EVGA

Helpful ReplyIs this Microsofts way of saying it's a new Nvidia driver?

Author
XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 63846
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 115
2012/11/14 19:49:08 (permalink)

Windows Update say's the following came out today. I don't remember it being worded that way before:

"Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.2, Other Hardware - Nvidia Geforce GTX 580."

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
James_L
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4336
  • Ribbons : 46
Re:Is this Microsofts way of saying it's a new Nvidia driver? 2012/11/14 19:58:21 (permalink)
No, that is an additional piece for WDDM updates for your system. I haven't installed it as there are reports it degrades video clarity on certain circumstances. Windows 8 has this already but I don't think Windows 7 needs it personally.

[edit] Please see my last posting for proper answer. [/edit]
post edited by James_L - 2012/11/14 20:45:06

XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
Re:Is this Microsofts way of saying it's a new Nvidia driver? 2012/11/14 20:02:55 (permalink)
James_L

No, that is an additional piece for WDDM updates for your system. I haven't installed it as there are reports it degrades video clarity on certain circumstances. Windows 8 has this already but I don't think Windows 7 needs it personally.

I have Win 7. It say's it's an "Important" update. Not the "Optional" one. Usually Nvidia drivers are under "Optional".

I always download new Nvidia drivers from Nvidia's website only. Not Microsoft's.

&nbsp
James_L
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:Is this Microsofts way of saying it's a new Nvidia driver? 2012/11/14 20:08:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
XrayMan
I have Win 7. It say's it's an "Important" update. Not the "Optional" one. Usually Nvidia drivers are under "Optional".

I don't necessarily feel it's an 'important' update regardless if Microsoft feels that way. Windows 7 included WDDM 1.1 as part of the OS already. This is just some additional features to be included. WDDM 1.2 is imbedded in Windows 8 when it went RTM and is not able to be removed. Here is essentially what was involved in the two additions for WDDM as it's essentially the Windows Display Driver Model:

WDDM 1.1

Windows 7 supports major additions to WDDM known as WDDM 1.1; the details of this new version were unveiled at WinHEC 2008. New features include:
Hardware acceleration of GDI and Direct2D/DirectWrite operations helps reduce memory footprint in Windows 7, because DWM compositing engine no longer needs to keep a system memory copy of all surfaces used by GDI/GDI+, as in Windows Vista.
DXGI 1.1, Direct3D 11, Direct2D, and DirectWrite were made available with Windows Vista Platform Update; however GDI/GDI+ in Vista continues to rely on software rendering and the Desktop Window Manager continues to use Direct3D 9Ex.
WDDM 1.1 drivers are backward compatible with WDDM 1.0 specification; both 1.0 and 1.1 drivers can be used in Windows Vista with or without the Platform Update.

WDDM 1.2

Windows 8 includes WDDM 1.2 and DXGI 1.2. New features were first previewed at the Windows BUILD conference and include performance improvements as well as support for stereoscopic 3D rendering and video playback.
Other major features include preemptive multitasking with finer granularity (DMA buffer, primitive, triangle, pixel, or instruction-level), reduced memory footprint, improved resource sharing, and faster timeout detection and recovery. 16-bit color surface formats (565, 5551, 4444) are mandatory in Windows 8, and Direct3D 11 Video supports YUV 4:4:4/4:2:2/4:2:0/4:1:1 video formats with 8, 10, and 16-bit precision, as well as 4 and 8-bit palettized formats.
WDDM 1.0/1.1 only allows rudimentary task scheduling using "batch queue" granularity; improvements to multitasking, as well as fast context switching and support for virtual memory, were initially expected in WDDM 2.0 and 2.1, announced at WinHEC 2006.

XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
Re:Is this Microsofts way of saying it's a new Nvidia driver? 2012/11/14 20:13:30 (permalink)

Thanks for the info, James.

&nbsp
James_L
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:Is this Microsofts way of saying it's a new Nvidia driver? 2012/11/14 20:15:54 (permalink)
No problem. Here is a look at my update history. I'm not running it at all, didn't feel it was necessary but it's listed as 'optional' in my update history. It wasn't labeled 'Important' at all. I think that was just a way they could force the update some how but I really don't see why for the 'features' they bring.

[edit]
I also don't ever allow Microsoft to update my video drivers. No need for them to mess something up they aren't good at doing anyway. Especially since they don't make the hardware. I would usually trust the manufacturer of the device to know better.
[/edit] 

post edited by James_L - 2012/11/14 20:18:47

SeaShells
  • Total Posts : 52
  • Ribbons : 0
Re:Is this Microsofts way of saying it's a new Nvidia driver? 2012/11/14 20:19:46 (permalink)
XrayMan

James_L

I always download new Nvidia drivers from Nvidia's website only. Not Microsoft's.

I just came back to my comp and am in the exact same position after seeing this "important update".

Thanks for the info James_L, though still not sure why I would want to install this or why not.

If there is no simple answer I guess I'll search around when I have the time...

Asus P8Z68-v Pro|i7 2600K|EVGA GTX 580 SC|8 GB DDR3|X-Fi Titanium|HX850
James_L
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:Is this Microsofts way of saying it's a new Nvidia driver? 2012/11/14 20:28:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
They 'why to install' is if you want the additional features for the updated WDDM or if/when something requires it. They have it set for 'important' to head off compatibility issues perhaps. As it was originally marked 'optional' when I saw it back a while ago it would appear there wasn't a real justification for Windows 7 to necessarily need the update. Mileage varies on the functionality of the update depending on if the application (in normal cases games) need the extended functionality of the WDDM to perform the tasks necessary. Windows 8 introduces features which are not available under Windows 7 (at least at this time) for DirectX 11.1 which will not currently be ported. These updates help some of the streamlining of certain current functions but in some comparison screen shots I have seen on before/after implementing this change it didn't appear to greatly affect much for the display and in some games it fuzzed some sharpness for certain areas. I'm still on the fence about this update and have it marked 'hidden' currently.

XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
Re:Is this Microsofts way of saying it's a new Nvidia driver? 2012/11/14 20:30:06 (permalink)
SeaShells

I just came back to my comp and am in the exact same position after seeing this "important update".

Thanks for the info James_L, though still not sure why I would want to install this or why not.

Agreed. I'm feeling the same way. If someone from Microsoft wants to step in, and explain in detail. That's fine.      

&nbsp
XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
Re:Is this Microsofts way of saying it's a new Nvidia driver? 2012/11/14 20:39:34 (permalink)
James_L

They have it set for 'important' to head off compatibility issues perhaps. As it was originally marked 'optional' when I saw it back a while ago it would appear there wasn't a real justification for Windows 7 to necessarily need the update.

Say's on the Update page that it was released in October 2012, but Microsoft published it on their update page today. How come you got it awhile ago, and I only just got this notification today? Saying published today?

&nbsp
James_L
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:Is this Microsofts way of saying it's a new Nvidia driver? 2012/11/14 20:42:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
XrayMan

SeaShells

Agreed. I'm feeling the same way. If someone from Microsoft wants to step in, and explain in detail. That's fine.      

I have found confirmation that they are the new way that Microsoft is deploying the nVidia drivers now. They mark the drivers differently as Windows 8 will be using this new discription for the driver deployment, thus the marker for your 'hardware device ID' in the discription of the 'important' update and why they are marked that way. There is no need to deploy them if you have a more recent version of the nVidia drivers on your system. Just hide this update and happily ignore it.

http://msdn.microsoft.com...3805%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

James_L
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:Is this Microsofts way of saying it's a new Nvidia driver? 2012/11/14 20:47:42 (permalink)
XrayMan
Say's on the Update page that it was released in October 2012, but Microsoft published it on their update page today. How come you got it awhile ago, and I only just got this notification today? Saying published today?

Their update servers aren't all that great at timing I would suppose. Different systems have updates identified in different ways. I'm usually fairly up to date as I train others using my systems remotely so I need to ensure there isn't any lagging updates which may cause problems on the remote desktop views for the ones being trained. That said I'm not sure why you didn't get the notification when I did on this system here. Might be the version of the driver for your system didn't need updating until a newer push for the driver.

Just for info sake I got the notification on 2012/10/14.

XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
Re:Is this Microsofts way of saying it's a new Nvidia driver? 2012/11/14 21:00:18 (permalink)

Cool. Thanks again.   

&nbsp
SeaShells
  • Total Posts : 52
Re:Is this Microsofts way of saying it's a new Nvidia driver? 2012/11/14 21:01:26 (permalink)
Odd.  AFAIK, I also keep up to date with Win updates and this just popped up today for me as well.  I can say that I have never paid any attention to "optional" display related updates, except to note that they disappear when I install a new Nvidia driver, and can't compare this to past offerings.

To my untrained eye, everything in the article linked by James_L seems to relate to Win8... but we are using 7.  I'll back off and see what the more the knowledgeable among us conclude.

Asus P8Z68-v Pro|i7 2600K|EVGA GTX 580 SC|8 GB DDR3|X-Fi Titanium|HX850
James_L
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:Is this Microsofts way of saying it's a new Nvidia driver? 2012/11/14 21:07:09 (permalink)
SeaShells
To my untrained eye, everything in the article linked by James_L seems to relate to Win8... but we are using 7.  I'll back off and see what the more the knowledgeable among us conclude.

You're welcome to wait for other opinions on this. As an MCSE/MCT I usually look into most of the information for any update being presented by Microsoft as 'important' as I really want to know the whys for the need to designate any change in the overall underlying OS. Tends to help when I'm looking to resolve a subtle error on a server or workstation when I encounter a faulty one. Feel free to wait on this one though. I haven't seen this need to install it and it doesn't appear to be held in the 'hidden' updates anymore since I updated my video driver to 310.54 recently.

XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
Re:Is this Microsofts way of saying it's a new Nvidia driver? 2012/11/14 21:17:51 (permalink)
SeaShells 

The link did explain the WDDM1.1 and 1.2. That explanation in the article pretty much answered my questions. Whether it's for Win 8 or not. I now know more, and satified with the answers James gave.      :)

&nbsp
batsone42
  • Total Posts : 22
Re:Is this Microsofts way of saying it's a new Nvidia driver? 2012/11/15 04:24:41 (permalink)
I just installed this as it was marked as an "important" update and didn't realize it was a "driver" (?) update for my gtx580 until after it installed. I feel duped by it's ID as "important" since I already had up-to-date drivers for my graphics card. 

So looking at the Control Panel list of programs looks like it just added to the list of nVidia program components? (the ones marked with todays date 11/15/12). I'm unclear as to whether it uninstalled and replaced what I had already or simply installed additional code?

cpu: i7 950 @ 3.07GHz
gpu: EVGA GTX 580 (Fermi) 
ram: 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 1333
hard drive: WD 150GB Raptor
psu: Corsair HX Series 850W  
motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth x58
case: Cooler Master HAF 912  
monitor: Planar PX2411W 24" LCD
James_L
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:Is this Microsofts way of saying it's a new Nvidia driver? 2012/11/15 07:27:42 (permalink)
batsone42

I just installed this as it was marked as an "important" update and didn't realize it was a "driver" (?) update for my gtx580 until after it installed. I feel duped by it's ID as "important" since I already had up-to-date drivers for my graphics card. 

So looking at the Control Panel list of programs looks like it just added to the list of nVidia program components? (the ones marked with todays date 11/15/12). I'm unclear as to whether it uninstalled and replaced what I had already or simply installed additional code?

Microsoft typically only installs the main driver usually. I would imagine they are now installing the 3D vision drivers as well for the newer functionality of 3D monitors/TVs. They only generally install the WHQL latest version which may conflict with any upgraded or beta driver installed but usually it won't even mark the installation of their push driver if you are running something higher in version then the one being looked at in the registry. If you notice in the picture you posted your original driver was 306.23 and they pushed 306.97 which is the latest WHQL. You may see some unusual results because of that but since the revision number is only very minor you may not see anything at all. I recommend just using the ones released by NVIDIA rather than the pushed ones from Microsoft as eventually your update process will conflict between the NVIDIA update and Microsoft with major/minor numbers and problems will occur.

jawnTEM
  • Total Posts : 14
Re:Is this Microsofts way of saying it's a new Nvidia driver? 2012/11/15 09:21:16 (permalink)
I had am Nvidia tech post an install on mine that highly recommended that I "manually" install, and only install the base driver and the PhysX, and leave off the the others.

Does anyone know anything about this and if it's still valid? Because' if Win does it's install thingy, it will probably over-write and install everything!
James_L
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:Is this Microsofts way of saying it's a new Nvidia driver? 2012/11/15 09:24:33 (permalink)
jawnTEM

I had am Nvidia tech post an install on mine that highly recommended that I "manually" install, and only install the base driver and the PhysX, and leave off the the others.

Does anyone know anything about this and if it's still valid? Because' if Win does it's install thingy, it will probably over-write and install everything!

I typically only install the base driver and PhysX for my machines here. I don't run more than two (2) monitors so having the 3D vision and those drivers are fairly useless for anything which won't utilize it. Also I don't use the HDMI audio for my GTX560Ti so I don't install those either. As far as the NVIDIA Update that all depends on if you want NVIDIA updating your drivers automatically when a new WHQL is released or if you want to do that manually. I also don't instal that.

Windows will install generic HDMI audio drivers for them but I also have those devices disabled in my device manager under Windows 7. Microsoft will overwrite the base driver and (as it turns out) adding in the 3D drivers for the cards. You can always just 'hide' the update and it won't appear anymore.

jawnTEM
  • Total Posts : 14
Re:Is this Microsofts way of saying it's a new Nvidia driver? 2012/11/15 10:26:10 (permalink)
Lol! That's just what the tech suggested.

I've been doing just that ever since without any issues at all. What! Almost a year now and gone through several updates.

I've also recommended this same policy to others having Nvidia issues with similar successful results. I figured that if an Nvidia tech was going to post it, he probably knew what he was talking about.

Thanks for your "very" fast reply.
1ceTr0n
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2683
  • Ribbons : 9
Re:Is this Microsofts way of saying it's a new Nvidia driver? 2012/11/17 19:05:35 (permalink)
Is there a way to tell microsoft to go away on this and I'll take care of my own drivers

James_L
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:Is this Microsofts way of saying it's a new Nvidia driver? 2012/11/17 19:37:44 (permalink)
1ceTr0n

Is there a way to tell microsoft to go away on this and I'll take care of my own drivers

Yes, when it shows up just hide the update and it won't show again or you can update to a version higher than the date on the listed 'important' update which should be the WHQL release date.

1ceTr0n
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:Is this Microsofts way of saying it's a new Nvidia driver? 2012/11/17 19:49:24 (permalink)
I can't find that hide option

James_L
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:Is this Microsofts way of saying it's a new Nvidia driver? 2012/11/17 20:04:34 (permalink)
1ceTr0n

I can't find that hide option

Right click on the listing and there will be a 'hide' option.

1ceTr0n
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:Is this Microsofts way of saying it's a new Nvidia driver? 2012/11/17 20:13:06 (permalink)
Another blue Ribbon for that I think

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile