Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
jmaster299
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 107
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 2
2017/07/06 03:45:55 (permalink)
Just updated to 6.1.10 to fix the issues with the OSD turning on by itself, even the updated OSD is complete garbage, but now the Power/VRM fan on my 1080 FTW2 is ignoring the custom fan curve I have set for it. I wouldn't even have Precision installed if I didn't need it to get the Power/VRM fan to follow the fan curve I have set for the GPU fan. But despite both curves being the same, and the little "Link" chain icon being connected, the Power/VRM fan keeps slowing down to it's default fan curve. Ignoring the 30% at idle fan curve I have set for both fans.

Even opening the Curve options and clicking "OK" to "set" the curve" doesn't correct it. I have to click the little "P" under the slider for the Power/VRM fan in the main Precision window for the fan to react properly. I've included a screenshot of what it should look like so you can see my settings. I'm not sure what triggers it to ignore my fan curve, but the next time it does I'll grab a screenshot of that too. Normally I have the little "G" selected so the main display shows the RPM for the GPU. It shouldn't really matter, but for some reason the RPM on my Power/VRM fan has always been odd, not actually matching the GPU fan and jumping up and down in large 30rpm or more increments every second.

Edit:
It is ignoring the curve under load as well. And that is a VERY serious issue. I could not screenshot it during my testing, running a Superposition benchmark. But as the temps increased during the benchmarks my GPU fan speeds kept increasing to match the fan curve, but the Power/VRM fan did not. Clicking the little "P" icon after the test did cause the fan speed to jump up and match the curve based on the temp the card was still recovering from after the test. 

But now as I sit here typing this, with the "P" icon selected, now the GPU fan speeds are not dropping to match the fan curve as they should as the temps come down. I have included a screenshot of that now too. As you can see, the Power and Memory temps are both higher than the GPU temps in the screenshot, yet the fan speed for the Power/VRM fan is lower. That is as it should be in this case, my fan curve is set for a 30% fan speed at 30c. Not increasing until 45c, at which point both fans should increase to 45%. My curve follows that same correlation between speed and temp every 10 degrees after that. 55% at 55c, 65% at 65c, and so on. It's the same fan curve I've used for years.

So despite the GPU temp being below 45c, the GPU fan speed has not dropped below 45% still. I do not have any hysteresis set that would cause that. As soon as I click the little "G" icon, the fan reacts as it should, dropping it's speed down to 30%. So it seems, despite me using Precision to be able to set a fan curve special for my iCX card, it's a complete waste of time. Afterburner with RivaTurner are a thousand times better for their monitoring and OSD. Even setting up the fan curve is slightly better as the window isn't tiny. But I took the time to install Precision because the new iCX cooler design requires that I do so if I want the second fan to perform the most basic task of following the EXACT same fan curve as the first fan.

But no matter what I do, Precision will only follow one fna curve at a time, based on whether I have the "G" or the "P" selected underneath the sliders for the fan speeds. Again, as you can see in the picture, the little chain link is connected, telling the two fans to work together. But even then that should be required. If I set a fan curve for each fan, those fans should respect those curves.

Edit 2:
Downgrading to version 6.1.8 fixed this problem. Though now that I think about that, I probably should have gone back to 6.1.6, as that's what I had before and I know that was more stable than 6.1.8. You are going to be hard pressed to find someone who is a bigger EVGA fanboy than I am. I have literally never purchased a GPU from any other company, ever, going all the way back to my first GPU, an 8800 GT that I purchased nearly 10 years ago. I've also purchased your Killer network card, though that didn't work as advertised, and now I've expanded my EVGA brand ownership to a power supply and AiO. I am exactly the kind of loyal customer a company wants, but your software just straight up sucks.

Every update to Precision to fix one problem breaks something else. And it's been what, 3 years now since you refused to play fair with the dude who makes RivaTuner? Has to be at least 3 years. Yet you still can't give us an OSD take actually works and doesn't look terrible. After updating to 6.1.10 I tried one more time to give your OSD a chance, couldn't even get it to show up in WoW. The damn menu for setting it up is like something out of the 90's AOL dial up days of the Internet. Even if someone designed it for you for free you overpaid. But it's terrible looking and terrible to use menu doesn't matter much when it doesn't work in the games I play. I spent 15 minutes trying to get it to show up in WoW with no such luck. 

And WoW is a game that I know that it should work in. Yet it wasn't working this time. Didn't even bother trying it in Overwatch, as your OSD has never supported Overwatch in the past. If it was going to support a decade old game that it used to support, figured it wouldn't support a 1 year old game that it's never supported.

I'll continue to buy your products, but you either need to get your act together and stop giving us garbage software. Or, better yet, provide as a bios update to your iCX cards that ties the speed of the Power/VRM fan to the GPU fan by default. That way we can use the fan curve, monitoring and OSD software of our choice. With that bios people who want to can still use Precision to give the Power/VRM fan an independent fan curve. But it needs to default to be locked to the GPU fan so we aren't forced to use Precision. Since you don't seem to have any intention on giving us quality software any time soon.

Edit 3:
I am on Nvidia drivers 382.53, but that should have zero impact on what I, and others, am experiencing. As a rule I generally don't update my GPU drivers unless there is something in those drivers specific to a game I play. I'm also on Win10 Home 64bit, if that matters for testing. I've also since rolled all the way back to 6.1.6 to avoid the OSD issues of 6.1.8. Much like with rolling back to 6.1.8, the fans behave correctly when using 6.1.6.

*Side note, clock speed is high at idle like that due to a known bug with Pascal cards and high refresh rate monitors mixed with low refresh rate monitors in a multi monitor set ups. I have a 144Hz monitor I game on and an older 60Hz monitor that I watch Netflix and stuff on while I game. If I take the time to lower the refresh rate via the Nvidia Control panel while out of game, my clock speed will drop to about 255MHz. I didn't bother with it for the purpose of making this post as I was going in and out of games testing updated software.
post edited by jmaster299 - 2017/07/06 17:16:17

Attached Image(s)

Cooler Master H500P | i7 8700K@5GHz | CLC 280 | Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR4@3000MHz | EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 | Samsung EVO 960 500GB | Samsung EVO 850 500GB | WD Black 2TB | AOC G2460PF 144Hz
Previously owned EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, EVGA 970 SC, EVGA 670 FTW Sig2, EVGA 570 HD, EVGA 8800 GT and EVGA Killer Xeno Pro. 
EVGA CLC 280 and EVGA Supernova 750w G3 purchased and waiting for install in new build.
Look at my join date and ownership history before you try telling me I'm not a real fan of EVGA. I even bought the damn hat.
d4rthdan
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/06 09:39:17 (permalink)
I can confirm I have the same exact issue with 6.1.10 and had to return to 6.1.8, the Power fan was not starting up when a curve was defined.
Potential serious issue if a user is distracted and temps keep rising, would be ideal to remove the download for now.

EVGA 1070 SC2
4790k / Asus z87-a 
Windows 10 x64

Did reinstall latest nvidia drivers using DDU, also attempted to remove 6.1.10 + folders + registry entries. Issue would still occur.

Edit: Gave a quick call to report to customer support as this is somewhat of a serious issue. Hopefully it'll get addressed on short term.
post edited by d4rthdan - 2017/07/06 09:49:54
sn4k3 1971
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/06 09:49:15 (permalink)
same here had to go back to 6.1.8
BrandonS
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 678
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/06 10:01:16 (permalink)
I was unable to reproduce this problem, but I did find that the fan curve window had to be closed in order to apply. It's possible that this is what's causing the issue. Please try this and let me know if you still experience the same problem. 
d4rthdan
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/06 10:04:18 (permalink)
Thanks for the reply, I did not keep it open, only noticed through a game of BF1 that it was at 0% speed(Have the same curve for both fans). I'll reinstall it later and give it another try.
d4rthdan
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/06 10:10:08 (permalink)
EVGATech_BrandonS
I was unable to reproduce this problem, but I did find that the fan curve window had to be closed in order to apply. It's possible that this is what's causing the issue. Please try this and let me know if you still experience the same problem. 

I am able to reproduce the issue, let me know if you need any diagnostics collected.

Edit:
Behavior observed:
Only the selected Fan (G or P) will respect the Curve set for it, the other will stay at the speed it was previously indefinitely. After boot the speed is 0, as such one of the fans, by default G is selected, will remain at 0% indefinitely till we select it or switch it to manual and update accordingly, this is a pretty serious issue as it will definitely cause high temps on whoever faces this bug and does not notice it

Had 3dmark running, speed only updated to which one I had selected, once temps came down only the selected one came down as well.
post edited by d4rthdan - 2017/07/07 02:56:43
PHiLiPZ
  • Total Posts : 21
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/06 14:25:12 (permalink)
1080ti ftw3 amd custom curves are working
the 6.1.10 did update the firmware of the fans' control units for me
jmaster299
Superclocked Member
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/06 15:29:48 (permalink)
d4rthdan
EVGATech_BrandonS

I am able to reproduce the issue, let me know if you need any diagnostics collected.

Edit:
Behavior observed:
Only the selected Fan (G or P) will respect the Curve set for it, the other will stay at the speed it was previously indefinitely. After boot the speed is 0, as such one of the fans, by default G is selected, will remain at 0% indefinitely till we select it or switch it to manual and update accordingly, this is a pretty serious issue as it will no definitely cause high temps on whoever faces this bug and does not notice it

Had 3dmark running, speed only updated to which one I had selected, once temps came down only the selected one came down as well.

Can confirm this reported behavior 100%. I never had the fan curve window during any testing as Brandon tried to claim was the issue. Have little doubt Brandon was testing the wrong version of Precision or is failing to replicate some other condition us users are reporting.

Just as d4rthdan reported, and I reported in my original post, the only fan that respects the fan curve is the fan that is selected via the little "G" or "P" in the main Precision window under the fan speed sliders and above where it shows the rpm of the selected fan.

Clicking between the "G" and "P" will cause the respective fan to start responding while the previous fan stay locked at whatever rpm it was at when it was unselected.

This is most critical upon system start up as the "G" is selected by default and the "P" will default to it's "off" state at idle and will remain off no matter how hot the card gets. Unless of course the user manually adjust it.

Selecting the "P" fan of course, and as stated before, causes the "G" fan to stop responding and will stay locked at the rpm it was currently running at when you switched between the G and the P.

I'll update my post with the driver I'm using when I'm at home, but that should be irelavent to this issue. Any additional testing needs to be done with a 1080 FTW2 specifically. Not a 1070, not a 1080 FTW3, replicate the conditions correctly to try and replicate the results. You know, proper testing methodology.

The issue occurred both with synthetic benchmarks, Superposition, and in normal games like WoW. It even occurred while idle and not in any game. I will not receive stall dangerous software to provide things like video. Screenshots are proof enough.

Cooler Master H500P | i7 8700K@5GHz | CLC 280 | Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR4@3000MHz | EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2 | Samsung EVO 960 500GB | Samsung EVO 850 500GB | WD Black 2TB | AOC G2460PF 144Hz
Previously owned EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, EVGA 970 SC, EVGA 670 FTW Sig2, EVGA 570 HD, EVGA 8800 GT and EVGA Killer Xeno Pro. 
EVGA CLC 280 and EVGA Supernova 750w G3 purchased and waiting for install in new build.
Look at my join date and ownership history before you try telling me I'm not a real fan of EVGA. I even bought the damn hat.
Qba73
  • Total Posts : 36
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/06 15:57:09 (permalink)
I can confirm on my FTW3 fan curves are buggy, I set aggressive and only one fan responds the other 2 stay min rpm never going even up even at load.

serves me right for jumping on 6.1.10 and not reading first.. going back to 6.1.6 before the osd flakiness of 6.1.8 and fan issue of 6.1.10

I can confirm that 6.1.10 fixed the OSD random turn on but the fans are wacky now, even turned off system unplugged for 5 mins after the fan firmware update still wonky.

back to 6.1.6 all is back to normal
jmaster299
Superclocked Member
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/06 16:49:18 (permalink)
Qba73
I can confirm on my FTW3 fan curves are buggy, I set aggressive and only one fan responds the other 2 stay min rpm never going even up even at load.

serves me right for jumping on 6.1.10 and not reading first.. going back to 6.1.6 before the osd flakiness of 6.1.8 and fan issue of 6.1.10

I can confirm that 6.1.10 fixed the OSD random turn on but the fans are wacky now, even turned off system unplugged for 5 mins after the fan firmware update still wonky.

back to 6.1.6 all is back to normal

Yeah, downgrading all the way to 6.1.6 myself. It's what I should have done in the first place, I never had 6.1.8 installed and went from 6.1.6 to 6.1.10. But now I have the OSD turning on all the time.

sludgeface
  • Total Posts : 4
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/06 19:48:02 (permalink)
I am experiencing the same issue; I have to manually click the specific fan control for it to kick in.

Ya know, I'm not one to rantpost about stuff like this, but I recently moved over to EVGA from another card manufacturer who I have been with for years on the recommendation of a friend. I'm really surprised at how kludgey the card support software is. Or is this just a blip? The previous manufacturer always had solid software to go with their hardware, I never experienced anything like I have with this XOC software.

Regardless, here I am now, so here's to a solid and stable 6.1.11? 
jmaster299
Superclocked Member
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/06 23:45:13 (permalink)
sludgeface
I am experiencing the same issue; I have to manually click the specific fan control for it to kick in.

Ya know, I'm not one to rantpost about stuff like this, but I recently moved over to EVGA from another card manufacturer who I have been with for years on the recommendation of a friend. I'm really surprised at how kludgey the card support software is. Or is this just a blip? The previous manufacturer always had solid software to go with their hardware, I never experienced anything like I have with this XOC software.

Regardless, here I am now, so here's to a solid and stable 6.1.11? 

EVGA makes great products, and Precision used to be great too, but Precision took a drive off a cliff in terms of quality when they parted ways with the guy who makes RivaTuner. I don't know if Afterburner or Precision came first, I think Afterburner may have been around first, but I personally used Precision years and years ago with no problems. For all practical purposes, it was functionally identical to Afterburner, the only difference was the appearance skin for the main application.

Then the guy who makes RivaTuner, per my understanding of the situation, demanded money from companies like EVGA if they wanted their version of the program to be updated to support DX12 titles for the OSD. EVGA tried adding that support in themselves, allegedly taking the code directly from Afterburner that had been updated to support it, and putting it into Precision themselves. EVGA denied this, saying the code was their own, but the menus and everything else still looked the same.

So Precision was then rebuilt from the ground up all in house, removing any and all possible code that the creator of RivaTuner could possibly try and claim was his. And Precision has sadly being a hot mess ever since. Despite being an extremely loyal EVGA customer, to the point where I'd legit get an EVGA tattoo if all my money wasn't spent on my computer, I've had Precision since that day and have avoided it at all costs. I've tried it out on occasion over the last couple of years, and never liked it, especially the OSD, the way you set up that OSD, the fact that the OSD doesn't support 90% of the games on the market, and the constant bugs.

The only reason I'm using it now is because they made the anti consumer decision of forcing iCX card owners into using it if they want anything other than the factory default fan curve on the non GPU fans. They couldn't be bothered to put a few lines of code into the bios that sets the second or third fans to sync themselves to the GPU fan by default. Thus allowing people to use other programs, like Afterburner, to set custom fan curves. Yes the Power/VRM fan would be locked to whatever the GPU fan is set to, and it won't be taking full advantage of the iCX cooler, but at least the customer would have the choice.

I only bought a FTW2 model card because EVGA overclocked the memory higher than the original FTW model cards. Something they said wouldn't happen when the FTW2 was originally announced, it was supposed to have the same performance as the original FTW. And it was only because this specific card was on sale for less than the old FTW model was selling for. So I got the slightly faster card for less money. Otherwise I would have avoided the FTW2 version so I could avoid using Precision.

So far I've been using both Precision and Afterburner. Precision to set my fan curve and Afterburner for my OSD. So long as you don't have fan control enabled in both, and so long as you don't mess with overclocking the card in both, it shouldn't ever create a conflict. But I'm still upset that I'm being forced to use Precision when Precision is still, IMO, such garbage. They need to evaluate the people they have working for them, because plenty of users are running into this problem, yet their own techs claim they can't replicate the issue. That, combined with every single new version of Precision breaking something that wasn't previously broken, indicates they need to look elsewhere for talent.

If they really cared, they'd go back to the guy who makes RivaTuner, mend that bridge, and give us our old Precision back. That dude who makes RivaTuner isn't blameless, he talks about open source software out one side of his mouth while at the same time talking about suing AiBs for a lack of royalty payment out the other. I don't begrudge the guy wanting to get paid for his work, he pulled a dick move holding DX12 support hostage for lack of payment after previously allowing his software to be used for free.

My suggestion to you for right now is to run version 6.1.6. And in all honesty there is no reason to update past that. Just install Afterburner with RivaTuner for a much better OSD. Just make sure not to enable automatic fan control or set any sort of overclock or mess with other settings. Just use it to set up your monitoring and OSD.

herr_barus
  • Total Posts : 40
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/07 03:59:53 (permalink)
On Win 7 x64 and 1080 Ti FTW3 it seems, P+M-fan sliders are not showing the real rpm or do not update correctly. If you select the corresponding fan, the slider and number updates immediately to the value which is showing in the graphs. 

post edited by herr_barus - 2017/07/07 09:35:49
sn4k3 1971
  • Total Posts : 3
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/07 08:31:06 (permalink)
@Qba73
same problem for my
badbob117
  • Total Posts : 15
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/07 15:13:34 (permalink)
Same problem for my 1080ti ftw 3. 

Fans are buggy as all heck . Aggressive fan profile only seems to control the first g fan. others won't move. It actually will not even let me select a custom profile. Just keeps reverting back to whatever the heck its set at in this new update.

going back to last working version. this one is FUBAR! 

---edit. Went back to last working version and all is fine.  Although luckily i had it saved on my external hard drive because non of the links to older version actually worked... :x 
post edited by badbob117 - 2017/07/07 15:30:55
jmaster299
Superclocked Member
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/08 02:23:34 (permalink)
badbob117
Same problem for my 1080ti ftw 3. 

Fans are buggy as all heck . Aggressive fan profile only seems to control the first g fan. others won't move. It actually will not even let me select a custom profile. Just keeps reverting back to whatever the heck its set at in this new update.

going back to last working version. this one is FUBAR! 

---edit. Went back to last working version and all is fine.  Although luckily i had it saved on my external hard drive because non of the links to older version actually worked... :x 

I've had no trouble downloading older versions since first reporting this.

Super pissed we've received no response since Tech Brandon reported he couldn't replicate it when he failed to test it properly.

d4rthdan
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/08 05:59:05 (permalink)
I have to agree, while I do not want to deviate from the focus of reporting a very serious issue and turn this into a general software/support feedback at this point I would've expected a better response. I took time and spent money on an international call to their support to report this. (No complaint on whoever took the call, was polite and I did not have to wait in queue. Was a good experience call wise.)

A reasonable and responsible response would've been to pull the 6.1.10 version till this is investigated since the potential impact of something going wrong with a fan at 0% independently of temperature is rather troublesome, while the cards are under warranty that is by no means a compensation of the trouble people can have if the cards overheat, the worries it creates and time spent while the warranty process takes place. Lets keep in mind that these cards are by no means cheap by nature and many don't have a replacement handy.

Thank you,
Daniel
post edited by d4rthdan - 2017/07/08 06:06:46
herr_barus
  • Total Posts : 40
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/08 06:42:14 (permalink)
Is it really 0 rpm? Did you check the fans or did you only judge from the readings of the slider?
pstlouis
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 322
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/08 06:55:20 (permalink)
windows 10 pro 64 bits version 1703 build 15063.447
EVGA GTX1080Ti SC2.

The 6.1.10 doesn't control the power fan properly. When I test with Heaven the power rpm fan in osd show me a value of 3300 rpm. When I quit the software the slider of the fan goes to 0 rpm.
Temp are high for the power/mem section. Have to move the slider to have the fan to start. With the 6.1.8 the power fan work ok and the slider show us the proper value of the rpm speed.
post edited by pstlouis - 2017/07/08 07:00:52
d4rthdan
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/08 07:46:45 (permalink)
herr_barus
Is it really 0 rpm? Did you check the fans or did you only judge from the readings of the slider?

I can tell you it is effectively not spinning.

The behavior is that at boot till Precision X loads up, the fans are at 0%. As such, since Power/VRM fan does not respect the curve set for it, it will remain at 0%. 
- If you update it manually and set it back to auto, then select the GPU fan again. It will stay at whatever speed you set for it independently of the curve/temperature.

To sum it up, only one of the fans will react to the curve at all times, the other fan will stay at whatever speed it was previously. At boot that speed would be 0%.

post edited by d4rthdan - 2017/07/08 07:56:15
CSaintD
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/08 16:13:00 (permalink)
Same problem here.  Playing a game and the fans were dead silent because they weren't spinning (my fan curve is 0% fan until the GPU or VRMs hit 60 degrees, then they individually ramp up).  Then a fan would "burst" into activity for a couple of seconds, and then stop for about a minute.  Checked PrecisionX 6.1.10.  My GPU temps were fine (40s), but the VRM temps were at the upper 70s (one at 79 degrees).  The G was lit for the fans to display, so it looks like PrecisionX wasn't even noticing the high temps on the VRMs.  This is not good.
post edited by CSaintD - 2017/07/09 11:01:24
jmaster299
Superclocked Member
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/09 02:50:25 (permalink)
herr_barus

We can tell it's not spinning based on the temps climbing into dangerous territory. Like most other GPU manufactures these days, EVGA employs a "silent" 0rpm stock fan profile at idle. The fans won't start spinning until the temps reach about 50c. I personally don't like my fans never to spin, so have them set to default to 30% fan speed at idle. When using 6.1.10, the "G" fan is selected by default when the program loads for reporting purposes on that main screen, so only that fan will respect any fan curve, custom or stock. Under load, even when the Power sensor starts reporting temps as high as 70c, the "P" fan never starts spinning. 70c is as high as I felt comfortable letting the Power sensor reaching, though I know it can technically handle higher temps. But had I not switched, it would have just burned itself out and bricked my card. Which, due to EVGA refusing to stand behind their software, would have left me SoL with a dead card. They stopped honoring RMA's due to Precision killing their cards when Precision was doing exactly that, killing a bunch of cards, a couple of years ago.

So not only is it ignoring custom fan curves, it's even ignoring the default factory fan curve that should kick that fan on at about 50c. Once you click on the "P" icon, the Power fan RPM will jump up based on the selected fan curve, either custom or factory default. But then the "G" card will stay locked at whatever RPM it was at when you selected the "P" fan. The "G" fan RPM will not increase or decrease, based on any fan curve, so long as the "P" fan is selected. And after all of that, the extensive reporting from players and the fact that they don't honor RMA's when Precision kills cards, is a big reason I'm so pissed about their refusal to take this more seriously.

They are forcing me to use Precision by not giving me a valid bios that locks the Power fan to the GPU fan, which would allow me to use a more stable program like Afterburner. Yet every version of Precision has some new crippling bug, and an OSD that looks like it was designed by a toddler. They either need to give me a valid bios so I can stop using Precision, or fire the people that have so far worked on Precision and get some competent coders to give us stable software and a quality OSD. 

post edited by jmaster299 - 2017/07/09 02:54:08

pstlouis
iCX Member
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/09 05:48:04 (permalink)
jmaster299
herr_barus

We can tell it's not spinning based on the temps climbing into dangerous territory. Like most other GPU manufactures these days, EVGA employs a "silent" 0rpm stock fan profile at idle. The fans won't start spinning until the temps reach about 50c. I personally don't like my fans never to spin, so have them set to default to 30% fan speed at idle. When using 6.1.10, the "G" fan is selected by default when the program loads for reporting purposes on that main screen, so only that fan will respect any fan curve, custom or stock. Under load, even when the Power sensor starts reporting temps as high as 70c, the "P" fan never starts spinning. 70c is as high as I felt comfortable letting the Power sensor reaching, though I know it can technically handle higher temps. But had I not switched, it would have just burned itself out and bricked my card. Which, due to EVGA refusing to stand behind their software, would have left me SoL with a dead card. They stopped honoring RMA's due to Precision killing their cards when Precision was doing exactly that, killing a bunch of cards, a couple of years ago.

So not only is it ignoring custom fan curves, it's even ignoring the default factory fan curve that should kick that fan on at about 50c. Once you click on the "P" icon, the Power fan RPM will jump up based on the selected fan curve, either custom or factory default. But then the "G" card will stay locked at whatever RPM it was at when you selected the "P" fan. The "G" fan RPM will not increase or decrease, based on any fan curve, so long as the "P" fan is selected. And after all of that, the extensive reporting from players and the fact that they don't honor RMA's when Precision kills cards, is a big reason I'm so pissed about their refusal to take this more seriously.

They are forcing me to use Precision by not giving me a valid bios that locks the Power fan to the GPU fan, which would allow me to use a more stable program like Afterburner. Yet every version of Precision has some new crippling bug, and an OSD that looks like it was designed by a toddler. They either need to give me a valid bios so I can stop using Precision, or fire the people that have so far worked on Precision and get some competent coders to give us stable software and a quality OSD. 

I think that you will be more happy to buy your video card from another manufacturer. EVGA give a very good customer services and their video card are of very good quality. Precision is not perfect but the 6.1.8 work ok for me. 
d4rthdan
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/09 06:04:23 (permalink)
pstlouis
jmaster299
herr_barus

I think that you will be more happy to buy your video card from another manufacturer. EVGA give a very good customer services and their video card are of very good quality. Precision is not perfect but the 6.1.8 work ok for me. 

I do agree regarding customer support, I'm just surprised that this issue with a high potential to be harmful has had little answer so far. I do hope we do get a proper update on this.
jmaster299
Superclocked Member
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/09 06:14:55 (permalink)
No, I'm pissed because I've always exclusively been an EVGA customer. You would know that if you read more than one post. I know more about EVGA and Precision then you could ever hope to dream of knowing.

To sum up, again, the sort of loyal customer I am, my EVGA purchases date back nearly a decade. The first dedicated GPU i ever purchased was an EVGA 8800 GT. Since then, in the two gaming PCs I've built in that time, I've owned a 570 HD, 670 FTW Sig2, 970 SC, 1070 FTW and currently own a 1080 FTW2. That 1080 FTW2, along with the CLC 280 and Supernova 750w G3 I recently purchased, will be going into a new build that I am currently waiting on a specific case to be released for. Oh, I also own an EVGA hat.

I even purchased one of the EVGA Killer network cards years ago, though that was returned for not working as advertised. It doubled my ping in every game I played.

So don't tell.me I'd be happier with another company. I want the company I love to stop putting out bad software and I want the company I love to stop ignoring issues like this one that can lead to bricked cards.

Had you bothered to read my other posts, not only would you know I'm a bigger EVGA customer than you'll ever be, you'd also k.ow that Precision didn't used to be a steaming pile of junk. It used to be a great program, and I used it for many years.

It was only after that brought the development fully in house, after the fallout with the maker if RivaTuner, that Precision fell off a cliff. It was litterally bricking cards when they first released it in their own, hence the anti consumer disclaimer you have to agree to in order to use it now.

It would be one thing for them to deny RMAs for people who fry their cards due to bad over clocks, that's a normal reason to deny an RMA. But it's EVGA's policy to deny any RMA related to any issue caused by Precision. Simply by installing their in house software, you have to agree that if their software sets you card in fire, they won't replace it. Even if you don't change a single setting with in Precision, simply installing it, and it ruining your card means they won't replace it.

And that brings us to our current situation, where we have yet another Precision release that is breaking cards. If people don't catch that Precision is preventing certain fans from spinning, they're going to have cards catching fire again.

And the ONLY response we've received to this issue is an incompetent tech claiming he can't replicate the problem. So my next option will be to try and get the industry bloggers to raise a stink about it. So hopefully the bad press will light a fire under someone at EVGA to actually do something about this.

Just rolling back to 6.1.8, as you suggest, is not a valid option, since 6.1.10 was released to fix the bug in that version where the OSD enables on its own. Something that 99.99999% of Precision users don't want, because the OSD is complete crap.
post edited by rjohnson11 - 2017/07/09 22:38:58

pstlouis
iCX Member
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/09 06:59:07 (permalink)
I noticed jmaster299 that you are a new member ! Why you said that you are a EVGA fan boy ? We have to be constructive and send proper info about the problem that we encounter not just trolling. EVGA always respect their RMA and Jacob do a great work in the forum and he take note about the bug we encounter. I doesn't have any issues with the 6.1.8. I had some
problems with Afterburner and the progrmmer doesn't want to have the option to have 2 fan curve for our video card. He is not interested to implement in is software that option. That why i use Precision. You will better be more HAPPY with another manufacturer then EVGA.  
d4rthdan
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/09 07:00:32 (permalink)
pstlouis
I noticed jmaster299 that you are a new member ! Why you said that you are a EVGA fan boy ? We have to be constructive and send proper info about the problem that we encounter not just trolling. EVGA always respect their RMA and Jacob do a great work in the forum and he take note about the bug we encounter. I doesn't have any issues with the 6.1.8. I had some
problems with Afterburner and the progrmmer doesn't want to have the option to have 2 fan curve for our video card. He is not interested to implement in is software that option. That why i use Precision.   

Lets not get lost on what matters here, but if you want to be that picky. He's got an account here since 2008, new member is just possibly due to number of posts, not time.

Please focus on the actual issue, this will get us nowhere.
jmaster299
Superclocked Member
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/09 17:22:34 (permalink)
pstlouis
problems with Afterburner and the progrmmer doesn't want to have the option to have 2 fan curve for our video card. He is not interested to implement in is software that option. That why i use Precision. You will better be more HAPPY with another manufacturer then EVGA.  

"New Member" Take a look at my join date genious, says 2008. Why the forums list me as a new member, after nearly a decade, is not my fault. I was constructive, I did send proper info about the problem I am encountering. I have never trolled, ever, in any post here. Me shutting down the actual trolls, such as people like you who want to claim someone who has a jon date of 2008 is a "new member" and therefore has no right to speak, doesn't make me the troll.

I provided a lengthy and detailed original post, and several other people have posted confirming they are experiencing the same exact issue I am. Yet the only official response we received was from an incompetent tech who failed to replicate the conditions properly. Me calling him out for his incompetence does not make me a troll, it makes me a pissed off customer.

I've actually been a member of these forums longer than you have, with my join date of February 13th, 2008. Compared to your October 24th, 2008 join date. I'm just not very active on these forums. I typically only post here when I have an issue with something or need help specifically regarding an EVGA product. So don't you dare try to dismiss what I'm saying because I'm tagged as a "new member" when I've been a member longer than you have. I'm also willing to bet I've purchased my EVGA products than you have and started using Precision before you did. Point being, I have every right to be pissed and to show how pissed I am in my posts. None of that makes me a troll.

You on the other hand, with your post that does nothing to help the original topic and designed to do nothing but attack another member absolutely makes you a troll. And I have every right to defend myself against you and your ilk. You're also obviously clueless about Precision and the problems it has. Go look at the other forum posts and the change logs for Precision. 6.1.8 has an issue with the OSD activating on it's own. You claiming that you aren't experiencing that problem either makes you a liar, or someone who simply uses the terrible OSD in the place. So you wouldn't notice it activating on it's own like the 99.99999% of other users who keep it disabled.

schulmaster
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 541
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/09 18:28:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby jmaster299 2017/07/09 21:44:34
As a Computer Science graduate student, and aspiring software designer, it is appalling to be subjected to the level of competence the XOC team continues to demonstrate. How is it possible that the OSD cant be reliably disabled? Getting it to work as well as Afterburner's is admittedly a challenge, but maintaining the ability to turn it off in response to its inferiority shouldn't be. 
Next, the asynchronous fans of two, and soon to be three, of the latest iCX SKUS require XOC to work as designed. That's fine. But how is executing that hardware/software connection not a priority? And it definitely isnt; since so many different FTW/SC2 users that have contributed to this thread have observed potentially dangerous malfunctions across various configurations, it's clear that EVGA is either not testing XOC with all their SKUS, which is unacceptable, or are testing an infinitesimal subset of configurations with which they advertise compatibility. How are changes listed as bugfixes actually in worse shape than the version they're "repairing"? I mean, they had to pull down an XOC version because it didn't work with one of their own and newest SKUS. What is that? Is QA broken or non-existent? Is the team having difficulty using github? Do they not have SKUS to test on? Are they just relying on free beta testing to test their software?
Maybe someone's VRMs need to fail, due to their dedicated fan ignoring its curve, to inspire EVGA to apportion either more talent or more money to this design team, because these latest XOC versions have been an embarrassment to the company.
post edited by schulmaster - 2017/07/09 22:23:30

Case: --InWin LE S-Frame #111/500--
Board: ASUS x299 SAGE WS 
CPU: i9 10980XE (18C/36T) @ [4.0GHz - 4.5GHz]
CPU Cooling: Noctua NHD15S 
RAM:
64GB Vengeance PRO Quad Channel @ 3.2GHz 
GPU: ASUS RTX 3090 STRIX OC Edition
Display:
27" 2560x1440 Asus Swift 165Hz IPS GSYNC
Storage:
2x 1TB Micron 1100s SSDs RAID0 (OS)
2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Steam)
4TB WD Enterprise 
1TB 10000RPM Velociraptor
SPU: Creative AE7 
PSU: Corsair AX1600i  
smokinV8
  • Total Posts : 9
Re: XOC 6.1.10 Power/VRM fan ignoring fan curve 2017/07/09 23:00:18 (permalink)
I'm having the same problem with fan curve on xoc 6.1.1.0 with my gtx 1080 ftw2, power fan slider stays at 0 when using custom fan curve 

R7 2700x
G.skill Flare X 3200 cl14
Asus ROG Crosshair vii WiFi
EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2
Samsung Evo 970 500gb m.2 nvme
WD Black 2TB
Evga P2 850w psu
Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Acer X34 100hz G-sync 3440x1440
Razer Taipan \ Razer Black Widow Ultimate 
Astro A50
Windows 10