3080 FTW3 aRGB header device limit?

Author
Lucas McCain
  • Total Posts : 5
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2020/10/26 09:03:15 (permalink)
Hello all,

I got my 3080 over the weekend, and I'm enjoying it immensely. I don't have an aRGB header on my motherboard, so I plugged the aRGB devices I have into the header on my card instead of the controller that came with my case. This works wonderfully, but makes me want to replace the last few fans I have that are not aRGB with some that are. However, I certainly don't want to overload this header and damage my card.

What is the limit for the number of devices I can have attached to the aRGB header on the card?

I currently have two case fans, as well as two LED strips that are daisy chained. I would like to add 3 more fans if possible.

This is my first foray into aRGB, so I'm still learning. Eventually, I'll get a new CPU/MOBO, and it should be less of an issue, I suppose. I'm just not ready to do so ATM. Thanks.
post edited by Lucas McCain - 2020/10/26 12:55:47

12 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: 3080 FTW3 aRGB header device limit? 2020/10/26 17:24:54 (permalink)
    Probably limited to two amps on that header. Best to contact evga to confirm though.
    Dabadger84
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3426
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: 3080 FTW3 aRGB header device limit? 2020/10/26 18:16:48 (permalink)
    Does the aRGB plug system even pull any power, I thought all the fan power comes from the power plug, and the aRGB cord is simple for telling things what to do in terms of lighting.  Could be wrong though, I'm still new at the whole RGB thing relatively speaking.
    I would definitely give eVGA Customer Support a call & verify it before you stick more things on it, just to be on the safe side.
    I just noticed the aRGB header on the card today & went "Oh neat" since I'm transitioning from Thermaltake controllers for most of my fans to some EK aRGB fans that use the 5V headers, as I'm getting a CPU open loop setup from them relatively soon.
    I would say, don't plug any fans in to the fan header itself on the GPU if you can avoid it, this counts against the power limit of the card as far as I know, and could result in lower than expected performance, if you're overclocking, it will thereby reduce your headroom... if you're running at stock, that should not be an issue though, as the card doesn't routinely tickle the Power Limit at stock.

ModRigs: https://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=42891  
    Specs:
    5950x @ 4.7GHz 1.3V - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero - eVGA 1200W P2 - 4x8GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal Silver @ 3800 CL14
    Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC w/ Core: 2850MHz @ 1000mV, Mem: +1500MHz - Samsung Odyssey G9 49" Super-Ultrawide 240Hz Monitor

Lucas McCain
    Re: 3080 FTW3 aRGB header device limit? 2020/10/27 09:19:07 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies. I took your advice and contacted support to be on the safe side.

As far as I can figure out, aRGB headers are 5V 3A connectors. The RGB portion of fans are usually about 0.2A-0.3A. Even with 7 devices connected, I should be maxing out at 2.1A. Electricity is definitely not something I know about, but it seems like I'd be okay? I'll wait until I hear back from support, but if necessary, I have now found some aRGB hubs that support 7 devices and are SATA powered, just using the header for control, not power.

This stuff is still confusing as all get out to me, but I feel like I'm making progress. Thanks again for your help, and I'll post here again when I get an answer from support.
    Lucas McCain
    Re: 3080 FTW3 aRGB header device limit? 2020/10/29 12:58:03 (permalink)
    Support got back to me and said it's just designed for one device. It might be able to support splitters, but they didn't test it for that. Seems like kind of an odd answer. I'm going to get a powered hub, just to be safe. That way I can just use the header for input, not power.
    bluegender7DoD
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: 3080 FTW3 aRGB header device limit? 2021/01/16 19:17:03 (permalink)
    so I have something to add to this, I came here after searching for the same information, I will say that while I can get one device working on that header, plugging my fan controller into the header does not seem to work at all. even with only one device plugged into the controller, I only get a few of the leds flickering very dimly. I'm not sure if it's the card or the controller that has the issue, I cannot fully test the controller as I also don't have any aRGB headers on my motherboard.
    Anonym_Bruker
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: 3080 FTW3 aRGB header device limit? 2021/09/06 10:33:26 (permalink)
    Lucas McCain
    Support got back to me and said it's just designed for one device. It might be able to support splitters, but they didn't test it for that. Seems like kind of an odd answer. I'm going to get a powered hub, just to be safe. That way I can just use the header for input, not power.

I now tried to power four daisy chained ARGB LED strips with 21 LEDS on each.
    It works very well up until the third strip. The last three LEDs on the strip will not light up, and the following connected strip is completely turned off.
    (And I tried to shift the LED strips around as I first thought it could be a defective strip, but the same happens regardless of the order I connect the strips)

So, it seems the RTX 3080 FTW3 cannot power more than 60 of my LEDs.
    Since my plan was to use all four LED strips, I will probably try to look for alternatives, i.e. this controller HUB: 
    (It has ARGB as input, so I guess it should fit my needs.)

post edited by Anonym_Bruker - 2021/09/06 11:19:58

Attached Image(s)

Anonym_Bruker
    Re: 3080 FTW3 aRGB header device limit? 2021/09/06 14:41:37 (permalink)
    To answer my own question:
    Yes, there seems to be a limit at 60 LEDs. Inside X1 you can set the number of LEDs, but 60 is max. Whenever I try to insert more than 60, it goes down to 60.
    So unless someone knows how to get around that limit, that will be the limit.
    So, my next question is:
    If I use a splitter will I then get two rows of lights with 42 LEDs, that light up in the same manner?
    (If so, that could work, and I only then need a splitter.)
    Anonym_Bruker
    Re: 3080 FTW3 aRGB header device limit? 2022/02/16 06:14:13 (permalink)
    Anyone tried to use the ARGB header on a FTW3 card with a (powered) controller?
    I now tried to plug it into a controller of the type "Dutzo", but that didn't work very well. 
    It can switch between being remote controlled, or take input from the 3pin RGB plug, but if I try the latter plugged into my FTW3 the led strips just flicker.
    The connected fans use the correct colour selected in X1.

When switching to using the remote control, both fans and led strips show correct colours.

When connecting a splitter to my FTW3 card, with one end to the LEDs and one to the controller, it gets better, only a slight flicker on one of the LEDs, but the flickering gets worse if I turn down the Brightness in X1.

Since the fans are working fine, incompatibility does not seem like the reason, and it seems my controller is maybe not a "powered" controller, just passing on the signal?

I consider buying the Corsair Commander PRO, but it would be nice if anyone has tested this already :)
    post edited by Anonym_Bruker - 2022/02/16 06:37:14
    Ciddharthas
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 465
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: 3080 FTW3 aRGB header device limit? 2022/02/16 08:29:55 (permalink)
    Keep in mind that most of the aRGB hubs out there are only capable of duplicating the signal sent to a single device (fan/strip/etc.), so you won't be able to control the individual devices separately.  I'd second Bruker's suggestion of using Corsair's strips with a commander pro xt.   The Commander Pro XT is the updated version of their older but still awesome commander pro, which is a box that controls fans and RGB lighting and also integrates temperature sensors if you want to.

Corsair's stuff all uses proprietary connectors though and not the standard aRGB connectors, so be aware of that.  The software you'd be using to control it all is iCue, which used to be pretty glitchy but has come a long way and works quite well now in my experience.

Incidentally, here is my pc.
    WARNING: RGB LEVELS NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART!!

https://ibb.co/7KYZxh5

Most of the RGB stuff in there is Corsair, with the exception of the AIO tube sleeves, the GPU support bracket, and the ATX/GPU power cables.  The smoky-looking stuff is just a reflection.
    post edited by Ciddharthas - 2022/02/16 08:57:38

CPU: i7 10700k @ 5.0 GHz with 360mm Corsair H150i Elite LCD cooler
    MB: MSI Z490 Meg Ace
    RAM: 64gb Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB @ 3466 MHz
    GPU: 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid
    Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i (1000 Watts)
    Primary Monitor: LG CX48 (4k OLED)
    Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB
    Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Elite RGB
    Headset: Arctis Pro Wireless
    Mic: Elgato Wave 3
    VR: Occulus Quest 2
    EVGA_Lee
    • Total Posts : 4247
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: 3080 FTW3 aRGB header device limit? 2022/02/16 09:21:54 (permalink)
    Officially, the RGB header on these cards supports 50 devices.
    Anonym_Bruker
    Re: 3080 FTW3 aRGB header device limit? 2022/02/18 03:13:37 (permalink)
    Ciddharthas
    Keep in mind that most of the aRGB hubs out there are only capable of duplicating the signal sent to a single device (fan/strip/etc.), so you won't be able to control the individual devices separately.  I'd second Bruker's suggestion of using Corsair's strips with a commander pro xt.   The Commander Pro XT is the updated version of their older but still awesome commander pro, which is a box that controls fans and RGB lighting and also integrates temperature sensors if you want to.

Corsair's stuff all uses proprietary connectors though and not the standard aRGB connectors, so be aware of that.  The software you'd be using to control it all is iCue, which used to be pretty glitchy but has come a long way and works quite well now in my experience.

Most of the RGB stuff in there is Corsair, with the exception of the AIO tube sleeves, the GPU support bracket, and the ATX/GPU power cables.  The smoky-looking stuff is just a reflection.

Thanks! Your PC looks great :)

Only drawback with the Corsair Commander is that it uses proprietary connectors, so I would need to buy extra cables, and even from China they cost some extra, so the total package would cost quite a lot.
    So for me, this would probably be a cheaper solution:

In addtion I am starting to get fed up with Corsair as my Corsair H100i is very buggy. :)
    DavidLpz
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: 3080 FTW3 aRGB header device limit? 2022/03/03 19:48:30 (permalink)
    Anonym_Bruker
    Ciddharthas

Thanks! Your PC looks great :)

Only drawback with the Corsair Commander is that it uses proprietary connectors, so I would need to buy extra cables, and even from China they cost some extra, so the total package would cost quite a lot.
    So for me, this would probably be a cheaper solution:

In addtion I am starting to get fed up with Corsair as my Corsair H100i is very buggy. :)

did you connect the evga aRGB header to Corsair commander ?
    post edited by DavidLpz - 2022/03/03 19:49:33
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile