CPU: Core i5 unlocked 7600K Lga1151
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX960 SSC
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4x8GB DDR4 2666MHz LED
CPU Block: XSPC raystorm Neo
Cooling: Enermax Neochanger 400ml RGB LED Reservoir and Pump
Fans: 3x Thermaltake Ring 12 RGB + Controller
SSD: SK hynix SL308 2.5" 500GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive
PSU: Corsair RM750i Full Modular

I had these parts sitting around for some time in their boxes before I decided to finally start my build last week.  Everything seemed to go smooth until I plugged in the power for all my components and attempted a boot test.  One important note: (I CAREFULLY took my GPU casing apart to custom paint it and put it back together making sure to clean off the existing thermal grease and apply another fresh application before CAREFULLY putting the shell back together).

1. Attempted to boot using both HDMI and DVI GPU ports - No Signal to my display unit. I verified cables are all working with another unit.
2. Fans spin up slightly every few seconds on the GPU then stop and continue in the same rhythm which I assume is expected with this card since it is a variable process.  I checked connections anyway and everything was plugged firmly into all ports.

The connector that came with the GPU is a Dual 6-Pin Female to 8-Pin Male Cable which I connected to the stock PSU connector which is an 8-Pin from the PSU PCI-e port to 2x 6-pin connectors that match perfectly with the GPU Y-cable.  The only thing that is missing is that the PSU cable has 2 extra 2-pin wires hanging off of them which I did not believe needed to be connected to anything since my GPU only had 6-pin adapters.

3. Steps I took to try to attempt to resolve.
    -   Disconnected GPU and removed PCI-e extension cable which is mounted on a rail for 90 Degree GPU install
    -   Attempted to connect to the integrated HDMI port with the same result - no signal
    -   Powered down machine and re-connected GPU and removed one Dimm at a time and attempted to power up again with the same results.
    -   Tried to connect PCI-e Extension cable to each available Pci-e 16 slot one at a time
    -   I have searched for and found many forums with similar if not the same issue but no solutions.

I do not believe it is a power issue, but I will be happy to hear some suggestions especially if someone thinks the issue is with the PSU.  So far the only thing I suspect is the PSU PCI-e Y cable with the 6+2 configuration.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  If you need more information from me, please let me know and I will provide anything that was not included in my post.

Thanks in advance.

12 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Reward points : 0
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Geforce GTX 960 4GB GDDR5 New PC Build No Video Signal 2018/04/11 19:07:23 (permalink)
    Why are you using the y adapter when your psu has the proper connection? 
    djviciouz
    • Total Posts : 8
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Geforce GTX 960 4GB GDDR5 New PC Build No Video Signal 2018/04/11 20:38:14 (permalink)
    Hello Sajin,
    I guess that is why I am here, so someone can guide me.  I watched a video online and read other forum posts where everyone seemed agree that this Y-connector was required.  So what you are saying is I simply need to run an 8-pin Pci-e cable from the PSU to the 8 pin connector on the GPU. Is this correct?  Unfortunately, I do not have a wire that fits both ends correctly so I will need to locate one.

Also, is the y adapter only needed if you are connecting two GPUs in an SLI configuration?  I don't understand why it is included in the package otherwise.  Maybe you can help me understand.

Thanks for your help by the way.

djviciouz
    Re: Geforce GTX 960 4GB GDDR5 New PC Build No Video Signal 2018/04/11 21:52:44 (permalink)
    So I took the Y-adapter off and plugged in one of the two available PCI-e power sources into the GPU.  (I just realized the adapter is probably meant for users who do not have an 8-pin PCI-e port on their PSU and need the adapter for older Molex connectors). 

I powered up the PC with the dvi connector plugged into a monitor.  So far no success.

Here is a quick video of the process, behavior and result: h t t p s : / /   youtu. be / dX3TAQ2xxAs
    post edited by djviciouz - 2018/04/11 22:00:46
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Geforce GTX 960 4GB GDDR5 New PC Build No Video Signal 2018/04/11 22:51:34 (permalink)
    What happens when you connect the card directly to the motherboard?
    djviciouz
    Re: Geforce GTX 960 4GB GDDR5 New PC Build No Video Signal 2018/04/12 02:49:50 (permalink)
    Hello Sajin,

I did think of that before but forgot to try it.  Thanks for reminding me.  I will give that a go next and let you know how it works out.

Thanks.
    djviciouz
    Re: Geforce GTX 960 4GB GDDR5 New PC Build No Video Signal 2018/04/12 06:07:35 (permalink)
    I connected the card directly to each available port, re-booted and still experience the same behavior.

I saw one recommendation to reset the cmos memory which I have the steps on how to do so on my motherboard, would you all recommend this step?
    post edited by djviciouz - 2018/04/12 10:55:45
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Geforce GTX 960 4GB GDDR5 New PC Build No Video Signal 2018/04/12 16:30:32 (permalink)
    Wouldn't hurt to try the cmos reset. Can you test the card in another pc?
    djviciouz
    Re: Geforce GTX 960 4GB GDDR5 New PC Build No Video Signal 2018/04/13 07:15:00 (permalink)
    I tested the card on another board and the card works fine.  I did make a rookie mistake however and forgot to plug in the CPU power, it was dangling on the back of the unit.  I plugged it in and did see different behavior from the card immediately but still no post.  I took the steps to clear the cmos memory but no luck.

I removed all but one ram stick just to see if I could get the computer to post.  I think I might need to run it straight from the integrated video port and update settings to recognize the card.

I will let you know how it goes.

post edited by djviciouz - 2018/04/13 09:25:15
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Geforce GTX 960 4GB GDDR5 New PC Build No Video Signal 2018/04/13 11:44:46 (permalink)
    Yep, updating the motherboard bios was going to be my next suggestion.
    Dr.Death
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1011
    • Ribbons : 9
    Re: Geforce GTX 960 4GB GDDR5 New PC Build No Video Signal 2018/04/15 06:46:17 (permalink)
    strange the latest board would not support this card   out of the box ?   what about  in the bios settings  is the graphics set to auto  or  CPU or  PCI-E  use ?   [ best to use auto  and insure the ''CARD'' is  installed correctly and the monitor to it and reboot  it should detect card use.

bios 3504 does call out  ''4.Improved VGA cards and storage device compatibility ''

so that or later may work out  if that was the issue .

one more thing don't confuse the 8 - pin CPU for the 8-pin GPU  plugs   , I seen that done a few times  mashed in

[should this be in the 900 series threads ? ]

anyway my ''last'' 3 asus were my last asus's ..  all ways something  at any given time   and lodes of bios updates for  ''improve system stability ''  heck after 15 - 20 of them you got to ask how unstable was these boards to start with ??
    djviciouz
    Re: Geforce GTX 960 4GB GDDR5 New PC Build No Video Signal 2018/04/15 16:12:09 (permalink)
    Hi Guys,
    Well, I never figured out the problem with the Asus Z170-AR, but I had a Gigabyte B8 Gaming board sitting around and I opted to use that one instead and there were no problems whatsoever with that install so perhaps there were some steps to take on the Asus board or perhaps that board was damaged so I decided to nix that setup.

I think it looks much cooler with the B8 anyway.  I'm glad it wasn't the processor or the memory though, they are more expensive to replace than the motherboard.  There was a bit of work having to bend new tube since the processor didn't sit exactly where the original board cpu did but it was worth the trouble.

I will probably take that motherboard to someone so they can check it for me.  I might also decide to try an RMA if possible and exchange it for another.

Thanks for all your help and the suggestions were great.  It helps me get ready for my next build.

I'll post pics of my rig once I have everything just the way I want it.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Geforce GTX 960 4GB GDDR5 New PC Build No Video Signal 2018/04/15 17:13:02 (permalink)
    Glad to hear a new motherboard fixed your issues. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile