EVGA

A few updates to my Home Theater system...

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 25794
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 110
Re: A few updates to my Home Theater system... 2016/03/01 20:12:16 (permalink)
stalinx20

You are right when you said that there is much to gain from frequencies under 20hz, even though we don't hear it, and many do not know there is much to gain from those frequencies... Let me ask you this... Would there be any value from your amp pushing signals over 20,000hz to your speakers? The speakers will push them out anyway. After all, we don't hear them, but is there any benefit? Just wanting to hear your input sir.

I have yet to find any valid reason to spend time on levels above 20khz. I tried to see if by working higher, it would "Free" up the rest so to speak, or make the horn/tweeter(s) work harder. I could not hear any clear/repeatable difference either way. So I stopped spending energy on it. 

nateman_doo
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 11233
  • Ribbons : 56
Re: A few updates to my Home Theater system... 2016/03/08 06:49:27 (permalink)
Also tuning a box low, you get more use out of the output.  Doing SPL over the years I had my box tuned to 65 Hz.  That was the resonant freq of my car, but the drop off below 65 it dropped like a rock.  Above 65 the box had significantly stable drop off so it was more "usable".  But I never used it for anything other then burping.

And yea... low freq's are fun.  I like to resonate my basement on occasion with some freq's in the teens.
Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: A few updates to my Home Theater system... 2016/03/08 20:34:46 (permalink)
We got the SVS sub tuned in...

And let me tell you. The "Impact" feels like a person is hitting the couch.

*Insert multiple high excitement words here*

AWESOME

agent8
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8248
  • Ribbons : 20
Re: A few updates to my Home Theater system... 2016/03/08 21:48:06 (permalink)
Very cool! I am still trying to talk my wife into a Marty sub in the corner but the idea of a mini fringe shaking our walls even more is not an easy subject around here...
Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: A few updates to my Home Theater system... 2016/08/19 05:11:32 (permalink)
I just realized I had not updated this post with the final results. Sorry about that. Here you go...

Final setup is... 

Sony 65X850C 
Denon AVR-X4200W (Runs Front surround) 
Samsung UBD-KM85c 4K Ultra HD Streaming Blu-ray Player
SVS PB13-Ultra 
Emotiva XPA-5 (Running all Four Height Atmos/DTX-X/3D speakers)
Emotiva XPA-5 (Running Two front towers, front center, back set of surround)
polkaudio RTi12 (2) (Fronts)
polkaudio CSi5 (Center)
polkaudio RC85i (4) (Surrounds)
polkaudio RC85i (4) Hi Dolby Atmos/DTS-X/3D Audio

We hired an electrician to:
  • Run all the speaker wires into the vaulted ceiling
  • Cut the holes for the speakers
  • Wire and mount the speakers
  • Create an access point for the floor to allow for wiring to be ran into the crawl space for sound outside
  • Run/install two, individual dedicated 30amp outlets for the electronic mentioned above
  • installed a whole house circuit protector (Do not worry, still using our high end power cleaner and surge system at the source) 
  • And while they are there, I had them install a generator switch/hookup for our new backup generator.

And while the wife was planning on ordering all new curtains for the first floor, I was successful in getting the blackout curtains that also have the light filtering she wanted. Basically you pull on the curtain to which ever option you want and everyone is happy! 

The pics below are of the old blinds. We just got the new ones up the other day. And all the paint blemished got re-painted, drywall fixed up =]

As far as results/performance......... Love it. Sound is accurate, can be nice and low or make the neighbors turn off their sound because they can just listen to ours 

Everyone of our friends that have heard the system are flabbergasted on how you cannot tell where the sub is. It fills the room and scares the crap out of you when the scene calls for a BOOM... It punches you (Shock wave like not loud in sound)

Mkkari
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 130
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: A few updates to my Home Theater system... 2016/08/19 09:05:09 (permalink)
stalinx20That moment your neighbor's pictures fall off their wall.

I do not have any slightest idea what are we talking about over here. *cough*

House was empty and I was bored. Clamped 18" from car to pa-amp and here we go. Fastest glue user ever, no one has still noticed anything funny. Lol.
First time with the bigger box i was measuring db's and listening to Kat Deluna - Run this show. Hits up nice, but everything came down from the shelf. Some books on your head doesnt feel good though.

My Affiliate Code: WS2E1M09J4

Ryzen 1700 + Noctua D15 SE / Gigabyte X370 Gaming 5 / G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600 2x8gb / EVGA GTX1060 FTW+ / Evga 650W P2 / Corsair 750D / Samsung S27D850D

agent8
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8248
  • Ribbons : 20
Re: A few updates to my Home Theater system... 2016/08/19 10:05:32 (permalink)
Yeah, when I first was calibrating my 18" and 15", I ran them a tad too hot (still had hundreds of watts before even hitting RMS ) and I ended up cracking the drywall in the ceiling. Thankfully, my wife hasn't spotted it yet. I also loosened up the bricks that go around the stucco on the wall opposite of one of the subs. For giggles, I am going to order 2 more Aura pro shakers to stick in the couch. It's addictive!
Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: A few updates to my Home Theater system... 2016/08/19 21:38:28 (permalink)
Mkkari
stalinx20That moment your neighbor's pictures fall off their wall.

I do not have any slightest idea what are we talking about over here. *cough*

House was empty and I was bored. Clamped 18" from car to pa-amp and here we go. Fastest glue user ever, no one has still noticed anything funny. Lol.
First time with the bigger box i was measuring db's and listening to Kat Deluna - Run this show. Hits up nice, but everything came down from the shelf. Some books on your head doesnt feel good though.

Yep... No idea...

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: A few updates to my Home Theater system... 2016/10/07 15:31:04 (permalink)
Decisions decisions!!! I have two days to decide to take advantage of my one year upgrade or not...

https://www.svsound.com/pages/16-ultra-series 

Quote... "The new 16-Ultra Series are the biggest and most powerful SVS subwoofers ever built and the culmination of all SVS engineering advancements, but that’s only part of the story." /Quote

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile