class action against nvidia for the 970 owners

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 11
Author
Grey_Beard
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2233
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 10
Re: class action against nvidia for the 970 owners 2015/02/04 11:37:29 (permalink)
floorpizza
Fettle
Knew this will happen. People whining about how much a lawyer/firm will earn. Mind your own business?. If you are illiterate and jobless doesn't mean others should drop to your level and beg to live. What an absolutely disgusting way of living.

Humanity these days...

It isn't a matter of "mind your own business", it's a matter of "what's fair". Is it right that most class action lawsuits provide very little (and often pointless) compensation to the affected class, while the law firms (which never suffered from a potentially dangerous product, eg, cars going full throttle) make millions and millions? Class Action lawsuits should provide restitution for consumers affected by faulty and/or dangerous products; that's the very reason for the existence of class action suits. It should not leave consumers hanging on to a five dollar off coupon while lawyers make millions.

Personally, I would be happy to be able to return my 970 and receive a discount off of a 980. I think that would be fair, since all they did was misrepresent their product. It's not like it's going to go full throttle on the freeway and hurt someone.

The lawyers make a lot because they invest a lot into it. Without them you would not have the $20 for whatever the problem was. Do you understand the law well enough to bring your specific case forward? Why rage against the universe? Would not the fact they can never do this again be enough? Why not? Why must there be greed throughout? Why are you any different than the lawyers?

In your example, when you buy a 980 are you not further enriching the people that lied to you? The best solution is to vote with your wallet and not buy another Nvidia product again, if the action was truly that egregious.

In my opinion, this all seems like a money grab by all involved.

Grey_Beard
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2233
  • Ribbons : 10
Re: class action against nvidia for the 970 owners 2015/02/04 11:37:30 (permalink)
Duplicate post from the app. Can we sue them for that?
post edited by Grey_Beard - 2015/02/04 11:40:02

NordicJedi
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 12570
  • Ribbons : 77
Re: class action against nvidia for the 970 owners 2015/02/04 12:15:45 (permalink)
floorpizza
Fettle
Knew this will happen. People whining about how much a lawyer/firm will earn. Mind your own business?. If you are illiterate and jobless doesn't mean others should drop to your level and beg to live. What an absolutely disgusting way of living.

Humanity these days...

It isn't a matter of "mind your own business", it's a matter of "what's fair". Is it right that most class action lawsuits provide very little (and often pointless) compensation to the affected class, while the law firms (which never suffered from a potentially dangerous product, eg, cars going full throttle) make millions and millions? Class Action lawsuits should provide restitution for consumers affected by faulty and/or dangerous products; that's the very reason for the existence of class action suits. It should not leave consumers hanging on to a five dollar off coupon while lawyers make millions.

Personally, I would be happy to be able to return my 970 and receive a discount off of a 980. I think that would be fair, since all they did was misrepresent their product. It's not like it's going to go full throttle on the freeway and hurt someone.

Except, that's the nature of class action lawsuits.  Lawyers have to deal with thousands of claims by people who attest to being in the same situation, they have to spend many hours in court time even arguing to keep the case as a class action suit, and most of what they receive at the end is simply repayment for attorneys' fees.  The bar to get a class action suit to remain a class action suit seems to get more difficult every year, as federal courts tend not to favor granting class action status to cases.  Most of these cases end up as a settlement, anyway, with a large fund created to repay plaintiffs or claimants of a particular class, more money goes to the people actually named as representatives of the class, and other money goes to the attorneys to repay legal fees and its other reasonable fees for representing the class.

Any person is free to sue a company on his or her own, even if multiple cases are ongoing.  You can decline to be part of the class and pursue your own legal options (it requires an affirmative declaration to decline to be part of the class, if a class settlement is announced).  In this way, you can likely achieve a better financial reward, if that's a possible remedy for the cause of action.  However, it will be more costly in the short term, unless the attorney is working on a contingency basis.   But therein lies the reason most choose to simply join a class action settlement - it makes a lot more financial sense to allow other people to pay for the attorney fees and then just profit from their work, even if your reward ends up being significantly less.  

6012mhz on L/N2 
5321mhz on L/N2
5091mhz on air
The Lightsaber
The Emperor Reborn
chosin
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 139
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: class action against nvidia for the 970 owners 2015/02/04 12:25:30 (permalink)
Being new here im sorry but i must weigh in a little as being a official owner of affected 970 card. I recently stepped up to ftw+ from ftw. Hoping that the increase in power and cooling would help stuttering issues in some games. I for one bought the 970 actually 2 of them to be semi future proof. But when running 3dmark11 it caps out 3.505 gb\s but it does score high on P 15000 with the fan noise screaming . Performance not the issue the screen jumps to one frame to the next. slows down then returns to normal for little while are. If everyone is getting new cards will pretty much have these cards rendered trash, worth nothing. As i said i stepped up to FTW+. If you don't own these why comment on this you don't know. I still have one im waiting to send in. But on the flip side of this, I can stop testing PSU RAM CPU MOBO SSD hell even bluray drive. Uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, looking up bios mods. Because it is the hardware i was sold. If the new cards do it then what. I came over from the red camp for this bs. Just saying

2 Evga For The Waste+ 970 gtHEX'S
ASRock Fatal1ty X99X Killer
Creative Soundblaster Z PCI express soundcard- not installed right now
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4 2400
Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core
Samsung 840 pro OS
Crucial M100 512gb game drive
Razor Sabertooth Xbox controller
OS Win 8.1 64bit
floorpizza
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 161
Re: class action against nvidia for the 970 owners 2015/02/04 12:35:02 (permalink)
Grey_Beard
floorpizza
Fettle

Humanity these days...

The lawyers make a lot because they invest a lot into it. Without them you would not have the $20 for whatever the problem was. Do you understand the law well enough to bring your specific case forward? Why rage against the universe? Would not the fact they can never do this again be enough? Why not? Why must there be greed throughout? Why are you any different than the lawyers?

In your example, when you buy a 980 are you not further enriching the people that lied to you? The best solution is to vote with your wallet and not buy another Nvidia product again, if the action was truly that egregious.

Easy there, big fella. : ) I'm not raging against anyone, let alone the universe. Was my post truly toned in a matter that inflected I was, in fact, in a rage against the universe? If so, I truly apologize, as that was not my intent.

I also do not have a problem with any professional (lawyer, doctor, scientist, whatever) making an appropriate level of compensation for their work. What's appropriate? That question could be argued for the remainder of the lifetime of the universe I am raging against (; ) ) without either side coming to an agreement. However, when the compensation for legal fees pool of money outweighs the pool of money provided to the class members, something (at least, in my raging opinion) is wrong.

"In your example, when you buy a 980 are you not further enriching the people that lied to you?" Possibly, but if they are giving me a discount for their deception, are they not also being penalized?

"The best solution is to vote with your wallet and not buy another Nvidia product again, if the action was truly that egregious." Yup, and I don't believe I ever eluded to it being that egregious. In fact, I believe I said I would be happy with getting a refund on the card they misrepresented, and getting a discount off of one that they had not misrepresented. This isn't a foot-stomping, "Oh my God, let's burn the house down!" response; it's simply what (in my opinion) would be adequate compensation for their product misrepresentation. All companies make mistakes. This mistake (again, in my opinion) is relatively small. I'm not asking for them to take back the 970 and to burn in hell (or give me a free 980, either). I'm just asking to be able to return the card and receive a discount toward another of their products. Fair? In my opinion, yes.
post edited by floorpizza - 2015/02/04 12:37:31

MSI x570 MEG ACE
AMD 3900x
EVGA 2080 FTW
32g Micron E-Die
2, 1t Corsair PCI Gen IV NVMe in RAID 0
Various other SSD's and old school mechanical HD's for backup and other shenanigans
Corsair Obsidian 750D case

floorpizza
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 161
Re: class action against nvidia for the 970 owners 2015/02/04 12:59:59 (permalink)
NordicJedi
floorpizza
Fettle

Humanity these days...

Except, that's the nature of class action lawsuits.  Lawyers have to deal with thousands of claims by people who attest to being in the same situation, they have to spend many hours in court time even arguing to keep the case as a class action suit, and most of what they receive at the end is simply repayment for attorneys' fees.  The bar to get a class action suit to remain a class action suit seems to get more difficult every year, as federal courts tend not to favor granting class action status to cases.  Most of these cases end up as a settlement, anyway, with a large fund created to repay plaintiffs or claimants of a particular class, more money goes to the people actually named as representatives of the class, and other money goes to the attorneys to repay legal fees and its other reasonable fees for representing the class.

Any person is free to sue a company on his or her own, even if multiple cases are ongoing.  You can decline to be part of the class and pursue your own legal options (it requires an affirmative declaration to decline to be part of the class, if a class settlement is announced).  In this way, you can likely achieve a better financial reward, if that's a possible remedy for the cause of action.  However, it will be more costly in the short term, unless the attorney is working on a contingency basis.   But therein lies the reason most choose to simply join a class action settlement - it makes a lot more financial sense to allow other people to pay for the attorney fees and then just profit from their work, even if your reward ends up being significantly less.  

Fair point, and very informative.

I bought the 970 as I had planned to upgrade to a 4k monitor sometime this year, and felt the 970 would tide me over until the next generation of video cards (which would undoubtedly handle 4k much better than today's cards) became available. I understood at the time of purchase that I would not be getting nearly the performance of the 980 when I bought the 4k monitor, but I was OK with that. Well, until I learned that 4k performance will be one of the areas hit hard by the actual stats of the 970. If I had known that prior to my purchase, I would have ponied up the additional cash for the 980. That being the case, I would simply like to return the 970 for a full refund, and receive some sort of a discount toward a 980 (as long as this discount was footed by nVidia and not EVGA).

The fact that EVGA, in spite of this being an nVidia problem, has been allowing people to Step Up from 970's outside of their normal time frame is exactly why I buy EVGA products. nVidia could learn a lesson from their partner.

MSI x570 MEG ACE
AMD 3900x
EVGA 2080 FTW
32g Micron E-Die
2, 1t Corsair PCI Gen IV NVMe in RAID 0
Various other SSD's and old school mechanical HD's for backup and other shenanigans
Corsair Obsidian 750D case

Baltothewolf
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3762
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: class action against nvidia for the 970 owners 2015/02/04 14:03:27 (permalink)
TChittenden II
Baltothewolf

Yea but people spoke with their wallets on AC:U didn't they? I know at least 3 people that torrented the game instead of buying it due to all the problems the game was having.

That's not really how it is supposed to work either. If you're not happy with the quality of something you just don't buy it, that doesn't mean you steal it. By that mentality I'm justified in stealing a 2005-2013 GM whateveritwas that had problems with the ignition turning off mid-flyingdownthehighway, it was a buggy product and I'd be speaking with my wallet by just stealing it and driving it instead.

I wasn't trying to justify the torrenting, I'm just saying that the community spoke with their wallets.

My Laptop (GE63VR-7RF):
-7700HQ.
-16GB RAM.
-GTX 1070.
-128GB SSD.
-1X 1TB 7200 spinny drive.

DcCrow
  • Total Posts : 55
Re: class action against nvidia for the 970 owners 2015/02/04 14:25:39 (permalink)
chosin
Being new here im sorry but i must weigh in a little as being a official owner of affected 970 card. I recently stepped up to ftw+ from ftw. Hoping that the increase in power and cooling would help stuttering issues in some games. I for one bought the 970 actually 2 of them to be semi future proof. But when running 3dmark11 it caps out 3.505 gb\s but it does score high on P 15000 with the fan noise screaming . Performance not the issue the screen jumps to one frame to the next. slows down then returns to normal for little while are. If everyone is getting new cards will pretty much have these cards rendered trash, worth nothing. As i said i stepped up to FTW+. If you don't own these why comment on this you don't know. I still have one im waiting to send in. But on the flip side of this, I can stop testing PSU RAM CPU MOBO SSD hell even bluray drive. Uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, looking up bios mods. Because it is the hardware i was sold. If the new cards do it then what. I came over from the red camp for this bs. Just saying

I think I get what you are saying, but people dont necessarily need to have the card to voice a reasonable opinion.

Dont get me wrong, nvidia messed up big time, which is why im leaning on buying a 980 for 1080 3d vision.

Intel i5 3570k @ 4.4Ghz | ASRock z77 Extreme 6 | 16GB Corsair Vengence 1600 Mhz | Nvidia Ref. GTX 980Ti  | Cooler Master V8 | Antec HCG 750 | Seagate 2TB 7200 | Patriot Pyro 60GB SSD | Corsair Carbide 500R
BF3PRO
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3797
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: class action against nvidia for the 970 owners 2015/02/04 14:50:23 (permalink)
Grey_Beard
floorpizza
Fettle

Humanity these days...

I agree!!! I do believe that lawyers have to do a lot... Especially when preparing a case no matter how large or small... People just hate on people with more success...

My Affiliate Code: OEESSSDNZV

Turdunkin
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: class action against nvidia for the 970 owners 2015/02/04 20:27:00 (permalink)
they have to give us a refund but thats all they have to do false advertisement is false advertisement even if the card performs as intended 
Vlada011
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10257
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: class action against nvidia for the 970 owners 2015/02/04 20:46:45 (permalink)
Turdunkin
they have to give us a refund but thats all they have to do false advertisement is false advertisement even if the card performs as intended 

I would be more angry than anyone here, but I would sold my GTX970 for 300 and upgrade to GTX980.
It's not huge difference if NVIDIA refund you without shipping and etc and if you lose 20-30$ or euro.
Your cards work, they are not broken, you can sell them, bunch of people think only for performance, low power consumption and cold cards
and would rather pay little more for GTX970 than GTX960. That's chance for you... Some people have only 500-600W PSU, 1080p monitors and need performance, GTX970 no power for 2560x1440p, She is 1080p card for gaming without filters.
Soon for future games at least GTX980 will need for high texture because GPU power is important too. 
GTX970 is same as GTX780 with little more memory. Owners of GTX780Ti and GTX780Ti SLI are in worse position than you from memory side.
They have more GPU performance and less video memory, both and GTX780Ti single and SLI.

post edited by Vlada011 - 2015/02/04 20:51:11

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
http://www.evga.com
http://www.intel.com
http://www.nvidia.com
https://watercool.de
http://www.lian-li.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

mistermister
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5804
  • Ribbons : 13
Re: class action against nvidia for the 970 owners 2015/02/04 20:50:32 (permalink)
If/when we get VRAM stacking with DX12, Ill happily buy all of these unwanted "defective" 970s off your hands. At a steep discount of course. 

AMD 3700x / X-570 Aorus Ultra / RTX-3090 FTW3
BF3PRO
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: class action against nvidia for the 970 owners 2015/02/04 20:59:45 (permalink)
mistermister
If/when we get VRAM stacking with DX12, Ill happily buy all of these unwanted "defective" 970s off your hands. At a steep discount of course. 
Do they realize that if a full refund is ordered they'll have to send the cards back first? I'm in line behind you though on those cheap 970s that'll flood the market...

-ZS-Carpenter
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1547
Re: class action against nvidia for the 970 owners 2015/02/04 21:00:22 (permalink)
mistermister

Not sure what vram stacking your taking about but i'm at the front of the line for some deeply discounted open box/B stock 970s. I hope more people send back their horridly defective cards that they where lied to about before they bought them

Main rig: gaming/folding
Z68 FTW 2600k@4.2  980 Ti sc+
Dedicated folders
x79 Classy/4820k 3x 970
Q9550/780i 2x 770
chrisdglong
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7220
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: class action against nvidia for the 970 owners 2015/02/04 22:29:54 (permalink)
Check this out, this guy is a joke... Everyone knows that you need to shut down BF4 when changing settings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6k55epUBCE
chosin
Superclocked Member
Re: class action against nvidia for the 970 owners 2015/02/05 06:59:56 (permalink)
DcCrow
chosin

I think I get what you are saying, but people dont necessarily need to have the card to voice a reasonable opinion.

Dont get me wrong, nvidia messed up big time, which is why im leaning on buying a 980 for 1080 3d vision.

Its funny people are saying that it cant run 4k but in my nvidia experience panel it recommends me running 4k through the use of DSR. Sooooo if you box and specs says it supports DSR... IE 4k. Then all users should be able 9 our 10 times use it. Experience panel is Nvidia software it analyses your system optimized settings. If the settings are 4k then what. sry for quote

Samsung 840 pro OS
OS Win 8.1 64bit
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: class action against nvidia for the 970 owners 2015/02/05 07:06:01 (permalink)
chosin
Its funny people are saying that it cant run 4k but in my nvidia experience panel it recommends me running 4k through the use of DSR. Sooooo if you box and specs says it supports DSR... IE 4k. Then all users should be able 9 our 10 times use it. Experience panel is Nvidia software it analyses your system optimized settings. If the settings are 4k then what. sry for quote

GeForce Experience will also be kind enough to "optimize your games for you" but added a file that will cause issues in game. It is highly recommended to NOT install GeForce experience because of this.
TChittenden II
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 166
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: class action against nvidia for the 970 owners 2015/02/05 07:08:43 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
chosin

GeForce Experience will also be kind enough to "optimize your games for you" but added a file that will cause issues in game. It is highly recommended to NOT install GeForce experience because of this.

Do you have a link for that issue you mention? I've never heard of that, I thought GeForce Experience just edited the game settings files to optimize the games by setting the recommended in game settings. I've never had an issue running a game optimized by Geforce Experience
post edited by TChittenden II - 2015/02/05 07:11:53

==My System==
Case: Corsair CC800DW 
CPU: Intel Core I7-3930k @ 3.8GHz
Motherboard: EVGA X79 FTW
Graphics Card: 2 x EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 in SLI 
Memory: Corsair Dominator 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1866 9-10-9-27 
Boot Drive: Samsung 850 Pro 250GB SSD
Games Drive: 2 x 450GB SATAIII 10k RPM Velociraptor in RAID 0 
Power Supply: CORSAIR Professional Series RM-1000 

the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: class action against nvidia for the 970 owners 2015/02/05 07:25:14 (permalink)
I have installed GeForce experience, just for shadow play, and had games start acting up or crashing. Most notably, Arma 3 and CSGO would just close when I had never had an issue without it installed, and have had none since removing it.

I do not currently have a link, but I definitely won't install it again. I don't like having essentially bloat were on my computer.

Optimizing the settings of your card should be a task you take on since it takes a matter of seconds. Software can't get the setting correct when every single card can and usually will act different.
chosin
Superclocked Member
Re: class action against nvidia for the 970 owners 2015/02/05 08:02:06 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
I have installed GeForce experience, just for shadow play, and had games start acting up or crashing. Most notably, Arma 3 and CSGO would just close when I had never had an issue without it installed, and have had none since removing it.

I do not currently have a link, but I definitely won't install it again. I don't like having essentially bloat were on my computer.

Optimizing the settings of your card should be a task you take on since it takes a matter of seconds. Software can't get the setting correct when every single card can and usually will act different.

my system pass the specs so does yours. But i get crashes with Samsung magician software running. i use shadow play sometimes. Ive yet to find somewhere that says don't use it. Tech support at nvidia also claim that experience panel is based on my rig standards. That was my point, It says DSR 4k. Not everyone has time to go into game to look at every graphic setting and make a new profile under the control panel. And most dont have the knowledge to change it. Lot of people on here and other places are commenting on our 970 issues. We didn't get the performance that we paid for that's the bottom-line. Period end of story.
post edited by chosin - 2015/02/05 08:16:27

Samsung 840 pro OS
OS Win 8.1 64bit
schmak01
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 174
Re: class action against nvidia for the 970 owners 2015/02/05 08:11:01 (permalink)
I have been involved in MANY class action suits and am involved in this one as well.  It doesn't cost you anything as a consumer and it is one of the few ways you can voice your dissatisfaction with a vendor and it actually have an impact on their business.   Yes, nVidia falsely reported how the 970 works, it was not their intent to be dishonest if you believe them, it was a mistake from their PR department, but it is still a major issue, and if it was brought to light at release many people would not have bought the cards as they would not support 4k or surround gaming.  

Will you get a full refund for your card? A free upgrade to a 980? $100 back? No.  You'll get a portion of the settlement, and the average I have gotten back has been <$20 USD.  I have gotten from other CAS anywhere from $6.47 (Bank of America) to $123.17 (Citrix).  You do not participate in a CAS to get rich or your money back,  it won't happen.  You participate because it is the only real way to make companies responsible for their actions. 

I like my 970's and decided I won't trade up.  They do their job great and I have to push the crap out of them to even replicate this issue, but I was misinformed by the manufacturer o the specifications of the device when I purchased in September and they should be held accountable for that.

• CPU: 5900X / 3800XT
  • MB: Asus Strix X570-E / Asus TUF B550
  • RAM: 32 GB TridentZ 3200 CL14 (stock timings) / 64 GB Ripjaws 3600 cl 16
  • GPU: EVGA 3080TI Hybrid (converted from FTW 3 Ultra) /  EVGA 3080 Hybrid (converted from FTW 3 Ultra)
  • Storage: Sabrent 2 TB PCIe 4.0 SSD,WD SN750 1 TB PCIe 3.0 SSD / 2x 4TB WD RED Pro, 1x  Sabrent Rocket Pro 1TB,  4x Crucial MX500 2TB
  • Cooling: H115i Pro Platinum / Vetroo 360mm AIO
  • Case: Corsair 680X / Corsair 5000D Black

RiffyDivine
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 183
Re: class action against nvidia for the 970 owners 2015/02/05 10:30:12 (permalink)
schmak01
I have been involved in MANY class action suits and am involved in this one as well.  It doesn't cost you anything as a consumer and it is one of the few ways you can voice your dissatisfaction with a vendor and it actually have an impact on their business.   Yes, nVidia falsely reported how the 970 works, it was not their intent to be dishonest if you believe them, it was a mistake from their PR department, but it is still a major issue, and if it was brought to light at release many people would not have bought the cards as they would not support 4k or surround gaming.  

Will you get a full refund for your card? A free upgrade to a 980? $100 back? No.  You'll get a portion of the settlement, and the average I have gotten back has been <$20 USD.  I have gotten from other CAS anywhere from $6.47 (Bank of America) to $123.17 (Citrix).  You do not participate in a CAS to get rich or your money back,  it won't happen.  You participate because it is the only real way to make companies responsible for their actions. 

I like my 970's and decided I won't trade up.  They do their job great and I have to push the crap out of them to even replicate this issue, but I was misinformed by the manufacturer o the specifications of the device when I purchased in September and they should be held accountable for that.

Came here to share the same thing that on average all you get is a few bucks and a pat on the butt. Most of the time the settlement is done out of the courts anyway, it is a good way to make a point but in the end you are still out the cost of the card. I just don't see it going anywhere but I am not a lawyer so who knows. Anytime I've gotten involved with a CAS I find that it often wasn't even worth the trouble in the end because nothing changes.
TChittenden II
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 166
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: class action against nvidia for the 970 owners 2015/02/05 10:41:48 (permalink)
I just got back $10 from AT&T for the CAS they just settled out on, I haven't even cashed the checks yet. I'm sure AT&T is already doing something else shady. Will be interesting to see if this issue results in a CAS or if it just goes away.

==My System==
Case: Corsair CC800DW 
CPU: Intel Core I7-3930k @ 3.8GHz
Motherboard: EVGA X79 FTW
Graphics Card: 2 x EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 in SLI 
Memory: Corsair Dominator 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 1866 9-10-9-27 
Boot Drive: Samsung 850 Pro 250GB SSD
Games Drive: 2 x 450GB SATAIII 10k RPM Velociraptor in RAID 0 
Power Supply: CORSAIR Professional Series RM-1000 

BF3PRO
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: class action against nvidia for the 970 owners 2015/02/05 10:41:52 (permalink)
RiffyDivine
schmak01

Came here to share the same thing that on average all you get is a few bucks and a pat on the butt. Most of the time the settlement is done out of the courts anyway, it is a good way to make a point but in the end you are still out the cost of the card. I just don't see it going anywhere but I am not a lawyer so who knows. Anytime I've gotten involved with a CAS I find that it often wasn't even worth the trouble in the end because nothing changes.
So you realized they do nothing and the other guy is a mooch...

HeavyHemi
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 15665
  • Ribbons : 135
Re: class action against nvidia for the 970 owners 2015/02/05 10:42:25 (permalink)
schmak01

The GTX 970 was never marketed as supporting or suitable for 4K gaming.  They should not be held accountable for the mistaken impression(s) of users IMO.
That being said, it was a mistake on their part. However since the GPU performs exactly the same as it did prior to the incorrect specs being exposed, what exactly is the damage to the consumer?

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

BF3PRO
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: class action against nvidia for the 970 owners 2015/02/05 10:43:48 (permalink)
HeavyHemi
schmak01

The GTX 970 was never marketed as supporting or suitable for 4K gaming.  They should not be held accountable for the mistaken impression(s) of users IMO.
That being said, it was a mistake on their part. However since the GPU performs exactly the same as it did prior to the incorrect specs being exposed, what exactly is the damage to the consumer?
None the majority of people didn't even care until they heard "class action suit"...

schmak01
Superclocked Member
Re: class action against nvidia for the 970 owners 2015/02/05 10:55:06 (permalink)
BF3PRO
RiffyDivine
schmak01

That's the attitude that helps the companies and not the consumer.

So you order an 8 slice pizza (an analogy I used before), Pineapple and Canadian Bacon.  They deliver it on time, its nice, its hot and you open it up.  7 our of the 8 slices are fine.  That last slice though is wet, cold, stale and has a big ass anchovy on it. 

Sure its still 8 slices of pizza, but its not the 8 slices you ordered.  It doesn't matter if you were never going to eat that slice as you  normally only eat 3, then save 3 for lunch the next day, you ordered and entered a contract with the pizza place for eight slices of pineapple and Canadian bacon pizza and they did not deliver on their side of the contract. 

Its up to you if you want to call and have them refund the pizza or send you a new one with 8 slices that are all edible.  If you are fine with it, then so be it.  The other 7 slices might be the most delicious pizza you have ever had, but then you still have to look at that 8th slice, know its there, and if you ever got hungry enough to eat it, you could but suffer through the horrendous taste and probably massive IBS and indigestion. 

To make it simple, just because you might not ever eat that eighth slice doesn't make it OK for them to completely screw it up.  You paid for a whole pizza and didn't get what you ordered.  We all paid for 4 GB of fully functional VRAM, not an "*", not 512 that works sometimes, or runs poorly.  Its not how the card was advertised or promoted.  It is OK to be upset that you did not get what you were told even if you will never eat/use it and to hold that company accountable. 

• GPU: EVGA 3080TI Hybrid (converted from FTW 3 Ultra) /  EVGA 3080 Hybrid (converted from FTW 3 Ultra)
  • Storage: Sabrent 2 TB PCIe 4.0 SSD,WD SN750 1 TB PCIe 3.0 SSD / 2x 4TB WD RED Pro, 1x  Sabrent Rocket Pro 1TB,  4x Crucial MX500 2TB

zeroseoul
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 109
Re: class action against nvidia for the 970 owners 2015/02/05 10:58:46 (permalink)
TL:DR the entire thread, but how many consumers looked at the bandwidth specs and that became a deciding factor in purchasing the card?

Current Build:
CPU: Intel i7-8770k @ stock speeds
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z370-A
Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengence
GPU: GTX 970 FTW
Power Supply: EVGA Supernova 750G2
RiffyDivine
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 183
Re: class action against nvidia for the 970 owners 2015/02/05 11:06:34 (permalink)
schmak01
BF3PRO
RiffyDivine
schmak01

So you order an 8 slice pizza (an analogy I used before), Pineapple and Canadian Bacon.  They deliver it on time, its nice, its hot and you open it up.  7 our of the 8 slices are fine.  That last slice though is wet, cold, stale and has a big ass anchovy on it. 

Sure its still 8 slices of pizza, but its not the 8 slices you ordered.  It doesn't matter if you were never going to eat that slice as you  normally only eat 3, then save 3 for lunch the next day, you ordered and entered a contract with the pizza place for eight slices of pineapple and Canadian bacon pizza and they did not deliver on their side of the contract. 

Its up to you if you want to call and have them refund the pizza or send you a new one with 8 slices that are all edible.  If you are fine with it, then so be it.  The other 7 slices might be the most delicious pizza you have ever had, but then you still have to look at that 8th slice, know its there, and if you ever got hungry enough to eat it, you could but suffer through the horrendous taste and probably massive IBS and indigestion. 

To make it simple, just because you might not ever eat that eighth slice doesn't make it OK for them to completely screw it up.  You paid for a whole pizza and didn't get what you ordered.  We all paid for 4 GB of fully functional VRAM, not an "*", not 512 that works sometimes, or runs poorly.  Its not how the card was advertised or promoted.  It is OK to be upset that you did not get what you were told even if you will never eat/use it and to hold that company accountable. 

Yes but in this case it would have been just human error, **** happens. I am not going to go call up the place and yell over it I'd just order from somewhere else. It's a waste of my time to even call but that's me and my time has value and it's more then the cost of a pizza. In this case it's also why I bought the 980s, I paid more to make sure nothing would be disabled on the card so this kind of thing wouldn't effect me. It's not like this is the first card they ever did this with and it has been normal for the lower cards since the 500s I believe. I only agree with the fact that they should have said something sooner to the consumer as there is no way the tech team didn't see what the PA team was showing and go hey wait a minute that's not right. 
schmak01
Superclocked Member
Re: class action against nvidia for the 970 owners 2015/02/05 11:16:48 (permalink)
RiffyDivine
schmak01
BF3PRO
RiffyDivine
schmak01

Yes but in this case it would have been just human error, **** happens. I am not going to go call up the place and yell over it I'd just order from somewhere else. It's a waste of my time to even call but that's me and my time has value and it's more then the cost of a pizza. In this case it's also why I bought the 980s, I paid more to make sure nothing would be disabled on the card so this kind of thing wouldn't effect me. It's not like this is the first card they ever did this with and it has been normal for the lower cards since the 500s I believe. I only agree with the fact that they should have said something sooner to the consumer as there is no way the tech team didn't see what the PA team was showing and go hey wait a minute that's not right. 

I's your choice to do nothing.  Me, I'd take pictures of the pizza, put it on yelp, write reviews and ask for a refund of my pizza.  Something I have done before with a local BBQ joint which responded to me on yelp, adjusted their brisket descriptions on the menu and invited me back with a free meal.  Now I am a regular.  Kinda like EVGA, my first cards had bad fans, I called on a Saturday night, got someone in seconds and had RMA's in minutes. 

If nVidia comes out with a good software fix for this, then great, looks like they are looking into it.  Would they have done anything if everyone just accepted it and moved on? I highly doubt it.   Just don't chastise people who are upset they did not get what they paid for and decided to do something about it. 

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 11
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile