EVGA

gtx 1070 ftw screen goes black and fans go to 100% randomly

Author
cquist
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2018/09/11 16:18:31 (permalink)
It can happen while I'm gaming, it can happen sitting in a web browser. screen will go black, any sound I have going will continue (music, whatever), fans power up to max. I have to shut down manually to move forward.

sometimes it happens 5 times a night, sometimes it doesnt happen for 5 days. Its randomness is so frustrating.

This has gone on for a few months now. Purchased the card october 2016.

GPU load temp doesnt go above 60C but ive heard weird things about the first gen 1070s (thermal pads?)

PSU is PC Power & Cooling MK3S750 Silencer MK III 750W
MB is MSI Z170A Gaming M5

5 Replies Related Threads

Tech_RayH
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 834
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: gtx 1070 ftw screen goes black and fans go to 100% randomly 2018/09/11 17:01:48 (permalink)
     Sorry to hear about the issue with your GTX 1070 FTW. You are likely having a hardware and not a software issue. The card is going to into Over Current Protection mode (OCP), where the screen goes black and the fans spin at 100% speed. It basically means that the card is receiving inconsistent or unstable power and the OCP mode if designed to protect the card if there is a large power spike from the PSU. It is possible that the card is having a false positive and that would be an issue internal to the card and would need to be replaced. Most often this will happen randomly when the PCIe power cables are loose or a pin is not making fill contact. If the system is running under load and you give a good tap on the power cables and the card blacks out, then that is the issue. You will want to swap cables. Please also make sure the card is connected with two direct 6+2 PCIe power cables and no adapters are being used. We include dual 6 pin to 8 pin adapters, but you should not use them unless the PSU is older and does not have 6+2 PCIe power connectors.
    It is also worth noting that the card receives about 75w from the PCIe slot and because it is both a large and heavy card, the weight may cause an inconsistent connection to the PCIe slot. We recommend testing in a second slot in the motherboard.
    You will also want to make sure that the PSU is giving stable power to the GPU. To check the power supply you can go into the motherboard BIOS/UEFI and look for "Hardware Monitor" or "PC Health Status" and look for a live readout of the 12v rail of the power supply. The 12v rail should read between 11.4v and 12.6v (+/- 5% of the rail's rating). It should be stable, with little to no fluctuations. A fluctuation 0.1v or more, or any fluctuation more often than every 10 seconds could be an indication of an issue with the 12v rail, and you should consider having your power supply tested or replaced.

...an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum.
    - Adlai E. Stevenson

cquist
    Re: gtx 1070 ftw screen goes black and fans go to 100% randomly 2018/09/11 19:00:34 (permalink)
    thank you for answering, RayH
    ok in bios my 12v reads 12.288v constant, never changing. I watched it for 5 minutes straight, never wavered.

I ran heaven benchmark and flicked the power cables to the video card hard, nothing... I am currently using the EVGA powerlink. I flicked that hard too, but nothing triggered. Are there any known issues with powerlink adapters? My card is secured in the slot and doesnt have too much weight droop, but even so I lifted it about 5mm to see if the PCIe seat had any issues, nothing happened. 

I currently have a ticket # with phone support, but they asked me to check my card in another computer, but honestly thats not feasable as it goes for days on end without error, then errors multiple times in a day, and I only have this one PC.
    post edited by cquist - 2018/09/11 19:02:44
    Tech_RayH
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 834
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: gtx 1070 ftw screen goes black and fans go to 100% randomly 2018/09/11 19:06:26 (permalink)
    PowerLinks will rarely cause issues. That said, as a final test, remove the PowerLink and try to power with just the PCIe cables from the PSU.
    If the issue goes away we can offer to send a replacement PowerLink, otherwise we can offer to replace the card.

...an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum.
    - Adlai E. Stevenson

bob16314
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8048
    • Ribbons : 761
    Re: gtx 1070 ftw screen goes black and fans go to 100% randomly 2018/09/11 19:21:29 (permalink)
    The card appears to be sagging on the right side..Might just be an optical illusion though..Sagging has been known to cause issues..I'd prop/tie it up with something so it's level in the PCIe slot if it's sagging.

Other than that, it's usually either the PSU or card at fault that's causing your problem.

Unfortunately, swapping out suspect parts with known good parts or testing them in another PC (or taking to PC repair shop) is the only way to find out what the problem is with electronic stuff.

* Corsair Obsidian 450D Mid-Tower - Airflow Edition * ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) * Intel i7-8700K @ 5.0 GHz * 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z 4133MHz * Sabrent Rocket 1TB M.2 SSD * WD Black 500 GB HDD * Seasonic M12 II 750W * Corsair H115i Elite Capellix 280mm * EVGA GTX 760 SC * Win7 Home/Win10 Home * 

"Whatever it takes, as long as it works" - Me

cquist
    Re: gtx 1070 ftw screen goes black and fans go to 100% randomly 2018/09/11 21:33:47 (permalink)
    going to unplug the powerlink until further notice for testing. Now the power cord is pretty taut pulling the card upward and level. works out that way, maybe this will fix it
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile