And that's the end of it!

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 21
Author
MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 14686
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 38
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/05 22:00:08 (permalink)
If they end up saying it's totaled. Ask them how much it would be to buy the car back.
Violence.
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1913
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/06 02:59:15 (permalink)
Thats not totalled. just needs front end body panels. I would bet money the sheet metal behind the fender ect is still fine. 
BF3PRO
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3797
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/06 03:37:15 (permalink)
Afterburner
BF3PRO
Afterburner
HAZMAN_THE_GREAT

But anyways I assume the insurance company should give you at least a 3/8 for how much your cars worth if they declare it totaled Rush. Well that also depends what insurance agency you have.

False. Might be a good idea to actually know how insurance works before offering thoughts with zero accuracy. 
My insurance paid my car off and then gave me some extra a few weeks back after I was hit by drunk driver... I'm assuming when it's totaled they give you the value right?

OK...

Great question, multiple "Partial truth" answers. Here is how I suggest folks better understand how this really works...
  1. Go to NADA.com and enter the exact mileage and specs to your vehicle.
    1. Take from the last page "Average Trade-In" priced without options total. As an example, a $34k invoiced 2014 Mustang GT with 1500 miles on it, Clean used retail is $29,450 with an AVG Trade in of $25,650. The car in trade, not counting delivery fees, taxes ETC, has already LOST $9000 in value VS. brand new pricing. SO in this example... $25,650 is the price we are taking from that page.
  2. Search Carfax and Auto trader in no more than 100 miles from your home address. Search for the exact same model, color, features and mileage. And note the average "Asking"price.
    1. Say that number is $28,000.
  3. Now if their has been any major repairs that you paid for (Not covered by a warranty) in the last year, gather up those receipts. Not "Add-ons" like rims and stereos. 
    1. Say that is $1000. You will only get from the Insurance Company, about 40% of that total you can prove in the last 365 days.

Now add the "Avg" trade and the "Avg" asking price and add in 40% of the repair cost and you get $54,050. Divide that by two and you get $27,025.

And in "Most" cases, that is the best you will get for our example on a total loss for that vehicle. Do some companies pay $30k? Absolutely. But they will NOT pay the $34k or $39k as explained below. Not unless you "Pay" your insurance company for the "Replacement" insurance that many offer now for two model year or newer cars. Heck even Travelers has Six years they are offering now in many States. But you have to "Pay" for it. It is not free.

You see, insurance companies do not even use the examples I just offered you. They pay for a service that tells them how much the actual true value is with any property. They find out what the "Wrecked" vehicle will net them at the junk yard auction. Then they try and squeeze you for any $ they can. They offer this magical CFO type price and hope you take it.

They want to tire you out and work on your will to fight.

Now. Each State has different laws and rules. In most, they are required to pay you "Fair market value". And the brief explanation I outlined above helps you the consumer fight back. And get that $27,025 number closer to $30k. Because let us all be honest for a moment. What is "Fair" in one persons mind, is not in another. Correct?! And that is the problem. 

And this is why, every new car financed needs GAP insurance. Because if it is totaled, who cares if the Insurance Company tries to low ball you. The GAP insurance will come in and make up the difference (Within reason) and pay off the loan.

You would be "Shocked" how many Americans have traded in a car owning $5k-$10k after trade, that they roll into the new car. Even after all the "Fake" magical rebates car manufactures offer today to sell cars, many still have about half of the old cars cost rolled into their new financing. 

So using this same example... A $34k "Invoice" pricing, no tax, no prep, no second sticker ETC... Is financing $39k. And Clean "Used' Retail is $29,450 on a car with 1500 miles on it. SO off the lot this person has lost $10k in value. Or more accurately, owes $10k more that the car is worth.

Your "Car" insurance is only responsible for "Fair" market value. NOT what you owe the bank.

Now. If you owe less than the car is worth, same rule applies. They will pay you "Fair" market value. They do not care if you own it or are paying as bank for it. 
Yes that's what I said but without the explanantion... Geico paid the fair market value which happened to be more than what I borrowed and owed.... Thanks for the explanation though it's really interesting to see what goes into the insurance process... Also, I researched adjustment process a tad bit and they're like private investigators...

My Affiliate Code: OEESSSDNZV

kram36
The Destroyer
  • Total Posts : 21477
  • Ribbons : 72
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/06 19:34:23 (permalink)
RushXTC
Afterburner
It is time for you to man up, and mount up for the next few years. No more vehicles for you...

What image was that? And why no vehicle for the next few years? That was all cleared up.

I'm waiting for the call back from my insurance, They're assigning someone to my case. Should take 3-4 days is what I'm being told, Then they'd come check it out.

If they total it out, go get a real car.

HAZMAN_THE_GREAT
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4805
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/06 20:20:49 (permalink)
kram36
RushXTC
Afterburner
It is time for you to man up, and mount up for the next few years. No more vehicles for you...

What image was that? And why no vehicle for the next few years? That was all cleared up.

I'm waiting for the call back from my insurance, They're assigning someone to my case. Should take 3-4 days is what I'm being told, Then they'd come check it out.

YA he should get a real car like this. Maybe this time with a car like that he would be able to chill out and not get into so much trouble. Plus its something he could be able to afford and he would be able to use the rest of the money to pay off his fines and fees from getting into trouble.

JGLuxe
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7192
  • Ribbons : 17
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/06 20:39:36 (permalink)
kram36
RushXTC
Afterburner

I like fast, Sorry... =/

i9-12900ks @ | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA

kram36
The Destroyer
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/06 21:02:20 (permalink)
RushXTC
kram36
RushXTC
Afterburner

I like fast, Sorry... =/

Why did you buy a Mustang then? Apparently they can't stop once they do get going either lol.
JGLuxe
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/06 21:09:58 (permalink)
lmao.

When I drove a Camaro 2SS (Yes, I'm sure you remember my post) I was strongly considering it, However, You can actually FEEL the power pushing you back on this one....

435 HP (Flywheel) 400 LBS of TQ? YES!

kram36
The Destroyer
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/06 21:18:27 (permalink)
RushXTC
lmao.

When I drove a Camaro 2SS (Yes, I'm sure you remember my post) I was strongly considering it, However, You can actually FEEL the power pushing you back on this one....

435 HP (Flywheel) 400 LBS of TQ? YES!

You may have a point on the brake issue though. Remembering the 2015 GT vs the 1LE shootout, Randy Pobst commented that the ABS didn't feel right to him on the Mustang.

Right about the 10:55 mark he comments that the ABS gets confused.

post edited by kram36 - 2015/02/06 21:27:49
JGLuxe
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/06 21:35:44 (permalink)
Thanks for bringing that up, The brakes work wonderfully when regular braking, But both times I had to smash them, Had the same reaction. It kind of confused me as to why when you need it most, They fail. Lol.

blacksapphire08
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8875
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/07 12:48:17 (permalink)
Afterburner

Please dont crash the nice bike. Give him a Walmart special to cruise around on...

MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/13 01:49:06 (permalink)
What did the insurance agent say?
JGLuxe
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/13 02:58:34 (permalink)
MSim

They're going to send an appraiser out to me, The only problem is the car wasn't on the policy yet. I was on my way to add it to the policy, My 2013 was still on that policy.

She said they only give 3 days, But under these circumstances (I was in jail and the car wasn't driven) that they just need to clear the request and the appraiser will be sent.

If it's cleared (I'm hoping it is) the insurance is going to give me a check instead of fixing it, Because I told them I had a place I was going to take it to. She said she'd call me on Wednesday, Maybe. It's Friday now, So if she doesn't call me by noon, I'll be calling her to get an update..

rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102339
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/13 03:47:02 (permalink)
RushXTC
MSim

They're going to send an appraiser out to me, The only problem is the car wasn't on the policy yet. I was on my way to add it to the policy, My 2013 was still on that policy.

She said they only give 3 days, But under these circumstances (I was in jail and the car wasn't driven) that they just need to clear the request and the appraiser will be sent.

If it's cleared (I'm hoping it is) the insurance is going to give me a check instead of fixing it, Because I told them I had a place I was going to take it to. She said she'd call me on Wednesday, Maybe. It's Friday now, So if she doesn't call me by noon, I'll be calling her to get an update..

So for anyone else reading this always make sure when driving a newly owned automobile that all of the paperwork for tags, title, and also insurance is taken care of as fast as possible. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

kram36
The Destroyer
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/13 05:41:41 (permalink)
I won't even pull a vehicle I just bought out of the parking lot until it's on my insurance.

I have a feeling they are not going to pay for this. They don't have to.
JGLuxe
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/13 06:21:18 (permalink)
kram36
I won't even pull a vehicle I just bought out of the parking lot until it's on my insurance.

That's what I'm thinking too. The reason I waited was because the guys at my dealership (Not sure why I'm so gullible) said that's the reason why they scan proof of insurance for the trade-in vehicle, Because there's a law in California that leaves you covered with your old policy for something like 30 days... Should have done it sooner, I was just lagging it.

Also, Just because it's in your policy doesn't mean they'll cover you... If you call them and give them the VIN and you crash on the way over there, You'd be out of luck as well, Because even though it's a new car, They don't have pictures of it BEFORE the accident.

I don't know, I'm hoping they do.

MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/13 06:29:55 (permalink)
rjohnson11
RushXTC
MSim

So for anyone else reading this always make sure when driving a newly owned automobile that all of the paperwork for tags, title, and also insurance is taken care of as fast as possible. 

I seen that. What i look for is an update. See what the estimate was.

kram36

Long as Rush has up to date insurance and didn't allow it to lapse. I don't see how they could refuse to pay for the repair.  Now if he was caught burning the vehicle to the ground. I could see insurance company refusing paying for that kind of damage.

zildjian75
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1261
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/13 07:13:50 (permalink)
I thought you had to have insurance on a new car before the dealer would let you take it off the lot. At least that's how it is in South Carolina I believe. It's actually to protect the bank that's giving you the loan, so you don't drive it off and wreck it and then the bank could get stuck with a brand new wrecked car.

"The wise know their weakness too well to assume infallibility; and he who knows most, knows best how little he knows."   Thomas Jefferson

RIG#1 (Home) - i7 4790k @ 4.4ghz w/ CM V8 GTS - EVGA Z97 Classified - Win10 64bit - Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB) @ 2133mhz - 2 x EVGA GTX 980SC in SLI - Corsair AX850 - 250GB Samsung Evo (main) - 500GB Samsung Evo (games) - 1TB WD Black (misc) - Aerocool Strike-X (Cheesy... But effective!)

kaninja
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8755
  • Ribbons : 25
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/13 13:02:42 (permalink)
I've never heard of having coverage on a vehicle that isn't on the policy.

Corsair 650D   -  i5 3570K @ 4.6GHz  -  Corsair H80i  -  MSI Z77 M-Power  -  16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum
WD 1TB Caviar Black x2  -  OCZ 120GB Vertex2 SSD  -  Corsair HX620  -  GTX285 SSC  -  Samsung T240  -  DIR-655

MSim
Omnipotent Enthusiast
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/13 14:22:41 (permalink)
RushXTC
kram36

That's what I'm thinking too. The reason I waited was because the guys at my dealership (Not sure why I'm so gullible) said that's the reason why they scan proof of insurance for the trade-in vehicle, Because there's a law in California that leaves you covered with your old policy for something like 30 days... Should have done it sooner, I was just lagging it.

Also, Just because it's in your policy doesn't mean they'll cover you... If you call them and give them the VIN and you crash on the way over there, You'd be out of luck as well, Because even though it's a new car, They don't have pictures of it BEFORE the accident.

I don't know, I'm hoping they do.

Why on earth do they need pictures of a brand new card before the accident. I would think about contacting a lawyer to help you get the ball rolling.

Punchy
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2969
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/13 14:41:17 (permalink)
Many policies cover a newly purchased car for 14 to 30 days before officially adding it, but insurers and state laws may vary.

JGLuxe
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/13 19:24:56 (permalink)
Called them twice today, Left messages to the lady handling the case, No answer and no call back.

Why? Probably to avoid doing any other work today, Since they get the long weekend off. -_-

Now I gotta wait until Tuesday..

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 25794
  • Ribbons : 110
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/13 20:08:02 (permalink)
Punchy
Many policies cover a newly purchased car for 14 to 30 days before officially adding it, but insurers and state laws may vary.

Correct.

Now... Bad drivers getting insurance from a "Cheap" insurance company will have language in the policy telling them that they have no coverage for new purchases until they have been informed and an insurance ID card is created.

For "Most" insurance... We all have 14- 30 days automatically. It is one of the perks.

However!!!

That perk is only "Up to" the amount of coverage that the vehicle covered the most has on the policy. So...

If you have three cars... All only have Liability. That is all you have. No comp or collision as required by the loan(s).

Now... Same three vehicles. Two are liability only, one has under-insured and comp and collision. Your new purchase has "That" same coverage as the one vehicle has. 

They do this for a very simple reason... Courtesy and that even when you do get the loan at the time of the purchase, the banks do not always know what address or location is going to be the one holding the note (Loan). This takes a week or two. We the buyers usually get that info in the mail along with a welcome/thank you letter. And we are then to let the insurance company know about that bank info so that can add the lien holder to the policy.

mistermister
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5804
  • Ribbons : 13
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/14 11:59:54 (permalink)
RushXTC
...under these circumstances (I was in jail and the car wasn't driven)...

Wait... what?

AMD 3700x / X-570 Aorus Ultra / RTX-3090 FTW3
Grey_Beard
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2233
  • Ribbons : 10
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/14 12:07:30 (permalink)
mistermister
RushXTC
...under these circumstances (I was in jail and the car wasn't driven)...

Wait... what?

I read that also and had the same reaction. Lucy, you got some explaining to do!

mistermister
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/14 12:50:32 (permalink)
I can't believe the thread got this far without someone calling him out on it.

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 25794
  • Ribbons : 110
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/14 13:16:33 (permalink)
mistermister
I can't believe the thread got this far without someone calling him out on it.

He said to PM him and he would tell you. And he took heat in those for sure, well and some helpful advice I am certain 

mistermister
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/14 13:22:39 (permalink)
Plot twist, he rear ended Bruce Jenner?

Grey_Beard
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2233
  • Ribbons : 10
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/14 13:24:24 (permalink)
mistermister
Plot twist, he rear ended Bruce Jenner?

+1. Next thing we'll know, Bruce is his neighbor.

Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31005
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: And that's the end of it! 2015/02/14 14:24:10 (permalink)
RushXTC
Called them twice today, Left messages to the lady handling the case, No answer and no call back.

Why? Probably to avoid doing any other work today, Since they get the long weekend off. -_-

Now I gotta wait until Tuesday..

You have an uphill battle: The insurance fraud department will probably be involved; to go over your claim very carefully.

1) You failed to get a police report, with a large amount of property damage. (what does your State Law require?)
2) You failed to notify your insurer; before the accident to add this car?  (Terms of your policy / State Law grace period?)
3) Most policies have exclusions if you are violating the law and are involved in a claim; gives the insurer a big out.

I know insurance company underwriters and insurance companies are always looking out for any unusual claims.
Really does not even matter if you are hiding anything or not; from their point of view it seems fishy.
I hope the other driver and any witnesses are willing to support your claim.  Maybe photos of situation before cars were moved?

In my State, the Insurance Commissioner's office is a great resource. 

That is were I learn that the value of the car is determined by the price it sells for at dealerships in my state.  Years ago I ended up in arbitration and got much more than the insurance company's offer to settle. (State - Worst, I mean F**m) It took weeks to get the hearing and then the ruling.

Good luck on a quick settlement, do your homework and buckle in for a bumpy ride.
post edited by Cool GTX - 2015/02/14 14:25:23

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 21
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile