PDXCustomPCs
  • Total Posts : 46
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Thermal Pad and Paste Findings 2022/07/19 06:39:14 (permalink)
This helped me a lot. Thank you!
gmzombie
So i am another lucky one who got in the 3090 pad club. Lol. Anyways after reading a bunch on this subject I decided to change pads. after trying a few different pads and getting worse temps I did this. I got the gelid extreme 2.5 pads, the putty that is recommended and used the putty on the memory pads first. Just a thin layer over all memory pads and then uses those 2.5mm gelid pads. I also used notura cpu paste on the gpu itself along with replacing the putty for pads in the vrm. But i also did a light cover of putty on them too. Used a 1mm over those and used a 2.0m and a 1.0m on the other thin pad. Got my temps in a decent warm room to 90c and i found if i put a cpu cooler with fan in the back side of card i can drop the temps another 8c to 12c. Amazing. Ive ordered a big heatsink for the back and have fans for that. Just wanted to share my journey with it. Oh my old readings were 96c in a room with the window open and a fan on it.

This helped me a lot. Used some putty on the pads and saw 10c drop. Ive taken the card apart a dozen times in the past year trying to perfect it. So hard to get the temps on these under control. Your advice helped.
Edit: im using Thermalright Extreme 2mm+0.5 and a thin layer of paste.
post edited by Elite0ne87 - 2022/07/19 06:42:48
AnonymousGuy
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 452
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Thermal Pad and Paste Findings 2022/08/17 17:56:24 (permalink)
Soooo it's not possible to mine on an aircooled 3090.  I measured everything out, had proper pad thickness (2.0mm is good for front and back) and verified via disasembly that everything was making good contact.  It doesn't matter, the vram on the back need active cooling that even a fan pointed at won't help.

You don't need 2.25mm pads.  The gap between the copper and the front vram is about 1.3mm based on the standoff height.  However you need to get above the metal gpu die package frame which is 2.5mm tall.  So the VRAM is 1.0mm high, so if you put 2.0mm pad on top you get 3.0mm total height, which is 0.5mm of compression then down to the GPU package.

I know 2.0mm is fine for the front VRAM because I do that on 3080Ti's without overheating and every GPU regardless of the AIB is going to have the same 2.5mm gpu die package.

If you're gaming and asking what pads to use in a repad job:
Inductors: 1.0mm
VRM: 2.5mm
VRAM front + back: 2.0mm
VRM back: 3.0mm

All of these visually made good contact with Gelid Extreme 12W/mK pads that are fairly squishy, and I calipered the heatsink and pcb to make sure I was hitting 20-30% compression ratios.  You need to warm up your pcb / pads a little bit (don't do it in a cold room), make sure to press them on with your thumb to squeeze out any air bubbles, etc.  Make sure they're cut fairly precise because there's some capacitors near the VRAM that you don't want getting pinched on a thermal pad.  This is basic stuff that should be standard on any GPU pad job.

IMO ignore the Kritical or Gelid Ultimate pads.  They're just so stiff that you're begging for trouble especially on a lot of 3000 series cards where they don't really use that many screws to clamp everything together.  On the 1000 series you would have 9 screws holding the heatsink down so you could get away with stiffer pads.
post edited by AnonymousGuy - 2022/08/17 18:07:15

Workstation:  12900KF @ 5.2Ghz || MSI Pro-A Z690 DDR4|| EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || G.Skill 3866 4x8GB || Corsair AX1200i || whole-house loop.
Mining Box: HP Prodesk G1 (Haswell 4590), 3x Gigabyte 3080Ti, AX1500i @ 240V.
LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.
Server Router (Untangle): 8350K @ 4.7Ghz || ASRock Z370 ITX || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 250W, running on AX1200i || whole-house loop.
Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA 3060 || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.
Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Int
imenno
  • Total Posts : 14
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Thermal Pad and Paste Findings 2022/08/18 19:21:52 (permalink)
I bought a 3090 ftw3 ultra. I bought it on ebay, the card got very hot when mining was started, the core was under 80C and the memory was 110C, they already tried to change and even replaced the backplate from Bulsky with a thicker one and installed mini radiators, but apparently everything was unsuccessfully matched and poor-quality gaskets, as much as 3mm was put on the back panels and that even the textolite is bent.

I had to sort it out myself. It turned out like this.

I used such thermal pads, they have non-standard sizes

front
back
I put thermal pads 1.5mm on the backplate

I put a needle aluminum radiator 122mm * 38mm cut to length 290mm (the weight of this radiator is 1.2kg). I tighten with nylon ties 5mm * 500mm, working temperature up to 80C.

I connect two 120mm * 120mm fans through the splitter through the side 4pin connector on the card.

WOW it happened. Turn on dual mining ETH+ and test.

ps. view large image, right click and open in new tab
post edited by imenno - 2022/08/18 20:42:58
GhostMotley
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Thermal Pad and Paste Findings 2022/08/21 12:54:07 (permalink)
imenno
I bought a 3090 ftw3 ultra. I bought it on ebay, the card got very hot when mining was started, the core was under 80C and the memory was 110C, they already tried to change and even replaced the backplate from Bulsky with a thicker one and installed mini radiators, but apparently everything was unsuccessfully matched and poor-quality gaskets, as much as 3mm was put on the back panels and that even the textolite is bent.

I had to sort it out myself. It turned out like this.

I used such thermal pads, they have non-standard sizes

front
back
I put thermal pads 1.5mm on the backplate

I put a needle aluminum radiator 122mm * 38mm cut to length 290mm (the weight of this radiator is 1.2kg). I tighten with nylon ties 5mm * 500mm, working temperature up to 80C.

I connect two 120mm * 120mm fans through the splitter through the side 4pin connector on the card.

WOW it happened. Turn on dual mining ETH+ and test.

ps. view large image, right click and open in new tab

Where did you get those 19.8W/mK 'sub zero prime' pads?
imenno
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Thermal Pad and Paste Findings 2022/08/21 15:03:58 (permalink)
GhostMotleyWhere did you get those 19.8W/mK 'sub zero prime' pads?

On aliexpress. I would recommend installing the plate through thermal paste, before insulating everything nearby with Kapton tape. And at the back, do the same with graphene gaskets 40W/mK. And also insulated next to a thermo-dielectric Kapton.

High Temperature Resistant 260C Heat BGA Kapton Polyimide Insulating Thermal Insulation Adhesive Tape

GPU RAM Copper Heat Sink For Radiator Memory 

12pcs 40W/m.k 3D Graphite Thermal Pad 3090/3080 Memory Thermal Grease Pad Graphics Card IC Cooling GDDR 6X VRAM Graphene Cooling
2.2mm

Above, it turned out well, but not enough. I have already ordered for myself and will try on other cards. And take a good thermal paste like mx-4
post edited by imenno - 2022/08/21 15:08:33
GhostMotley
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Thermal Pad and Paste Findings 2022/08/21 15:24:06 (permalink)
imenno
GhostMotleyWhere did you get those 19.8W/mK 'sub zero prime' pads?

On aliexpress. I would recommend installing the plate through thermal paste, before insulating everything nearby with Kapton tape. And at the back, do the same with graphene gaskets 40W/mK. And also insulated next to a thermo-dielectric Kapton.

High Temperature Resistant 260C Heat BGA Kapton Polyimide Insulating Thermal Insulation Adhesive Tape

GPU RAM Copper Heat Sink For Radiator Memory 

12pcs 40W/m.k 3D Graphite Thermal Pad 3090/3080 Memory Thermal Grease Pad Graphics Card IC Cooling GDDR 6X VRAM Graphene Cooling
2.2mm

Above, it turned out well, but not enough. I have already ordered for myself and will try on other cards. And take a good thermal paste like mx-4

Do you have a link to the AliExpress listing? I've searched sub zero thermal pads and can't find anything.

I've also tried out those 40W/mK graphite pads previously, 2.2mm works fine for the front side but for the back I'd get 2.6mm, the 2.2mm were a little thin and once those graphite pads compress, they don't decompress even a little and the EVGA backplate is quite flimsy.
imenno
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Thermal Pad and Paste Findings 2022/08/21 18:36:28 (permalink)
GhostMotley
Do you have a link to the AliExpress listing? I've searched sub zero thermal pads and can't find anything.

I've also tried out those 40W/mK graphite pads previously, 2.2mm works fine for the front side but for the back I'd get 2.6mm, the 2.2mm were a little thin and once those graphite pads compress, they don't decompress even a little and the EVGA backplate is quite flimsy.

Subzero they are new on the market and you will not find them on sale now. I recommend paying attention to zezzio 14.8/16.8 (this is a product from thermalright), they are little better than the odyssey and gelid, quite effective and not expensive.

Or pay attention to new thermal interfaces from manufacturers DOW CORNING TC-5888 (thixotropic (reducing viscosity under compression)) and LAIRD Tflex hd90000 pads. The product is not cheap, it is used in expensive servers. And the cards aren't cheap either.
LAIRD soft like dough, can be reused after opening, if it falls off, then just roll it into a ball and assemble the system again. If evga has dimensions for memory, the front is 2.25 and the back is 2.0. It is recommended to put these soft ones at 2.5

on graphics chip use graphite spacer or phase change paste PCM honeywell PTM7950
post edited by imenno - 2022/08/21 21:24:25
GhostMotley
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Thermal Pad and Paste Findings 2022/08/22 05:04:19 (permalink)
imenno
GhostMotley

Subzero they are new on the market and you will not find them on sale now. I recommend paying attention to zezzio 14.8/16.8 (this is a product from thermalright), they are little better than the odyssey and gelid, quite effective and not expensive.

Or pay attention to new thermal interfaces from manufacturers DOW CORNING TC-5888 (thixotropic (reducing viscosity under compression)) and LAIRD Tflex hd90000 pads. The product is not cheap, it is used in expensive servers. And the cards aren't cheap either.
LAIRD soft like dough, can be reused after opening, if it falls off, then just roll it into a ball and assemble the system again. If evga has dimensions for memory, the front is 2.25 and the back is 2.0. It is recommended to put these soft ones at 2.5

on graphics chip use graphite spacer or phase change paste PCM honeywell PTM7950

What is the hardness rating of these upcoming subzero pads?
imenno
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Thermal Pad and Paste Findings 2022/08/22 09:56:10 (permalink)
GhostMotleyWhat is the hardness rating of these upcoming subzero pads?

guyman70718
Re: 3090 FTW3 Ultra Thermal Pad and Paste Findings 2023/08/12 14:34:09 (permalink)
Thinking of repadding my 3090 ftw3 with gelid extreme but getting some conflicting info about the vram pads. I see here someone saying that 2mm is good for front and back, can anyone second that? I was thinking to get 120x40x2.5mm for all the vram, 120x20x3mm for the vrms, and 120x20x1mm for the coils?
Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile