Xbox 360 Elite Lasted 4 Years

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
touche
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1432
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 11
Re:Xbox 360 Elite Lasted 3 Years 2010/03/14 16:08:04 (permalink)
Darron

Aufmerksamkeit Microsoft saugt Hund-Bälle

"Attention Microsoft sucks dog balls"

Hahaha, +1!!  Sony's where it's at.

Ok, that aside, my Xbox RRoD'ed for no apparent reason.  We turned it on after a 3 month long no-use period and were greeted with it.  Glad Microsoft offered to repair it for free, even though it was out of warranty.  Make sure you keep the new unit in a well ventated place, as we can't trust Microsoft to get anything right.

EVGA Z270 FTW K
Intel Core i7-7700K
EVGA CLC 280
32GB RAM (4x 8GB EVGA)
EVGA RTX 2080 Gaming
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2
Corsair Obsidian Series 750D HA Edition
eikast
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 708
  • Ribbons : 0
Re:Xbox 360 Elite Lasted 3 Years 2010/03/14 16:19:43 (permalink)
I've had a good experience with MS customer service in the past. They've never asked for proof of purchase or even require me to register the system on their website. They simply just asked me for a SN. First Red ring I had I was under the three year extended warranty, the second time it happened was past 3 years I had sold it to a friend. He brought it back to me and Microsoft fixed it for free.

There was a difference between both experiences. The first time Microsoft sent me a box to ship the xbox back to them, however the second time they just gave me a shipping label. They suck at making reliable consoles but they have GREAT customer service

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=70164
i5 3570K @ 4.5 GHz 1.28V
eVGA Titan X SC 1380 MhZ boost core clock.
Switech MCR140-X Drive
EK Titan X waterblock
16 GB G.Skill 1600 MHz 
MSI Z77a-gd55
Samsung 1TB 840 SSD
1TB 7200 RPM HDD
Logitech G502 
Sennheiser PC 350 SE
Razer BlackWidow Ultimate (Battlefield 4 edition)
Razer Destructor 2 (Battlefield 4 edition)
Asus Xonar Essence Stx
Acer XB280HK
Full Metal Folder
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 483
  • Ribbons : 4
Re:Xbox 360 Elite Lasted 3 Years 2010/03/14 16:29:33 (permalink)
Here dude
Sorry, read some of the horror stories.

http://forums.xbox.com/1/26742514/ShowPost.aspx#26742514
XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
  • Total Posts : 63846
  • Ribbons : 115
Re:Xbox 360 Elite Lasted 3 Years 2010/03/14 20:51:04 (permalink)
touche 

my Xbox RRoD'ed for no apparent reason.  We turned it on after a 3 month long no-use period and were greeted with it.  Glad Microsoft offered to repair it for free, even though it was out of warranty.  Make sure you keep the new unit in a well ventated place, as we can't trust Microsoft to get anything right.

Just to clarify "New Unit". He means the one you sent in for repair, then got that same one back. If the original unit you sent in cannot be repaired, then they will send you a refurbished one. I only use the term "New Unit" as the one that you buy that is still sealed in the box, and has never been used. I probably didn't need to clarify what he said, but sometimes I'm a glutton for punishment. LOL!    

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
fsuwade
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1221
  • Ribbons : 6
Re:Xbox 360 Elite Lasted 3 Years 2010/03/14 21:09:32 (permalink)
kaninja

fsuwade

i just had a surge protector take out my xbox....

I have a question.  Was it just a surge protector, or was it a surge protector with battery back-up?  I'm just curious.

My original Xbox v1.0 is still going strong and it's been used steady since 2001.  It's pretty much been retired for my uses but it now stores all of my daughters movies, and has been modded so the dashboard has a simple interface so she can just scroll through the movies and pick the one she wants to watch.  It's got a 250gb HDD, and a 120mm coolermaster fan that replaced the original......took a little dremel work but I made it fit.

It has been a tank.  I wish Microsoft had made the 360 as robust as the original.  Nobody I know has broken their Xbox........the 360 on the other hand.

no it was a surge protector. and now i  am having a hard time finding a place that will look at it. Belkin wants just some repair place to look at and tell them the value of it and if they could fix it. its out of warr. so i can not send it back at all. i have call ms as well and they will not email me any info on what or where i could take it other then sending it to them. and the funny thing is i am not paying up front to get this repaired if i can pay almost the same price as you would to get one for 199 new. so i hope that i can get this worked out.

but i will be alright i think i hope.

Heatware - fsuwade01

Darron
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2127
  • Ribbons : 5
Re:Xbox 360 Elite Lasted 3 Years 2010/03/14 21:39:19 (permalink)
fsuwade

kaninja

fsuwade

I have a question.  Was it just a surge protector, or was it a surge protector with battery back-up?  I'm just curious.

My original Xbox v1.0 is still going strong and it's been used steady since 2001.  It's pretty much been retired for my uses but it now stores all of my daughters movies, and has been modded so the dashboard has a simple interface so she can just scroll through the movies and pick the one she wants to watch.  It's got a 250gb HDD, and a 120mm coolermaster fan that replaced the original......took a little dremel work but I made it fit.

It has been a tank.  I wish Microsoft had made the 360 as robust as the original.  Nobody I know has broken their Xbox........the 360 on the other hand.

no it was a surge protector. and now i  am having a hard time finding a place that will look at it. Belkin wants just some repair place to look at and tell them the value of it and if they could fix it. its out of warr. so i can not send it back at all. i have call ms as well and they will not email me any info on what or where i could take it other then sending it to them. and the funny thing is i am not paying up front to get this repaired if i can pay almost the same price as you would to get one for 199 new. so i hope that i can get this worked out.

but i will be alright i think i hope.

If you can get that in writting that it cannot be repaired like any insurance claim they will pay you the cost price even if the Xbox is not covered by warranty Belkin if this is the brand has a warranty built into the surge protector. You can send it To microsoft just say its for insurance not warranty and they will except it then give belkin a repair or replacement cost.
The most you should have to pay is postage but belkin should cover that as well.

In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti 

XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
Re:Xbox 360 Elite Lasted 3 Years 2010/03/14 22:00:36 (permalink)
patrick1game

You can try the Xclamp fix I have linked in my sig to my thread when I fixed my Xbox360.  Might work for you Xrayman.  Just youtube a good tutorial on changing out the Xclamps or RRod Fix etc.  My RRoded Xbox360 is now working like the day I bought it.

I did check into that a little bit, but since they are going to fix it at no charge, then I'm all for that. It's already boxed up, and ready to go to the UPS store tomorrow for shipping. Thanks for mentioning it though.    

&nbsp
Darron
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:Xbox 360 Elite Lasted 3 Years 2010/03/14 22:07:44 (permalink)
XrayMan

patrick1game

You can try the Xclamp fix I have linked in my sig to my thread when I fixed my Xbox360.  Might work for you Xrayman.  Just youtube a good tutorial on changing out the Xclamps or RRod Fix etc.  My RRoded Xbox360 is now working like the day I bought it.

I did check into that a little bit, but since they are going to fix it at no charge, then I'm all for that. It's already boxed up, and ready to go to the UPS store tomorrow for shipping. Thanks for mentioning it though.    

If a product suffers from a known issue such as this red ring of death then yes you can always get it fixed outside of warranty periods because technically it was broken the day you purchased it from defective manufacturing processes. Otherwise they would have to do a full recall something they would not see as a cost effective option. I have been told they have warehouses full of these units they salvage parts from to make referb units which is the norm dodgy practice now days.

XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
Re:Xbox 360 Elite Lasted 3 Years 2010/03/14 22:13:27 (permalink)
Darron

because technically it was broken the day you purchased it from defective manufacturing processes.

I never thought of it that way. You are totally correct on that though. Very well said. I think I need to start calling you Mr. Genius!   

&nbsp
kaninja
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7075
  • Ribbons : 25
Re:Xbox 360 Elite Lasted 3 Years 2010/03/14 22:14:26 (permalink)
fsuwade

kaninja

fsuwade

no it was a surge protector.

OK, I had an interesting story I was going to lead into on plugging small electronic devices into the battery back-up side of surge protectors.....but since you didn't it would be too off topic.

Hope you get everything sorted out and get a like new working xbox returned to you.

Corsair 650D   -  i5 3570K @ 4.6GHz  -  Corsair H80i  -  MSI Z77 M-Power  -  16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum
WD 1TB Caviar Black x2  -  OCZ 120GB Vertex2 SSD  -  Corsair HX620  -  GTX285 SSC  -  Samsung T240  -  DIR-655

waltlove_99
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 135
  • Ribbons : 8
Re:Xbox 360 Elite Lasted 3 Years 2010/03/14 22:25:42 (permalink)
My launch day 360 died about 2 months ago... so I did some searching on the net for a fix... I spent all of $1.75 and 30 minutes of my time fixing this very same issue... my 360 has become a part of the family I've had it so long LOL. Plus with all my mods and game library even if I had to purchase a new one it wouldn't have bothered me that much... It's rare that electronics of this type and amount of use last this long. She is doing just fine and we just kicked the Devils butt in Dante's Inferno.

Good luck with your replacement 360... I hear they've been good on fixing this issue, I threw my original case away long ago so sending mine back was a for sure no no.

Bench System:
Haf 932 case (custom painted) - EVGA Classified x58 board (full EK chip block)- Intel i7 920 D0(phase cooled) - 2x Patriot Warp SSD HD's in raid 0 - 6gb Corsair Dominator GT Cas8 - Corsair HX 1000 PSU - EVGA GTX 295's in Quad Sli (EK blocks w/backplates) - Feser Monsta Rad.

Media Center:
Thermaltake DH101 - EVGA x58 micro board - Intel i7 920 D0(water cooled) - Patriot Warp SSD HD - 6gb Corsair Dominator GT Cas8 - Corsair VX550 PSU - EVGA GTX 285 Hydrocopper - Swiftech MCR220 rad - DD D5 pump with EK top.
XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
Re:Xbox 360 Elite Lasted 3 Years 2010/03/14 22:29:38 (permalink)
waltlove_99

Good luck with your replacement 360... I hear they've been good on fixing this issue,

Thanks! I will know how it works again in about 3 weeks, when they send it back to me. I will have another update when I get it back.

&nbsp
Darron
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:Xbox 360 Elite Lasted 3 Years 2010/03/14 22:36:06 (permalink)
XrayMan

Darron

because technically it was broken the day you purchased it from defective manufacturing processes.

I never thought of it that way. You are totally correct on that though. Very well said. I think I need to start calling you Mr. Genius!   

Thanks im just curious before you send it is it registered post or just normal post and if its not registered post then what will you do if it gets lost ??? Might be wise to think about that before you send it it took me 4 weeks to track down a PS3 for this very reason for a customer.

XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
Re:Xbox 360 Elite Lasted 3 Years 2010/03/14 22:51:47 (permalink)
Darron

Thanks im just curious before you send it is it registered post or just normal post and if its not registered post then what will you do if it gets lost ??? Might be wise to think about that before you send it it took me 4 weeks to track down a PS3 for this very reason for a customer.

Ok it went like this. I had to sign into Windows Live. I clicked on repair request. I gave my info to them, and it was approved online. I was given a UPS shipping label to print out on my printer. I did that. There also is a UPS tracking number to go with this. So I can track it with the UPS tracking number that was provided to me. It's also going UPS Ground, as the label states. I also read on their site that it will take 2-3 weeks to be repaired and returned. The repair center is in Mesquite, Texas. That's where it's shipping to.

*Did that answer all the questions? If you have more, then please post it, and I'll try to answer them.

post edited by XrayMan - 2010/03/14 22:53:17

&nbsp
Darron
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:Xbox 360 Elite Lasted 3 Years 2010/03/14 23:09:35 (permalink)
As long as you can track it I think you should be ok 2-3 weeks they will probley just give you a referb unit straight swap out but you should have some sort of limited warranty on the referb say 30 days or more just in case they give you another dodgy unit.
Ok so that should be just about fixed for you  nice to see you got something postive out of a bad situation.

XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
Re:Xbox 360 Elite Lasted 3 Years 2010/03/14 23:11:10 (permalink)
Darron

Ok so that should be just about fixed for you  nice to see you got something postive out of a bad situation.

Thanks Darron! Take it easy!               

&nbsp
NovaKitFox
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 559
  • Ribbons : 2
Re:Xbox 360 Elite Lasted 3 Years 2010/03/14 23:50:30 (permalink)
i'm on my 3'rd unit

I had a launch one work. and it red ringe don me, Replaced it with a used and put a better fan on it.  It died a week before halo 3 (ROAR!!) traded it in (my boss didn't give a hoot about it aftermarket modded for looks and cooling) and gave me 50 bucks off a "defective" halo 3 unit that just had a cracked face plate.  that e 74 bback in december.

got that unit back  xmas eve.

And oh yeah.. My first unit.

Kinda did this to it
{removed by NovaKitFox 3-15-20 }
Just search Wrecked Systems.com on you tube

I removed the video post after remember that the songs i used in the video have some curse words in it... So i wanted to beat a Mod in removing the video
post edited by NovaKitFox - 2010/03/15 00:21:29

Signature Images.. What are those.. and can I eat it?
XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
Re:Xbox 360 Elite Lasted 3 Years 2010/03/18 18:17:07 (permalink)
Darron

As long as you can track it I think you should be ok 2-3 weeks

I tracked it today, and the UPS site say's it's out for delivery. Also forgot to mention that they are paying for the shipping "both ways". Is this great or what?       

&nbsp
fsuwade
FTW Member
Re:Xbox 360 Elite Lasted 3 Years 2010/03/18 19:11:14 (permalink)
yeah it is. i have one in each room so i am not a total lose really but i hope that i will be able to get it taken care of soon.

as far as the rrod i have fixed like 8 of them for friends for about the cost of like 10 bucks but they really dont last.

so my next project will be in the mod rigs to show you and i will post how long it has lasted as well.  you will see some what a cool mod that i am doing.

Heatware - fsuwade01

Osiris454
  • Total Posts : 77
Re:Xbox 360 Elite Lasted 3 Years 2010/03/19 16:03:32 (permalink)
My apologies if this has already been mentioned, but the E74 error has to do with the HDMI chip and/or connector and not overheating. The RROD is 3 red lights 1,3, and 4 and that one is the overheating thing.

I didn't read the whole thread.....

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

New Computer Under Construction....

Final Clocks have yet to be determined as it's not built yet. :(

Intel i7 980X - Watercooled.
ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer - Watercooled.
12Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer (Blue).
3 eVGA GTX-480s SuperClocked in Tri-SLI. (Shipped)
2 50Gb OCZ Vertex Limited Edition SSD's in RAID 0 for OS.
4 1Tb Western Digital RE3's in RAID 10 for Games and OS Cache.
Corsair 800D case.
Silverstone Stryder 1500W
2 Lite-On 24X DVD Burners
Logitech G19 Keyboard
Logitech G9x Mouse
AuzenTech X-Fi Forte Sound Card
Kanti
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4110
Re:Xbox 360 Elite Lasted 3 Years 2010/03/19 17:00:39 (permalink)
Kinda makes you wonder **** is going on with quality control these days.  My NES has lasted over 2 decades and works fine, sure it doesn't play grand theft auto IV, but that's what my PC is for.

Muh 'filiate code: 387JKEF57G
RN@VGA
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 173
  • Ribbons : 0
Re:Xbox 360 Elite Lasted 3 Years 2010/03/19 17:21:31 (permalink)
This is why PC gaming is for the win.
XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
Re:Xbox 360 Elite Lasted 3 Years 2010/03/19 23:05:51 (permalink)
Osiris454

My apologies if this has already been mentioned, but the E74 error has to do with the HDMI chip and/or connector and not overheating. The RROD is 3 red lights 1,3, and 4 and that one is the overheating thing.

I didn't read the whole thread.....

I had 1 red light in the lower right corner.

&nbsp
Darron
CLASSIFIED Member
Re:Xbox 360 Elite Lasted 3 Years 2010/03/20 15:12:12 (permalink)
XrayMan

Darron

As long as you can track it I think you should be ok 2-3 weeks

I tracked it today, and the UPS site say's it's out for delivery. Also forgot to mention that they are paying for the shipping "both ways". Is this great or what?       

Hi XrayMan,
Its great to hear Xbox is paying for the shipping (Pitty EVGA doesn't do the same)

I found some information you might like to read
http://games.venturebeat....sed-xbox-360-consoles/
When you get your new box ask if its a Jasper or the older falcon based unit ... if its a falcon you may have red ring of death problems in future unless the heatsink has been modified from the original design. It may or may not be easy to get that info it depends on who you talk to but if they say "oh I don't know" say oh thats ok I can wait on hold  till you find out...

If you want to know why thats an important question to ask you might want to read this
http://www.crn.com.au/New...x-360-repair-bill.aspx

And if you really want to know why this has all happened in the first place the reason is here
http://www.eetimes.com/ne...HA?articleID=208403010
post edited by Darron - 2010/03/20 15:30:48

XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
Re:Xbox 360 Elite Lasted 3 Years 2010/03/20 22:05:08 (permalink)
Darron

Hi XrayMan,
Its great to hear Xbox is paying for the shipping (Pitty EVGA doesn't do the same)

http://games.venturebeat.com/2008/11/28/microsoft-finally-addresses-red-ring-of-death-with-jasper-based-xbox-360-consoles/
When you get your new box ask if its a Jasper or the older falcon based unit ... if its a falcon you may have red ring of death problems in future unless the heatsink has been modified from the original design. It may or may not be easy to get that info it depends on who you talk to but if they say "oh I don't know" say oh thats ok I can wait on hold  till you find out...

If you want to know why thats an important question to ask you might want to read this
http://www.crn.com.au/News/85600,microsoft-facing-us115bn-xbox-360-repair-bill.aspx

And if you really want to know why this has all happened in the first place the reason is here
http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=51TYZYXYRWUZUQSNDLSCKHA?articleID=208403010

If they just fix a part inside the 360, then I will just be getting my original back. If they do give me a replacement, then I can try and find out if it's Jasper or Falcon. One more thing, I think my 360 is already a Jasper. If I remember right, when I bought it, I was making sure it was the Jasper. I could be wrong.

&nbsp
Porpoise Hork
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4672
  • Ribbons : 17
Re:Xbox 360 Elite Lasted 3 Years 2010/03/20 22:41:01 (permalink)
NovaKitFox

i'm on my 3'rd unit

I had a launch one work. and it red ringe don me, Replaced it with a used and put a better fan on it.  It died a week before halo 3 (ROAR!!) traded it in (my boss didn't give a hoot about it aftermarket modded for looks and cooling) and gave me 50 bucks off a "defective" halo 3 unit that just had a cracked face plate.  that e 74 bback in december.

3rd.. pfft amature... i just sent my 7th one in for rrod failure.. yes i said 7th.     

here's the run down.

launch 360 lasted 3 months started overheating/freezing. then rrod
2nd lasted 2 weeks suffered constant freezing (gpu failed)
3rd lasted 6 months rrod while watching a dvd... yes a dvd.
4th lasted 5 months dvd drive died (MS increased full warranty coverage to 5 years for free)
5th lasted 4 days turned it on ate a game then got a rrod (M$ also requested old power brick, replaced with new one)
6th lasted 2 years overheated actually started smoking then went rrod (best one overall but prolly only had 2 months worth of play time on it.. ps3)
7th lasted 2 months overheated, now the cooling fan sounds like a dentist drill then got the E74 code. unplugged it left sit for a month got it working then 3 days later rrod.. 
currently waiting on the return of my 8th 360.. 

no my 360 isnt in a cabinet it gets plenty of airflow. the one that ate the game was just sitting there paused i got up went into the other room and heard this loud scraping noise went to check and it was comming from the 360. i ejected the disk and it had a 1/4 wide gouge in the center of the disk.   it sits on a flat surface and never moves..

number of failed ps3's.... zero..  none.. not a sausage.. bugger all..

moral of the story  do propper R&D BEFORE you release a product to the public..  make damn sure you got it right first.. dont just try to beat the competition to market only to have it come back and bite you in the butt later.
post edited by Porpoise Hork - 2010/03/20 22:44:40
fsuwade
FTW Member
Re:Xbox 360 Elite Lasted 3 Years 2010/03/20 22:57:31 (permalink)

here is what i had to do and will be posted in the mod rigs by tomarrow.

Heatware - fsuwade01

XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
Re:Xbox 360 Elite Lasted 3 Years 2010/03/21 09:39:17 (permalink)
Just checked my email, and they say they received it, and are repairing it.        

&nbsp
D.M.W.T
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1012
Re:Xbox 360 Elite Lasted 3 Years 2010/03/21 09:49:58 (permalink)
XrayMan

Darron

Hi XrayMan,

http://games.venturebeat.com/2008/11/28/microsoft-finally-addresses-red-ring-of-death-with-jasper-based-xbox-360-consoles/

http://www.crn.com.au/News/85600,microsoft-facing-us115bn-xbox-360-repair-bill.aspx

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=51TYZYXYRWUZUQSNDLSCKHA?articleID=208403010

If they just fix a part inside the 360, then I will just be getting my original back. If they do give me a replacement, then I can try and find out if it's Jasper or Falcon. One more thing, I think my 360 is already a Jasper. If I remember right, when I bought it, I was making sure it was the Jasper. I could be wrong.

If yours has a manufacture date of 10/23/08 or newer then its got a Jasper. If 10/22/08 or older its a falcon. Date should be on the serial number sticker.
XrayMan
Insert Custom Title Here
Re:Xbox 360 Elite Lasted 3 Years 2010/03/21 10:20:08 (permalink)
D.M.W.T

XrayMan

Darron

Hi XrayMan,

If yours has a manufacture date of 10/23/08 or newer then its got a Jasper. If 10/22/08 or older its a falcon. Date should be on the serial number sticker.

Thanks! I'll look at the date when I get it back, unless I wrote it down some where.

&nbsp
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile