Helpful ReplyHot!Z20 issues

Author
Tweaked
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6505
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 29
2023/10/30 14:48:41 (permalink)
My Z20 keyboard keeps losing connection to my PC and powering off. I've tried multiple USB ports including plugging it into the USB hub in my monitor. At random times it will stop responding to typing and keep inputting the last key pressed for a few seconds, and then just shut off. To get it back I have to unplug it from the USB and plug it back in. It will then work fine for a couple days and then do it again at random.

Ideas?

EVGA DG-77/ EVGA 750 G2/ Gigabyte B450/ AMD Ryzen 5 3600/ 16gb Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/ RTX-2080 XC/ Dell S2716DG / Windows 11 64
bdary
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10436
  • Ribbons : 116
Re: Z20 issues 2023/10/31 09:40:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Cool GTX 2023/11/09 05:25:30
My keyboard USB plugs seemed a bit sloppy fitting in my USB 2.0 ports so I was getting disconnects as well.  I moved them to 3.0 ports which were more snug and that resolved it for me.

Are your keyboards USB plugs feeling a bit loose in the ports you're plugging them in to?  If so, that's most likely your issue.  If not, may be time to RMA if under warranty.  It may not be ideal of a fix, but you could use toothpicks in the USB ports if you find you have sloppy fitting plugs.  Plug the keyboard in and stick a toothpick in next to it to take up the play in the port.  I've never had any USB plugs fit so loosely as the one's on this keyboard do.

Reed Valenzuela
  • Total Posts : 10
  • Ribbons : 0
Flagged as Spam (1)
Re: Z20 issues 2023/11/08 05:16:14 (permalink)
Thx for this post
donta1979
Primarch
  • Total Posts : 9010
  • Ribbons : 72
Re: Z20 issues 2023/11/10 22:51:59 (permalink)
Their keyboard needs a serious firmware update, on top of that you would be better off dumping it and buying a real quality keyboard the manufacturer keeps on top of with firmware updates.

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
My Build
14900k, z790 Apex Encore, Rog Ryujin III 360 ARGB, T-Force EXTREEM 8000mhz cl38 2x24 Stable"24hr Karhu" XMP, Rog Strix OC RTX 4090, Rog Hyperion GR701 Case, Rog Thor II 1200w, Rog Centra True Wireless Speednova, 35" Rog Swift PG35VQ + Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", EK Link FPT 140mm D-RGB Fans. Rog Claymore II, Rog Harpe Ace Aimlabs Edition, Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox One Controller, WD Black SN850x/Samsung 980+990 PRO/Samsung 980. Honeywell PTM7950 pad on CPU+GPU

Xsile
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: Z20 issues 2023/12/03 00:38:35 (permalink)
I bought mine Jun 11th 2022 had to RMA it a month after purchase.  1 month after receiving a replacement it started doing the same thing all over again. So for a year, I have been dealing with this keyboard randomly turning itself off and then back on in the middle of typing, randomly disconnecting itself requiring USB to be unplugged and plugged back in. After checking with the place I bought this keyboard from, it shows as discontinued. This is very disappointing. Everything about this keyboard looks and feels like a quality keyboard but its reliability is atrocious.  It is 100% a defective product line.  Had I known it was going to be this much hassle I would have just bought a much cheaper red dragon mechanical and not worried about this kind of issue. Very disappointed and dissatisfied.  I watched so many YouTube so-called Tech gurus praise this keyboard up and down. Jayz2cents, linustech tips, gamers nexus, and many others.  Man, where they wrong! 
frankd3
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 512
  • Ribbons : 14
Re: Z20 issues 2023/12/03 04:46:46 (permalink)
Xsile
I bought mine Jun 11th 2022 had to RMA it a month after purchase.  1 month after receiving a replacement it started doing the same thing all over again. So for a year, I have been dealing with this keyboard randomly turning itself off and then back on in the middle of typing, randomly disconnecting itself requiring USB to be unplugged and plugged back in. After checking with the place I bought this keyboard from, it shows as discontinued. This is very disappointing. Everything about this keyboard looks and feels like a quality keyboard but its reliability is atrocious.  It is 100% a defective product line.  Had I known it was going to be this much hassle I would have just bought a much cheaper red dragon mechanical and not worried about this kind of issue. Very disappointed and dissatisfied.  I watched so many YouTube so-called Tech gurus praise this keyboard up and down. Jayz2cents, linustech tips, gamers nexus, and many others.  Man, where they wrong! 

I had two of these keyboards for two different builds. First one after 6-months developed this problem and I threw it away. Most people think it's a driver issue but it's not.
Hooked up the second one and cursed EVGA the whole time.
When the second one started the same thing I finally realized it is caused by the usb connector being loose in the port.
You can try bdary's solution above or what I did. I simply pinched the exposed metal portion of the plug so that it is tight when inserted. Problem solved.
I didn't comment when original op posted because I was still testing my solution.

But, I'd never buy another one even if they stay in business.
post edited by frankd3 - 2023/12/03 04:49:22
BioHazardSperm
EGC Admin
  • Total Posts : 5541
  • Ribbons : 26
Re: Z20 issues 2023/12/03 19:35:51 (permalink)
OMG this whole time i thought it was just me. Mine has been randomly disconnecting . I unplug it, plug it back in the same exact port and it works fine. Tried this same method on other ports (3) with the exact same results. 

I am  >>NOT< <   a  EVGA Forums Moderator or a EVGA.com  Employee.
I am only a  "Game Server Admin"
My posts and are my own and not EVGA's.

Xsile
  • Total Posts : 11
Re: Z20 issues 2023/12/04 08:27:52 (permalink)
frankd3
Xsile

I had two of these keyboards for two different builds. First one after 6-months developed this problem and I threw it away. Most people think it's a driver issue but it's not.
Hooked up the second one and cursed EVGA the whole time.
When the second one started the same thing I finally realized it is caused by the usb connector being loose in the port.
You can try bdary's solution above or what I did. I simply pinched the exposed metal portion of the plug so that it is tight when inserted. Problem solved.
I didn't comment when original op posted because I was still testing my solution.

But, I'd never buy another one even if they stay in business.

I posted a solution similar to bdary's back when I got my replacement keyboard. The difference is that I use a long screw in one of the screw holes of the back case panel and use a zip tie to take the weight of the USB cables off of the USB slots. It seemed to have worked but this is just one of the symptoms and not the root issue with this keyboard. Because mine still keeps doing all the issues that I listed previously. This is just a defective product plain and simple. I used this keyboard on a laptop that has a different orientation for the USB slots and the issue persisted on the laptop as well.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile