And that's the end of it!

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 21
Author
Baltothewolf
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3762
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/14 16:34:34 (permalink)
Cool GTX
RushXTC
Called them twice today, Left messages to the lady handling the case, No answer and no call back.

Why? Probably to avoid doing any other work today, Since they get the long weekend off. -_-

Now I gotta wait until Tuesday..

You have an uphill battle: The insurance fraud department will probably be involved; to go over your claim very carefully.

1) You failed to get a police report, with a large amount of property damage. (what does your State Law require?)
2) You failed to notify your insurer; before the accident to add this car?  (Terms of your policy / State Law grace period?)
3) Most policies have exclusions if you are violating the law and are involved in a claim; gives the insurer a big out.

I know insurance company underwriters and insurance companies are always looking out for any unusual claims.
Really does not even matter if you are hiding anything or not; from their point of view it seems fishy.
I hope the other driver and any witnesses are willing to support your claim.  Maybe photos of situation before cars were moved?

In my State, the Insurance Commissioner's office is a great resource. 

That is were I learn that the value of the car is determined by the price it sells for at dealerships in my state.  Years ago I ended up in arbitration and got much more than the insurance company's offer to settle. (State - Worst, I mean F**m) It took weeks to get the hearing and then the ruling.

Good luck on a quick settlement, do your homework and buckle in for a bumpy ride.

If the damage is over 3,000 then you are required by law (at least in Cali) to call the police and have a police report filed. RushXTC, I'm fairly sure they can deny your claim for that alone

My Laptop (GE63VR-7RF):
-7700HQ.
-16GB RAM.
-GTX 1070.
-128GB SSD.
-1X 1TB 7200 spinny drive.

evilmustang66
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1598
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/14 20:04:36 (permalink)
be safe and good luck hope everything get back on track

http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=81289  

z97 evga z97 classy 32gb ddr3 corsair evga g2 1300 psu 1tb ssd etc x2 titan x 3sli with 980 hybrid coolers lian li pc desk

davestune
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 464
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/15 13:52:51 (permalink)
its a ford who cares

Intel 965                 Intel 520 X2   Raid 0   
X58 Classic 3           Lian Li case
Gskill ripjaws DDR3  9 9 9 24
GTX 680  X2  SLI

900D , X99 Classified, 5930k, 2x 860evo 2 TB ssd   2800 Corsair Platinum, duel loop 480's AX1200I  , EVGA RTX 2080 Super ,  EK waterblock
 gaming at 4.6 OC
kaninja
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8755
  • Ribbons : 25
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/15 13:59:35 (permalink)
davestune
its a ford who cares

You do.

Corsair 650D   -  i5 3570K @ 4.6GHz  -  Corsair H80i  -  MSI Z77 M-Power  -  16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum
WD 1TB Caviar Black x2  -  OCZ 120GB Vertex2 SSD  -  Corsair HX620  -  GTX285 SSC  -  Samsung T240  -  DIR-655

BF3PRO
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3797
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/15 16:47:24 (permalink)
kaninja
davestune
its a ford who cares

You do.
enough to comment too....

My Affiliate Code: OEESSSDNZV

Squall_Rinoa86
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1735
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/15 20:18:08 (permalink)
OUCH!.... See.. that right there is one of the reasons WHY I buy Subaru. They can stop on a dime with there 4 Disc breaks... and the fact if someone cut me off I know if i'm going 40MPH I can stop pretty much in under 3 car lengths. I never follow to close behind even at a red light, always give myself about half a car length to escape if needed and always keep a safe distance.

My car is great, others may not be. Ford is the last thing i'd personally would put my life on the line for... or be within.

Hope that gets settled and you learn a great deal from this to never repeat it. I've personally had some close calls.. to many to count but a few of them i'll put here.

9PM, Driving to the Mall I had a White utility van cross into my lane as I was waiting for a red light. He wasn't even paying attention and crossed into my lane. Luckily no one was in the lane next to me and when I seen he was moving over.. I got out of the way.

Distracted drive in a small blue car, apparently didn't notice my Silver Subaru next to him he decided he was going to turn and nearly traded paint with me. Not to sure HOW he didn't notice I was legit beside him doing 45MPH. I seen he was getting closer to my passenger side and took the shoulder then laid on the horn.

And lastly.. Dusk driving some chick pulled out and kept going into the right lane than without skipping a beat OR turn signal, proceeded to cut me off on the left lane.. I exited near the shoulder AND the I-beam separating head on traffic and she realized OH **** there's a car there after all.. cut back into the left lane than pulled in behind me.

It is true.. Act like everyone on the road cannot drive.

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
My Affiliate Code: AN1FW0VMG6
kaninja
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/15 20:31:39 (permalink)
Your stopping distance @ 40 Mph is NOT under 3 car lengths.

Corsair 650D   -  i5 3570K @ 4.6GHz  -  Corsair H80i  -  MSI Z77 M-Power  -  16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum
WD 1TB Caviar Black x2  -  OCZ 120GB Vertex2 SSD  -  Corsair HX620  -  GTX285 SSC  -  Samsung T240  -  DIR-655

Squall_Rinoa86
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1735
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/15 20:39:46 (permalink)
kaninja

Put it this way.. I can stop within the 10 seconds or so you get from when the light suddenly goes yellow.. doing 55MPH and Stopping BEFORE the white line. That's about 3 car lengths or so. Personal Experience with my 05 Legacy GT in Sport Mode.

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
My Affiliate Code: AN1FW0VMG6
Brad_Hawthorne
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 23174
  • Ribbons : 39
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/15 21:49:29 (permalink)
Found some more pics of the accident. I hope these help a bit.

http://jalopnik.com/oscar...t-with-pole-1686016734
Baltothewolf
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/15 21:51:20 (permalink)
Brad_Hawthorne
Found some more pics of the accident. I hope these help a bit.

http://jalopnik.com/oscar...t-with-pole-1686016734

My Laptop (GE63VR-7RF):
-7700HQ.
-16GB RAM.
-GTX 1070.
-128GB SSD.

kaninja
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/15 22:05:45 (permalink)
Squall_Rinoa86
kaninja

Put it this way.. I can stop within the 10 seconds or so you get from when the light suddenly goes yellow.. doing 55MPH and Stopping BEFORE the white line. That's about 3 car lengths or so. Personal Experience with my 05 Legacy GT in Sport Mode.

Ok, for clarifications sake, you are saying your car stops in about 50 feet from 55Mph?

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31005
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/15 22:28:35 (permalink)
kaninja

I believe  40 MPH = 58 feet a second.  (Do you have a tail hook on that thing)  Serious Gs going on maybe  -2G to stop that fast.

Nice car; I hope the guy behind you is paying attention.  Good points about surviving other drivers - Defensive driving 101.

When on my Motorcycle; I practice the  "Four rules of survival on a motorcycle"

1) Everyone with a steering wheel is a homicidal maniac

2) You are invisible

3) Everyone with a steering wheel is out to get you.

4) Just because their head is turned toward you does not mean they see you.

post edited by Cool GTX - 2015/02/17 15:43:40

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Holo
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3328
  • Ribbons : 4
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/16 06:43:58 (permalink)
Squall_Rinoa86
kaninja

You are truly oblivious if you believe you stop that fast. Even from 70-0 the world's best cars stop in the 90-105ft range, and that is with professional drivers behind the wheel. I sincerely doubt an average Joe like yourself in a 10 year old car with 2 pot brakes all the way around (if even 2 piston) is enough to stop in 3 car lengths which is about 20 ft per length, so 60 ft, that you would stop faster than Z06 vette, or anything else with good brakes.

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 25794
  • Ribbons : 110
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/16 07:17:32 (permalink)
Baltothewolf

If the damage is over 3,000 then you are required by law (at least in Cali) to call the police and have a police report filed. RushXTC, I'm fairly sure they can deny your claim for that alone

Are you certain this is the case? I wonder if there is more to is. For example...

In many States, if a non-injury accident happens in a parking lot, police will not come to make a report because it is private property. And today $3k in damage is pretty easy.

Additionally, Insurance is an "Option" for claims. No law states you "Must" report every loss. In fact most insurance companies want you to self insure for as much as you are willing to pay on your own. They slam you with loss of discounts and surcharges if you do decide to make a claim.

Now, if the others you cause harm to call and file a claim, that is what insurance is for. But if one wants to fix their own car, so be it.

And the last I heard in California, you have 365 days to report some types of losses, and three years on others. But that could be old info I have in my mind! 

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/16 07:19:31 (permalink)
Squall_Rinoa86
going 40MPH I can stop pretty much in under 3 car lengths.

Um... No... http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2011/april/cars/best-and-worst/breaking-distance/index.htm 

JGLuxe
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7192
  • Ribbons : 17
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/16 07:32:49 (permalink)
Afterburner
Baltothewolf

Are you certain this is the case? I wonder if there is more to is. For example...

In many States, if a non-injury accident happens in a parking lot, police will not come to make a report because it is private property. And today $3k in damage is pretty easy.

Additionally, Insurance is an "Option" for claims. No law states you "Must" report every loss. In fact most insurance companies want you to self insure for as much as you are willing to pay on your own. They slam you with loss of discounts and surcharges if you do decide to make a claim.

Now, if the others you cause harm to call and file a claim, that is what insurance is for. But if one wants to fix their own car, so be it.

And the last I heard in California, you have 365 days to report some types of losses, and three years on others. But that could be old info I have in my mind! 

Yeah, I very much doubt what Balto said.

Just the hood is $1,800 and the 1 headlight that was damaged is another $700 and that's not even half the stuff that needs repairs... So you're right, $3,000 is easy to get in damages. I've seen a lot of accidents have claims without police reports, where the car is drive-able, But with extensive damage. IF there was a law like that, That would screw a lot of people over, So I doubt it.

i9-12900ks @ | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA

Baltothewolf
CLASSIFIED Member
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/16 07:35:15 (permalink)
RushXTC
Afterburner
Baltothewolf

Yeah, I very much doubt what Balto said.

Just the hood is $1,800 and the 1 headlight that was damaged is another $700 and that's not even half the stuff that needs repairs... So you're right, $3,000 is easy to get in damages. I've seen a lot of accidents have claims without police reports, where the car is drive-able, But with extensive damage. IF there was a law like that, That would screw a lot of people over, So I doubt it.

I could have sworn I read that when I was doing research back when I got in my accident. I could be wrong though. If I am I'll happily admit it.

Ah, here we are.

In California, the driver of a vehicle that was involved in a traffic accident must report the crash:

A. If the accident resulted in injury to, or the death of, any person (such as another driver, a passenger, or a pedestrian).

B. If the accident resulted in any property damage (whether vehicle damage or damage to real property).

Failure to report a reportable car accident in California is a misdemeanor punishable by up to six months imprisonment, or by a fine of up to $1,000, or both.
post edited by Baltothewolf - 2015/02/16 07:41:06

My Laptop (GE63VR-7RF):
-7700HQ.
-16GB RAM.
-GTX 1070.
-128GB SSD.

JGLuxe
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/16 07:45:28 (permalink)
That's not what you're talking about though lol, That's talking about stuff like a hit and run.

You're supposed to report an accident if you damaged property or if you injured someone, That is of course unless you take responsibility and pay for everything without a report... and that has nothing to do with insurance claims.

The only reason they would require a police report, Is if the story seems fishy and you're making some bogus claims or there's no other driver. The guy I hit told me he's cool with what happened and will give his side of the story if the insurance needs it. I already gave them his information, But told them we repaired his car already.

"While it is not always required to file a police report to make an auto insurance claim, there are some cases in which it may be necessary. This includes a situation in which the other driver flees the scene. It is a crime to flee the scene of a car accident. If the other driver flees the scene and you do not file a police report, the insurance company may question your story."

Punchy
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2969
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/16 07:48:26 (permalink)
Afterburner
Baltothewolf

While it doesn't appear to require a police report, California form SR-1 does require accidents to be reported within 10 days if there was an injury, death or property damage in excess of $750.  "Untimely reporting could result in DMV suspending a driver license".  So, if the insurance companies weren't involved, you might get away with not filing the form, but now that the insurance wheels are in motion, this could be a problem.

JGLuxe
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/16 08:00:35 (permalink)
Why would that be a problem? It was my own property that was damaged, Nothing else is being filed.

That's like punching myself and pressing charges for assault on myself...

Punchy
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2969
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/16 10:49:27 (permalink)
RushXTC
Why would that be a problem? It was my own property that was damaged, Nothing else is being filed.

That's like punching myself and pressing charges for assault on myself...

You ran into yourself?

You did say you were trying to file an insurance claim, right? Here's how things could play out:

Insurance company: We can't process your claim unless an SR-1 has been filed.
Scenario A:
 You don't file an SR-1.
 Insurance company: No soup for you!
Scenario B:
 You do file an SR-1.
 DMV: Based on late filing and previous driving record- no license for you!

To be clear, I have no idea if this is what might happen, but given that insurance companies want to avoid payouts, they may look for any excuse they can find not to.

JGLuxe
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/16 11:03:33 (permalink)
I see what you mean.

I'll leave that for my future self to deal with the headache...

Honestly, Right now I can't handle a point on my license. If I get screwed a year from now, I'll deal with it then.

I don't feel like losing my license right now.

If they don't want to cover me without filing an SR-1 I'll fix the car out of pocket.
post edited by RushXTC - 2015/02/16 11:11:22

mistermister
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5804
  • Ribbons : 13
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/16 12:43:34 (permalink)
RushXTC

This may not be a bad thing IMO. Like a forum ban, sometimes a forced vacation is a necessity.
post edited by mistermister - 2015/02/16 12:45:41

AMD 3700x / X-570 Aorus Ultra / RTX-3090 FTW3
srtie4k
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1589
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/16 13:20:29 (permalink)
Piece of advice Rush...go back to playing with PC's. Playing Race Car Driver obviously isn't your forte!

Gaming Rig:
Corsair Vegeance C70, Swiftech H220, Intel i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz (1.24V), Asus Sabertooth Z77, Corsair AX860, 16GB Corsair Vegeance DDR3-1600 CL9 1.35V, EVGA GTX 670 FTW, SanDisk Extreme 240GB SSD, Dell 2408WFP, Corsair K70 Cherry Red, Corsair M65, Logitech Z-5500 5.1
Steambox/HTPC:
Lian Li PC-Q01A, AMD A10-7800, ASRock FM2A88X-ITX, Seasonic ST30SF, 8GB Samsung DDR3-1600 @ 1866, Samsung 840 Evo 250GB MSATA SSD

Affiliate Code: KKDMX98FNV
Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/16 14:53:24 (permalink)
Baltothewolf
Afterburner
Baltothewolf

I could have sworn I read that when I was doing research back when I got in my accident. I could be wrong though. If I am I'll happily admit it.

Ah, here we are.

In California, the driver of a vehicle that was involved in a traffic accident must report the crash:

A. If the accident resulted in injury to, or the death of, any person (such as another driver, a passenger, or a pedestrian).

B. If the accident resulted in any property damage (whether vehicle damage or damage to real property).

Failure to report a reportable car accident in California is a misdemeanor punishable by up to six months imprisonment, or by a fine of up to $1,000, or both.

Yep, found it, you are correct. Even on private property... https://dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/connect/18eb2422-e5ea-4b88-9322-c0f8330862f9/sr1.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&amp;CONVERT_TO=url&amp;CACHEID=18eb2422-e5ea-4b88-9322-c0f8330862f9 

Wow, what a racket! No wonder why so many are moving from Cali, businesses included. Are they charging the insects in that State for adding to global warming yet? 

JGLuxe
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/16 16:14:18 (permalink)
mistermister
RushXTC

This may not be a bad thing IMO. Like a forum ban, sometimes a forced vacation is a necessity.

I'm sure you'd benefit a lot from having me lose my license and banned from the forum. /sarcasm

mistermister
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5804
  • Ribbons : 13
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/16 16:41:45 (permalink)
That wasn't my point, but your reaction is telling.

AMD 3700x / X-570 Aorus Ultra / RTX-3090 FTW3
JGLuxe
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/16 16:48:24 (permalink)
mistermister
That wasn't my point, but your reaction is telling.

Well, All I know is I would NEVER wish anyone to lose their license.

I don't know why srtie4k mentioned "Race car driver" like if I was racing.

kaninja
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/16 17:45:28 (permalink)
RushXTC

I would. There are a lot of terrible drivers that are a fatal car accident just waiting to happen. My Aunt was ultimately killed and my Uncle forever disabled by someone with a terrible driving record and a history (7) car accidents.

JGLuxe
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/16 18:42:57 (permalink)
kaninja
RushXTC

I would. There are a lot of terrible drivers that are a fatal car accident just waiting to happen. My Aunt was ultimately killed and my Uncle forever disabled by someone with a terrible driving record and a history (7) car accidents.

Okay, That's different though. I've been driving for 6 years and this is my first accident, I know there's people that go their whole lives without an accident, But like I'm a very defensive driver, I just didn't anticipate it with this one, Because I hadn't owned it for too long (2 weeks?) and didn't know how it'd react.

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 21
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile